3333 replies to this topic

#2481 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:26 AM

Why does everyone just assume Fat Filler was some "fat acceptance character," and how many times will I have to explain again, and again she isn't? At the end of the gaiden when she heard that their was a move that would slim her down she instantly wanted to learn it. Other then that she was always a walking fat joke, not a character the staff wanted you to admire.

It's the Hinata-principle. They're not in love with the character as she is intended, they were in love with the character they wanted her to be. They wanted her to be the "fat acceptance character," and were gleefully willing to ignore all the evidence that she's supposed to be the butt of a joke. Now their illusion has come crashing down, and they're upset over what she actually is.

Same thing as people wanting Shinji Ikari to get in the damn robot and kick ass, ignoring that piloting that beautiful behemoth won't magically make his life better.

iSP2FNe.png

Just making your day a little brighter.

#2482 Yyubie

Yyubie

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:23 PM

tumblr_nexjjgShiv1rz4qnxo1_500.gif
An out of control man needs a strong woman to control him.
And even a violent woman will become soft and tender to the man she love.

#2483 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:40 PM

How many gates did he open? Is this he using the initial power like Lee used during the chunin exam that nearly crippled him...or is this the power (all the gates) that might guy's father used to fight the seven swordsmen that killed him, and Might used against Six Sage God Mode Madara that almost killed him if not for Naruto and instead crippled him? If its the former *shrug.* If it is the latter, " everyone being a born natural genius this generation make this story so interesting?"

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 25 August 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#2484 hisaberpie

hisaberpie

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:27 PM

Haha.. metal crying about everyone watching was just a little funny. Just a little. But yes, what bail said. Yet another next gen carbon copy getting another powerup without any hardwork, training or repercussions.

#2485 DrK

DrK

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:10 PM

Same thing as people wanting Shinji Ikari to get in the damn robot and kick ass, ignoring that piloting that beautiful behemoth won't magically make his life better.

I just want to say in all seriousness that I would take Gendo for a father over Naruto any day. He actually loved his son's mother and he wasn't a f***ing loser.

Edited by DrK, 24 August 2018 - 11:10 PM.

#2486 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:22 PM

Haha.. metal crying about everyone watching was just a little funny. Just a little. But yes, what bail said. Yet another next gen carbon copy getting another powerup without any hardwork, training or repercussions.

...So he is using all eight gates isn't he.

#2487 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 12:43 AM

I just want to say in all seriousness that I would take Gendo for a father over Naruto any day. He actually loved his son's mother and he wasn't a f***ing loser.

It also helps that Eva isn't trying to make excuses for Gendo's actions. Gendo is Gendo, flawed as he is.

iSP2FNe.png

#2488 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 02:30 AM

Did I mentioned I hate this series more than anything?  :hm:

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#2489 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 02:17 PM

This is part of one of the most disgusting aspects about Boruto and betrayals of the original.

Since Zabuza, it has been a reoccuring motif that the ninja system views it's members as tools for their villages. It's not all fun and games, it's life and death. We see this reinforced with the Hyuuga's enslavement of the branch families, Gaara being born premature to seal a tailed-beast into, Itachi slaughtering his family (including children) to protect the village, Kabuto's desire for an identity, etc. This is all ignored in the ending, as they have Naruto of all people telling Boruto to "endure his loneliness" and work towards the good of the village. In the end, Naruto became yet another tool of the system while the show tries to say "nah, it wasn't raising kids to be soldiers that made things so messed up. It was an ancient feud, like original sin. If we let go of hatred it will all be okay."

In order to facilitate the sequel though, Naruto also became a tool for the brand. His character was stripped away to make room for Boruto's dad. Hell, the entire main cast was screwed in this regard. Sakura bears Sasuke's child despite all the crap he's put her through, acts as a single mother, their only date lasted minutes, and he's shown to still be annoyed with her. Sasuke gave up his revenge in order to perform black ops for Konoha, dirty jobs the village can't be tied to. That's his "redemption." Even Hinata has had those moments where they tried to make her more Sakura-like in order to make her a better match for Naruto, which says a lot about how bad the pairing actually is.

And this has continued on with the kids. They're meant to be version 2.0's of their parents. Better and more powerful under the guise of "the next generation succeeding the previous." But they're less their own characters, just repaints in some cases. They even try to paint Boruto as just like his dad despite their differences. They are also being raised as child soldiers, and serve as tools to continue on the brand. FFS, the show is even called Boruto: Naruto Next Generations to tell people it's connected to the old.

That is how badly this series has fallen right there.

iSP2FNe.png

#2490 DrK

DrK

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:15 PM

Since Zabuza, it has been a reoccuring motif that the ninja system views it's members as tools for their villages.

Yeah, like a Genin would be a small tool such as a wrench, while a Jonin would be a larger tool like a lawnmower. A higher ranking ninja is a more significant tool for the village. So now that he's the Hokage, Naruto is the biggest tool.

#2491 RulesofNature

RulesofNature

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

Yeah, like a Genin would be a small tool such as a wrench, while a Jonin would be a larger tool like a lawnmower. A higher ranking ninja is a more significant tool for the village. So now that he's the Hokage, Naruto is the biggest tool.

I'd say Genin are more like a chainsaw, while a jonin are something more precise. Naruto, obviously, isn't the sharpest tool in the shed despite his position.

iSP2FNe.png

#2492 Namaenash

Namaenash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 04:58 PM

Its best to wait for Namaenash to look at it to see if its actually legit since she knows this stuff. You can PM her if you want to.

Thanks Derock :) No wonder I was sneezing the other day, haha... 

It's been a while and I hope everyone is doing great! Regarding the news from comicbooks 'journalist' and TV Tokyo Financial Report, here's my take:

It is not something new that you see Naruto franchise to be on the top list of TV Tokyo revenue. But without the right context you will be lost and incorrectly understand the information.

To make sense of any reports, we need to get the right context. Principally, we need to know what -> know how -> know why;  We need to understand how to distinguish data (the numbers on paper), information (the context of the numbers) and knowledge (the reasoning behind such numbers). This is, after all, human cognitive abilities in action...

The title of the link is basically a legit quarterly report of 2018 Q3 from TV Tokyo Holdings. 

https://www.txhd.co....0518_kessan.pdf

Now, to get started with the right context, let's compare with the same financial report from the same period of last year (i.e. 2017 Q3).

https://www.txhd.co....0518_kessan.pdf

Scroll down to the section where they rank it by Anime. Surprise, surprise. In 2017 Q3, Bleach, an anime which ended its run in 2012 was ranked number 3 in sales, beating Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. How can this be?

Now, to appreciate the figures TV Tokyo are trying to present, you need to know the business model of TV Tokyo Holdings. TV Tokyo (and other broadcaster/producer) acquires its revenue from advertising, licensing, etc. In Japan, they are known to be specialized in Anime. Pokemon is broadcasted and produced by TV Tokyo. Likewise with Naruto, Bleach, etc. 

When a series no longer airs, TV Tokyo owns the rights/license for other TV stations in the world to use their content and to broadcast it locally in their respective geographical areas. Whenever other station want to broadcast TV Tokyo's content, they need to pay an amount of fee to TV Tokyo. That's how they earn most of their money. Licensing. 

It's a viable business model for long run, since you can just drop your content to other station in the world who are looking for audience to get revenue from advertisements. So long as there's enough audience, it'll generate revenue accordingly. And that revenue will come back to TV Tokyo.

If you drill down TV Tokyo's 2018 Q3 Financial Report, especially in Anime section, there's a highlight saying "ライツ アニメ:中国市場で「NARUTO」「BORUTO」好調" This basically means that the license / rights sales performs well in China.

Now, China is a huge market for entertainment. Have you ever wondered why Hollywood movies were also produced by China producer these days? Have a look at this simple table to appreciate China's market potential in revenue for entertainment: https://en.wikipedia..._films_in_China    The total gross for that movie in China alone is USD 392million, which is about USD 160million more than it grossed in US (where it is coming from).

Now, back to our discussion, I understand from a colleague of mine working in entertainment industry that contract varies between countries. So, I imagine TV Tokyo would have variety of contracts. And when they sell the rights, it is almost always time-bound. Meaning to say that you pay for a set of episodes to be aired between x date to y date. I can't say exactly and I'm not saying things on behalf of them, however, you can google out how exactly it works.

With such business model, it's no wonder that Bleach, a series that was shut down years ago, can get to rank 3 in 2017 Q3. However, do we see this in the news outlet?

Now, let's switch to different optics. A franchise revenue stream is not just anime. So, how does Naruto fares against other media type?

Enter Naruto Franchise performance in 2018 (first half), which is the most recent one:

Here

hints: it's not even in TOP 30 Franchise in Japan, counted by sales of Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, music CDs, novels, and manga, but not games, film tickets, digital downloads. Naruto franchise as a whole, performs below JPY 815,416,025 (roughly below USD 7million) which is the figure that franchise #30 ranked at, for the first half of 2018. 

For a franchise that generates USD ~8billion in its 15 years-lifetime and counting (with Boruto series), a 6 months revenue of less than USD 7million is so underwhelming. I'm not sure how much exactly Naruto franchise gets. The franchise owner still account Boruto under Naruto franchise. That's the whole point of the ending right?

Compare that to Naruto Franchise performance in 2015 (full year), which was the latest period where Naruto franchise ever gets into TOP 30 in Japan:

Here

In 2015, Naruto franchise produces less than previous years. In the previous years, it's trailing closely behind One Piece. Although this is expected since they produced less manga volume (last volume was in the end of 2014). Although 2 movies were produced in that period, potentially contributing more from BD and DVD as compared to years before.

By the way, in 2015, Naruto franchise generates around USD 35million from sales of Blu-ray Discs, DVDs, music CDs, novels, and manga, but not games, film tickets, digital downloads. Despite lower than years before, it's still remarkable.

That's my observations on the figures presented. And thanks for paying attention to this yawning topic :)

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by Namaenash, 27 August 2018 - 05:16 PM.

http://namaenasuyou.tumblr.com/     ||     https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6308104/

"I'm sorry I didn't believe. But I'd given up believing in so much, until I met you. From the first day I saw you, you were everything I ever wanted to believe in. You can do this, Diana. I know you can...But I have to go."

"What? What are you saying?"

"It's okay, this is what I came here to do. I can save today, but you... you can save the world."

#2493 TheFirstEvil100

TheFirstEvil100

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts
  • Interests:Reading and watching Naruto, play on my PS3 playing on my Pokemon games mainly Pokemon X right now I also like watching good Horror films.

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:10 PM

You know what's funny Lanipator and the others and TFS call Boruto and the new game Garbruto since even TFS know that it's garbage.

#2494 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 05:34 AM

Thank you Name.

Pokemon is actually in 2018 top 30. So if Boruto was above it in sales it would be above it there was well.

So, any recent success of the Naruto franchise is because of the Chinese market which let be honest is so large anything can be a success if it lands there. Though those jokes about Naruto giving off unfortunate political stances become much darker.

You know what's funny Lanipator and the others and TFS call Boruto and the new game Garbruto since even TFS know that it's garbage.

Do they actually say that or do they just call their character that to mock the naming thing SP did?

#2495 Kagomaru

Kagomaru

I will be your Light when you're in the Dark

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:English/Greek literature, psychology, golfing, anime/manga, and video games.

OTPs:
    NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)
    SoKai (Sora x Kairi)
    Kataang (Aang x Katara)
    GoChi (Goku x Chichi)
    NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)
    LuNa (Luffy x Nami)
    IchiRuki (Ichigo x Rukia)
    CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)
    TouKen (Touka x Kaneki)
    EreMika(Eren x Mikasa)
    AruAni (Armin x Annie)
    Gourrina (Gourry x Lina)
    KenKao (Kenshin x Kaoru)
    InuKag (Inuyasha x Kagome)
    Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)
    Sonamy (Sonic x Amy)
    Akizuka (Akira x Shizuka)
    Asaden (Denji x Asa)

Posted 28 August 2018 - 10:31 AM

They haven't had a positive opinion of Naruto for a long while.  Kaiser has called Boruto a shameless cash grab and said the character is like an OC from Naruto fanfiction.

Light and Shadow are the only static creations of this universe. 

#2496 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

They haven't had a positive opinion of Naruto for a long while.  Kaiser has called Boruto a shameless cash grab and said the character is like an OC from Naruto fanfiction.

Oh, last time I remember them mentioning Boruto was when the Salad arc was on going, and at least Grant seemed to somewhat be giving it a chance. If they were kittening on Boruto, and possibility that game they were playing shinobi striker that's going to negatively effect that game. They are an influence; their lets play of Xenoverse helped that series to be a huge hit that it is by showing off the game. I don't think their is another anime group that plays video games that has enough influence to help sell that game if they don't like it.

Well, it not a surprise if older anime fans don't like Boruto. The manga is a slow moving rehash of Naruto, while the anime is pretty much filler that will eventually adapt that rehash.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 29 August 2018 - 03:12 AM.

#2497 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

So any news for today? episode 71 is out 

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#2498 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:56 PM

So any news for today? episode 71 is out 

You want news? I ain't got any, but I got some screenshots:

Edited by Nostradamus, 30 August 2018 - 08:58 PM.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#2499 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 12:30 AM

From what I can see the big news is that the third earth kage is still alive...which we know because he was alive in chapter 700...oh right the fans don't actually read the manga. Why couldn't they have different ending for the anime and manga again?

From Wikipedia: "The first Five Kage Summit since the attack by the Otsutsuki Clan is held in Hidden Leaf. The current Kage as well as their predecessors assemble, except the Third Tsuchikage, Ohnoki. Boruto and Team 7 have been assigned security duty, but Boruto gets bored and lets his guard down. Then by chance, they encounter Ohnoki."

So likely the third will praise bolt calling him truly gifted or something like that, and also give him some advice about life as a ninja.

Also how long has it been since the chunin exam (said attack) a few weeks? How often do they hold a summit...*remembers the latest chapter*...so every few days, right. Never-mind.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 31 August 2018 - 06:09 PM.

#2500 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:50 AM

OK boruto is going to be changing time-slots again. This time it is switching places with Pokemon.

Also apparently their were staff changes after the chunin exams.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users