#1 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:33 AM

http://blogs.indiewi...-shell-20160414

So they actually went through with the Ghost in the shell live action remake.  Comes out 2017. 

Hooray for Whitewashing

#2 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:45 AM

hooray for scarlett johansson getting the role. can't wait to see my future wife play the popular sexy cyborg. :eager:

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

#3 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

http://blogs.indiewi...-shell-20160414

So they actually went through with the Ghost in the shell live action remake.  Comes out 2017. 

Hooray for Whitewashing

Anime itself is whitewashed. Nobody cares in the end.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#4 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:02 PM

Hmm I think the plot will suit well for a live-action, but I fear this might be another disaster like ex. Lucy. : (

Scarjo is not a bad actress, but her lead roles are rarely any good. I don't think it's her type of movie either..even besides that this will be a parade of whiteness except supporting characters who will die.

(speaking of that whitewashing yipyip!)

Edited by sushi., 19 April 2016 - 10:03 PM.

ナルサク

#5 Skarrow

Skarrow

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:35 PM

I've never watched anything directed by Rupert Sanders, and live action-adaptations are hit and miss. And when they miss, they miss badly.

Still, I am hyped.

#6 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:50 AM

If Bollywood make this, it will be indianwashing lol.
And the character will played by fair skin Indian.

I think people need to remember the disaster called live action attack of Titan where eren is a Japanese.

What does it make geisha movie? Chinesewashing? That's a Hollywood movie.

@skarrow
We shall see it, maybe they can use the matrix aproach.

Edited by rocci, 20 April 2016 - 12:52 AM.

#7 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:02 AM

Not really. A lot of western viewers consider many anime characters white even when they really aren't because to westerners, like the American audience, the default human being is a white person, so they perceive anime characters as white. 

#8 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:24 AM

Not really. A lot of western viewers consider many anime characters white even when they really aren't because to westerners, like the American audience, the default human being is a white person, so they perceive anime characters as white. 

Not really, unless it's an anime set in a japanese setting, like school life or modern day Japan. But many anime chatacters are designed with caucasian features. I mean, does Naruto strike you off as a naturally blonde japanese boy?

#9 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:57 AM

Not really, unless it's an anime set in a japanese setting, like school life or modern day Japan. But many anime chatacters are designed with caucasian features. I mean, does Naruto strike you off as a naturally blonde japanese boy?

I mean, it's a sociological study, so it's not like I'm making this up. And Naruto's hair color doesn't really advance your argument at all when you consider the fact that his teammate has pink hair.

#10 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 09:50 AM

I mean, it's a sociological study, so it's not like I'm making this up. And Naruto's hair color doesn't really advance your argument at all when you consider the fact that his teammate has pink hair.

His pinkhair teammate is consider white.

#11 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

Anime characters have different hair and eye colours not to make them white, but just to give them an original design and so that we'd be able to see the difference. I am white and I'm around white people all the time, but I've never seen natural blues and pink. :shrug:

I don't see how these characters could look more 'asian' in the manga. It is set in a Japanese setting, it's a fictional town but it's in 2029 Japan. Besides, I looked at the movie on IMDB and many background actors are Japanese but the three top roles are white. :hm:

But this isn't just an incident, I mean look at this video of an Asian actor's experience with auditioning for death note. That is the most realistic perspective of Japan that I've seen in a manga, yet they're only looking for white actors.

ナルサク

#12 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

geenraly dont agree with the claims of white washing in asian inspired films while it ahs been a problem mind you its all too often a lot fo smoke but little actual fire.

In this particular case though I highly disagree because the character of Motoko Kusanagi is actually somewhat vague in regards to her ethinicity and even her gender.

multiple instances in various media actually question who she really is and where shes from leaving both mysterious. Bato on one occasion even questions why she uses a female body type suggesting she could use a male form if desired.

The casting of Scarlet Jo is a good one imo because shes shown she has the action chops to pull off the role and she can do the intensity of Kusanagi as well. Ming Na Wen would also be a good choice as we know shes got both.

My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#13 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:46 PM

His pinkhair teammate is consider white.

Based on what? Where did Kishi say this?

#14 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:59 AM

Based on what? Where did Kishi say this?

In interview or author note, he said that if Hollywood made naruto, the three main characters will be play by a white guy(naruto), a white gitl(sakura), and Japanese American guy(sasuke).

#15 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:39 PM

In interview or author note, he said that if Hollywood made naruto, the three main characters will be play by a white guy(naruto), a white gitl(sakura), and Japanese American guy(sasuke).

I don't see how that is comparable considering no such comment has been made about this manga. My rule is, Japanese unless said otherwise. :w00t:

ナルサク

#16 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:48 AM

I've been thinking for a while about the casting of Scarlett Johansson in Ghost of the Shell, and I've come to the conclusion that, quite frankly, I don't care. My trust in live-adaptation is low to begin with, and you can't blame me for that.

As an Asian living in the US, I, of course, would be delighted to see more Asians being cast in Hollywood. However, I do not want to see this happening in anime adaptations or movies that naturally require an Asian cast (e.g. The Geisha). True, these kind of movies create more casting opportunities for Asians, but the kinds of movies I want to see Asians casted in are the regular Hollywood movies. The same goes for the other minorities in the US.

In the particular case of Ghost in the Shell, Makoto is a freaking cyborg to begin with. She does not belong to any race. So yeah, it won't matter to me who will act as Makoto. It is offensive though when they try to use CGI to make others look more Asian. In that case, simply make adjustments.

They did that with Attack on Titan, the live action movie, and that worked out fine (except for the reviews). Due to the homogenous society in Japan, they had no choice but to use Asian actors and change certain characters names.

Whitewashing is what I call what happened with Avatar. That movie was just a clusterkitten when it came to the races associated with the nations in the movie.

Edited by trang95, 27 April 2016 - 03:04 AM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#17 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 11:01 AM

I don't see how that is comparable considering no such comment has been made about this manga. My rule is, Japanese unless said otherwise. :w00t:

By this manga you mean ghost in the shell or naruto?

Well, I don't think it work exactly like that.
We should see the setting and the character itself.
But then this is an adaptation and sometimes (if not most) it doesn't follow the source material religiously *cough wwz cough*

#18 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

By this manga you mean ghost in the shell or naruto?

Well, I don't think it work exactly like that.
We should see the setting and the character itself.
But then this is an adaptation and sometimes (if not most) it doesn't follow the source material religiously *cough wwz cough*

I mean ghost. This manga being the topic of the thread, sorry if it was confusing.

But following the source material closely is hardly the point. This wouldn't bother me if it wasn't a part of a bigger picture, but it is. First of all haven't you noticed it's almost never the other way around? I mean, white characters cast by not white actors. And second, if the setting isn't Japanese, then why did they cast white main actors and then a handful of Japanese actors for support/background characters?

This video sums up my point nicely

Here is a summary of the long history of whitewashing in Hollywood, and I just don't want the list to grow. It's true that I've seen worse than this(I thought I had seen it all when I saw a white Moses, but Doctor Strange will come soon and top it all.), but it still counts imo. It's all a part of the same pattern. The Avatar film is probably more racist than GIS, but I think the reason that led Katara to be cast as white, is the same reason Motoko was cast as white.

Edited by sushi., 26 April 2016 - 06:29 PM.

ナルサク

#19 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:51 AM

I mean ghost. This manga being the topic of the thread, sorry if it was confusing.

But following the source material closely is hardly the point. This wouldn't bother me if it wasn't a part of a bigger picture, but it is. First of all haven't you noticed it's almost never the other way around? I mean, white characters cast by not white actors. And second, if the setting isn't Japanese, then why did they cast white main actors and then a handful of Japanese actors for support/background characters?

This video sums up my point nicely

Here is a summary of the long history of whitewashing in Hollywood, and I just don't want the list to grow. It's true that I've seen worse than this(I thought I had seen it all when I saw a white Moses, but Doctor Strange will come soon and top it all.), but it still counts imo. It's all a part of the same pattern. The Avatar film is probably more racist than GIS, but I think the reason that led Katara to be cast as white, is the same reason Motoko was cast as white.

Really? I guess that's true considering the originally white villain will be played by a black actor. Whitewashing indeed. At this point it's starting to feel like nitpicking.

Either way I don't really care. Hollywood doesn't really excell at making good adaptations of japanese series. I don't see any reason Ghost in the Shell will fare any better in that regard, regardless of racial group the main actors belong to.

#20 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:30 AM

I want to post this in response to all the people crying "White washing"

Japanese fans have NO ISSUES with Scarlett Johansson. In fact, they feel she was perfect for the role.

http://comicbook.com...nese-reactions/

So....it appears that only...."left sided people" have a problem with things while the rest of the world doesn't care.

Cough cough.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2d8lt07.png

http://i63.tinypic.com/dmtkyx.png

And probably one of the biggest offenders.

http://i66.tinypic.com/erifro.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/w5kyu.jpg

Black washing perhaps?

We may even be starting a new trend of "Gender-Washing" now.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/wum2hc.jpg

There are plenty of cases where white roles went to black people or other people. There are plenty of Black washing, Hispanic washing, and so much more. We are even starting to do gender washing and changing the roles.

Problem is, there is a....ahem A certain political position group of people who choose to ignore all the other examples or claims to be "not as bad." And it is these reason why "equality" that everyone wants or claims they want can never exist until this kind of thinking goes away. You calim white washing to things that may have nothing to do with white washing so much as just "Resources" or "artistic choice." Not everything is a case of racism or sexism and if it is, why isn't the other way around considered just as bad when it does happen? Equality means that it can happen both ways. Not to mention that it seems like with every definition the definition of things keep changing.

So, to be perfectly honest, I think people need to shut up about "white washing" and just enjoy the movie for what it is.

Should we be kittening that British actors play German or even French roles or do you think that "Culture washing" doesn't exist either?

Edited by James S Cassidy, 10 April 2017 - 02:47 AM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users