85 replies to this topic

#41 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

naru, how about checking out that part of this week's manga chapter I asked you for??

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#42 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for helping me out guys. Your help improves my English happy.gif

I'm actually sorry but I think I want to get back to my original intention of translating, which was to correct the mistakes of the MR or MS translation. I think I'm good at finding mistakes on the translated version because every time I read I feel the translation is wrong or it's translated something left to interpretation(for example, Sakura thinking "hinata loves Naruto" when in reality there was no word to show what she thought in raw) but at the same time I'm not good at translating something myself. For example, I still don't know what the big difference between reeled in by, hooked, fall, caught, or trapped is, in other words I still think each of these whichever is used will give out the overall same meaning to Kushina's sentence. And THIS is a big problem because it means that I can't give out accurate translations therefore it looks biased(which contradicts the purpose of this thread).

I'm very sorry but I shouldn't have agreed in the first place. You guys deserve a much better translation than the one I can give sweatdrop.gif
So in the end, if you give me a panel I'll point out whether the translation is wrong or right happy.gif

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Oct 15 2011, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently 引っかかる according to google means "trapped". http://translate.goo...

"Trapped" may come a bit strong but I'm not so sure:headscratch:

QUOTE (Codus N @ Oct 15 2011, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh boy, what have I gotten ourselves into?? rolleyes.gif now narunaru is all confused as well laugh.gif .

ah, so Nagato was indeed mentioned. did it say that the real Madara indeed waited/expected himself to be revived?? could you please translate the part about Nagato??

http://mangastream.c...ruto/94539395/3

Just the first panel, that's all...

Sorry, I missed your post sweatdrop.gif

In the MS version it says, "It would appear that little brat Nagato managed to grow." But in the raw, Madara is talking like another force made Nagato grow. To use a very direct translation it would be, "Finally....The Nagato Kid...was managed to grow well

It's kind of like, "Naruto was taught well." Which indicates that a third party taught him. This sentence is the same.

Edited by narunarunaru, 15 October 2011 - 02:29 PM.

268702-181926-kaworu-nagisa.jpg

#43 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Onionhead Attacks @ Oct 15 2011, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
However, "get reeled in by" seems to suggest that the "weird one" was the one doing the choosing and influencing Naruto's choice rather than him making an unbiased choice by himself. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the phrase was written passively so if you were to re-write it, the phrase should come out as "(Weird one) reels in (You)." Grammatically speaking, "Weird One" would be the direct object and "You" would be the indirect object, which the verb, reels in, is acting on. When written this way, you can see the change in subjects. Your translation suggests that Naruto does the choosing, but boyakist's translation suggests that the Weird One does the choosing.

Well it's not like he would REMEMBER that conversation he was sleeping tongue.gif GOOD JOB thumbsup.gif

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#44 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Oct 14 2011, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, the goal of this thread is to find unbiased translation, remember?? wink.gif I'm just telling him to try harder at making his translations sounds neutral pairing wise.

It's not a biased translation if it's an accurate translation. Just pointing that out.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#45 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Oct 15 2011, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for helping me out guys. Your help improves my English happy.gif

I'm actually sorry but I think I want to get back to my original intention of translating, which was to correct the mistakes of the MR or MS translation. I think I'm good at finding mistakes on the translated version because every time I read I feel the translation is wrong or it's translated something left to interpretation(for example, Sakura thinking "hinata loves Naruto" when in reality there was no word to show what she thought in raw) but at the same time I'm not good at translating something myself. For example, I still don't know what the big difference between reeled in by, hooked, fall, caught, or trapped is, in other words I still think each of these whichever is used will give out the overall same meaning to Kushina's sentence. And THIS is a big problem because it means that I can't give out accurate translations therefore it looks biased(which contradicts the purpose of this thread).

I'm very sorry but I shouldn't have agreed in the first place. You guys deserve a much better translation than the one I can give sweatdrop.gif
So in the end, if you give me a panel I'll point out whether the translation is wrong or right happy.gif

"Trapped" may come a bit strong but I'm not so sure:headscratch:

Sorry, I missed your post sweatdrop.gif

In the MS version it says, "It would appear that little brat Nagato managed to grow." But in the raw, Madara is talking like another force made Nagato grow. To use a very direct translation it would be, "Finally....The Nagato Kid...was managed to grow well

It's kind of like, "Naruto was taught well." Which indicates that a third party taught him. This sentence is the same.

Which is why someone needs to help you with your translations as an assistant. Said assistant would help you give ideas or alternatives in your word choice. Now, who's up for it??

Ah, thanks for the translation. But.... what about his other statement?? where it seemed as if he actually expected to be revived??

248793.jpg

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#46 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

You're all so confusing!! XD

#47 naruto-z

naruto-z

The Dream Is Real

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:34 PM

Alright, hello everybody.
Sorry that I've been gone for maybe 12 hours. This thread really has blown up after I posted it (which is quite a good thing).
I won't be quoting anyone because this post would otherwise be immensely huge.

I'd like to start off by mentioning this. It is just a forewarning and not meant to be directed at anyone, but I am a bit nervous about this. I don't want to overwhelm Narunarunaru because I already know you feel a bit stressed. I want you to know this choice that you've made has already been of a big help and that you shouldn't feel like you're the one that needs to feel obliged, we should be the ones. So please, everyone, be as respectful to Narunarunaru as possible. If you have suggestions, please be as nice as possible about them. We'll get this thread right in time as we get some more practice and get things rolling smoother.

In the case of Codus, I would certainly love to help out Narunarunaru. Since, yes, I did start this thread it is my fault if anyones if Narunarunaru feels stressed so I will do my to help you. What would be perfect would be to have some sort of private chat system that can be a little easier to use so that she/he may ask me questions for the best possible choices for vocabulary. I won't be able to help with Japanese, but I can help you in deciding the best choice of words. It wouldn't hurt to have others help out as well if possible because I know I won't be able to be on here 24/7 and based on how fast this thread grew, we're going to probably need more than just me to help out. For now, Narunarunaru, if you have any questions just message me and I'll reply ASAP.

And as a last note, if you would please if you feel comfortable about this, are you a guy or a girl Narunarunaru? Since we seem to struggle on this piece as well laugh.gif

#48 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

Okay, it took me forever to find it (the site I use to get raws doesn't have any chapters earlier than 461), but I've finally got something worth translating. It's Yamato's famous unfinished sentence at the Tenchi Bridge.

This scene's been bothering me for a while, so much so that I made a thread about it when I joined this site. I guess it mainly bothers me how, based on every translation I've seen, it seems incredibly obvious what Yamato's about to say, and yet the moment apparently doesn't seem that obvious to a large portion of the shipping fandom. I'm not sure if it's because it was translated wrong, or if it's just because it was a third-party source that pointed it out (an irrelevant point, IMO, seeing as how this is a fictional story, and these scenes are inserted for a reason). In any case, I've seen so many translations of it, from Yamato simply pointing out Sakura caring for Naruto, to the subbed anime's version: "...the truth is, you really l-", I'm curious as to what the actual line is, and whether or not the unfinished line is just as obvious as in the original version. I'm also curious as to how the sentence is broken in Japanese, since I know Japanese sentence structure is a bit different than English.

Also, I like how busy this thread has become. It's nice to see so many interested in translations. happy.gif

Edited by Boom...Winning, 18 October 2011 - 01:24 AM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#49 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

First I want to say a BIIIG huge thanks to Narunaru. I am happy you are willing to do this despite the stress that might occur.

I want to say that people want unbiased translators, but what if if it's the readers that are biased? Since translations between Japanese and English is hard, there is no doubt that weird translations can occur. What word fits in the right context? Since one word can mean several in another language which one best suits the meaning of the conversation? To the Japanese, it matters little since all the words fit into the same translations and mean the same thing, but to us it's different. (ex. "ensnare," "Fall," "hooked")

I want everyone to make sure they are unbiased first BEFORE they accuse the translator. And since we are all NS fans for the most part, it's kind of hard. To me, I rather have as close to the real thing as I can.

The weirdest translation to me is the "Daisuki" or "suki" translation. Since this word can be both "Love" and "(really)like" and both inter-changeable, then which one fits? NaruNaru mentioned that both were used in the Hinata and Sakura confessions. So basically you can say Hinata actually said "It's because...I really like you, Naruto." I don't think the NH fans would that like very much, just as much as I would hate it if they did it to Sakura's.

Even in English, people have problems with what the words mean. Love = sibling or Love = romantic or love = I like you. I don't really blame the translators as much as I blame the readers. There really is not definitive way to distinguish "Love" in language alone and thus we also have to look at the visuals as well. I could easily say that Hinata's confession was a brother/sisterly love because of this fact. Some will say "but she loved him throughout the series." Yeah Naruto loved Sakura through out the whole series...what's your point? Plus, it's not uncommon for characters to misinterpret their own feelings. Look at Quistis in Final Fantasy VIII. She thought she was in love with Squall, when really she wanted to take on the sister role like his sis did. What if this happened with Hinata? What if she realized she didn't want to be his lover, just to be his sister because she knew he had no family?

Chances are, this is all wrong, but I am just saying it can happen this way.

One last thing:
Really Like = Love?
To the Japanese, these two seem the same. At least by what Narunaru said.
To English speakers...well I see them being the same, but some see them as being different.

Don't need to go out of your way narunaru, but is there a clear difference between "Love" and "Really like" in Japanese? What I mean is, do they have different meanings if a person says this to another.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 18 October 2011 - 06:29 PM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#50 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Oct 18 2011, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There really is not definitive way to distinguish "Love" in language alone and thus we also have to look at the visuals as well. I could easily say that Hinata's confession was a brother/sisterly love because of this fact. Some will say "but she loved him throughout the series." Yeah Naruto loved Sakura through out the whole series...what's your point?

That may be the case for english, but it isn't the case for Japanese from what I recall. There are separate terms of love you would say to a family member compared to what you would say to someone you are interested in. When it is translated to english is where it might lose its actual focus, but I'm pretty sure for the Japanese it is clear what type of love is being mentioned.

#51 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Oct 18 2011, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That may be the case for english, but it isn't the case for Japanese from what I recall. There are separate terms of love you would say to a family member compared to what you would say to someone you are interested in. When it is translated to english is where it might lose its actual focus, but I'm pretty sure for the Japanese it is clear what type of love is being mentioned.

Exactly. That's what I am talking about. This is where the biased comes in.

It is straight forward in Japanese, but when translated is where people start "speculating." So is it the translators or is it the people reading it? If you have an unbiased translator, then the only thing to biased it is the readers.

In Japan, Sakura's confession was truth, but when translated people say she is lying. So if the SAME term is used on both confessions, then Sakura does NOT see Naruto as a brother and vice-versa.

Just because the readers confuse it, doesn't mean the scene is confusing. XD
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#52 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (James S Cassidy @ Oct 18 2011, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. That's what I am talking about. This is where the biased comes in.

It is straight forward in Japanese, but when translated is where people start "speculating." So is it the translators or is it the people reading it? If you have an unbiased translator, then the only thing to biased it is the readers.

In Japan, Sakura's confession was truth, but when translated people say she is lying. So if the SAME term is used on both confessions, then Sakura does NOT see Naruto as a brother and vice-versa.

Just because the readers confuse it, doesn't mean the scene is confusing. XD

I think you are talking about two separate issues though. On one hand is the dialogue being used. Sakura used romantic love terminology the same as Hinata used. Both said close to the same thing; it was a confession so that is to be expected.

The other issue is whether or not it is truthful. This has to do with other factors outside of the terminology. Where in Hinata's case it was obviously truthful given her in the moment actions, other words, and her prior actions and words, with Sakura it was not straight-forward. Sakura's actions and other dialogue put her words into doubt. It doesn't matter what term for love she used if she wasn't being truthful. As far as translations go, her opening 'I love you' is probably the last line that needs to have a second look. More-so the rest of her speech is more important. The fact that she was confessing her love wasn't doubted. Whether or not her feelings matched her words was.

However, if you only mean to clarify that Sakura doesn't see Naruto as a brother, then I do agree with you. There is quite a bit of evidence to support a 'non-brother love', but that hasn't yet been clarified as strictly a 'romantic love' at this point (because of the above mentioned reasoning).

#53 AzureWaters

AzureWaters

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:51 PM

Ooh, interesting thread. biggrin.gif

Do you mind translating chapter 539 page 16 and 540's first page? In general I know whats being said, but I'd like to know the context of the words, such as Love Fodder's "Hope it works out for you/ Hope there will be a solution between you too (does he say that in the exact words?) and Sakura's "there's someone else I.." I've seen it being put as blatantly "someone else I love" or it goes into ellipses.

Thanks.

#54 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

Ok, someone named aegon-rokudo posted this translation of 559 at MH:

i-it’s him…!\\
what the meaning of this!?\\
… what?\\
look at him… those eyes… that’s edo tensei!\\
edo tensei is a technique that reincarnates a dead person in this world… so\\ it means that he was already dead\\
w-wait a minute…!\\ according to the information coming from the headquarters another madara is coming here with the jinchuurikies…!\\
in that case…\\
who is the man… hiding behind that mask!?\\

Could you please confirm this??

Here's the Raw:

Naruto 559

248793.jpg

#55 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

UM I have a request if you don't mind Could Naru check that 2009-2010 interview I think someone made a biased translation that Kishimoto said Hinata would make a better heroine than Sakura or something which did not happen at all so We know it was a Hinata OBSESSED otaku translating it mellow.gif

#56 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Oct 25 2011, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UM I have a request if you don't mind Could Naru check that 2009-2010 interview I think someone made a biased translation that Kishimoto said Hinata would make a better heroine than Sakura or something which did not happen at all so We know it was a Hinata OBSESSED otaku translating it mellow.gif

Phantom that was already explained Kishimoto never said anything like that, it was in one of the fan NH letters that he read. He expalined it to the Japanese voice cast of shippuden and the person who interviewed him.

Edited by Gravenimage, 25 October 2011 - 02:30 PM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#57 crazyefra

crazyefra

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Living, Having a lot of friends. <br />In terms of music, anything but Bachata (excluding Juan Luis Guerra), Reggaeton and Merengue. <br />In terms of anime and T.V. shows, Naruto, Bleach, Kekkaishi, Psych, Burn Notice, Mythbusters, Family Guy, Attack of the Show, White Collar, Heroes. <br />In terms of movies, anything but Twilight, &quot;girly&quot; movies, high school &quot;dramas&quot;, horror movies (excluding zombie flicks). <br />In terms of fanfics, I only read stories with NS as the pairing or Naruharem fics with Sakura being part of it and nothing where Sakura or Naruto gets bashed constantly and killed like if they were animals.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

Can this part (the sixth panel) be translated correctly
Naruto's speech bubles --Click here to view--

Edited by crazyefra, 25 October 2011 - 06:28 PM.

そして、あなたの声は私が聞いたすべてだった
しかし、私に値するものを手に入れる

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSaku, (Fem)NaruSaku, NaruSasu (as brothers, rivals, best friends), ShikaTema, NaruInoSaku, NaruHarem (excluding Hinata), MinaKushi, ChouIno, YahiKona
Fairy Tail: NatsuLucy, NatsuErza :D
Bleach: IchiRukia

Characters:
Naruto: Naruto, Sakura, Shikamaru, Konan, Gaara, Kushina, Kakashi, Ino
Fairy Tail: Erza, Happy, Natsu, Grey, Lucy, Gajeel
Bleach: Ichigo, Nell, Kenpachi, Rukia, Karin, Kon

Misc.: Linkin Park, Green Day

In between Anti and Pro: --Click here to view--

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSakuHina, SakuHina, NaruTayu, KibaHina, SakuKarin
Bleach: IchiHime

Characters:
Naruto: Hinata, Tayuya, Karin, Itachi
Bleach: Orihime, Chad

Misc.: Yuri :D

Pairings:
Naruto: SasuSaku, NaruHina, NaruSasu (as gay lovers), KakaSaku, SasuAnyone, ShikaIno

Characters:
Naruto: Sasuke, Madara, "fanon" Hinata (not to be confused with canon Hinata), Kabuto
Bleach: Aizen, Yamamoto

Misc.:Twilight, Yaoi, Fillers, Sakura bashing

#58 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Oct 25 2011, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phantom that was already explained Kishimoto never said anything like that, it was in one of the fan NH letters that he read. He expalined it to the Japanese voice cast of shippuden and the person who interviewed him.

OH it was an off hand comment just put in as part of the interview by, as I said a Hinata spaz and he said nothing about it at all. mellow.gif I thought that was part of the speech made biased. okay never mind

QUOTE (crazyefra @ Oct 25 2011, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can this part (the sixth panel) be translated correctly
Naruto's speech bubles --Click here to view--

I think Naru translated that already crazyfra

Edited by Phantom_999, 25 October 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#59 crazyefra

crazyefra

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Living, Having a lot of friends. <br />In terms of music, anything but Bachata (excluding Juan Luis Guerra), Reggaeton and Merengue. <br />In terms of anime and T.V. shows, Naruto, Bleach, Kekkaishi, Psych, Burn Notice, Mythbusters, Family Guy, Attack of the Show, White Collar, Heroes. <br />In terms of movies, anything but Twilight, &quot;girly&quot; movies, high school &quot;dramas&quot;, horror movies (excluding zombie flicks). <br />In terms of fanfics, I only read stories with NS as the pairing or Naruharem fics with Sakura being part of it and nothing where Sakura or Naruto gets bashed constantly and killed like if they were animals.

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

@Phantom_999
I went through the whole thread and I didn't see a translation for that part of 559.

Edited by crazyefra, 25 October 2011 - 09:28 PM.

そして、あなたの声は私が聞いたすべてだった
しかし、私に値するものを手に入れる

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSaku, (Fem)NaruSaku, NaruSasu (as brothers, rivals, best friends), ShikaTema, NaruInoSaku, NaruHarem (excluding Hinata), MinaKushi, ChouIno, YahiKona
Fairy Tail: NatsuLucy, NatsuErza :D
Bleach: IchiRukia

Characters:
Naruto: Naruto, Sakura, Shikamaru, Konan, Gaara, Kushina, Kakashi, Ino
Fairy Tail: Erza, Happy, Natsu, Grey, Lucy, Gajeel
Bleach: Ichigo, Nell, Kenpachi, Rukia, Karin, Kon

Misc.: Linkin Park, Green Day

In between Anti and Pro: --Click here to view--

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSakuHina, SakuHina, NaruTayu, KibaHina, SakuKarin
Bleach: IchiHime

Characters:
Naruto: Hinata, Tayuya, Karin, Itachi
Bleach: Orihime, Chad

Misc.: Yuri :D

Pairings:
Naruto: SasuSaku, NaruHina, NaruSasu (as gay lovers), KakaSaku, SasuAnyone, ShikaIno

Characters:
Naruto: Sasuke, Madara, "fanon" Hinata (not to be confused with canon Hinata), Kabuto
Bleach: Aizen, Yamamoto

Misc.:Twilight, Yaoi, Fillers, Sakura bashing

#60 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:42 PM

oh my bad then But I remember him translating part of 559 somewhere headscratch.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users