76 replies to this topic

#41 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 02:44 PM

The problem with KA is that it's a utterly unworthy relationship. Korra made moves on Mako while he was with Asami, bringing her a great deal of pain. And not even once Korra had the guts to open up and apologize to Asami from what she's done. Wow... what a hero. Korra doesn't deserve Asami. She and Mako deserve to be forever alone for all their romantic douchyness. Asami deserved better.

Not to mention those Bryke jerks happly use KA as a shield for criticism. "oh, you didn't like it? clearly you are an evil homophobe". Well, maybe I didn't like it because the foundation of the relationship was utterly horrible! I despise when people try to pull that cheap card and I sure have no respect whatsoever for Bryke at this point.

Edited by alexander, 18 September 2016 - 02:44 PM.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#42 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:13 PM

I shipped Aang and Toph

That is all.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#43 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

I shipped Aang and Toph

That is all.

that reminds me of the shrek shipping war meme XD you're donkey.

ナルサク

#44 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:24 PM

that reminds me of the shrek shipping war meme XD you're donkey.

In the morning I'm making WAFFLES!

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#45 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 12:41 AM

I shipped Aang and Toph

That is all.

Same here. 

Consequently, I didn't give a rip about the Zutara/Kaang war. It was nice.

#46 RedFaction

RedFaction

Legendary Pirate

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:32 AM

I was pretty young when the series was running (10-13), so I didn't even know there was a shipping war going on. I never even thought Zutara was a thing.

When the series ended I thought Kaang was the best way to end it, and that still hasn't changed.

#47 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 02:54 AM

Yup  and nothing wrong there bud :smile:

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#48 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

I shipped Aang and Toph

That is all.

I always feel that it would be nice if she paired up with katara brother.

#49 Yojeveka

Yojeveka

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku, Pokémon, Nuzlockes, Voice Acting

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:45 AM

I always feel that it would be nice if she paired up with katara brother.

Same here, they were kinda cute.

Fun fact, some fans believe that Sokka is the father of Suyin (her youngest daughter)

2r2sxtg.gif

*Needs an English Talker*

#50 soraandven

soraandven

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:02 AM

i ship sokka and suki and idk why the comics are trying to pair her up with zuko unless im misreading it 

tumblr_inline_o0t4b3AHI71txjvtf_500.gif

#51 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:35 PM

Do you guys think bryke might might sabotage kataang more if the zutara head writer came back? If they allow a retcon like what they did with star wars? At this point i really can not  trust bryke.  :ermm:

#52 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:05 PM

This statement sums up my disappointment with kataang in the end of season 3.

http://kataangcaps.t...t-of-kataang-in

how i deal with the kitten treatment of kataang in the last half of s3

As you all probably know, Kataang is my OTP of OTPs. I seriously love this ship more than anything and that’s why I’m so pissed off about what happened to them in S3. I had to figure out a way to reconcile my love for the ship and the kitten treatment it got in the end. Every way I look at it, I’ve had to either insert additional scenes or erase scenes from canon. The way it’s presented on the show makes NO SENSE to me no matter how I look at it. And that’s just not good. You shouldn’t be forcing your audience to do brain surgery just for it to make sense. Headcanons should be fun extra stuff; they shouldn’t be required. 

And what really pisses me off isn’t just that it’s bad writing. I can forgive writing mistakes cause hey, nothing’s perfect and sometimes you just overlook a few things. But the way this played out really made me lose some respect for Bryke. This was a pretty clear attempt to stall the Kataang relationship in order to please all the shippers, at the expense of the characters and their natural development. Which is such kitten cause you should at least have the integrity to stand by your choices and make it the best story possible, and not sacrifice the story to please fans (who are going to hate it anyways). It would explain why Kataang, the most prominent relationship of the series, was reduced to barely any interaction in the last episodes with no explanation, except in the very very last minute of the series when the ratings would’ve been counted already. Or why they altered a storyboard to backtrack on Katara’s feelings for Aang and make it seem more up in the air when that makes no sense for her character because we’ve already seen her get jealous at other girls and show interest in him. 

1. First way to make sense of things is to simply ignore/erase Ember Island Players altogether and assume they had a separate conversation earlier about holding off on romance for now. This is my preferred method cause that balcony scene in EIP was so unnecessary and didn’t add anything to either character. Had the show actually explored Katara’s reasons for stalling and maybe given us some back story on why she wasn’t ready at that moment, then that would’ve been fine but since they didn’t bother with that, the whole scene should’ve been deleted and left on the cutting room floor. It really makes no sense at all that Katara, the most nurturing and sweet person on the show, who worries over Aang’s well-being constantly (or at least she did before her OOC turn), who wants him to talk out his issues with her even when he doesn’t feel like it, would simply leave Aang in a dust of uncertainty right before he’s about to go face his potential death. It just doesn’t compute. 

2. The most popular way this is dealt with in fan fiction is to make it all about how Katara’s afraid of losing Aang. I have a few problems with this still and it also requires adding extra scenes to canon in which she explains this. First of all, if this was the reason, I’m pretty sure Katara would’ve just told Aang right away and then they’d talk it out and come to a mutual understanding. It’s OOC for Katara to be cryptic to him. That’s not really who she is, she’s someone who speaks her mind and wears her heart on her sleeve. We saw that from the way she reacted when Aang was struck with lightning (even in the lost advestures comics, she is constantly in anguish over him) and then when he ran away. Katara does not hide these things from anyone. If she suddenly developed this new defense mechanism, then the audience deserves to see that and not just have it be an assumption. There is that scene in the comics but that was still incredibly vague and didn’t give any real answers. At least it emphasized a little more that Katara wanted Aang to focus on the firelord, but doesn’t say much about her own feelings for him. 

3. The way it’s presented on the show as it is, to me, only mildly works with the interpretation that there is now a serious rift in Kataang’s relationship and that Katara’s feelings for Aang are actually in question now (even if that’s inconsistent with her behavior from the first half of S3) that would require a much longer time to repair than just a kiss on a balcony. There are some fan fics that go this route and put a longer time gap between the end of the show and when Kataang finally gets together (years even). But looking at their behavior towards each other in the last episodes, this is really the only interpretation that works without having to add a bunch of missing scenes. They basically ignore each other, fight a little and then pretend they don’t exist to each other and are barely even friends. Look at Katara’s reaction to Aang’s disappearance - it’s basically nothing. She reacts like someone who needs to find the Avatar, not someone whose best friend is gone. She continues to make jokes and laugh even, not really thinking much about the fact that Aang was effectively wiped off the map according to Jun. Compare that to how she reacts in The Awakening when she literally runs out in tears and has a total breakdown when she thinks Aang is going to face the firelord alone. And Aang’s fight with the group about killing the firelord, she has no reaction at all to Zuko being a kitten about it or the others laughing and is very easily convinced not to follow Aang. Another inconsistency given the way Katara used to constantly try to talk out problems with Aang and is always understanding of all the pressure put on him.. and in turn, Aang doesn’t seem to care either. 

Hence why I think all this points to Aang and Katara drifting away from each other towards the end. Their relationship is so fundamentally different from the past two and a half seasons. They act more like casual friends who just met and who, in all honesty, don’t even get along very well. There isn’t even a reunion scene; it’s like they don’t even exist to each other. There was more love in Aang/Sokka’s reunion when Sokka is totally fanboying cause that was so consistent of their established friendship. I mean, Katara/Zuko get a big touching moment for the finale (supposedly the pairing that Bryke hates yet still felt the need to dole out a lot of fanservice). Every other relationship gets at least some significant interaction, except Kataang. If you take out the last minute of the show, it would actually make sense because Kataang getting together at this stage really doesn’t work. They don’t seem to care about each other anymore, they barely even think of each other’s well-being, and there’s still that huge shadow of Katara’s rejection. That’s not a good start to a new relationship - there’s no sense of trust between them at this point, there’s no closeness, and it’s a shadow of their former dynamic. This is assuming you don’t have an elaborate headcanon that fills in lots of extra scenes, but the way it is on the show. 

And I think that would’ve been.. okay had the show gone this route instead of just tacking on a kiss at the very end with no conversation between them. It’s like trying to fix a bullet wound with a band-aid. Them making out into the sunset doesn’t address this rift between them. What’s going to  happen when they have a fight? Of course Aang will start to doubt Katara’s feelings for him because her change in tune was so random. It actually would’ve make more sense to have them drift away from each other for some time and then bring them back together with the correct development. 

All in all, the last half of S3 is riddled with problems and the Kataang development is a BIG one. You took a relationship that developed beautifully for 2 and ½ seasons, that had been established as an extremely close bond with mutual affection involved and just stomped all over it in the last episodes. The balcony kiss is a beautiful scene but it never fulfills the potential of this pairing because of how poorly things were handled leading up to it. I wish when I watched the kiss that I thought of their scenes in The Desert of when Katara brought Aang back to life or their dance in The Headband but unfortunately, it’s muddled by all this unnecessary drama from Ember Island Players and the complete lack of interaction in the finale. 

It’s still a beautiful ship and I will ship it until the end of time, but the fact that it could’ve been so much better just pisses me off because all these problems were completely avoidable and could’ve been fixed so easily. It’s such a shame that an almost perfect ship was dragged through the mud just so they wouldn’t lose viewers for the finale. 

#53 soraandven

soraandven

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,357 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:38 AM

i think kataang is a great pairing its my favorit nick piring next to arnold and helga

tumblr_inline_o0t4b3AHI71txjvtf_500.gif

#54 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 06:08 AM

Well personally I don't like straight culture I think their lifestyle is weird :))

To each their own ofc :*

ナルサク

#55 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

I know this thread is old but i no longer ship kataang anymore i do not care if mike and bryan had the intention to pair kataang in the past. The fact that they changed there opinions  and are trashing on the ships they made canon is not forgivable.  

Plus the series as a whole is hard to look back at it just got ruined for good unless....

Theres was a way to  bring back aaron ehinez and fire mike and Bryan for good. I don't mind the ideas that aaron ehinez has especially  his zutara idea. To be fare im starting to like zutara more i liked there chemistry and they seem to be more compatable unlike how many anti fans make the ship look very toxic even tho kataang falls into the toxicness in comics and especially in lok. :ermm:   

Another thing i read is that the new korra comics had firelord sozin  hating on gays and thats why gay relationships were banned. Thats some big baiting right there. Sozin in the original series did not hate gays he was ruthless leader that wanted to take over the world. Bryke really are trying to bring back lost fans, it not going to happen.  -_-

Edited by rikakim94, 31 July 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#56 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

I know this thread is old but i no longer ship kataang anymore i do not care if mike and bryan had the intention to pair kataang in the past. The fact that they changed there opinions  and are trashing on the ships they made canon is not forgivable.  

Plus the series as a whole is hard to look back at it just got ruined for good unless....

Theres was a way to  bring back aaron ehinez and fire mike and Bryan for good. I don't mind the ideas that aaron ehinez has especially  his zutara idea. To be fare im starting to like zutara more i liked there chemistry and they seem to be more compatable unlike how many anti fans make the ship look very toxic even tho kataang falls into the toxicness in comics and especially in lok. :ermm:   

I agree, they ruined Kataang in the LoK series.

In the comics it seems like their going for SukixZuko. I never expected to like it, but I do. I just want to know who his daughter's mother is.

ナルサク

#57 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

Bruh I had ZERO idea that there was a shipping war happening in this fandom. The story was wayyy too good for me to care, even the fillers were fantastic lol. How bad was it??? Like NS & NH? 

I was ok with the ending pairings and didn't mind too much, in both A:TLA (and Korra) since it was hinted consistently throughout the show (moreso with Katara an Aang).

#58 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:36 PM

I agree, they ruined Kataang in the LoK series.

In the comics it seems like their going for SukixZuko. I never expected to like it, but I do. I just want to know who his daughter's mother is.

Yeah i read about that there also ruining zuko/mai ship. I prefer zuko with katara suki and zuko feels like weird combination.

Bruh I had ZERO idea that there was a shipping war happening in this fandom. The story was wayyy too good for me to care, even the fillers were fantastic lol. How bad was it??? Like NS & NH? 

I was ok with the ending pairings and didn't mind too much, in both A:TLA (and Korra) since it was hinted consistently throughout the show (moreso with Katara an Aang).

The shipping war was pretty bad back then its pretty similar to the naruto shipping war. the kataang fandom was the minority while zutara was majority part of the fanbase.

#59 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

This is an interesting video regarding zutara. 

Edited by rikakim94, 31 July 2017 - 11:39 PM.

#60 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:54 PM

I saw some zutarains use the disney movie the hunch back of notredame  as a comparison to kataang ship. The zutara fandom likes the movie because it breaks the predictable cliche of hero getting the girl. They saw some similarities between the main hero Quasimodo and Esmeralda the main herione and how esmeralda rejected the heros love for someone else. Kinda like what was going to happen to kataang at the end of season 3 and what could have been season 4   The zutara fandom did not like how aang got katara out of pity instead letting katara go to someone else kinda like what happened in hunchback. They also think hero getting the girl is a toxic trope because it falls into the nice guy trope were a girl has to like a guy back because he is nice to the girl. They wished aang would have matured and realize that katara did not love him back but only loved him as a brother instead of forcing katara to love him. 

Whats you general opinion on this? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users