Close
Photo

If you could rewrite the manga, what would you have changed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 crazyefra

crazyefra

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Living, Having a lot of friends. <br />In terms of music, anything but Bachata (excluding Juan Luis Guerra), Reggaeton and Merengue. <br />In terms of anime and T.V. shows, Naruto, Bleach, Kekkaishi, Psych, Burn Notice, Mythbusters, Family Guy, Attack of the Show, White Collar, Heroes. <br />In terms of movies, anything but Twilight, &quot;girly&quot; movies, high school &quot;dramas&quot;, horror movies (excluding zombie flicks). <br />In terms of fanfics, I only read stories with NS as the pairing or Naruharem fics with Sakura being part of it and nothing where Sakura or Naruto gets bashed constantly and killed like if they were animals.

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:24 PM

Well after seeing this topic on NF, I decided to post it here and see what you guys would have changed. Here's what I'll change:

*Sasuke would die during the wave arc and would ask Naruto to kill Itachi.
*Hinata would have died during her fight with Neji.
*Sakura would start training more in genjutsu while still learning medical jutsu and be more close to Naruto to the point of helping him with Sasuke's wish and would later hook up with him.
*The other jinchuuriki would get development.
*Gaara fights Naruto and Sakura and both manage to break Gaara's psychotic mentality and they become friends and Gaara gets close to his brother and sister.
*Instead of a rescue Sasuke arc, it would be a reunion of Jinchuuriki arc, where Naruto learns a partial control of the kyuubi (4 tails state). During that, Akatsuki attacks and proclaim war against the nations
*Part 1 ends the same way but Akatsuki would have taken control of at least 3 villages, making those still aligned with the Jinchuuriki to seek refuge in the two villages still standing, Konoha and Cloud.
*Part 2 begins with an attack on one Akatsuki base by the new team 8 (Kiba, Shino, Fu and Yamato).
*Naruto's return would stay the same but Sakura hugs him and he compliments her on her looks and nothing else would change until the second arc which would introduce a more sociable Sai.

Tha's all I have for now.

----------------
Now playing: Fort Minor - Where'd You Go (feat. Holly Brook & Jonah Matragna)
via FoxyTunes

Edited by crazyefra, 22 November 2010 - 09:25 PM.

そして、あなたの声は私が聞いたすべてだった
しかし、私に値するものを手に入れる

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSaku, (Fem)NaruSaku, NaruSasu (as brothers, rivals, best friends), ShikaTema, NaruInoSaku, NaruHarem (excluding Hinata), MinaKushi, ChouIno, YahiKona
Fairy Tail: NatsuLucy, NatsuErza :D
Bleach: IchiRukia

Characters:
Naruto: Naruto, Sakura, Shikamaru, Konan, Gaara, Kushina, Kakashi, Ino
Fairy Tail: Erza, Happy, Natsu, Grey, Lucy, Gajeel
Bleach: Ichigo, Nell, Kenpachi, Rukia, Karin, Kon

Misc.: Linkin Park, Green Day

In between Anti and Pro: --Click here to view--

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSakuHina, SakuHina, NaruTayu, KibaHina, SakuKarin
Bleach: IchiHime

Characters:
Naruto: Hinata, Tayuya, Karin, Itachi
Bleach: Orihime, Chad

Misc.: Yuri :D

Pairings:
Naruto: SasuSaku, NaruHina, NaruSasu (as gay lovers), KakaSaku, SasuAnyone, ShikaIno

Characters:
Naruto: Sasuke, Madara, "fanon" Hinata (not to be confused with canon Hinata), Kabuto
Bleach: Aizen, Yamamoto

Misc.:Twilight, Yaoi, Fillers, Sakura bashing

#2 K9ofChaos

K9ofChaos

f**k the establishment! I'm a bunny!

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:58 PM

I would change it so that Sakura didn't have a crush on Sasuke but would still have the tsundere qualities you would see at the beginning of any series with a tsundere character and a main character. I would also change it so that we actually got to see all the Jinchuriki get good long fights and lose to the Akatsuki in numerical order and not get killed off off-screen.

That's basically what I would do. sleep.gif

#3 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (crazyefra @ Nov 22 2010, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well after seeing this topic on NF, I decided to post it here and see what you guys would have changed. Here's what I'll change:

*Sasuke would die during the wave arc and would ask Naruto to kill Itachi.
*Hinata would have died during her fight with Neji.
*Sakura would start training more in genjutsu while still learning medical jutsu and be more close to Naruto to the point of helping him with Sasuke's wish and would later hook up with him.
*The other jinchuuriki would get development.
*Gaara fights Naruto and Sakura and both manage to break Gaara's psychotic mentality and they become friends and Gaara gets close to his brother and sister.
*Instead of a rescue Sasuke arc, it would be a reunion of Jinchuuriki arc, where Naruto learns a partial control of the kyuubi (4 tails state). During that, Akatsuki attacks and proclaim war against the nations
*Part 1 ends the same way but Akatsuki would have taken control of at least 3 villages, making those still aligned with the Jinchuuriki to seek refuge in the two villages still standing, Konoha and Cloud.
*Part 2 begins with an attack on one Akatsuki base by the new team 8 (Kiba, Shino, Fu and Yamato).
*Naruto's return would stay the same but Sakura hugs him and he compliments her on her looks and nothing else would change until the second arc which would introduce a more sociable Sai.

Tha's all I have for now.

----------------
Now playing: Fort Minor - Where'd You Go (feat. Holly Brook & Jonah Matragna)
via FoxyTunes

Efra some of your ideas have given me ideas for a fresh upcoming fan fic just maybe. a_plotting.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#4 crazyefra

crazyefra

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Living, Having a lot of friends. <br />In terms of music, anything but Bachata (excluding Juan Luis Guerra), Reggaeton and Merengue. <br />In terms of anime and T.V. shows, Naruto, Bleach, Kekkaishi, Psych, Burn Notice, Mythbusters, Family Guy, Attack of the Show, White Collar, Heroes. <br />In terms of movies, anything but Twilight, &quot;girly&quot; movies, high school &quot;dramas&quot;, horror movies (excluding zombie flicks). <br />In terms of fanfics, I only read stories with NS as the pairing or Naruharem fics with Sakura being part of it and nothing where Sakura or Naruto gets bashed constantly and killed like if they were animals.

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:30 PM

Maybe we could exchange ideas and do a collaboration fic with some of your ideas and some of mine happy.gif if you really do it.

----------------
Now playing: Alicia Keys - If I Aint Got You
via FoxyTunes

Edited by crazyefra, 22 November 2010 - 10:31 PM.

そして、あなたの声は私が聞いたすべてだった
しかし、私に値するものを手に入れる

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSaku, (Fem)NaruSaku, NaruSasu (as brothers, rivals, best friends), ShikaTema, NaruInoSaku, NaruHarem (excluding Hinata), MinaKushi, ChouIno, YahiKona
Fairy Tail: NatsuLucy, NatsuErza :D
Bleach: IchiRukia

Characters:
Naruto: Naruto, Sakura, Shikamaru, Konan, Gaara, Kushina, Kakashi, Ino
Fairy Tail: Erza, Happy, Natsu, Grey, Lucy, Gajeel
Bleach: Ichigo, Nell, Kenpachi, Rukia, Karin, Kon

Misc.: Linkin Park, Green Day

In between Anti and Pro: --Click here to view--

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSakuHina, SakuHina, NaruTayu, KibaHina, SakuKarin
Bleach: IchiHime

Characters:
Naruto: Hinata, Tayuya, Karin, Itachi
Bleach: Orihime, Chad

Misc.: Yuri :D

Pairings:
Naruto: SasuSaku, NaruHina, NaruSasu (as gay lovers), KakaSaku, SasuAnyone, ShikaIno

Characters:
Naruto: Sasuke, Madara, "fanon" Hinata (not to be confused with canon Hinata), Kabuto
Bleach: Aizen, Yamamoto

Misc.:Twilight, Yaoi, Fillers, Sakura bashing

#5 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 10:39 PM

Have all the Jinchuuriki's still alive and Naruto goes on a mission to the Hidden Waterfall, meets Fuu, has a family, and eventually becomes the village leader there. Yes i like crack pairings more than cannon. Naruto becomes famous and well known by protecting the "grand line" pictureem0.gif between the major countries fighting and holding them off. Eventually Naruto achieves peace with the villages.

Edited by Dreamer, 23 November 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#6 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:30 AM

I could have sworn we've had this topic before, but it's a fun one, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Let's see...

Naruto would have been the Nine-Tails' son, like in the original pilot manga.

The other junchuuriki would instead be the children of bijuu, like Naruto.

Gaara would be crazy because he was only half tailed beast, and the human part of his mind wouldn't be able to take it.

Bloodline limits wouldn't exist, as they make things far too easy for certain characters, and far too hard for others.

The elemental system would follow Grandia's directly, since it already uses it for the most part: The four basic elements would be Earth, Wind, Water, and Fire, and the combination elements would be Ice (Water+Wind), Wood(Water+Earth), Explosion(Earth+Fire), and Lightning(Fire+Wind). Certain people would be better with certain elements, but everyone would be able to use them.

The Academy wouldn't suck so much, and would actually teach the genin the basic of ninjutsu, like tree climbing and water walking. I think the characters would also graduate around eighteen instead of twelve, as I feel twelve is just too young for the stuff that goes on in Naruto.

There'd be a lot more tournament arcs, because I love them more than any other kind of arc. Seriously, put a tournament in something, and I'll probably like it.

Uchiha Madara wouldn't be the Big Bad, nor would he be alive. Damned Uchiha Plot Tumor.

The plan for Akatsuki would be their original, rather sensible idea of simply taking over the world by buying it, not casting an illusion on the moon to turn it into a hypnotic disco ball or collecting the tailed beasts to power their God Cannon.

Jounin would be the elite ninja they're supposed to be, and their fights wouldn't be so horribly disappointing. Same with ANBU.

Fights would involve far more strategy, and less "My jutsu is bigger than your jutsu!" contests.

There'd be far more information given in general, such as the other nations in the Elemental Countries, the history of the world, side characters like Shino and Tenten, and jutsu theory.

The Sound Village wouldn't exist, because it served no purpose at all. Orochimaru would be a part of Akatsuki. Kabuto would still be a part of Orochimaru's contingent and pull off his power plays, though, because I am seriously loving him as a main villain.

More than anything, though, the characters would all have a great deal more common sense, understanding, and empathy.

#7 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,843 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

I'm gonna play around with this:

* The other jinchuuriki (exclude Naruto, Killer Bee and Gaara) have more screentime and development.

* Introduce a better friend/rival for Naruto that is similar to Goku/Krillin's relationship in Dragon Ball (seriously, the Naruto/Sasuke relationship is getting more angst as it is right now) and reintroduce Sasuke as a full time villain.

* Introduce the other countries and its inhabitants/ninjas earlier, as in during the time of the Chuunin Exams. Also add plenty of information to make sense.

* Fixed the elemental charts.

* Characters like Naruto and Sakura have a personalized weapon in the story that was seen in various artwork. (Accordingly, never give every single weapon to Tenten.)

* Fights more strategic (agree with KungFu) and more enjoyable instead of being flashy ala DBZ

* More Taijutsu users with different fighting styles (Kishimoto added wrestling into the story, what about the other fighting styles? There are tons of styles out there.)

* Fire users with variety style (in this entire series, fire is always blown from the mouth, not using it from the hands or entire body)

* Each major character introduce must have development at some point (like Shino, Tenten and Ino).

* Fixed the Ninja Academy, also agree with KungFu with this one because sending kids at the age where they should be in regular school and having an actual childhood to a life where they might get killed or kill someone is very scary and risky.

* Add more Japanese culture (well, Kishimoto had this one in the bag, except that there are other stuff that wasn't mention like the jewel from the Sacred Treasures)

I think that's all I got, for now.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#8 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 01:03 AM

-From point one to point one and a half

I would get rid of Madara and leave Pain as the main antagonist. I would get rid of Sasuke in his fight with Itachi

I don't like Madara as the main villain, Kishi should have left him as Tobi.

Edited by Strangelove, 23 November 2010 - 01:04 AM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#9 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:40 AM

-The manga wouldn't revolve around the Uchiha
-No prophecies

#10 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 02:45 AM

Agree with most everything already said.

But the biggest thing, right out of the gate, would be to add some depth to Sasuke's character. Right now he's just so easy to hate. Pointless, really. We can't even side with Naruto in seeing the good side of him too. The readers hate him. And it makes Naruto look weak for still pursuing him.

Anyway, I would show Sasuke with some heartache over leaving. Not just him being a bonehead for 400-odd chapters and expect us to still care.

#11 pharix

pharix

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE (crazyefra @ Nov 22 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe we could exchange ideas and do a collaboration fic with some of your ideas and some of mine happy.gif if you really do it.

only if you write it because Graven's run-ons hurt my brain argh1.png

#12 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (pharix @ Nov 22 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
only if you write it because Graven's run-ons hurt my brain argh1.png

Well excuse me if you don't like run-ons you have hurt my feelings shamefulcry0js.gif. I will find someone else who will like my run-ons good day to you. emoticon_monocle.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#13 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

I like a lot of your ideas KungFuTruffle

I would like to see more romantic development between .. well anyone, but especially Naruto and Sakura. The angst needs to be more angsty and it feels like right now it's just been set aside for later. It would be nice if people didn't have to write essays in order for some of these scenes to be fully understood (POAL, etc.)

I would have given Naruto a more obvious improvement of skills after 2.5 years of training with Jiraiya. It's lame that he came back to Konoha totally ignorant of elemental jutsu and skills he needs in order to advance to Genin. After learning rasengan in about a month you'd think he could do more than a super perverted henge and a bigger rasengan.

MOAR COMEDY!!

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#14 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:49 PM

Hum, I agree with most everyone opinions.

*Sasuke would have died in his battle with Itachi;

*Itachi would become an unwelcome ally against Pain and Madara

*A little more of development between Naruto and Sakura (needs more Tsundere argh1.png )

*Nagato would be an total badass intead an crybaby on an weelchair

*Naruto would give an answer to Hinata confession (that would tie some loose ends)

*More screen time to the K11 instead to some unknow character that we just met in the story

*Sakura and Naruto would gain their own signature weapons

*Naruto would learn an bigger variety of Jutsus

*Minato would have died in another way, because the reason for him to sacrifice himself was just.... dumb.

I can't think in any other thing right now.

Edited by alexander, 23 November 2010 - 06:54 PM.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#15 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

A lot of points I agree with!

* Make fights more strategic; Naruto and Sasuke's fight against Zabuza to free Kakashi was an excellent one. These days, it just seems to be about who can pull out the bigger jutsu.

* Stop focusing so much on the Uchiha. Give more development to the other characters.

* Naruto learns a wider variety of jutsu.

* Keep the story at a personal angle, and let the plot flow along. Kishimoto just seems to keep sacrificing character development for the bigger plot, and it's getting a lot harder to feel emotionally engaged in the story.

* Refocus the story so it flows along like, say, Fairy Tail. We'd get excellent focus on the group of heroes and their relationships with one another, and their own personal developments.

* Make the story scope a bit smaller? It just feels like Kishimoto is trying to cram so much stuff into his manga that it all feels disjointed.

* For god's sake, stop dropping confessions and developments in character relationships (both platonic and romantic) as if they never happened! This is a major bugbear for me.

#16 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

It seems quite a few suggestions have to do with pairings hmm....................

Anyway, I agree with many suggestions (though not on Sasuke killing Itachi), but I'd add these too:

*Abandon the element charts completely--they haven't mattered much, but when they have it's been in ways that didn't make sense, particulary in the Deidara/Sasuke fight. It made sense in the Danzou/Sasuke fight. He sucked wind Sasuke used fire and it ended in his face. That makes sense regardless of elemental strengths and weaknesses.

*abandon proficies--I agree with Soupy. I hate it, it's totally not necessary and I have no idea why it was introduced. It turns him from the lovable loser who suceeded when he shouldn't to a hidden genuis with a legacy as long as Sasuke's without adding anything signfiicant to his character.

*Story not revolve around Uchiha--Also agree with Soupy. I don't mind his pursuit of Sasuke. I do mind that everything in the universe seems to stem from the Uchiha.

*end the authors man-crush on Shikamaru. I hate Shikamaru alot. I hate that his primarily character flaw has amounted to nothing and the fight with Hidan was awful.

*The Kyuubi revelation: Everyone one of his peers seems to have found out off screen. For something that shaped Naruto as much as it did, it's a travesty that this happened off screen.

*neuter the Sharingan--it was cool when it could predict movements, copy jutsu and had Tsukiyomi/Amaterasu. It's became irrating God-mode hack when EMS, Izanagi, Susano'o, and Kyuubi control became involved. And we still may not be done.

*elimainte Eternal Sharigan--makes no sense how one set of eyes deteriotes in one head and doesn't in another. Even by the universes own rules.

*eliminate the younger generation's apparent immortality--he doesn't have to kill them all, one or two would be enough. Instead of genuine suspense we get loads of cynical, "is he going to do it this time or not?" I don't particularly care who (except possibly Gaara), but enough so people think you have the nuts to do it.

*quit half-assing the moral delimma's: Yeah, the rookies want to kill Sasuke, but if feels more like lip service to a choice that has to come up eventually, rather than Kishi really putting the screws to Naruto over it. And Pein's reviving of the dead. Holy crap. Naruto makes a incredibly difficult choice that is destined to piss the grieving off and Kishimoto bails him out by reviving the dead anyway and helps Naruto avoid having to justify this call to his fellow ninja.

*eliminate Madara--feels way too much like random RPG badass out of nowhere who wants to take over the world, but has so little real development that you can't help not giving a crap about him. Orochimaru and Sasuke (and Kabuto) make better villains by themselves.

*slowdown on the powerups--because with Sasuke and Naruto getting new power-ups after every freaking battle is going to leave them so far ahead of everyone that the rest of the Narutoverse will be the Krillin to their Goku and Vegeta.

*eliminate Kage Bushin training method: makes a certain amount sense, but there is no limitation on how far he can take it and runs the risk of the previous complaint.

#17 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:23 PM

Mudkips, Mudkips Everywhere. All ninjas would have Mudkips. Especially Gaara.

#18 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:02 AM

I can't help but notice that all of the rewrites people are suggesting are contradictory to what Kishimoto has clearly intended in the series, and I feel like I'm the only one who strongly disagrees with most of those listed. Particularly these:

1) More strategic fights
I keep saying this over and over, the fights ARE as strategic as ever; the attacks themselves have become more flashy and destructive, but none of them mean anything if they don't hit, which on their own they often do not, especially the strongest ones. Plus, each jutsu, no matter how deus ex machina they may seem nowadays, has their respective strengths and weaknesses, are appropriate only for specific situations, and often have to be supplemented by average, basic jutsus to work. If anything, it's more the antagonists' abilities that have become more DBZ-like, making the protagonists think up clever ways to defeat them, which is well in tone with Naruto's underdog theme. If the villains were all like Zabuza...skilled, threatening, but clearly not superman...the story would get boring very fast, and the good guys would get so experienced with fighting such people that after a while, there would be no sense of urgency for anyone, and would come more down to luck.

2) Age of the characters in the academy
I will agree that being 12 might be too young, but it still helped bring the shock to the younger characters about the real world as they grew up. If they were 18, however, they would be having a pretty clear idea by then, so all the elements we have in the story wouldn't matter as much, not to mention the characters probably wouldn't be as flawed as they are in canon (which I consider to be a good thing). 15 might be the happy medium, as in many ancient and past civilizations, adolescents were dragged into fighting and war at that age, and many cultures taught their kids how to fight since they were really young, as they needed everyone to fight with them in order to survive. This can be seen in the Spartans, Persians, the Samurai, even the Wild West (with firearms instead of meele weapons obviously). Some do it even today; in Thailand, their kickboxers begin training as young as 8 and by 15 are SEASONED PROS. So, as they started out?...maybe a bit young, but not entirely contradictory to how Japan treated its adolescents back then in regards to war, and the whole 'not until you're 18' thing to my knowledge did not come up until the 20th century

3) Sasuke as the main villain
While I agree Sasuke could use a LITTLE less screen time, the fact his he has been developed as Naruto's greatest rival and friend. The only other alternative I could think of is Sasuke starting out as a bad guy, getting beaten by Naruto, have him vow victory in a rematch but slowly become an ally. That's been done in almost EVERY SHONEN ANIME OUT THERE (Vegeta, Saitou, Kaiba, Hiei, Sesshomaru...). I think it's rather refreshing to see Sasuke become a villain due to personal circumstances he had no control over, and for Naruto, it's more than about simply beating him in a fight. As for how all the uchihas seemed involved in it this plot, well, coming from such a prestigious clan what did you expect? Although the Uchiha could not be as heavily involved in the plot as they are, they would still play an important part no matter what.

Points I will meet you midway on:

1) Giving character X more development
That depends. Do you mean just some random character that is there, or someone who was implied to play an important role but didn't? My prime example would be the jinchurikis. We know that the jinchurikis were at first thought of as monsters, and either became what the villages feared, or something totally different. Garaa was supposed to be a symbol of what Naruto could have become had he given into his hatred. Killer Bee is the example of what Naruto had to do to conquer not only the hatred of the villagers (which by then he kind of did), as well as his own. Do we really need to see any other jinchuriki? I don't think so; they would just be a repeat of either Garaa or KillerBee. We KNOW what challenges jinchuriki have to face to be accepted in society, seeing the other 6 would have only dragged the story, much like showing the entire Gotei 13 fight completely derailed Bleach. I could agree to giving a character more development or screentime, IF it adds to the story. Most of those present in Naruto won't, and focusing on them I feel would be a distraction. Most of the characters who exist in Naruto have fulfilled their purpose; the Rookie 9 plus Team Gai were peers that Team 7 had to compete against and bond with. If you can come up with a good case for one character to be developed, I'm all for it. But I think it's best the story focused on Team 7 (and I'll cover that soon).

2) Naruto learning more jutsu
I'm all for this...the problem I have with people bringing up this point is that most propose Naruto have thousands of jutsus that will help make him into the Super Sayajin they despise. First off, you CANNOT get rid of Kage Bushin or Rasengan. The former helps to make the fights more strategic and interesting on Naruto's part, the later establishes him as an expert in spatial composition, simply using chakra to attack as opposed to Sasuke, who uses elemental composition that drains his chakra if he doesn't use it wisely. It's like asking for Sonic the Hedgehog without speed (which many would argue we have been getting for years now) Superman without speed and flight, Wolverine without claws, Inuyasha without Tetsusaiga...you get the idea. What I particularly want to see is Naruto have more applications for his wind affinity, where each jutsu serves a different purpose and compliments his character. That being said, I don't want him to learn every other jutsu when what he does know has served him well. Many have argued it's necessary for him to learn 1000 techniques to become Hokage, but this is a misunderstanding; Hiruzen and Kakashi are FAMOUS for being able to do a thousand techniques. But it's not a requirement to be Hokage; the First could only do three elements, (Earth, Water and Wood), and I'd imagine many of them looked the same. Nothing was said about the second, Minato was an expert in seals and space-time jutsus, and Tsunade's jutsus are mostly for medical application. Being able to do hundreds of techniques flawlessly would derail everything Naruto as a character has been building himself up as, and would only make him even more overpowered than fans are claiming he is now. I like the fact that Naruto's jutsus are limited; it just means he knows how to use them well. Like Bruce Lee said: "I fear not the master who has practiced 10,000 kicks once; I fear the one who has practiced ONE kick TEN THOUSAND TIMES."

I know what I've written so far is contradictory to the topic to a degree, but it brings about a pet peeve of mine about "How would you make this series better?": Most take what happens in the series at face value, get frustrated that their own vision or bias is not realized without thinking about what the series creator intended. The execution may be flawed on that last point, but it's not the same as ruining the series if there was no incentive to go the direction you wanted. If you want a series that completely destroyed what it was supposed to be, watch Gundam Seed Destiny

Now that that's off my shoulder, here are the changes I would make:
1) Reduce red herrings
I think in moderation they're great, but in Part 2 they have been a bit excessive. While I've accepted most of them for what they were, I can understand why many people get frustrated with them. So, I would just try to make some plot elements more direct.

2) Balance Team 7 a bit more
The one major problem I have with Naruto as a whole is that even with ignoring the Rookie 9 for the most part (something I approve of), it still has trouble balancing its main characters. Almost all of the arcs have to be focused around either Naruto or Sasuke without finding a happy medium, plus Kakashi and Sakura have been getting the short end of the stick lately (although this will supposedly be addressed in upcoming chapters). If I were writing the manga, I would personally make the plot elements involve all of them so that they all have to be in the story to some degree. Even if one character isn't the focus of the particular arc, I would make it necessary for him/her to be there.

3) Give Sai and Yamato more to do
Need I say more? They're supposed to be substitutes/extensions for some members of Team 7, but they haven't done much.

4) Get rid of Team Snake/Hawk
They didn't amount to much, and I feel that for every story where Sasuke was involved, he clearly could have accomplished what he did without their help.

5) Make at least one major arc with Naruto and the other members as young adults
This might still happen, but I'm doubting it. I just figure that it would make the series more complete than a mere epilogue if we see the main characters grow up in body and mind, facing off against the ultimate evil.

6) Balance vs battles and TeamWork
This made a comeback during the Rescue Garaa arc, and was shown in the Immortals arc. After that, the theme of teamwork seemed to disappear. It looks like it's coming back, but to what degree and if it's the way I want I've yet to see.

7) If someone gets stabbed in the heart, just die
I know it's not supposed to have a sense of realism, but it's quite stupid to completely contradict human biology. On top of that, ease up on the revivals. Almost all shonen does it to some degree, so I'm used to it and don't mind it too much. I just don't want those occasions to be unusually convenient.

Those are my thoughts.

#19 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 24 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

What I gonna change about the manga? too many things to count...

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#20 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 01:54 AM

2) Naruto learning more jutsu
I'm all for this...the problem I have with people bringing up this point is that most propose Naruto have thousands of jutsus that will help make him into the Super Sayajin they despise. First off, you CANNOT get rid of Kage Bushin or Rasengan. The former helps to make the fights more strategic and interesting on Naruto's part, the later establishes him as an expert in spatial composition, simply using chakra to attack as opposed to Sasuke, who uses elemental composition that drains his chakra if he doesn't use it wisely. It's like asking for Sonic the Hedgehog without speed (which many would argue we have been getting for years now) Superman without speed and flight, Wolverine without claws, Inuyasha without Tetsusaiga...you get the idea. What I particularly want to see is Naruto have more applications for his wind affinity, where each jutsu serves a different purpose and compliments his character. That being said, I don't want him to learn every other jutsu when what he does know has served him well. Many have argued it's necessary for him to learn 1000 techniques to become Hokage, but this is a misunderstanding; Hiruzen and Kakashi are FAMOUS for being able to do a thousand techniques. But it's not a requirement to be Hokage; the First could only do three elements, (Earth, Water and Wood), and I'd imagine many of them looked the same. Nothing was said about the second, Minato was an expert in seals and space-time jutsus, and Tsunade's jutsus are mostly for medical application. Being able to do hundreds of techniques flawlessly would derail everything Naruto as a character has been building himself up as, and would only make him even more overpowered than fans are claiming he is now. I like the fact that Naruto's jutsus are limited; it just means he knows how to use them well. Like Bruce Lee said: "I fear not the master who has practiced 10,000 kicks once; I fear the one who has practiced ONE kick TEN THOUSAND TIMES."

But I think Naruto should use his kage bunshin more effectively. I have yet to see him use it to spy on anyone even though it seems to me that would be it's most useful purpose. He's never tried to test out his limits with it, or how far away he could send one. Kakashi had to come up with the training idea. He's good at using it as a diversion while the real body does something clever (like sneaking away from Yamato and digging underground to attack Neji) but I would like to see more from the kage bunshin than diversions and punch combos.

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users