• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#41 TheFirstEvil100

TheFirstEvil100

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Reading and watching Naruto, play on my PS3 playing on my Pokemon games mainly Pokemon X right now I also like watching good Horror films.

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:50 PM

Who cares what Kishi will do, as we all know that we are going to have a Sasuke like character who Kishi will favour over the other characters make his family some evil tyrants. However, close to the end were going to find out why they are misunderstood in someway that we need to feel sorry for them.

So yeah, not reading more of Kishis kitten, not worth wasting our time over a kitten writer.

#42 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 05:55 AM

Our time OR money. :yes:

BTW since this is called Samurai 8, Can I call it a ripoff of Samurai 7? I know the joke has already been made,I'm just reiterating HOW ORIGINAL it sounds............ :zaru:

Edited by Phantom_999, 30 December 2018 - 05:59 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#43 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 06:26 AM

Our time OR money. :yes:

BTW since this is called Samurai 8, Can I call it a ripoff of Samurai 7? I know the joke has already been made,I'm just reiterating HOW ORIGINAL it sounds............ :zaru:

It be shocking if anyone didn't at least question if its based off that movie. The land of Iron Samurai leader is named after one of the actors that played one of the samurai. Also like I said it Seven Samurai plus one apprentice is likely what its going to be.

#44 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

first of all it is good to be back from a nice family cruise trip, and I decided to do a little digging into Akira Okubo's artwork when it came to Naruto,  and here are a few: 

VUZfq79.jpg

OiBcpNj.jpg

JcuPtjV.jpg

YJVtpld.jpg

I think it's really fascinating how most of his artwork for Naruto mainly stemmed from Part 1. The only Part 2 artwork I was able to find was with Konan and Nagato with the Rinnegan, not even the sharingan lol 

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#45 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:34 PM

I like to observe and experience with people's learning and perspectives, so :

I'm interested to see how much he changed in writing a story and how much he learned from his mistakes in Naruto. I'm going to read the early part of the manga. If he learned from the past, it will be reflected from early on in the story ( Hopefully, it doesn't get irrational and into facepalm fest later on ).

Also, I hope he will include a heroine. I want him to see what he learned in this department. Hoping she is a tsundere, but it's fine if she's not. Yes, I want her to be as close in character as Sakura.

I f I see few main mistakes similar to the ones in Naruto, it's a drop. So, let's see how much change has happened after his 4 years of absence.

Fine by me.

I can definetly agree on that 100%  that's my whole reason for delving into this new series of his to see what's happened since his previous work. Not that I've got a lot of hope after Naruto, but my curiosity is ultimately it stands with this. 

as for a potential female lead let alone it being a Tsundere I think it's definitely there and more than likely we are gonna get atleast a few characters that are female that's just my prediction.  

Not that it's gonna happen, but if Kishi has learned from his mistakes when it came to Naruto with Samurai 8   beginning to end does that mean let bygones be bygones? No ofcourse not, but I could commend him for putting in  effort. Alas we must wait and see for the time comes. 

Considering that it's a Spring release I'm gonna bet and say mid-March  early-April is when we'll see this series debut it's first chapter which in hindsight is not that far away. 

#46 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:36 PM

At lot of his stuff seems to be based on Naruto with Akira like style which Kishimoto said he took inspiration from with his designs. The tenth anniversary on focus's on Konan and looks somewhat like some shounen manga art style...none of which I can remember off the top of my head. This seemed to have helped him more then that pedophile since at least the bits from the trailer he was able sometimes to make him characters look Naruto-ish

Question; Lucky can you do the same with Ikemoto so we can compare and contrast?

Edit: Their bound to be a few females since kishimoto doesn't want to be considered sexist. The thing is kishimoto tend to have two type of females writes; bland caring Housewives with some variation of personality Kurenia or Sasuke's/Shikamaru's/Inari's mother, or women more like Sakura Tsunade, or Salad; brash women. Hinata-like women are actually quite rare for him

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 05 April 2019 - 02:04 AM.

#47 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

At lost of his stuff seems to be based on Naruto with Akira which Kishimoto said he took inspiration from with his designs. The tenth anniversary on focus's on Konan and looks somewhat like some shounen manga art style...none of which I can remember off the top of my head. This seemed to have helped him more then that pedophile since at least the bits from the trailer he was able sometimes to make him characters look Naruto-ish

Question; Lucky can you do the same with Ikemoto so we can compare and contrast?

I was thinking the same thing when it comes to Akira's artwork in Naruto even with the 10th anniversary artwork with Konan and Nagato. 

sure, I can definetly do that: 

This is from the 5 Year anniversary of Naruto  from Ikemoto: 

naruto-vol26-ch230-086.png

Here is the latest one I found when from the final volume of Naruto from Akira Okubo: 

BXwnZT5.jpg

Which interestingly again  Naruto is in his Part 1 days, and not in his Part 2 appearance for Akira's artwork. 

Edited by LuckyChi7, 14 January 2019 - 02:57 PM.

#48 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

In terms of Naruto's Part 2 design the only one from Akira Okubo was the six year anniversary run for Naruto: 

0FFI3zV.jpg

Even then it really resembles the artwork from Part 1 ,and it's kinda neat to see Naruto rocking the chunin vest. 

Edited by LuckyChi7, 14 January 2019 - 02:59 PM.

#49 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

Thank you...Yep that's Ikemoto. Which is a problem because the is art style works more for Seinen. It is overly-designed in an attempt to look more realistic. Also he deviates too much from Kishimoto for him to work. You can see some similarities if you look, but more being based off one of Kishi characters more then anything...is that Jiraiya?

Akira's (I was talking about the movie before now I'm talking about the mangaka) designs are much simpler but he is able to match/replicate Kishimoto's art style much better. Even when he not copying you can still see the inspiration more easily then Ikemoto. 

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 14 January 2019 - 03:47 PM.

#50 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, you're thinking of Samurai 7. It's true, no one can give Kishi points for originality on this one. I cut him a little slack, though, because he's hardly alone. There's a lot of fascination with Akira Kurosawas Seven Samurai - for good reason - and it's an important milestone in Japanese cinema. There are a ton of reworkings and even flat out remakes out there. I think it's even the most pulled from piece of Japanese media in their history, even. Or at least in film.

Same. I still roll my eyes about it and talk s***, but I haven't seen the point in hanging on to any real irritation over it. I made my peace with where it was going long before it ended. The ending was just one last bitter pill to swallow. So I might glance at it. I expect nothing from it, though. I'm not interested in learning the same lesson twice and all.

That makes sense. There’s certainly nothing wrong with wanting to pay homage to other iconic works or taking inspiration from them. A lot of writers do it, and I’m not going to throw Kishimoto specifically under the bus for it. Originality is dead, everything has been done in one way or another, imo, it’s the execution of ideas that matters.

I won’t say I’m necessarily going to give it a chance; unless I hear anything really good about it’s reception I probably won’t go out of my way to read it, I’m just really picky about shounen jump manga in particular, most of them don’t have anything that appeals to me. And Kishimoto’s manner of storytelling includes a lot of things I’m not very fond of. I don’t expect those things to not be present in his future works because it’s just kind of his style and personal ideals. If nothing else, I feel that the experience with Naruto helped me learn to discern my own tastes a little better.

#51 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

Really beautiful art. Makes me remember how cool Naruto was back in the first half of the series. Totally forgot about Tsunade's pig too!

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with for a new series. Kishi was always good at action scenes and cool little details. But now, looking back, I don't know how much of the great characters and storylines from Part 1-Pain arc were his own idea? Or partially his own? So it's hard to get excited. It might be good, or it might be more of the end of Naruto: cool stuff with lots of potential, but in the end it doesn't really hit the mark.

#52 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:42 PM

Really beautiful art. Makes me remember how cool Naruto was back in the first half of the series. Totally forgot about Tsunade's pig too!

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with for a new series. Kishi was always good at action scenes and cool little details. But now, looking back, I don't know how much of the great characters and storylines from Part 1-Pain arc were his own idea? Or partially his own? So it's hard to get excited. It might be good, or it might be more of the end of Naruto: cool stuff with lots of potential, but in the end it doesn't really hit the mark.

Depends. How much do you think of that was Kishimoto, and how much you think that was Yahagi? I think we all can agree that he relies heavily on his editors for advice, and easily gives into pressure. However, going off the gaiden and the Boruto movie compared to the Boruto manga; he is at least a better writer then Kodachi. Though, coming from me, that not much of a compliment.

#53 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

I can definetly agree on that 100%  that's my whole reason for delving into this new series of his to see what's happened since his previous work. Not that I've got a lot of hope after Naruto, but my curiosity is ultimately it stands with this. 

as for a potential female lead let alone it being a Tsundere I think it's definitely there and more than likely we are gonna get atleast a few characters that are female that's just my prediction.  

Not that it's gonna happen, but if Kishi has learned from his mistakes when it came to Naruto with Samurai 8   beginning to end does that mean let bygones be bygones? No ofcourse not, but I could commend him for putting in  effort. Alas we must wait and see for the time comes. 

Considering that it's a Spring release I'm gonna bet and say mid-March  early-April is when we'll see this series debut it's first chapter which in hindsight is not that far away. 

Going with the trailer posted at the beginning of the thread, there's no single female character that has appeared in it. Only maybe three characters as afar as I remember. Still, the trailer could mean as a view of the general plot of the upcoming manga. I hope there will be a second official trailer. Maybe we get to see more characters.

If Kishi learned from his mistakes, I don't care if bygones be bygones. What he did to the Naruto series concerning Naruto and Sakura, I can say ( Because his work was in front of him for years ) it was very clear and obvious to him that he shouldn't have agreed to NH. It's switching to another couple at the end of the series all of a sudden. It's simply bad writing. His editors take a share of the blame surely.

I hope to see something like a scene(s) from Naruto manga or main characters very similar to Naruto and Sakura, depicting them the way he wants to, and we get the idea that he's trying to make the readers see that what he likes to do and that's how he wanted things to go in Naruto manga. That's says something coming from a writer.

If it's a Spring release, I think it will be released either in April or early May. I think March is considered Winter season.

#54 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 10:15 PM

Yeah any one is welcome to give it a chance, no one is being judged.

#55 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 11:56 PM

The main kid, his mentor, and their doctor mechanic. Even if they are all samurai that still 5 more characters.

#56 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

In terms of Naruto's Part 2 design the only one from Akira Okubo was the six year anniversary run for Naruto: 

0FFI3zV.jpg

Even then it really resembles the artwork from Part 1 ,and it's kinda neat to see Naruto rocking the chunin vest. 

I always wanted Naruto to wear a shinobi vest but sadly it never happened

#57 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:20 PM

So I found out a couple things about Samurai 8 from someone on twitter that's got some insight on like shounen jump info, and here they are: 

The main character's name in Samurai 8 is Hachimaru    

49907466_543302052816983_419140080682688

-  The series has a sub title to it   Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru 

The most important info I'm sure everyone's been wanting to know is the debut of this manga's release:  The end of April and the beginning of May. so we're not that far off for Kishi's return...

Judgement day will be soon upon us.  

Edited by LuckyChi7, 20 March 2019 - 06:28 PM.

#58 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:53 PM

Well I hope everyone that everyone that is actually giving it a shot won't be disappointed by the quality, because I'm not going to give this a chance.  If there is anything I could say to Kishi at this point, it is " I hope you learned your lesson from last time." NEVER try to please fans if it means compromising what you want to write. If there is a love interest that you PUT TIME AND EFFORT to develop and mean to make a couple with the MC either complete that development or don't, and DO NOT use fans' excuses and reasoning as to why you make that decision. Take your editor's advice in stride and only heed them when it HELPS what you want to write. Using your native culture for inspiration is fine but you don't need to limit yourself to just that for influence because some the success of other series is because they look for other cultural and national influences to inspire their series. And Ultimately, DO NOT PLAY YES  MAN to everyone. It is your story, you should write it the way you want to write it.     

Edited by Phantom_999, 22 March 2019 - 06:22 PM.

#59 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 07:48 AM

Samurai 8: Tale of Eight-Circle/Complete/Whole, not the most creative of names.

#60 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 06:21 PM

Yeah, although to be fair a lot of manga series titles are not extravagant or exotic by any means but to get the point of their story across

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users