Close
Photo

Kara no Kyōkai / The Garden of Sinners

anime film series light novel Ufotable thriller supernatural mystery action drama romance

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:48 AM

Kara no Kyōkai also known as The Garden of Sinners

600full-kara-no-kyoukai-1%3A-fukan-fuuke

*Anyone who has watched all the movies already can skip this long-ass description b/c all of this info will seem superfluous to you :D*
Kara no Kyoukai is a light novel series that was adapted into a series of mostly non-chronological anime movies. I'm picking up this acclaimed anime film series again after I kind of forgot about it last year when the summer ended. I literally stopped in the middle of one of the movies back then, so now I'm starting all over again :sweat: So yeah, so far I've only seen the movie Overlooking View. Summary of the series is as followed:

Mikiya Kokuto finds himself intrigued by two things. The first is by Shiki Ryougi a beautiful, yet rather unsociable, girl and the other is the strange series of violent deaths that start occuring in his town. As he attempts to get closer to Shiki, he soon learns that the two are connected and that there are many supernatural forces at work which could very likely get him killed as well.

Source: animenewsnetwork
Note, that Kara no Kyoukai is one of Type-Moon's works and shares the same setting as the Fate/Stay Night series as far as I know of.

The series consists of seven movies, all produced by the highly regarded animation studio Ufotable, so expect the animation quality to blow off your mind  :argh: .  It beats the kitten out of the animes during the time the movies were released in and still holds up today majestically.The list of the movies is as followed (by release date):
1. Fukan Fūkei (eng. Overlooking View)- (2007)
2. Satsujin Kōsatsu (Zen) (eng. A Study in Murder- Part 1)- (2007)
3. Tsūkaku Zanryū (eng. Remaining Sense of Pain)- (2008)
4. Garan no Dō (eng. The Hollow Shrine)- (2008)
5. Mujun Rasen (eng. Paradox Spiral)-  (2008)
6. Bōkyaku Rokuon (eng. Oblivion Recording)-  (2008)
7. Satsujin Kōsatsu (Go) (eng. A Study in Murder- Part 2)- (2009)
Movies 1-4 are story-wise not chronologically, but pretty much every fan of this series recommends experiencing the series in the intended release order on your first watch. Trust me, last year, I stupidly decided to follow the chronological order... I didn't get as hook as I did today after starting over, this time following the order of the release dates. Most likely, I'll pick up the chronological order when I rewatch the series. Anyways, after watching all seven movies, proceed to the Epilogue OVA (2011), then Mirai Fukuin (eng. Future Gospel) (2013), and finally Mirai Fukuin: Extra Chorus (2013). Mirai Fukuin is a two-hour movie that focuses on a side story in the light novel series and is divided into two parts. Mirai Fukuin: Extra Chorus is simply a bonus episode that was released alongside the DVD/Blu-Ray relase of Mirai Fukuin.
Interestingly, each of the movies had a different director as far as I know of.
*EDIT: Chronological order of movies is 2, 4, 3, 1, 5-7*

Will be posting my thoughts after each movie b/c it can get confusing...  And oh, one last thing: The OST is simply beautiful.

Edited by trang95, 17 June 2015 - 05:18 AM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#2 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts
  • Interests:Guilty Gear, Basketball, Futbol, and writing.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:50 AM

OMG, I have to finish the series :argh:

#3 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:51 AM

OMG, I have to finish the series :argh:

I've just finished the first movie... SO FREAKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yeah, chronological order was dump b/c I didn't get as hype XD)

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."

#4 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:53 AM

I've just finished the first movie... SO FREAKING AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (yeah, chronological order was dump b/c I didn't get as hype XD)

Love it in chronological order :argh: You must need a lot to hype you :fu: The beginning was awesome :3

#5 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:57 AM

Love it in chronological order :argh: You must need a lot to hype you :fu: The beginning was awesome :3

I don't know. I feel it works better when it's a bit mysterious to me. I like starting in media res :hehehe: And seeing Shiki already being closed to Mikiya was cute to watch :3

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#6 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:00 AM

I don't know. I feel it works better when it's a bit mysterious to me. I like starting in media res :hehehe: And seeing Shiki already being closed to Mikiya was cute to watch :3

But I liked the slow mysterious build up <l:^D

You just can't wait for the closeness :argh:

#7 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:42 AM

I think we should make a type moon thread that will encompass all their creation.
So we could talk knk, tsukihime, and fate series.

#8 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:47 AM

I think we should make a type moon thread that will encompass all their creation.
So we could talk knk, tsukihime, and fate series.

I can do that, too. But I think we should also keep separate threads for the individual series just to keep it spoiler free for those who haven't watched the ones yet.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#9 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:02 AM

I'm anxious to see how you'll guys react to 5 and 7
I won't spoil anything but be sure to post your reaction to them here :D

Also Trang , I hope you don't spoil yourself regarding this series :hm:

Edited by Nar123, 17 June 2015 - 05:04 AM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#10 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:13 AM

I sure will! I have tons of questions already... Well, to be fair, kind of spoilered myself already last year when I went for the chronological route :sweat: But I forgot most of the details.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#11 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:15 AM

I sure will! I have tons of questions already... Well, to be fair, kind of spoilered myself already last year when I went for the chronological route :sweat: But I forgot most of the details.

Spoiler girl, spoiler girl! You're a spoiler girl :argh:

Back to the old elementary school days :wow: 

#12 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

Typical :sweat:

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#13 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts
  • Interests:Games, Anime, OUAT....stuff I can't remember...and music!

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

Ohhh what's this?! :3

5 is my favorite along with 2 and 7! 6 was ok but not as good as the rest

tumblr_m8a1skcZ6M1rx8yloo1_500.jpg

Joui Four

#14 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:43 PM

Ohhh what's this?! :3

5 is my favorite along with 2 and 7! 6 was ok but not as good as the rest

A safe haven for Kara no Kyoukai fans :hehehe:

Anyways, quick thoughts about Kara no Kyoukai: Great movie. Found myself way too immersed with the animation to even be bothered by the confusing plot (well, I kind of spoilered myself already from last year a bit :sweat: ) The fighting scene b/w Shiki and that spirit Fujou was amazing to watch. Almost had a grace-like feel to it. Don't really know what to feel though towards Fujou's decision to commit suicide towards the end b/c she wanted to relieve that feeling that she had when Shiki destroyed her spirit (How da fuq did she get to that building there anyways if she was supposed to be blind?!)  Lol, at that pervert joke from Mikiya towards the end :chuckle: The voice acting is great; especially Maaya Sakamoto is doing a superb job with speaking Shiki. Love how she has this tomboyish tone to her. I also find it funny that Mikiya has the same voice actor as the one for Okita Sougo from Gintama :lmao: Oh, and love, love the OST. It might become one of my favorites next to Clannad and Code Geass.

Few questions: What happened to Mikiya exactly? And I was a bit confused about Shiki's arm. She's already lost it beforehand?

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#15 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:45 PM

Anyways, quick thoughts about Kara no Kyoukai: Great movie. Found myself way too immersed with the animation to even be bothered by the confusing plot (well, I kind of spoilered myself already from last year a bit :sweat: ) The fighting scene b/w Shiki and that spirit Fujou was amazing to watch. Almost had a grace-like feel to it. Don't really know what to feel though towards Fujou's decision to commit suicide towards the end b/c she wanted to relieve that feeling that she had when Shiki destroyed her spirit (How da fuq did she get to that building there anyways if she was supposed to be blind?!)  Lol, at that pervert joke from Mikiya towards the end :chuckle: The voice acting is great; especially Maaya Sakamoto is doing a superb job with speaking Shiki. Love how she has this tomboyish tone to her. I also find it funny that Mikiya has the same voice actor as the one for Okita Sougo from Gintama :lmao: Oh, and love, love the OST. It might become one of my favorites next to Clannad and Code Geass.
Few questions: What happened to Mikiya exactly? And I was a bit confused about Shiki's arm. She's already lost it beforehand?

For her arm, you'll see in the third movie and Mikiya was put in trance you could say and some stuff you question will be answered later so better watch the after credits because the cutscenes are important! Also did you know that the VA for Mikiya and Shiki are married? XD

Joui Four

#16 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Can't wait and see can you? :hm: 

#17 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:53 PM

For her arm, you'll see in the third movie and Mikiya was put in trance you could say and some stuff you question will be answered later so better watch the after credits because the cutscenes are important! Also did you know that the VA for Mikiya and Shiki are married? XD

Oh, ok. That girl after the credits. I remember having read somewhere a while ago that she was Mikiya's little sister...

And yes, I did! Nice to see how Kara no Kyoukai brought two voice actors together, and two gifted ones, too :D

Edited by trang95, 17 June 2015 - 04:55 PM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#18 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:03 PM

This is kind of a stupid comment, but I'm watching the second movie right now, and couldn't help but notice that this is so far the only anime I've seen in which the high school students are not wearing a school uniform... Otherwise, it'd be "byebye Kimono" for Shiki XD

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

#19 RyohkiFan

RyohkiFan

Ryo The Hero!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

This is kind of a stupid comment, but I'm watching the second movie right now, and couldn't help but notice that this is so far the only anime I've seen in which the high school students are not wearing a school uniform... Otherwise, it'd be "byebye Kimono" for Shiki XD

I guess it's rare, I love the second movie! Btw pay attention to the guy that talks to Shiki in the school when it's a rainy day, pay close attention xD

Joui Four

#20 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:49 PM

I guess it's rare, I love the second movie! Btw pay attention to the guy that talks to Shiki in the school when it's a rainy day, pay close attention xD

*scratches head* You mean the one with the brown hair? I was wondering if Mikiya is close to that guy b/c it looked like Mikiya went to a cafe with him later.

Last year, when I first watched the movie, I was just like wtf is wrong with Mikiya?! Rewatching the movie now, I understand his actions better. But is he in denial about Shiki being the mass murderer, or is he aware of the fact that SHIKI is the one committing the murders?

Edited by trang95, 17 June 2015 - 07:53 PM.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anime, film series, light novel, Ufotable, thriller, supernatural, mystery, action, drama, romance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users