IMPORTANT: Signatures

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

UPDATE: We are giving everyone until Sunday 17th August to adjust their signatures. happy.gif On that day, moderators will begin putting the rules in action.

It has become obvious that some members have been breaking the signature rules in this topic.

So, I have decided to bring them back under control:

Signature Limit CSS has been reinstalled:

The signature box now has a maximum limit of 550px by 550px - exactly the same as the rules. If you have scrollbars on your signature, it is too big! Please reduce the size or moderators will be forced to edit/disable your sigs.

So, please remember - the scrollbars are not there to let you fit even more of your signature in! There are there to make it easy for everyone to see if a signature is breaking the rules. happy.gif

This rule includes spoiler tags. If you get scrollbars when all spoilers are open in your signature, then it's too big. Instead of simply trying to hide large images or walls of text with spoilers, try to think if they're important. If so, try to think of ways to reduce them. For example, instead of listing all the chapters to your fanfic, simply link to the first chapter and say (Chapter XX now up!). Got a lot of fanfics to link? You should be able to just use a link to your author profile(s) - most fanfic websites will list all your stories on your profile. Got a huge image you WANT to use? Then shrink it down smaller using an image program.

I am currently working to find ways to control the file size of images in signatures. For now, please remember the limit is 250KB (that's ALL images added up). If you have an animated GIF in your signature, please make sure it is no bigger than 250KB! You can easily check by right-clicking on it and selecting "Properties".

Thank you. smile.gif

#2 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

I'm glad my sig is small. XD

#3 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

So far my sig is only words, but it's nice to have a heads up about the sig size for when I decide to use a picture again. happy.gif

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#4 Chidori Mistress

Chidori Mistress

Lolita of Squack <3

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:51 PM

lol some people's sigs just look hilarious.
wtf scrollbars!

#5 Juujuu

Juujuu

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:God, art, literature, music, anime, romance, internet, friends

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:35 PM

I think mines ok o.0

the scrollbars are interesting. I saw it on someones' siggy and was like "O___o"
"Balthier is Sexy" Fangirl Army - SECOND IN COMMAND JUUJUU!

#6 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:44 PM

Question for all! Do you like the way signatures are now centered, or would you prefer that they go back to the left edge?

I also have a note to add to the announcement. happy.gif

The rules INCLUDE spoiler tags. If your sig ends up with scrollbars when all spoilers are open, then it's too big. I've noticed some people use spoilers to hide big images or large amounts of text. Even if you hide the images with spoilers, they will still load in the browser.

One thing I've seen is long lists hidden by spoilers. For example, say, a list of fanfiction stories/chapters. Instead of going:

Generic Romance Fanfic 978697 - Chapter 1
Generic Romance Fanfic 978697 - Chapter 2
Generic Romance Fanfic 978697 - Chapter 3

(and so on)

You could just go:

Generic Romance Fanfic 978697 (Chapter 20 now up!): Please read and review~!

Or even just a single link to your author profile page. Most fanfiction archives will list all your fanfics on that page.

The above is just an example. smile.gif Remember, 550px x 550px is PLENTY of room to fit the important things into your signature! Instead of trying to add everything into your signature, think about what's really important. If you have a large amount of text or image you want to use, try to think "Can this be smaller?"

#7 Juujuu

Juujuu

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:God, art, literature, music, anime, romance, internet, friends

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Aug 12 2008, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question for all! Do you like the way signatures are now centered, or would you prefer that they go back to the left edge?

I actually kinda like it centered. Makes it seem more organized for some reason. o.o
"Balthier is Sexy" Fangirl Army - SECOND IN COMMAND JUUJUU!

#8 Tsunade

Tsunade

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:People.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:55 PM

No spoilers?

;_;

Team B.B.B. has to go into the profile then~
Tsu.gif

#9 Nikko

Nikko

Lady Perv <3

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:sewing, sleeping, drawing, tasty food, video games, manga/comic booking, anime, and music

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

If your sig can still fit with out a scroll bar can we keep it in a spoiler tag none the less? I love it but get easily distracted so I keep it closed.

In the forums, ad blocking your signature.

#10 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:08 PM

As far as centering goes, I typically center my sigs anyway, so it doesn't matter to me if that's the default outside of the fact that it's a tiny bit less work on my end.

Of course, I've never really had a sig on this particular forum, so I don't suppose any of this matters to me at all. wow.png

#11 SakuDotz

SakuDotz

Fly away to Dotzland! :D

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interest would probably be in potatoes and lot's of funtastic things....

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:39 PM

My question is the same area as Nikko's. Do we have to remove spoiler tags no matter what and just shrink whatever was in them if it went past the limited space?

Edited by SakuDotz, 13 August 2008 - 09:39 PM.

#12 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:45 AM

I likes the way our sigs are now.

#13 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:42 AM

I'd rather have a choice on what side to put your sig in, but that's my opinion.

#14 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Sorry, I've been away!

You CAN keep spoilers, as long as the contents will still fit when they're open. smile.gif That's what I meant in my announcement. If you get scrollbars when the spoilers are open, you must cut/shrink the contents.

#15 light.keyblade.master

light.keyblade.master

Jimi Hendrix Wannabe

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Guitar, NARUTO, Video Games, Basketball, running, biking, writing, swimming, hangin with friends etc. Like to listen to my birds make music. Also PJ's.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Aug 11 2008, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
UPDATE: We are giving everyone until Sunday 17th August to adjust their signatures. happy.gif On that day, moderators will begin putting the rules in action.

It has become obvious that some members have been breaking the signature rules in this topic.

So, I have decided to bring them back under control:

Signature Limit CSS has been reinstalled:

The signature box now has a maximum limit of 550px by 550px - exactly the same as the rules. If you have scrollbars on your signature, it is too big! Please reduce the size or moderators will be forced to edit/disable your sigs.

So, please remember - the scrollbars are not there to let you fit even more of your signature in! There are there to make it easy for everyone to see if a signature is breaking the rules. happy.gif

This rule includes spoiler tags. If you get scrollbars when all spoilers are open in your signature, then it's too big. Instead of simply trying to hide large images or walls of text with spoilers, try to think if they're important. If so, try to think of ways to reduce them. For example, instead of listing all the chapters to your fanfic, simply link to the first chapter and say (Chapter XX now up!). Got a lot of fanfics to link? You should be able to just use a link to your author profile(s) - most fanfic websites will list all your stories on your profile. Got a huge image you WANT to use? Then shrink it down smaller using an image program.

I am currently working to find ways to control the file size of images in signatures. For now, please remember the limit is 250KB (that's ALL images added up). If you have an animated GIF in your signature, please make sure it is no bigger than 250KB! You can easily check by right-clicking on it and selecting "Properties".

Thank you. smile.gif

is mine okay?
Ah Daniel. #7. He always was my favorite.

#16 SakuNaruLover

SakuNaruLover

Don't fear the darkness

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Gaming, reading manga, watching anime, playing games, reading fanfics, writing fanfics and my own stories, talking with my friends.<br /><br />Manga: <br />-naruto <br />-bleach<br />-clannad<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br /><br />Anime: <br />-naruto<br />-naruto shippuden<br />-bleach <br />-shakugan no shana<br />-shakugan no shana second<br />-clannad<br />-kanon<br />-air<br />-zero no tsukaima<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br />-code geass<br />-code geass r2<br />-gundam wing<br />-gundam 00<br />-melancholy of suzumiya haruhi<br />-hayate no gotoku

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (light.keyblade.master @ Aug 20 2008, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is mine okay?

Uhm, I don't see a signature at all :/
I am neither good nor evil, I am awake yet I dream

#17 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (uzumakinaruko @ Aug 22 2008, 07:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a scrollbar, but it barely moves at all. Is it within specs?

It's very strange, but your signature still has a scrollbar on it despite being well within limits! However, there is no scrollbar in Internet Explorer. It must be something strange with my Firefox. Does anyone else see it on Firefox?

Your sig is just fine now, no problems there. smile.gif

#18 uzumakinaruko

uzumakinaruko

Shinigami Teichou

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Aug 22 2008, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's very strange, but your signature still has a scrollbar on it despite being well within limits! However, there is no scrollbar in Internet Explorer. It must be something strange with my Firefox. Does anyone else see it on Firefox?

Your sig is just fine now, no problems there. smile.gif

Thanks!
Boy, I got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals.

- Butch Cassidy

#19 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

I think I've taken out the bug. smile.gif Adding a slight padding of 1px to the signature div eliminates the unnecessary scrollbar and doesn't break sigs that are right on the limit. It still looks perfectly fine in IE!

That took a lot of fiddling about with code. XD

EDIT: It got yours, but it didn't get others. Nggh. Back to the drawing board.

#20 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

I see it too, Smiter-san.

Must be Firefox. wow.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users