#41 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:39 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Aug 13 2012, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually this thread is the perfect place to hash this all out. We're not trying to hide anything or 'force' our new policy down anyone's throat. If zack and others have a problem with us and how we run the site, they have a right to express their displeasure in a public forum. They should just expect that any comments/statements that are made will be responded to.

So, just to get this straight, there's no need to move this discussion?

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Aug 13 2012, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Krazy responded in the heat of the moment. We don't consider you asking questions antagonizing. No one on the Mod Team is expecting you guys to not have an opinion and post about it. But conversely, don't expect us to not respond to your statements and make us essentially have to 'defend' a policy change, that is still considered lax by most forum standards. Do you realize that you get almost 12 chances before you get permanently banned? Twelve. That's practically unheard of on most forums, and yet you are here arguing back-and-forth that we are still being too strict.

I didn't realize that it was 12 chances before a perma-ban. However, the kind of strictness I was talking about wasn't with that. I'll just bring up one example: when you first replied to me, you included the quote of my post saying: "Well said, Gregor. Well said."
I assume that that was included in your response to me for a reason. I assume, correct me if I'm wrong, that it was apparently "misconduct" to post that, just like it's frowned upon when someone posts memes on this forum. That's the kind of strictness I was talking about.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#42 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:51 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Aug 14 2012, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, the discussion can continue right here. We welcome your opinions and will do our best to answer them fully to the best of our ability, even if you don't like the answers given.

I didn't realize that it was 12 chances before a perma-ban. However, the kind of strictness I was talking about wasn't with that. I'll just bring up one example: when you first replied to me, you included the quote of my post saying: "Well said, Gregor. Well said."
I assume that that was included in your response to me for a reason. I assume, correct me if I'm wrong, that it was apparently "misconduct" to post that, just like it's frowned upon when someone posts memes on this forum. That's the kind of strictness I was talking about.

Memes are generally used lately on this forum as another way to antagonize another poster. No actual word posting is made, just a picture/gif showing some kind of sarcastic response that does absolutely nothing to add to the conversation, and everything to further anger and piss off whoever the meme was aimed it. So yes, they are frowned upon here now, and that is something that's not going to change.

#43 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Aug 13 2012, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, the discussion can continue right here. We welcome your opinions and will do our best to answer them fully to the best of our ability, even if you don't like the answers given.

Memes are generally used lately on this forum as another way to antagonize another poster. No actual word posting is made, just a picture/gif showing some kind of sarcastic response that does absolutely nothing to add to the conversation, and everything to further anger and piss off whoever the meme was aimed it. So yes, they are frowned upon here now, and that is something that's not going to change.

What about the situations where they are not used in such a way? Where they're used solely for humor, and not to antagonize anyone?

AboojTi.gif

#44 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

Almost twelve. There are a combination of ten warnings and bans, provided that one is unable to keep out of trouble for more than six months which resets the slate at least partially (depending on how far you've gone). The eleventh incident gets a permaban.

You didn't pick up a warning for that post. Shauna probably quoted it because it was discussing the permaban. I would've quoted it as well, as an attempt to subtly question why it was entertaining to watch a member meltdown to the point of requiring a permaban. But I suppose that it can be entertaining to watch the chaos from the sidelines.

Krazy made the unofficial warning after you asked twice about leniency and to name who you had antagonized in this thread (predicting his response?). And he was jumping the gun there.

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Aug 14 2012, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about the situations where they are not used in such a way? Where they're used solely for humor, and not to antagonize anyone?

Humor is pretty much always poking fun at somebody - unless it's puns, in which case, it's meant as a form of torture. We aren't always looking at intent because we can't read minds. We're looking at the end result. If somebody gets offended by a post and we think that they have a reasonable case for it (not that they have to explain it), we'll issue a warning. So think about how your posts look from a different perspective. Other people may not be seeing it in the context that you're intending.

#45 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Aug 14 2012, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Almost twelve. There are a combination of ten warnings and bans, provided that one is unable to keep out of trouble for more than six months which resets the slate at least partially (depending on how far you've gone). The eleventh incident gets a permaban.

You didn't pick up a warning for that post. Shauna probably quoted it because it was discussing the permaban. I would've quoted it as well, as an attempt to subtly question why it was entertaining to watch a member meltdown to the point of requiring a permaban. But I suppose that it can be entertaining to watch the chaos from the sidelines.

Krazy made the unofficial warning after you asked twice about leniency and to name who you had antagonized in this thread (predicting his response?). And he was jumping the gun there.

It really didn't seem like a meltdown to me or a few people I know, but hey, if that's you're interpretation, I won't argue it. Watching the chaos from the sidelines sums it up well enough, though.
And oh, alright.

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Aug 14 2012, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Humor is pretty much always poking fun at somebody - unless it's puns, in which case, it's meant as a form of torture. We aren't always looking at intent because we can't read minds. We're looking at the end result. If somebody gets offended by a post and we think that they have a reasonable case for it (not that they have to explain it), we'll issue a warning. So think about how your posts look from a different perspective. Other people may not be seeing it in the context that you're intending.

Not gonna lie, bolded made me chuckle, partly because of how true it is. But humor is far from always being making fun of someone. Look at a few of the blogs people have on here (mine would be a decent enough start, I think) for memes/pictures throughout that are used for humor that isn't insulting someone. Heck, look at the little joke you made there about puns being torture. You could have thrown in a little picture/meme after that (if it fit the context well enough) and voila, there's an example of a non-offending meme joke. See what I mean?

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 14 August 2012 - 05:44 AM.

AboojTi.gif

#46 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

I think I owe everyone an apology. Like Shauna mentioned I was not exactly
In a good mood when I posted earlier. And for that I am extremely sorry.
The comment I made about warnings and bans in no way reflect what
The mod team actually think. In fact I usually don't think that way either.
I just had an extremely bad day and ended up taking it out on you guys....
Once again I deeply apologize. I promise I won't moderate angry henceforth.

#47 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Aug 14 2012, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not gonna lie, bolded made me chuckle, partly because of how true it is. But humor is far from always being making fun of someone. Look at a few of the blogs people have on here (mine would be a decent enough start, I think) for memes/pictures throughout that are used for humor that isn't insulting someone. Heck, look at the little joke you made there about puns being torture. You could have thrown in a little picture/meme after that (if it fit the context well enough) and voila, there's an example of a non-offending meme joke. See what I mean?

And if I had included a picture of a meme, it would not have been an example of somebody solely responding with a meme and no wording. It's not an absolute ban, but it's gotta be reined in. They've been way overused here recently, like the Orson Welles gif.

And I mean, you've spent half a dozen posts in this thread complaining about the fact that we aren't letting you complain. That sort of thing is just tiring. A few posts to discuss /ask about the policy is fine - and you've had some of those, but it wasn't the foot that you started out on.

#48 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Aug 14 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And if I had included a picture of a meme, it would not have been an example of somebody solely responding with a meme and no wording. It's not an absolute ban, but it's gotta be reined in. They've been way overused here recently, like the Orson Welles gif.

And I mean, you've spent half a dozen posts in this thread complaining about the fact that we aren't letting you complain. That sort of thing is just tiring. A few posts to discuss /ask about the policy is fine - and you've had some of those, but it wasn't the foot that you started out on.

The Orson Welles gif... I actually do want to ask about that. If they respond with a meme like that that isn't antagonizing anyone, why is that not acceptable? The Orson Welles gif is praise, isn't it? (well, in the context it was used here it was praise, anyways) But posts like that are actually a brilliant example of non-harmful meme responses. I'm surprised I didn't think to mention those kinds of memes in my earlier post, actually. Thanks for bringing that up.

Yeah, that's true. I have been talking on this thread a lot about that. But, to be fair, we're past that subject now, I think.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 14 August 2012 - 06:16 AM.

AboojTi.gif

#49 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Congrats Tricksie wink.gif

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#50 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

Really glad to hear we have a new mod. Congrats tricksie!

#51 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

Congrats tricksie! You're gonna be great biggrin.gif

The policy is a great step. I joined this forum for the fandom, but I stayed (well, ghosted about) because of the community xD Thanks for everything you've done so far, mods and admins! th_glomp.gif

#52 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (peanutbutter126 @ Aug 14 2012, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The policy is a great step. I joined this forum for the fandom, but I stayed (well, ghosted about) because of the community xD Thanks for everything you've done so far, mods and admins! th_glomp.gif

Everything pb said and more! This is a great forum and I enjoy coming back to visit even when I'm swamped to my neck in stuff to do because it's such a wonderful place! It's great that the rules will be enforced more strictly in order to keep the forum a peaceful and enjoyable site.

Also, a big CONGRATS to TRICKSIE! You're gonna be an awesome mod! biggrin.gif

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#53 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (peanutbutter126 @ Aug 14 2012, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Onionhead Attacks @ Aug 14 2012, 04:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everything pb said and more! This is a great forum and I enjoy coming back to visit even when I'm swamped to my neck in stuff to do because it's such a wonderful place! It's great that the rules will be enforced more strictly in order to keep the forum a peaceful and enjoyable site.

Thanks! th_glomp.gif

It's nice to know that at least the majority of you appreciate all that we've done, and continue trying to do for this forum and it's members a_hug.gif

#54 Hak

Hak

Turmion kätilö

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Congrats Tricksie!

I'm happy wth the tightened course you mods and admins are taking. That is mainly because when I joined I wanted to find a civil Naruto forum, where topic discussion was reasoned and in good spirit, and this is the only I've found. A bit longer than lately the course has been changing.

So thank you for the admins and mods for directing this forum back to the course where I first had the good enough impression to join up!
Trust me, I'm an engineer!

#55 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Congratulations tricksie.

So, since we are here, I would like to get this straight, does it mean that from now, instead of closing threads all together every time that there is trouble, the mods will punish the troublemakers instead?

Edited by alexander, 14 August 2012 - 07:23 PM.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#56 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Grats tricksie. Take good care of the ol' H&E.

This place is pretty much my 'home away from home' on the net, so it's nice to see that it's well-cared for. Even if I don't always have something to say, I'm always reading.

#57 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (peanutbutter126 @ Aug 14 2012, 08:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Onionhead Attacks @ Aug 14 2012, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, a big CONGRATS to TRICKSIE! You're gonna be an awesome mod! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Hak @ Aug 14 2012, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats Tricksie!

I'm happy wth the tightened course you mods and admins are taking. That is mainly because when I joined I wanted to find a civil Naruto forum, where topic discussion was reasoned and in good spirit, and this is the only I've found. A bit longer than lately the course has been changing.

So thank you for the admins and mods for directing this forum back to the course where I first had the good enough impression to join up!

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Aug 14 2012, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Grats tricksie. Take good care of the ol' H&E.

This place is pretty much my 'home away from home' on the net, so it's nice to see that it's well-cared for. Even if I don't always have something to say, I'm always reading.

Thank you all for your support. biggrin.gif It's for all of you that we're doing this for. smile.gif

QUOTE (alexander @ Aug 14 2012, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulations tricksie.

So, since we are here, I would like to get this straight, does it mean that from now, instead of closing threads all together every time that there is trouble, the mods will punish the troublemakers instead?

Well, as you may have seen with the recent Road to Ninja thread, it was re-opened after official warnings were given out and posts related to the argument deleted to put it back on topic. The delay was mainly because we all had to take time to read through all 5 pages of that argument and decide which posts had violated the rules. Hopefully, with everyone's help, we will be able to respond to trouble quickly enough to take care of things without the need to temporarily close threads.

#58 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

Damn what did I miss? lol I'm late to the party but Congrats Tricksie! I'm glad to see you got the promotion.

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#59 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Can sectional thread bans and time temp bans be effectively used before perma?

Edited by Dreamer, 16 August 2012 - 04:21 AM.

#60 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

Congratulations, Tricksie!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users