• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 Hopestar

Hopestar

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Interests:Food: Asian (specifically Japanese)
    Religion: Christian
    Sports: Golf, Tennis, Rowing/Crew
    Hobbies: Finance, Politics, Books, Fine dining, video games
    Music: Rock

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:07 AM

Hey check out what I found from Naruto Central
In Defense of SasuSaku

CHUUNIN is a great blog that I wish I followed more closely. Posted today:

Okay, so I wanted to make a post that deals with my love for SasuSaku, because from what I've heard and read it's a pretty rare thing for a SasuNaru/NaruSasu writer to also like SasuSaku (and NaruSasuSaku, but we won't get into that this time).

So, the following is my reasons for shipping SasuSaku, and my realization that the pairing is perhaps even more plausible than the SasuNaru pairing, which I also ship and write way more fic for, so please don't take this as an argument against pairings other than SasuSaku.

Warning: This essay contains a lot of manga scan pictures to illustrate certain points and the whole thing is basically a giant spoiler, so consider yourself warned if you aren't all caught up.

Type your cut contents here.So to start off, I'm going to include right off the bat the one portrayal of Sakura that SasuSaku haters point to in their attempt to explain why 1) Sakura is such a b*tch and 2) Sasuke hates her. I'm talking, of course, about the Sakura of volume one, chapter 3 of the manga in which Sakura makes a shallow and cruel comment about Naruto in front of Sasuke and gets told off for it.

So, here we have the most unflattering portrayal of Sakura in the entire manga. A snippet of time in which she is childish (like any twelve year old that hasn't been forced to grow up too soon by the trauma of being orphaned) and petty. And Sasuke calls her on it. Which is part of the reason that SasuSaku works as a pairing, because the next two pages show Sakura's reaction to that. Sasuke is the one who makes her think about her actions, makes her feel regret a little and resolve to be a better person because of it.

What we have here is the first instance of Sasuke making Sakura stronger, helping her to grow. Naruto will also do this in the continuing plotline, but it's Sasuke who reaches Sakura first, and it is love for Sasuke and a desire to protect him and Team Seven's bond which drives Sakura to be all that she can be in the army.

Also in the first volume we see signs that Sasuke trusts Sakura enough to confide in her some of his ambitions, some of his past. At the first bell test, when Sakura basically implies that the task is too difficult and that they should give up and try another time, Sasuke explains why he can't give up. Now he could have just shot her down without attempting to explain himself to her, but he doesn't. Instead he tries to let her understand him as much as she can. This is, I think, the first instance in which we see Sasuke being emotionally gentle with Sakura, or at least as much as his stunted emotional self can manage.

Also after the bell test, we have the second instance of Sasuke helping Sakura to grow. Some Sasuke-bashers seem to forget that Sasuke was the first person to really pay attention to Kakashi's lesson on team work and put it into practice. When he gives his lunch to Naruto, and Sakura follows suit after he explains his reasonings, it is the first time Team Seven works together and Sasuke initiates it. Arguments about Sasuke never being willing to work with Team Seven from the start aren't going to cut it.

So, onto the Wave Country Arc in which Sasuke protects Sakura from an attack at the possible expense of his own life. When he did this for Naruto, thousands of SasuNaru fans went OMGTRUELUV!!!!eleventy!! When he does this for Sakura OVER AND OVER AGAIN it is brushed off as just some thing Sasuke does because Sakura is "weak" and "useless" and other such nonsense. The point is, if Kakashi hadn't been there, Sasuke might have be seriously hurt or killed by the attacking nin and then his plan for revenge on Itachi would have been ruined. And yet he took that risk anyway for Sakura's sake.

Also keep in mind that Sakura, despite being completely unused to combat fighting and relatively poor in taijutsu skills, and likely to get her ass handed to her at this stage in the manga, is completely willing to fullfill her duties as a kunoichi and protect the target. That, people, is not the behaviour of someone "weak" and "useless" at all, considering that even Naruto froze at his first real combat situation and almost got taken out. At least Sakura got a kunai out and ready to defend herself and the target with.

Next reference is the chapter where Team Seven is training in the forest. When Sasuke asks Naruto to tell him what tips Sakura gave him for controlling his chakra, it shows that Sasuke really does acknowledge Sakura's skill and intelligence, although his pride forbids him to admit it to her face just yet.

Then the fight with Zabuza and Haku. While Sasuke takes on Haku, Sakura is left to protect Tazuya once more. She's concerned about Sasuke but when Kakashi reassures her, she decides to trust that Sasuke will be okay and concerns herself with her own job. Sasuke, for his part, worries about Sakura's safety as well. The amount of concern on his face in the panel when he hears her scream is particularly poignant.

One Haku side-story and a thousand needles later, Sasuke "dies" and we get the scene where Sakura fights with her shinobi training and her heartbreak only to have her true emotions break through in the end. These aren't the tears of someone who just had a silly crush that was baseless. Sakura cries for Sasuke and her own realizations that the shinobi way, as it was taught to her as a child, doesn't hold room for human emotions. In a way, both Sakura and Naruto's innocence of what it meant to be a shinobi "died" with Sasuke. When he was revived to them, it became clear that they would have to find a different way to fight.

Alright, moving right along to the Chuunin Exam Arc, here's where we get a lot of Sakura/Sasuke interaction. Sasuke, after the Wave Country experience, realizes that he's not half as strong as he needs to be in order to defeat Itachi and also realizes that he's more caught up in Team Seven then he would, perhaps feel comfortable with. This makes him edgy and nervous and leads him to snap at Sakura when she suggests spending time with him. Basically his words are, "if you have time to spare you should use it to practice, because right now you're weaker than Naruto."

Sakura--who becomes depressed at the realization that unless she gets stronger, she's never going to hold Sasuke's attention--becomes even more depressed at the knowledge that Kakashi's entered them in into the Chuunin Exams. She knows she can't keep up with the boys as she is currently.

So, a large driving force that allows Sakura to become stronger is wishing for Sasuke to acknowledge her. Please notice, SasuNaru fans, that this is the same thing that drives Naruto to become stronger during the Chuunin Exams: acknowledgement from Sasuke. You can't privledge Naruto's reasons and degrade Sakura's just because she's a girl.

Also, see this panel in which Sasuke notices Sakura's depression about the Chuunin Exams. It proves that he does notice her and her feelings, and can tell when she's faking her emotions. Sasuke doesn't ignore Sakura at all.

Not only does Sasuke notice Sakura's depression and anxiety, he tries to help ease it by complimenting her skill in seeing through genjutsu. This is the second time we see Sasuke being gentle with Sakura, caring for her emotional well-being. NaruSaku shippers, please note Naruto's cluelessness at what is taking place between Sasuke and Sakura. Naruto completely failed to notice that Sakura was upset, let alone analyzed the reasons why and tried to help her. An instance in which Sasuke is more emotionally sensitive than Naruto. THE WORLD MUST BE CAVING IN ZOMG.

Okay, now into the Forest of Death, which is a totally stupid name for a forest anyway and what is this a Monty Python movie Kishimoto? , where Sasuke protects Sakura once more against attackers while Naruto fights off Orochimaru's huge snake and oh god that sounds so wrong.

Orochimaru finds Sasuke and Sakura and scares the s*** out of both of them, but mostly frightens Sasuke. And this is where the SasuSaku dynamic changes a bit, because Sasuke's fear breaks Sakura's childish vision of Sasuke as the strongest ninja around, of him as the invincible, and the ideal. Sasuke shows weakness and the idealism Sakura had for Sasuke is shattered when she calls him a coward.

This is evidence of two things: 1) that Sakura can no longer be accused of not seeing Sasuke as a flawed person and therefore still be under the status of having a naive school-girl crush, and 2) Sakura calling Sasuke a coward bothers him. Like, majorly. Right after the panel of her calling him that, he flashes back to Itachi's cutting words about his cowardice. And we all know how much Itachi's words effect Sasuke.

So, Orochimaru and Sasuke fight, and then Sasuke gets vampire bitten. What do we see then? Sasuke reaching out for comfort from Sakura. When in pain he reaches for her. So, we have Sakura going from the protected to the protector. And she knows it's a task she's not ready for but she's going to try anyway because she wants to save both her boys.

When Sakura fights the Sound Three, she does so knowing she can't win, but also knowing that she wants to be able to protect her precious people. Cutting her hair signifies Sakura cutting herself off from her previous vanities, and her wish for Sasuke to see her as a sex object. What she wants now is to be seen as a equal.

Sakura's love for Sasuke makes her stronger, not weaker. Is this the face of someone who is pathetic? NO. That is a strong, devoted kunoichi.

So, not only is the Forest of Death the point where Sakura really comes into her own as a character, it's also where the SasuSaku relationship gets a giant boost. Because Sasuke wakes up from his curse-seal coma overflowing with evil chakra, he could have just used it to turn on everyone like a berserker.

Instead, Sasuke gets extremely angry at the fact that Sakura's been beat up a bit. So angry that he violently attacks Dosu and taunts him. Sakura sees this and afraid, not for herself, but for Sasuke, who she knows is acting strangely. The embrace she gives him brings him back to himself. That Sakura is able to snap Sasuke out of his curse-seal induced rage speaks volumes about the bond that the two of them have, and how she's able to reach him on an emotional level.

Then there's the fact that both Ino and Sasuke know Sakura is bulls***ting when she brushes off her shorn hair as merely an image change. Ino knows Sakura's feelings because she was her closest friend for a long time. Sasuke has to be paying real close attention to Sakura to also pick up on when she's hiding her feelings.

So, Post-Chuunin Exams, when Sound makes its move and Gaara goes after Sasuke, there are some significant moments. One being when Sakura dashes in front of an injured Sasuke to take a hit from Gaara. Gaara, for all his stunted emotions, recognizes this as an act of love and he flashes back to Yashamaru, who told him about love in the first place, and Gai, who showed an act of love when he interfered to keep Gaara from killing Lee.

And even though Naruto ends up being the one to save Sakura from Gaara, it's not as if Sasuke was there going "yeah kill the b*tch, I don't care." In fact, Sasuke was totally willing to stay behind and fight Gaara so that Naruto could rescue Sakura and take her to safety.

For those who don't think Naruto would fully support Sakura and Sasuke if they were to get together, I present to you exhibit A:

Sakura hugs Sasuke in relief upon his awakening by Tsunade. Naruto recognizes that this is a private moment between the two of them and backs away. His smile's a little sad, but he's still smiling. Because he loves both of them and wants them to be happy.

Another significant moment is when Sakura reveals to Naruto the secret of Orochimaru's mark. It was something she was specifically told by Sasuke not to reveal, but she does it anyway, risking Sasuke's trust in order to keep him safe. A small gesture, but a poignant one, no less.

Sakura, knowing Sasuke, realizes that he will leave Konoha, despite Kakashi's reassurance and Naruto's that things will go back to normal. When she goes to plead with him to stay or take her with him to Sound, it's one of the most heartbreaking scenes in the manga. She flashes back to the first interaction in volume one, when Sasuke chides her for being cruel to Naruto and accuses him of hating her.

What's significant is Sasuke's response to that, because even though he's leaving, he still shields her emotionally by saying he doesn't remember that once incident when she was shallow and petty, or his disgust with her lack of understanding, even though he clearly does remember what happened that day.

He's still being incredibly gentle with her, after coming after Naruto with the chidori and deciding to break his ties with Konoha to pursue Itachi.

Sasuke turns to leave, and Sakura confesses that she loves him. Or if you believe certain NaruSaku supporters, she confesses that "she really really really really likes him a lot". Either way, she's willing to become a missing nin with him, leaving behind her family, her friends, Kakashi-sensei, and Naruto to become a traitor to Konoha. Just to be with Sasuke. That's devotion, people. A little creepy and obsessive, yes, but you can't deny that she is devoted to him.

And all Sasuke can do for her in return for this show of devotion is shield her once again: emotionally, as he replays the scene he said he's forgotten with a smile this time, to soften the blow, and thanks her; and then he protects her from following after him into danger by knocking her out.

So many people forget the "thank you" and fall all over themselves to point out the "you're annoying" from Sasuke's lips. I think the gratitude is the more significant and poignant phrase of the two, myself. Since when does Uchiha Sasuke thank anyone? He might as well be spelling out in giant neon letters "I CARE ABOUT YOU, DON'T GET HURT FOR MY SAKE."

And just another reminder that loving Sasuke makes Sakura stronger.

Post time-skip, it becomes quickly apparent that Sakura's feelings haven't changed about Sasuke. She's still trying to be strong enough to get him back, only post Gaara-Rescue arc, Sakura discovers that she wants to get Sasuke back for Naruto as well, so he won't have to do it alone. Sakura has grown into someone who not only recognizes her own feelings about Sasuke, she recognizes the effect his leaving has on Naruto as well, and acknowledges the consequences of Naruto's promise to her to bring Sasuke back.

The first meeting with Sasuke post time-skip we get a full page reaction shot from Sakura, focusing in on her eyes. It's nothing overtly stated, but little things like the layout of a panel, the sheer amount of space given to Sakura's specific reaction, indicates that although it's been years, her feelings haven't diminished towards Sasuke at all.

And once again, loving Sasuke makes Sakura stronger, as she's seen trying to bolster Naruto's determination and reassure him.

While SasuSaku isn't explicitly canon, it does have the most build up as a romantic-type relationship. And while I have no trouble with shipping NaruSasu, SasuNaru, NaruSaku, or NaruSakuSasu as canon supported ships, I think it's important to recognize that SasuSaku is also a valid ship. Maybe even the most valid ship in terms of outwardly stated romantic relationships, because while the SasuNaru bond might be more intense, it is also described more in terms of brother/rival relationships instead of love interest relationships.

And while some people have described SasuSaku as ultimately a one-sided ship, with Sakura chasing after Sasuke (against her better judgement) and Sasuke ignoring her, brushing her off, or generally being cruel to her, which is not actually the case. Through this essay I've tried to show that Sasuke does notice Sakura-- perhaps, in those early chapters, even more than Naruto does--and makes an effort to let her understand him, makes an effort to reassure her and protect her emotions. For someone as traumatized and emotionally stunted as Sasuke, this effort he makes at a relationship with Sakura (which is different from the rivalry/friendship relationship he sets up with Naruto) signifies how important she is to him.

While Sakura reaches Sasuke on an emotional level, Naruto is the one who forces Sasuke to confront his emotions by challenging them. All members of Team Seven drive each other to grow and develop and learn about themselves. Part of what makes Sasuke such a great character is his ability to evoke these stages of growth from Naruto and Sakura, but sometimes I think people are more inclined to point out his effect on Naruto more than his effect on Sakura, while most of the time completely bypassing the effect Sakura has on Sasuke. SasuSaku, then, can't really be brushed aside as a one-sided ship as it's one of the relationships driving the plot of Naruto. And while the relationship between Sasuke and Sakura might not be an entirely healthy one, or the ones fans think is the best for both parties involved, it is a relationship that is represented in canon.

So what your thoughts?
[FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue]
Let light be our guide towards victory
Whenever there's despair there's a darkness, whenever there's hope there's a light and it's up to us to bring in that light.

#2 ia3

ia3

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:42 AM

I'm just gonna be kinda brief. He focuses mainly on how Sakura likes Sasuke(which is really explicit..and needs no more exposition), and how SasuSaku is better than NaruSasu(bleh..yaoi..). However, i think the evidence given to support Sasuke's apparent "care" for Sakura is pretty flimsy.

For eg, it's pretty obvious that Sasuke is more perceptive than Naruto, but i think he basically defeats the Sound Trio and protects Sakura (i'm assuming this is the Chuunin exam bit that he was referring to) because he doesnt want to feel weak and helpless, after the encounter with Orochimaru, and sees her as a part of his team that he has to protect. Further proof of this is probably the Gaara fight. He told Naruto to save Sakura because he doesnt want "precious teammates(nakama)" to die in front of his eyes. If he really likes Sakura then, he should have been willing to go all the way, and do whatever it takes(like Naruto). Yes, the curse seal was hindering him, but if it was Naruto in his place, i would reckon his spirit would overcome the curse seal, but that's really hypothetical.

After the time skip, there are quite a number of instances of Sakura really starting to care for Naruto, as opposed to totally ignoring him before the time skip. Also, there's the famous Yamato incident..
"I can tell by looking in your eyes. You..."
"Sakura-Chan..."

I think the way they greet each other when Naruto initially returns is another indicator of the feelings that has been building up. However, i cannot be too sure, as although i've read the manga, i have probably been influenced by a number of fanfics, which probe into the possiblities of both Naruto and Sakura's minds XD.

Just my 2 cents. Correct me if i made any mistakes. Peace =)

To disgrace oneself is something a samurai should never do.

#3 Mizura

Mizura

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

Hmm, shouldn't this be in the Icha Icha section?

I must say I always laugh when SasuSaku fans bring this up:

Also, see this panel in which Sasuke notices Sakura's depression about the Chuunin Exams. It proves that he does notice her and her feelings, and can tell when she's faking her emotions. Sasuke doesn't ignore Sakura at all.

Not only does Sasuke notice Sakura's depression and anxiety, he tries to help ease it by complimenting her skill in seeing through genjutsu. This is the second time we see Sasuke being gentle with Sakura, caring for her emotional well-being. NaruSaku shippers, please note Naruto's cluelessness at what is taking place between Sasuke and Sakura. Naruto completely failed to notice that Sakura was upset, let alone analyzed the reasons why and tried to help her. An instance in which Sasuke is more emotionally sensitive than Naruto. THE WORLD MUST BE CAVING IN ZOMG.

Omg like, WOW, Sasuke is SO empathic and SO caring about Sakura's feelings!

Ahem:
1. He's the one who made her depressed in the first place. =\
2. When he did notice, what he said was "Hmm, Sakura looks weird today." Weird. And he notes this passively.

That's like... SO empathic! XD

So yes, Sasuke might be more observant than Naruto at times, but he never Empathized with Sakura's problems. He observes some of them, gives her the occasional (ie, 1) thumbs up to cheer up this teammate of his, that's it.
- when Sakura was worrying about the curse seal, he told her to stay out of his business
- when Sakura was peeling apples for him, he was busy sulking and decided to slap her apples away instead
- when he was leaving, yes, the "thank you" was thoughtful. However, Sasuke Has shown himself capable of more thoughtful reactions than that. Heck he reminded post-timeskip Naruto of his dreams, even while he was attempting to scare him off. What does this tell me? That he's capable of being more considerate and be more tactful in trying to convince someone to leave, but he didn't bother with Sakura.
- and well, speaking of post-timeskip... "Is Kakashi here"?

Hmm. No hugs and speeches? =\

In the meantime, on Naruto, why don't you ask Sakura herself? "He's always helped me, he's always understood me!"

There you go. Naruto might not be observant at times, but what he does see, he is able to empathize with and reach out to Sakura. He noted her depression when Sasuke was telling her to stay out of his business, he kept her company and cheered her up when Sakura was worried about Orochimaru, he said that he understood and promised to do his best for her at the promise of a lifetime, and as for this "emotional shielding"? It seems to me that Sasuke was not so much attempting to shield her, more trying to close off Himself. Naruto by contrast does everything with Sakura's feelings in mind, hurting while she is hurting.

This:

Also in the first volume we see signs that Sasuke trusts Sakura enough to confide in her some of his ambitions, some of his past.

Also makes me laugh a lot. Do they Honestly think that at that point, Sasuke was like "omg I can Confide in you!" I think it's more that his problems weren't exactly a secret, he won't bring them up if not necessary but he isn't above declaring to the whole world that his goal in life was to kill a guy, and yes, he mentioned the part about himself crying. Then he called Sakura "annoying" to brush her off. He wasn't confiding in her, he was talking to himself. =\

Besides, let's ask Sakura what She thinks again: "Why don't you ever speak to me?"

Anyway, my manifesto is nearing completion, it should be complete within a few weeks (which yeah, I consider a short amount of time, given that I've been working on it for over half a year...)

The thing about NaruSaku is that yes, it has a lot less "romantic" development than pairings like SasuSaku or maybe even NaruHina.

Where it absolutely trounces them though, at least in my humble opinion, is "relationship" development, setting up all the foundations for a healthy long-term relationship (because honestly, since when is 50 years of healthy relationship based off a few nights of Crying of all things? =\ )

I hope you look forward to it. ^^

He told Naruto to save Sakura because he doesnt want "precious teammates(nakama)" to die in front of his eyes.

Did he really say that? ^^ (as opposed to the more general "precious people")

#4 puckreathof

puckreathof

The Old Lion grows weary...

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

This also could have been a sop to soothe her so she didn't hold him back in the Chuunin exams. You can interpret so many different things in SO MANY different ways.

#5 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 09 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

I also think its amusing that SasuSaku shippers bring up the Chunnin exam, when that all occured how many issues ago. And how has their relationship progress since then. In no way. Its just like Naruto and Hinata. Yes, they both had a few moments, but that's all they had.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#6 Shadow0fabandit

Shadow0fabandit

Poof no Jutsu

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

I'm speechless about this post. Most of his main topics are from Pre-Timeskip and they mean absolutely nothing up to this point since Sasuke tried to kill Sakura. Sasuke has done nothing for Sakura and the only thing sakura has done for Sasuke is not let him be bashed by Sai (which it in fact hurt Naruto, so I thought that had something to do with. She feels the same pain as Naruto, she lost a friend).

#7 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

Orochimaru finds Sasuke and Sakura and scares the s*** out of both of them, but mostly frightens Sasuke. And this is where the SasuSaku dynamic changes a bit, because Sasuke's fear breaks Sakura's childish vision of Sasuke as the strongest ninja around, of him as the invincible, and the ideal. Sasuke shows weakness and the idealism Sakura had for Sasuke is shattered when she calls him a coward.

Um... Don't we use this point? laugh.gif We, meaning NaruxSaku fans, usually use this instance to show how Sakura no longer sees him as a God. Plus when you just look at Part 1, you see a bunch of Sasuke and Sakura interaction. This part of the reason why people who have only read Part 1 have a hard time with converting to NaruxSaku. Heck, I was the worst SasuxSaku shipper of all.

In addition, in the beginning, he says he's explaining why SasuxSaku is more plausable than NaruxSasu. Well all you have to do is know that it's a SHOUNEN manga to figure that one out. dry.gif No boys who like action will read a story with a yaoi pairing. (It's all about the blood, guts, and sex(with women)... well at least MOST of the time.) However, I acknowledge that it could end with no romantic pairing at all.

This all just goes to show how people interpret things. (Although I belive NaruxSaku can be interpreted more often lately. XD)
tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#8 gamerman_007

gamerman_007

Shodaime Smexkage

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Females, Internet/computers B(o)(o)bs.

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:27 AM

Does anyone notice that this is on chunnin???? You know, the same site where that Naruhina poster posted that rant? The one with the random bolding of truth, and italics of logic?

Bunny: Sasuke, join me.
Sasuke: What will I receive if I join you?
Bunny: POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!
Sasuke: Sweet! what do I do?
Orochimaru: Sssssssssssssaaaaaaasssssssssukkkkkkeeeeeee-kkkuuuuuunnnn!
Sasuke: oh f***

Sono nantomo ienai sekushii na oshiri wo ore no kokan ni okittensukete rizumu ni awasete kosurinasai = Back that ass up. :D

#9 Hopestar

Hopestar

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:51 AM

SasuSaku doesn't have much to fall back for their agruments since its all repeats and even the databook is becoming very useless as part 2 continues. NaruSaku got the hints from part 2 so far however its becoming a little bland since its starting to get old.

If you notice something SasuSaku would have to change alot just to become natural-longing couple. Sasuke must get out of his cold interior and Sakura has to be pushover, still very complicate even I cannot explain what they must undergo in order to fully and consentially accept each other. NaruSaku won't need to change at all! Whar they are couple it would just be like when they were friends just adding love affection. Naruto will remain the powerful kuncklehead but is very possessive & protective of Sakura as he will be very sumissive to her. Sakura will remain headstrong inteligential but wont be a pushover and have Naruto very whipped too.
Whenever there's despair there's a darkness, whenever there's hope there's a light and it's up to us to bring in that light.

#10 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:15 AM

Those are some interesting points, but most aren't grounded, or like Mizura pointed out, contain catches.

The instant Sasuke put a hole through Naruto proved without a doubt that the Uchiha would be willing to blow through any obstacle to his attaining revenge. I bring this up because if Naruto and Sasuke have a bond between them, then what little Sakura and Sasuke share is most likely going to see a bigger (and more permanent) hole.

#11 adrianna

adrianna

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach!<br /><br />basketball, soccer (or football, whichever) tennis<br /><br />reading, shopping, computer

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

And while some people have described SasuSaku as ultimately a one-sided ship, with Sakura chasing after Sasuke (against her better judgement) and Sasuke ignoring her, brushing her off, or generally being cruel to her, which is not actually the case. Through this essay I've tried to show that Sasuke does notice Sakura-- perhaps, in those early chapters, even more than Naruto does--and makes an effort to let her understand him, makes an effort to reassure her and protect her emotions. For someone as traumatized and emotionally stunted as Sasuke, this effort he makes at a relationship with Sakura (which is different from the rivalry/friendship relationship he sets up with Naruto) signifies how important she is to him.

Actually, it's mostly Naruto who does the noticing. Way back in the earliest chapter for Sakura, it's actually Naruto who finally understands why he likes Sakura: she wants to be acknowlegded by someone, too. And with Sasuke blatantly telling her off about not having parents, I think that's more in Naruto's defense, not to make Sakura really understand him.

do you have a link for the original post with all the manga scans?

Part of the H&E Family (sister)

My Journal

#12 Coupe

Coupe

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. Random stuff

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:59 AM

Gee SasuSaku people are stuck in part one, arent they?
Conversation between me and my awesome drama teacher whilst watching Alfred Hitchcocks The Birds.

Are the birds some kind of Communist secret weapon?
No Jordan.

Are the birds under some kind of mind control by Big Bird from sesame street? Will Big Bird turn out to be the murderer? Will that girl turn around and big bird is behind her and she gets stabbed in the face?
No Jordan.

Is this the chickens revenge on Colonel Sanders?
Yes Jordan, this is a movie about an all bird terrorist group, led by big bird, funded by Communists on a mission to kill Colonel Sanders.

Really?
No Jordan.

#13 Penandsword1

Penandsword1

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:51 AM

Sadly, yes, I feel really sorry for them. NaruxSaku may not be a cannon pairing(yet) but it still has lots of material to work with. Isn't Naruto all about looking forward towards the future, changing and growing and learning? The future chapters in the manga is hinting towards romance in the NaruSaku and yes while Sakura did "love" Sasuke in the past, feelings do change and as people grow older, so do their perspective of other people around them. Unless they could provide some evidence from Part 2 in the manga that SasuSaku would work, its best they just leave the pairings to die.
From the flight deck before takeoff: I'm only gonna say this once: You have to turn off your laptop, iPod, Game Boy, CD player, BlackBerry, blueberry, strawberry, cherry, and Halle Berry -- yes, you have to turn her off, too! You have to turn off anything that isn't keeping you alive.

--JetBlue flight, JFK

#14 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (Coupe @ Oct 10 2006, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gee SasuSaku people are stuck in part one, arent they?

It is the bulk of the interaction between Sakura and Sasuke. Probably still most of the interaction between Naruto and Sakura as well although that raises the question of the type of interaction and where it's headed.

#15 Hopestar

Hopestar

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:51 AM

But in reality isn't Sakura closer to Naruto than Sasuke?

#16 Mizura

Mizura

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:28 AM

and makes an effort to let her understand him, makes an effort to reassure her and protect her emotions.

Oh yeah, I forgot that one.

Sasuke to Sakura:
- [insert comments about his past, which is nice and all, except it all ends with... "you're annoying"]
- "stay out of my business" (Naruto's response: "Hey you bastard! Sakura's worried about you!")
- *slaps apples away*
- "I can never be like you or Naruto"

Sakura's thoughts on Sasuke: "Why don't you ever speak to me?"

Hmm.

And if anybody wants an example of how a person can look out for someone else even while being in pain, see post-timeskip Naruto attempting to deflect her worries when it came to him dying if Kyuubi were ever drawn out.

#17 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Hopestar @ Oct 10 2006, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But in reality isn't Sakura closer to Naruto than Sasuke?

It definitely looks that way to me. I just meant that Part 1 can't be completely disregarded, even though it's also important to look at where a relationship is headed.

#18 Toa

Toa

Shota shota night fever~

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Computer, anime, music, drawing, arts, literature...a lot XD Neil~

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

That was too long...

Anyway, his/her essay is mostly composed of before the time skip and it did show some hints of SasuSaku...hmmm...

I still don't believe in his essay...SasuSaku...sheesh...

Sasuke all caring and understanding about Sakura's feelings?! WTF?!

Really, did he ever do that?

#19 Silent Shinobi

Silent Shinobi

Tatsumaru of the Cloud

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

In a word: No.

#20 adrianna

adrianna

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach!<br /><br />basketball, soccer (or football, whichever) tennis<br /><br />reading, shopping, computer

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

Also, the article states, somewhere, that Sasuke has shown more empathy towards Sakura than Naruto. Is that even humanly possible? I consider Naruto, in the highest regards, to be highly understanding and empathetic, and strong willed, which he is. Someone like him, who lives for his important people can't possibly be less empathetic than someone who lives to kill.

Part of the H&E Family (sister)

My Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users