20 replies to this topic

#1 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:20 PM

We haven't really had a new manga to talk about in a while in a topic.

209753.jpg

Act-Age is a Shounen manga on weekly shounen jump: "Kei Yonagi comes from a poor family. Her father ran out on her and her two younger siblings, leaving her to fend for the family herself. When the opportunity comes to chase her dream of becoming an actress, Yonagi jumps at the chance. Catching the eye of Director Sumiji Kuroyama, Yonagi’s opportunity to shine has come. However, Yonagi’s talent for acting comes from her extreme and innate ability for Method Acting, one that various individuals note as potentially self-destructive." 

The girl comes off at first a bit bland her special skill is either to replay a scene of her past or something she saw and using the emotion to act or she delves deeply into her role. By the fourth chapter she was stealing the scene as a side character in a feudal piece because she convinced herself that the girl was really about to be killed by a samurai, and she could do nothing about it.

The director is the eccentric mentor that has loads of experience but is new to the area who wants to use the girl to change the Japanese acting world.

The art is ok most of the time but this one panel is when I finally got interested in the manga. Its the scene I was talking about before; she really looks like she is internally destroying herself because she can't save that little girl:016.png

It has potential but it doesn't really feel like a shounen manga (more shojo or even seinen) and that doesn't help that it is a new manga in the most competitive shounen magazine.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 01 August 2018 - 07:16 AM.

#2 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:28 PM

I am reading it.

It's an interesting manga with good drawing style and I like very much the author's way of drawing expressions.

However, and I agree with you, Bail, it seems to me more a seinen or a josei... I was surprised to see this published in Shonen Jump.

It doesn't strike to me like the manga type from the magazine.

I sincerely hope that this manga will keep on.

Edited by Niky, 07 July 2018 - 02:31 PM.

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”

G. K. Chesterton

tumblr_o3tosabkSm1untbo7o4_r2_250.gif

Their first encounter...

#3 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:51 PM

I am reading it.

It's an interesting manga with good drawing style and I like very much the author's way of drawing expressions.

However, and I agree with you, Bail, it seems to me more a seinen or a josei... I was surprised to see this published in Shonen Jump.

It doesn't strike to me like the manga type from the magazine.

I sincerely hope that this manga will keep on.

If they can't draw expression then this manga about the incredible acting ability of the main girl is going to be a problem when they can't show it. That's why the image is so important. It shows yes they can show it.

I just finished reading the latest chapter. This manga also has the problem not have much of a cast yet. It has the girl, the director, the girls two little siblings, the directors assistant, the lady that runs the acting agency, her son, the what looks to be the girl main rival that she hasn't even met yet, and the three people that were introduce last chapter or so. None them have really have time to shine other then the director, the girl is still a bit too bland.

From what I can tell (granted from one poll) it middle of the road at shounen jump at the moment it is at least more popular then that golf manga that just got cancelled.

#4 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:47 PM

If they can't draw expression then this manga about the incredible acting ability of the main girl is going to be a problem when they can't show it. That's why the image is so important. It shows yes they can show it.

I just finished reading the latest chapter. This manga also has the problem not have much of a cast yet. It has the girl, the director, the girls two little siblings, the directors assistant, the lady that runs the acting agency, her son, the what looks to be the girl main rival that she hasn't even met yet, and the three people that were introduce last chapter or so. None them have really have time to shine other then the director, the girl is still a bit too bland.

From what I can tell (granted from one poll) it middle of the road at shounen jump at the moment it is at least more popular then that golf manga that just got cancelled.

What chapter is the last one?

The nine?

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”

G. K. Chesterton

Their first encounter...

#5 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

The nine?

Yes. I believe so. It's weekly.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 08 July 2018 - 05:29 AM.

#6 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:28 PM

We have really had a new manga to talk about in a while in a topic.

209753.jpg

Act-Age is a Shounen manga on weekly shounen jump: "Kei Yonagi comes from a poor family. Her father ran out on her and her two younger siblings, leaving her to fend for the family herself. When the opportunity comes to chase her dream of becoming an actress, Yonagi jumps at the chance. Catching the eye of Director Sumiji Kuroyama, Yonagi’s opportunity to shine has come. However, Yonagi’s talent for acting comes from her extreme and innate ability for Method Acting, one that various individuals note as potentially self-destructive." 

The girl comes off at first a bit bland her special skill is either to replay a scene of her past or something she saw and using the emotion to act or she delves deeply into her role. By the fourth chapter she was stealing the scene as a side character in a feudal piece because she convinced herself that the girl was really about to be killed by a samurai, and she could do nothing about it.

The director is the eccentric mentor that has loads of experience but is new to the area who wants to use the girl to change the Japanese acting world.

The art is ok most of the time but this one panel is when I finally got interested in the manga. It the scene I was talking about before; she really looks like she is internally destroying herself because she can't save that little girl:016.png

It has potential but it doesn't really feel like a shounen manga (more shojo or even seinen) and that doesn't help that it is a new manga in the most competitive shounen magazine.

Looks nice. I'll give it a shot :yes:

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#7 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:52 AM

The nine?

Yes. I believe so. It's weekly.

Just went around checking. The manga is at least up to chapter 23. How ever the people translating it are only at 9 10.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 01 August 2018 - 07:17 AM.

#8 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:58 PM

I found the raws! :th_yeah:

This manga is more and more interesting... :yes:

I like the actress rival but I am waiting for the new character introduced in chapter 23 because... You see... The man was eating a... bear (?!?!?!?!?)?!?!? :wot:  

Edited by Niky, 09 July 2018 - 12:59 PM.

G. K. Chesterton

Their first encounter...

#9 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:40 PM

Just went around checking. Them manga is at least up to chapter 23. How ever the people translating it are only at 9 10.

Late translation and, now, problems with the scanalators' group (check on reddit if you want)...

Edited by Niky, 09 July 2018 - 01:40 PM.

G. K. Chesterton

Their first encounter...

#10 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:56 PM

I found the raws! :th_yeah:

This manga is more and more interesting... :yes:

I like the actress rival but I am waiting for the new character introduced in chapter 23 because... You see... The man was eating a... bear (?!?!?!?!?)?!?!? :wot:

The bear boy must be the next challenge she must face.

Can't read Japanese but going off the characters. She was able to bond with the big star girl that maybe her rival best friend, and manage to by the end actually make the the girl become concern for her, allowing the girl to open up. To truly feel instead of just acting.

Late translation and, now, problems with the scanalators' group...

Seems like it. Well if it survives, and stays long enough to get an anime a dedicated group will eventually work on it every week. My guess most groups didn't want to bother because they didn't think it would even last this long.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 01 August 2018 - 07:18 AM.

#11 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:03 PM

Seems like it. Well if it survives, and stays long enough to get an anime a dedicated group will eventually work on it every week. My guess most group didn't want to bother because they didn't think it would even last this long.

My guess too! :yes:

G. K. Chesterton

Their first encounter...

#12 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:30 AM

I started chapter 1. Just out of curiousity, is it explained why she cries a lot?

#13 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:08 AM

I started chapter 1. Just out of curiousity, is it explained why she cries a lot?

She was told to draw on the emotion of sadness. So she recalled when her mother died. It affected her even after the auditions.

#14 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:57 AM

Ah so she thinks of her mother a lot, so she cries even when she tries to smile? I am at the point to where she was taking care of her siblings but tears started falling out 

#15 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

Ah so she thinks of her mother a lot, so she cries even when she tries to smile? I am at the point to where she was taking care of her siblings but tears started falling out.

Are you still on the first chapter? She gets better after she got the job, and is taken under the director's wing.

#16 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

Yeah still only on Chpater 1

#17 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:10 PM

Okay so I finished Chapter 1 and I'm hooked, because what that CEO lady asked a very interesting question to me. Would acting make an actor or actress happy. So I'll continue with Chapter 2 soon :smile:

#18 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

I saw the 24th chapter (korean scans)... the (bear) boy is aesthetically very appealing and, somehow, 'different' from the other young characters and actors.

I am waiting the translation and the 25th chapter to define his personality and to consider him 'interesting' (so far, between the male characters, the only one who stand out is the director).

G. K. Chesterton

Their first encounter...

#19 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Act-Age's second volume was #48 in its first week in the July 2-8 rankings; with 15,540 sales.

#20 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

Its been picked up now it on chapter 20. Must have gotten popular recently, and translation group taken notice or something like that..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users