#1 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

Confirmed Here

Seriously? rolleyes.gif This is going to be a man who makes his living off of super hero films. I wish the other two people this role had been offered to had accepted it. not only is he gonna be Hal Jordan and dawn the green ring (that's weak against the color yellow, even though it's a component of the color itself laugh.gif ,) but he's still rumored to be Flash, on the edge of a a Hannibal King movie still with the Deadpool film still on his plate.... Come on hollywood. Find someone else. I think Ryan Reynolds is a good actor, and was my choice for Deadpool and Flash to begin with, but he's going to be in everything now. Why not make him Superman too while we're at it? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#2 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ Jul 11 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Confirmed Here

Seriously? rolleyes.gif This is going to be a man who makes his living off of super hero films. I wish the other two people this role had been offered to had accepted it. not only is he gonna be Hal Jordan and dawn the green ring (that's weak against the color yellow, even though it's a component of the color itself laugh.gif ,) but he's still rumored to be Flash, on the edge of a a Hannibal King movie still with the Deadpool film still on his plate.... Come on hollywood. Find someone else. I think Ryan Reynolds is a good actor, and was my choice for Deadpool and Flash to begin with, but he's going to be in everything now. Why not make him Superman too while we're at it? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Seriously? A white guy to do green lantern, even though it has been a black man for the past decade or so. GTFO. That is bullcrap.

#3 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (Sir Whirly @ Jul 11 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously? A white guy to do green lantern, even though it has been a black man for the past decade or so. GTFO. That is bullcrap.

rolleyes.gif

This movie is about Hal Jordan... that was already decided.

I haven't read that many comic books for a long time... so correct me if I'm wrong... but most of the popular GLs are white. Seriously, the only black GL I can think of off the top of my head is John Stewart. Only non-comic-book readers (who watched JLU) or overly-sensitive racism accusers would want a John Stewart movie over a Hal Jordan one.

Edited by Unknown Entity, 11 July 2009 - 10:14 PM.

Pretty bored.

#4 Burning_Wulf

Burning_Wulf

Just your friendly, neighborhood zombie hunter.

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Wolves, Anime/Manga, Rx7, NaruSaku, Timeoff work, Sleeping, Comics, Napping, Cats, Resting, Skeet, and Racing plus too much more....

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Jul 11 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rolleyes.gif

This movie is about Hal Jordan... that was already decided.

I haven't read that many comic books for a long time... so correct me if I'm wrong... but most of the popular GLs are white. Seriously, the only black GL I can think of off the top of my head is John Stewart. Only non-comic-book readers (who watched JLU) or overly-sensitive racism accusers would want a John Stewart movie over a Hal Jordan one.

Then there was the other human Laterns. Alan Scott, the original latern. Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, and Jade. ( Alan Scotts daughter). Yes, I am a comic book geek. happy.gif

coco_zps31bec3d3.jpg

#5 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:48 PM

...WAIT WAT this wasn't a dream!? WAT.

awww booooo! Reynolds wryyy. I like seeing him in my comedy romances! Not in my action films! I just can't take him seriously :( I always picture him beating up on his brother in Just Friends or as my softcore pron actor in Amityville Horror ...baw.

eh well I'm okay with him as Flash (didn't hear anything about that, pleasantly surprising it is!) and at least he looks like GL. No doubt my visual senses will be on high alert when watching this XDD

#6 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:00 AM

QUOTE (krisk @ Jul 11 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
eh well I'm okay with him as Flash (didn't hear anything about that, pleasantly surprising it is!) and at least he looks like GL.

Yeah, he's been in talks to play Flash forever.

Here's my problem with him playing Hal. I'm not a DC person (please let no bashing follow), but Hal's supposed to be a more serious role, one Reynolds has not had to fathom before. Ryan's strongest point is his comedic aspect, thus his casting as Deadpool and possibly Flash would be great. But Hal isn't something I can see him playing, and take him serious.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#7 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:06 AM

I quite agree, he's more comedian than mainly action, even a normally serious movie such as Blade Trinity had some comedy in it (wasn't funny imo, but you get my point)

#8 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (Sir Whirly @ Jul 11 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*epic facepalm*

Since when? The only time John Stewart was EVER a big deal has been in the Justice League cartoon. Hell, the only reason they even used him, as I recall, was to have a black guy on the team; shallow reasoning that pissed off a lot of longtime fans who felt Kyle (whom had already been established in a guest appearance in Superman) and Hal were being shafted for terrible reasoning. In the comics he has never held down a Green Lantern ongoing for long and has at best been a supporting character. Sure, he's in the Justice League right now, but Hal Jordan had to turn down being the GL of the League first because he felt John should get the spotlight; if JLU had never happened I highly doubt that would have occurred.

Most of Earth's prominent Green Lanterns have been white. Both of the best Earth Lanterns, Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner, along with Guy Gardner and Alan Scott (whom is not technically a part of the Corps, but is the original Green Lantern). See for yourself:

Alan Scott; the original Green Lantern

Hal Jordan; among the greatest of the Corps.

Guy Gardner; Honor Guard and all around tough guy Lantern.

Kyle Rayner; once the last Green Lantern and one of the greatest, whom is known among the Corps as "The Torchbearer"

John Stewart only held the main role for a short time when Kyle Rayner left earth. As I recall that only lasted an arc. Other than that, the only other point where he had much of anything was his Mosiac series.

Hal Jordan and Kyle Rayner are the main Green Lanterns. John Stewart is a great character and has gotten more of a role in the Corps in general once Kyle almost singlehandedly helped the rebirth of the Green Lantern Corps, but he never has been a starring Green Lantern. Which is why I literally facepalmed when you said that; it most certainly has not been a black guy for the last decade or even longer than six months.

I'm not too keen on this decision (Ryan would have made a better Wally West), but the last thing I'd be mad about is that it's based on one of the two Green Lanterns who have been the most important to the mythos.

Edited by dl316bh, 12 July 2009 - 12:47 AM.

bd5.jpg

#9 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:30 AM

I'm not all too bothered with this choice, as I enjoy his movies anyway. I do, however, feel he would have been a better choice for a Green Lantern movie based on Kyle Rayner, but he sure as heck is a better choice than Justin Timberlake *shivers*. I think the movie can be good, but it won't be another Batman Begins/The Dark Knight! I'll probably enjoy the movie regardless, but I'd be really happy if it was done well/right!

One thing bothers me though. If Ryan plays Green Lantern, and later on gets the part of the Flash... what would happen if they decided to finally make the JLA movie? They've been talking about it for ages, and we know movies about groups of heroes can be done well. I'm a big fan of the X-men movies, and I'm looking forward to the Avengers movie in a couple of years... so why not the Justice League? Will they choose all new actors (sub-par perhaps... more unknown faces?) to play the parts in that movie, or will Ryan have to pick if he'll stick to superspeed, or the most awesome weapon in the bloody universe?

#10 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:44 AM

I doubt Ryan will get the role of the Flash now. Anything could happen, of course, but I don't think WB would want to sabotage potential plans down the road by having two top shelf characters played by the same guy.

On the Justice League, they had a film going a couple years ago. It was hurt pretty bad by the Writers Strike. Once Marvel started getting huge hits, WB took notice. The films since been scrapped as WB re-evaluates what they want to do with the DC properties. They look to be moving forward with a similar structure to what Marvel is doing with the Avengers; solo films for a while with a slow build to a team film. In other words, Justice League probably won't crop up for quite a few years now.

To be honest, I'm not sad the original Justice League film was scrapped. From what I'd heard, it really didn't sound like it would turn out well. WB didn't seem to be taking the whole thing seriously until DC made a good portion of their money one year and Marvel started having major success with their films. There's a good chance it would have been a bomb, especially with the sort of cast they had going.
bd5.jpg

#11 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jul 11 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I quite agree, he's more comedian than mainly action, even a normally serious movie such as Blade Trinity had some comedy in it (wasn't funny imo, but you get my point)

Racial Lanterning aside, I think he's a good action star and he can do comedy, what I meant to say was that he did comedy better than drama and Hal if I remember correctly is so messed up as a character later on that he becomes Parallax, which I have yet to see Reynolds play something of that depth, but who knows, he may surprise us.

QUOTE (Vyse @ Jul 11 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not all too bothered with this choice, as I enjoy his movies anyway. I do, however, feel he would have been a better choice for a Green Lantern movie based on Kyle Rayner, but he sure as heck is a better choice than Justin Timberlake *shivers*. I think the movie can be good, but it won't be another Batman Begins/The Dark Knight! I'll probably enjoy the movie regardless, but I'd be really happy if it was done well/right!

One thing bothers me though. If Ryan plays Green Lantern, and later on gets the part of the Flash... what would happen if they decided to finally make the JLA movie? They've been talking about it for ages, and we know movies about groups of heroes can be done well. I'm a big fan of the X-men movies, and I'm looking forward to the Avengers movie in a couple of years... so why not the Justice League? Will they choose all new actors (sub-par perhaps... more unknown faces?) to play the parts in that movie, or will Ryan have to pick if he'll stick to superspeed, or the most awesome weapon in the bloody universe?

Vyse, JT could still be a Lantern, just not the main one. So he might still be in the movie. tongue.gif Remember that one time Lucas was going to put N'Sync in SW: Episode II? tongue.gif

Again as I said, he may surprise us, and I agree he's a better pick. But I feel Ryan Gosling, would have made an excellent Hal Jordan. Too bad he turned it down.

As far as Flash, and the Justice League movie goes, I'm sure the people looking at him for Flash are now thinking twice. but when they cast the JL movie, it may not be the main players of each hero's original series. I mean, honestly, I can't see Bale's Batman with Routh's Superman at all. This is the problem the DC movies will face, since most of the Marvel movies will be under Marvel's film studio productions, thus having a more single universe feel. Sorry, tangent... and cosine. tongue.gif

As far as awesome weapon....meh... smile.gif With that I thought I'd post, what I feel is the best put together fan-made super hero trailer:

Edited by chouzu_tao, 12 July 2009 - 04:05 AM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#12 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:04 AM

Hal if I remember correctly is so messed up as a character later on that he becomes Parallax

He was the vessel for Parallax, which is the embodiment of fear as Ion is the embodiment of Willpower (we didn't learn Ion was an actual entity like Parallax until Sinestro Corps War). The fear parasite preyed on him and caused him to snap when Coast City was destroyed. Technically everything that happened wasn't his fault, but he's been trying to repent for it ever since irregardless.

I mean, honestly, I can't see Bale's Batman with Routh's Superman at all.

I can't either. It's not going to happen though, so there's nothing to worry about. WB is rebooting the Superman franchise and Routh isn't returning. Bale as Batman could still be done for a Justice League film, but WB may just decide that such is it's own little universe and go with a new Batman in the continuity of the Justice League film. They don't really need to have films establishing Batman and his background, after all; the character really needs no introduction.
bd5.jpg

#13 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ Jul 11 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as awesome weapon....meh... smile.gif With that I thought I'd post, what I feel is the best put together fan-made super hero trailer:

wow.png

uc.png

#14 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

Totally agree with Ed's reaction wow.png wow.gif w00t.gif Awesome fan trailer
Though what movie was shown in the last part of the trailer? Didn't look like Serenity or Firefly to me.

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 12 July 2009 - 06:14 AM.

#15 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

Van Wilder is going to be the Green Lantern?!

Admittedly Reynolds did a pretty good performance in Smokin' Aces, but he does have that comedy allure about him. It be like if Will Ferrell played a super hero--the image doesn't set well (though Jim Carrey played an awesome Riddler in Batman Forever, so I guess it would have to be someone really maniacal/loony). I wasn't really a big fan of Green Lantern since my local comic book store never really promoted it much, so the only time I saw it was during the Justice League television show. But since it is a superhero movie I'd definitely like to see it in cinema.

#16 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Jul 11 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't either. It's not going to happen though, so there's nothing to worry about. WB is rebooting the Superman franchise and Routh isn't returning.

"In August 2008, Warner Bros. officially announced they intended to reboot the Superman franchise and take it in a "darker" direction due to the success of The Dark Knight. Routh is still set to reprise the role, according to DC Comics president Paul Levitz."

http://en.wikipedia....i/Brandon_Routh

Edited by No WhereMan, 13 July 2009 - 05:30 AM.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#17 Vyse

Vyse

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:09 AM

Well, the Batman we get from the new movies would probably be very different in an eventual JLA movie anyway, as I feel the Batman working with the rest of the league is not quite as dark as Bale's awesome portrayal. Perhaps we need Robin Begins before that could happen? (lol)

Anyway, although I enjoyed Superman Returns to some extent, I agree that the two characters probably clash a bit. But wouldn't Batman and Superman clash anyway on the big screen? They're like two sides to a coin, but God knows they're as different as night and day. I will stay my judgement on that matter until I see a trailer of it actually happening I guess.

Ryan Reynolds would still own butt as the Flash though, but I'm starting to get hyped about the GL movie as well. We have never seen much of the Green Lantern releases over here, but I've been reading up on him alot, and I'm as big of a fan as you can get with a limited budget as well as available comic books. Perhaps it's time to set sail and do some heavy pirating? YARR
The trailer you posted was really awesome Chou!

As far as Routh Returns:
This

We'll see though, but they'll have to start filming by 2011 (Siegel-clan ftw), so the next Supes movie will probably come to us in 2012 or something...(?) I'm not really up for another reboot, but if it's what I'll get, then at least make it SUPER!! XD

#18 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

So, you're trusting a wikipedia article that has likely not been updated to reflect recent news? Okay. My move.

http://movies.ign.co.../1001259p1.html

In an interview with Omelete on the set of Scott Pilgrim, the actor recently explained why he's unlikely to don the red cape again.

"The term of the contract expired," Routh says via Google's broken-English translation

Last year he was still under contract. Now he's not. Superman Returns was something of a critical flop and reception of Routh in the role was decidedly hit or miss. They're rebooting the franchise. Adding all that together pretty much spells that he's not going to be back; if they wanted ties to previous stuff they wouldn't be rebooting it in the first place.

As far as Routh Returns:

Haha. You beat me to it Vyse.

Edited by dl316bh, 13 July 2009 - 09:14 AM.

bd5.jpg

#19 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ Jul 11 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SERENITY! wow.png

Now that is one HAWT looking trailer fu.png

#20 Vyse

Vyse

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

I saw the Green Lantern animated movie yesterday, and I guess I enjoyed it. Hal had his moments there, but I'm a little confused as to the ending, although I won't spoil it. The characters looked alright, but I guess they did take some liberties with the character design on some of the characters *coughboodikkacough*

But it was a fun movie, and absolutely worth the download... I mean, worth getting your hands on, one way or another! wink.gif

The next animated movie from DC will be Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, and will be released on my birthday... probably as a gift to me, but I'm just glad they remembered! ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users