Close
Photo

Why do people here think Hinata is selfish whereas treat Sakura as a goddess?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#61 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:17 AM

It's hard to criticize Hinata for failing to do things the titular character fails to do all the time.

You know, I would have been disappointed if you hadn't made a comment on that.   :smile:

I don't find Naruto devoid of responsibility or ability to make difficult decisions.  But I do agree he hasn't made some I felt he should.

I think the difference lies in the way Kishimoto has presented the meaning of bonds.  Apparently team bonds, forgiveness, acceptance, and determination are key qualities of a true ninja in this story.  Naruto excels in these areas, even if it's maddening for us living in the real world..

#62 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

It's hard to criticize Hinata for failing to do things the titular character fails to do all the time.

It's hard not to criticize Hinata for failures that are held against other titular characters who do the same thing.

I might be one of the few here on this site that doesn't consider Hinata selfish, mainly because Naruto himself thought what Hinata did was a good thing (chapter 559 when he says "you saved me twice").  Sakura was only thinking of Naruto's feelings when she made that confession in chapter 469.  She wanted to rid him free of the burden she thought she put on him.  That's not selfish.  Both characters aren't perfect; that's what makes them both likable IMO.

A problem I have with this is is Naruto's judgement might not be perfect and might also be seen as too forgiving at times. I know some here talk about this many of times. Just because Naruto doesn't think she is selfish doesn't mean she wasn't and I think this is where we cross between character judgement vs reader judgement.

Naruto thought Obito was the coolest guy, but then a good portion of the people here call that nonsense.
Naruto think Sasuke and him or "great friends," but again a good portion find that hard to believe.
Naruto thinks Sakura is still in love with Sasuke, but who knows what the truth is.
Naruto thought, for a while, that everything dependent upon him and only he would carry the burdens, but this was proven false time and time again to which Naruto only finally accepted AFTER Neji was killed.

There are also many things and many times where Naruto's judgement wasn't always perfect and while yes he has his own views, it doesn't mean Naruto was always right. When he is proven wrong especially during armor peircing question like what happened with Pein and Obito. He is not always perfect and Naruto does have a tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 22 October 2014 - 06:53 AM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#63 lord287

lord287

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 10:58 AM

LMAO, this sounds ironic coming from you. From the past few weeks, you've been talking about how NaruSaku's been ruined just because of Sakura, when the reality is that it's both their faults. And aw, you made a thread just for me, you're too kind :smile:

How is their any fault of Naruto for Naruto not happening. Until now I thought you guys just ignore the bad things Sakura does to our pairings, but now you have actually started blaming on Naruto as well for ns not happening?? :goodjob:

If Naruto respects Sakura loving Sasuke and stays shut then it is Naruto who is at fault and not Sakura's ambiguous feelings, right? :wallbash: :wallbash:

Nobody is putting Naruto above Sakura, but it seems like you're doing exactly that since you want to judge Sakura on everything she's done, but not fault Naruto for anything. Hypocritical much? And how the hell is Sakura supposed to know about Naruto's feelings for her when the only thing that's on his mind 24/7 is Sasuke? You're trying to say that Sakura's obsessed with Sasuke, when Naruto's the kittening president of the Sasuke Uchiha fanclub. Nobody here is blind to Sakura's fault, but you sure seem like you oblivious to Naruto's.

I think you have misunderstood me. I am not saying anybody is putting Naruto over Sakura but the exact opposite. You have put Sakura above Naruto. As evidenced by the above quote, you think Naruto is at fault as well for NS not happening. I seriously don't understand that point. Sakura does knows about Naruto's feelings for her because Sai did told her about the feelings, and she USED those feelings of his to "save him" from the burden of POAL.

Oh, and I just love how you're trying to say that people here put Sakura on a pedestal with Naruto, when you're doing the exact same thing with Naruto to Sakura. I'm a Sakura fan first and foremost, and I want her to be happy. Naruto is not the the only person she could be happy with, and you're very mistaken if that's the case. She could be with a fodder ninja or even get with Lee, and would still be able to be treated like a queen. Naruto is not the only person Sakura could have a happy life with :no:

Yeah it is prety clear from your reactions that you are a huge Sakura fan and just to prove Sakura isn't the one at fault you go as far as bringing Naruto in fault for NS not happpening.

The only huge fault of Naruto and probably all this manga is that kishi made the brotp narusasu a little to much that it makes me :sick: . But Naruto isn't like that with only Sasuke. Naruto has done this with obito as well as Nagato,Zabuza and Haku. Naruto doesn't want strangers to get swayed from a correct path and walk on a path of evil, then how can he let sasuke who he considers as his brother be left alone.

I also know Sakura can be happy with anyone else than Naruto, I never said that she couldn't. I am saying if NS has to happen Sakura should have not used the term "I Love You" in 693. She could have just said lets be together as a team once again as the old times, but no she wanted to give a last shot at sasuke. And if Naruto confesses to her now and she accepts, it will make Naruto look lower than Sasuke and also a silver medal, because he got Sakura only after she was harshly rejected by Sasuke. I will be very happy If Sakura ends up with someone else other than Naruto because in that way atleast Naruto will have his self respect intact and he will not end up looking like a silver medal.(once again this does not mean I am saying NH/SS should happen)

I don't think that shutting down your feelings when you know the other person just doesn't feel the same way for you is a bad or fault thing. Naruto is just being respectful towards Sakura's feelings. Now if Naruto tells her that she loves him and make Sakura pity him will be really a respectful way to treat the character who has done nothing but show selfless love.

I know my english grammar is quite poor, so I don't know if you had trouble understanding what I want to say but I hope this post clears something up.

REST IN PEACE

15 YEARS OF DEVELOPMENTS

#64 Swagkura

Swagkura

真夜中の太陽

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts
  • Interests:KakaSaku & NaruSaku

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:45 AM

How is their any fault of Naruto for Naruto not happening. Until now I thought you guys just ignore the bad things Sakura does to our pairings, but now you have actually started blaming on Naruto as well for ns not happening?? :goodjob:

If Naruto respects Sakura loving Sasuke and stays shut then it is Naruto who is at fault and not Sakura's ambiguous feelings, right? :wallbash: :wallbash:

I think you have misunderstood me. I am not saying anybody is putting Naruto over Sakura but the exact opposite. You have put Sakura above Naruto. As evidenced by the above quote, you think Naruto is at fault as well for NS not happening. I seriously don't understand that point. Sakura does knows about Naruto's feelings for her because Sai did told her about the feelings, and she USED those feelings of his to "save him" from the burden of POAL.

Yeah it is prety clear from your reactions that you are a huge Sakura fan and just to prove Sakura isn't the one at fault you go as far as bringing Naruto in fault for NS not happpening.

The only huge fault of Naruto and probably all this manga is that kishi made the brotp narusasu a little to much that it makes me :sick: . But Naruto isn't like that with only Sasuke. Naruto has done this with obito as well as Nagato,Zabuza and Haku. Naruto doesn't want strangers to get swayed from a correct path and walk on a path of evil, then how can he let sasuke who he considers as his brother be left alone.

I also know Sakura can be happy with anyone else than Naruto, I never said that she couldn't. I am saying if NS has to happen Sakura should have not used the term "I Love You" in 693. She could have just said lets be together as a team once again as the old times, but no she wanted to give a last shot at sasuke. And if Naruto confesses to her now and she accepts, it will make Naruto look lower than Sasuke and also a silver medal, because he got Sakura only after she was harshly rejected by Sasuke. I will be very happy If Sakura ends up with someone else other than Naruto because in that way atleast Naruto will have his self respect intact and he will not end up looking like a silver medal.(once again this does not mean I am saying NH/SS should happen)

I don't think that shutting down your feelings when you know the other person just doesn't feel the same way for you is a bad or fault thing. Naruto is just being respectful towards Sakura's feelings. Now if Naruto tells her that she loves him and make Sakura pity him will be really a respectful way to treat the character who has done nothing but show selfless love.

I know my english grammar is quite poor, so I don't know if you had trouble understanding what I want to say but I hope this post clears something up.

Lol, I can see from your reaction to the chapter that you're a huge Naruto fan, it basically says it in your sig. Again, you ignore all of Naruto's fault, but of course you put all of the blame on Sakura, talk about being hypocritical again :fan:

I haven't misunderstood anything. Sakura has given Naruto many hints during the years that she may reciprocate the same feelings that he has for her. During the LOI arc, Sakura herself tells Naruto to give up on Sasuke, because she wants him to be safe. She's giving up on the guy she LOVED, the exact one that you keep saying is a higher priority to her, for Naruto, the one thats a "silver medal". Sounds pretty much like the same selfless love you keep spouting about Naruto having

And again, I love how you point out me being a hardcore Sakura fan. I sure am, and that's never gonna change :no:
Meanwhile, you're the same one blaming everything on Sakura, while Naruto's this perfect saint who can do absolutely no wrong. Who exactly is the hardcore fan again?

And why, do tell, did Sakura have to say anything other then I love you? Of course she loves him, and she always will. But you assumed that it was romantic, while it has been said by Kakashi, and even Sakura herself last chapter that it was completely platonic. Sakura's totally in love with him, but she has no desire of being in a relationship with him. It's the same Team 7 love you keep talking about.

Sakura's not the type of person who would be together with Naruto out of pity. That's nothing like her character at all. Plus, if you would be so happy that Sakura got with somebody else instead of Naruto, why don't you just ship NH then? Because in your eyes, Naruto will always be a silver medal to Sakura.

And please, the silver medal argument is the same exact ones used by NH/SS fans, so now you sound even more like one of them. Sakura & Sasuke were never together. For Naruto to be a silver medal, Sasuke & Sakura would have had to at least had something close to a relationship of love coming from both sides. Sasuke proved in 693 that he has never loved her, and Sakura has shown that she's ashamed of her feelings for him. Since thats not the case, Naruto technically wouldn't be able to be a silver medal to her, since her & Sasuke were never, and won't ever be anything more then teammates. Going by the logic you're using, everybody must be a silver place medal, since they will always have feelings for their first love.

I understand your grammar perfectly :yes:
tumblr_o2ymbkICMv1ttuk3wo3_500.gif

#65 Chatte

Chatte

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

I am just curious if this stems from the discrepancy in opinion I remember having with you (I think!) sometime ago... It's not that both of them don't do mistakes but... when have you seen Hinata worrying for someone outside Naruto?! And even with Naruto, it's her she focuses on, not him. The only similarity in this aspect between Hinata and Sakura is when we're talking SS, as Sakura does the same things Hinata does...not taking into account Sasuke's views over the matter. However, recently it has been proven to as the fact that at least Sakura acknowledges the flaws in that department, whereas Hinata is still in the IT having fantasy dreams about her wish in regards to Naruto...

2d617bda57e68a9871d0769988a82b4b93870803

Still rambling about Naruto/NaruSaku stuff on

https://chatte-georgiana.com

#66 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:37 PM

It's hard not to criticize Hinata for failures that are held against other titular characters who do the same thing.

Congratulations.

You have, once again, failed to address anything I actually said. Oh, and to makes matters worse you assume that I would feel the same way about other Hinata criticisms that I do about the specific one I address. Without proof.

You could have done what KnS did and, you know, actually address the point rather than the non-responsive smart-ass remark you made. Too much to ask I suppose.

I wouldn't be so irritated if this were not an ongoing habit of yours.

What a bunch of nonsense.

#67 KeikoxYusuke

KeikoxYusuke

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:16 PM

Naruto?

Yeah, he falls back on TNJ a lot....>.>

narusaku_opening_12_by_toastywarrior-d5i

#68 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:47 PM

I think a lot of good arguments have been raised so I'm not really getting into the debate but just wanted to say that I think the reason why Sakura is my favourite is because she's NOT a goddess. Sasuke and Naruto are the ones descended from a goddess. Hinata is the one that has a Byakugan like the goddess. Meanwhile, there's Sakura on the side with the characters who've had little to no handouts and that's cool with me~

Oh, and I guess I'll also mention that the critique of Sakura and her Sasuke obsession is really a universal problem. Sasuke is the character that is loved without any reason, even when he goes out of his way to hurt the people he cares about, or just flat out distance himself. Why do Ino, Karin, Naruto, and Sakura care about him? The three ladies have all cried over him. Naruto had been worse when it came to Sasuke--before the fake 'confession' Sakura wasn't giving much indication that she loved him romantically. The recent "I love you!" and the whole plot surrounding Naruto and Sasuke's cosmic brotherhood really just pushes the uncomfortable Sasuke situation. This wasn't always the case part 2--Sasuke was almost exclusively Naruto's obsession and Sakura's desperation to "Save Sasuke for you!" was a lot more understandable when Naruto was losing himself over it. 

So I feel like when it comes to Sakura's major Sasuke flaws it's due more to inconsistency? She loses herself whenever Sasuke needs to be an important element to the plot. There's no bigger excuse for having her act irrationally, becoming emotional, getting knocked out when she's proven herself far more competent (thinking the example with the Cloud Nin) than it being because she "loves" Sasuke. Heck, even Kakashi tries to justify it, meanwhile Sasuke LAMPSHADES how ridiculous it is. I almost found it like the author acknowledging that it's problematic, and then trying to have the Sage and Kakashi TRY to make it sound reasonable...but Sakura is still laying there unconscious with her last sensation being a CHIDORI RIPPED THROUGH THE HEART. Even if it was not true, that is Sasuke's 'response' to her confession...and we're still supposed to believe that anyone should be fighting to get him back?

Hinata in contrast is rather consistent, where I can't attribute her actions to necessity of plot so much as her character traits. The freedom of not being plot relevant is that she should have more leeway in what she can do in the few panels that she's in--she could just be seen off screen taking Kiba's hand, she could have her moments where she's displaying teamwork, or going along with the crowd, but Hinata is the side character fixated on Naruto...probably because that's what her character is meant to do--be a device for a love triangle, and this is where I feel Kishimoto really lets his characters down. A big portion of their badly written side is because they're involved in romance. Flaws are one thing, and they can help strengthen a character. Sakura making bad decisions and being unlikeable at times serves her own story and growth. When these flaws are taken to an extent that is unrealistic, then they are true subtractions of the character.

Hinata is more difficult to reconcile because she doesn't have much away from Naruto, and therefore her good points end up as exaggeration. I think why I and perhaps many do spend time talking about her...criticizing her, is because there are a disproportionate amount of fans who love her and make up a lot of major, good claims about her when really the text isn't there? Does this happen with Sakura? Yeah, but she has more evidence in the text to support her favourable sides and alternative readings. Hinata is more limited.

Character worship and character bashing are not the most productive ways to be a fan, especially the latter, but between the two girls who really merits more praise? 

Whoops I said I wouldn't but I ended up getting into this debate anyways XD 

#69 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

I think a lot of good arguments have been raised so I'm not really getting into the debate but just wanted to say that I think the reason why Sakura is my favourite is because she's NOT a goddess. Sasuke and Naruto are the ones descended from a goddess. Hinata is the one that has a Byakugan like the goddess. Meanwhile, there's Sakura on the side with the characters who've had little to no handouts and that's cool with me~

I presume it was meant as hyperbole or at least as general characterization of how the fandom behaves rather than a literal reading of her. I'm not even sure who my favorite character is anymore. Kakashi or maybe the Second because they have been characters willing to make the adult decisions even if they dislike them. Although Kakashi soon fell back in line. So many people in this story have avoided doing that. To Kishimoto's credit it bit the Third hard and this was acknowledged. I think the Third's refusal to kill Orochimaru was seen as a negative that back fired on him. To Kishimoto's detriment this it totally ignored with Naruto.

Oh, and I guess I'll also mention that the critique of Sakura and her Sasuke obsession is really a universal problem. Sasuke is the character that is loved without any reason, even when he goes out of his way to hurt the people he cares about, or just flat out distance himself. Why do Ino, Karin, Naruto, and Sakura care about him? The three ladies have all cried over him. Naruto had been worse when it came to Sasuke--before the fake 'confession' Sakura wasn't giving much indication that she loved him romantically. The recent "I love you!" and the whole plot surrounding Naruto and Sasuke's cosmic brotherhood really just pushes the uncomfortable Sasuke situation. This wasn't always the case part 2--Sasuke was almost exclusively Naruto's obsession and Sakura's desperation to "Save Sasuke for you!" was a lot more understandable when Naruto was losing himself over it.

I like Sakura more than Naruto and Sasuke at the moment, but 693, for me was similar to the Obito is cool moment with Naruto. It's not quiet as bad in that I don't think it demonstrated a morale failing as large as Naruto did at the moment. At the same time, I'm with you. I haven't any idea why she or anyone else likes him. Kishimoto has never done enough to justify why anyone likes him.

I think you can come up with reasons with Naruto because of what he has been through, his ideas, and empathizing with him. I can also understand Naruto being tight fisted with his relationships, regardless of whether it is rational or not. However, Naruto's desires seems far more rooted in his personal friendship and opinion rather than those abstract ideas. Given the message, I think it's that Kishimoto never did enough to show that Sasuke was at any point worthy of any of these feelings while compounding it with so many people behaving so irrationally. You can't point to the past and say when know that person is still there because (1) that person was often an a**hole too and (2) he shown way too much in terms of what he's willing to do to get what he wants. Those are a part of him as well and no one but Sasuke acknowledges this.

In Sakura's case, I just don't get it. After all the development she made from 181 to now, why does she revert to 181. As tricksie said, he slammed a reset button. It's not about moving to Naruto so much as it about her steadfast refusal to move away from Sasuke and then still use that failure of tactic to convince him to return. She calls it pathetic, so why use it? I don't find Naruto persuasive, but he is standing up to Sasuke. Why isn't she? Why is her plea so...I don't know...so meek? How is this so distinctly different than Hinata's deferential nature as it pertains to Naruto. Sakura has shown in others instances to not always be like that, but we never see Hinata in situations where we can even evaluate how Hinata would response if it were not Naruto.

Hinata in contrast is rather consistent, where I can't attribute her actions to necessity of plot so much as her character traits. The freedom of not being plot relevant is that she should have more leeway in what she can do in the few panels that she's in--she could just be seen off screen taking Kiba's hand, she could have her moments where she's displaying teamwork, or going along with the crowd, but Hinata is the side character fixated on Naruto...probably because that's what her character is meant to do--be a device for a love triangle, and this is where I feel Kishimoto really lets his characters down. A big portion of their badly written side is because they're involved in romance. Flaws are one thing, and they can help strengthen a character. Sakura making bad decisions and being unlikeable at times serves her own story and growth. When these flaws are taken to an extent that is unrealistic, then they are true subtractions of the character.

Hinata is more difficult to reconcile because she doesn't have much away from Naruto, and therefore her good points end up as exaggeration. I think why I and perhaps many do spend time talking about her...criticizing her, is because there are a disproportionate amount of fans who love her and make up a lot of major, good claims about her when really the text isn't there? Does this happen with Sakura? Yeah, but she has more evidence in the text to support her favourable sides and alternative readings. Hinata is more limited.

I think his failure with Hinata is that he never allowed her to leave Naruto's orbit. I agree with your criticism that you made a while ago and that there really is not evidence that she's this super-nice person. It's mostly an assumption that is made as an extension of her being shy. The two are frequently linked in entertainment so I understand the extension, but we really have no idea how she behaves around besides Naruto.

I think Kishimoto's refusal to let her leave Naruto's obit has done such a disservice to her character. As Hinata fans erroneous assume traits that have not been demonstrated, her detractors are quick to use her status as a satellite character to assume traits I don't think the author means to convey. I've said before, I cannot see him covertly stomping on her.

For me, she is a bore who does nothing interesting. It's not just that it's Naruto, it's that its Naruto as the ideal. She has no involvement with his struggles and problems in any meaningful way let alone one that demonstrates things either for her, Naruto, or the audience. She just...exists for the romantic subplot without ever doing anything to really move it all. She's just plain and boring. As much as I loathe 693, Sakura is interesting and, on occasion, does thing that help move the story. While horribly under utilized in this role, she at least has involvement in the core problems and has, at times, help characters and herself develop as people.

Still, I somewhat understand with lords complaint simply because I recall the users who would go after people, pontificating on who was a proper Sakura fan. It's arrogant and obnoxious. I also cannot forget people jumping down my throat when I didn't properly genuflect (deliberate hyperbole) before her character. I see what Hinata fans do, watch people here complain, and then watch them do the same damn thing. It doesn't help watching the excuse that it's Kishi's fault not Sakura's excuse trotted out for only her when that's true of almost everyone. Kishimoto is so dedicated to his basic themes and plot that almost everyone has suffered major injuries to their credibility because of the plot, but I don't see the distinction being offered for them. So my sympathy is spent.

I don't share lord's opinion of Sakura or Hinata, but the broader complain...I don't think he's completely off base.

#70 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

Congratulations.

You have, once again, failed to address anything I actually said. Oh, and to makes matters worse you assume that I would feel the same way about other Hinata criticisms that I do about the specific one I address. Without proof.

You could have done what KnS did and, you know, actually address the point rather than the non-responsive smart-ass remark you made. Too much to ask I suppose.

I wouldn't be so irritated if this were not an ongoing habit of yours.

What a bunch of nonsense.

And once again, your own smart-ass remarks makes you just as bad or worse because you constantly always think you are right. Way to do exactly the same thing as well to me and failed to address anything I have actually said. You accuse me of assuming one thing, but then here you assuming something of me.

You always think you are right, Nate, and every time someone says something to you you go off copping this attitude not really realizing that maybe I was actually agreeing with you, but also looking how some criticism is justified. You always want to look at one way and not the other. A non-responsive smart-ass remark? You mean like this response you just made right now and not even understanding the point of my post at all?

You always criticize me for this kind of stuff, but you just did the exact same thing you are accusing me of doing and you did even worse by insulting me.

So congratulations, you're a hypocrite. Ever think that maybe some of fights that happen between us is because you start them?

Edited by James S Cassidy, 22 October 2014 - 03:23 PM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#71 elmas

elmas

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,445 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:31 PM

Actually she could be a character I respect or like but her biggest mistake is an obstacle.

Anyways.

She is OBSESSED,WE get it she is in love  but it’s not a healthy love and there is a big difference between love and obsessed. Her love is obsession and it's not healthy to stalk or think about one character all the time, Sakura is not like that.She doesn’t think of Sasuke every time. 

And being in love with Naruto makes her selfish.And yeah she’s selfish.Her speech when going to the battlefield was totally selfish like her.All she cared about was NARUTO.
Did you see the tears she shed when her cousin died for her?And she just cared about manly hand of NARUTO.I said “You kitten!”.

She was totally a kitten when Shikamaru was almost dying too.

Anyways she’s selfish.

tumblr_nipy94W2uE1tjr97wo2_500.gif

#72 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

And once again, your own smart-ass remarks makes you just as bad or worse because you constantly always think you are right. Way to do exactly the same thing as well to me and failed to address anything I have actually said. You accuse me of assuming one thing, but then here you assuming something of me.

I'm not sure why you think I would address you point after that. You twist my words to make your response, and I've never seen that form of argument used except in two ways: as snark and mockery.

You always think you are right, Nate, and every time someone says something to you you go off copping this attitude not really realizing that maybe I was actually agreeing with you, but also looking how some criticism is justified. You always want to look at one way and not the other. A non-responsive smart-ass remark? You mean like this response you just made right now and not even understanding the point of my post at all?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Not sure who I am supposed to conclude you agree with response when you fail to say so, but instead use my own words against me in the response. As I said, people don't take that form of response to show agreement with the person they quote. They use it to mock it.

You've used it before when criticizing me in the past.

So, expectation is that I respond to your overall point when you fail to do so for me? If you aren't going to address what I said then I have no obligation to reciprocate.

You always criticize me for this kind of stuff, but you just did the exact same thing you are accusing me of doing and you did even worse by insulting me.

I wasn't even interested in you until you chose to do that.

So congratulations, you're a hypocrite. Ever think that maybe some of fights that happen between us is because you start them?

Not going to claim clean hands as general matter, but I didn't even care what you had to say one the topic at hand until you made that response.

As to the hypocrite comment. I'd obviously disagree, but I cannot say that I care.

EDIT: One other thing, you are clearly aware of our rather sour relationship. I don't care where you lay the blame because it doesn't central to what I am about to say:

Because of our clashes in the past and because of some specific response you have made to me, including trying to use my own words on me on previous occasions, when you do stuff like that as you did here, I do not assume any snarky tone to be innocous or unintentional. I read it as deliberate. I might have read it differently had context or further explanation been given, but you had none.

#73 natalieuciha

natalieuciha

Special Jounin

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:ugh
    i'll just gonna say that im gonna be forever anti SS/NH/SK

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

my answer to this thread: both girls are  flawed ,but hinata is far better person than sakura at this moment..whoever want to dissagree with me,you're waisting your time 

im a hinata fan,but i know she is prety much one dimensional and naruto centered,but she has qualities and aspects of her personality that i realy like

sakura is a fail on all levels for me..i was never a true fan of her  despite the fact that i wanted ns to become canon ,i didt hate her but i had hope for her until 693,...well..it seems..it didnt meannt to be..i cant express how dissapointed i was after reading that chapter

in my eyes everyone who bashes hinata while at the same time putting sakura on a goddess level without acknowledging her obvious failures are utter hypocrites,in denial and should check a doctor

Edited by natalieuciha, 22 October 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#74 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

I presume it was meant as hyperbole or at least as general characterization of how the fandom behaves rather than a literal reading of her. I'm not even sure who my favorite character is anymore. Kakashi or maybe the Second because they have been characters willing to make the adult decisions even if they dislike them. Although Kakashi soon fell back in line. So many people in this story have avoided doing that. To Kishimoto's credit it bit the Third hard and this was acknowledged. I think the Third's refusal to kill Orochimaru was seen as a negative that back fired on him. To Kishimoto's detriment this it totally ignored with Naruto.

I like Sakura more than Naruto and Sasuke at the moment, but 693, for me was similar to the Obito is cool moment with Naruto. It's not quiet as bad in that I don't think it demonstrated a morale failing as large as Naruto did at the moment. At the same time, I'm with you. I haven't any idea why she or anyone else likes him. Kishimoto has never done enough to justify why anyone likes him.

I think you can come up with reasons with Naruto because of what he has been through, his ideas, and empathizing with him. I can also understand Naruto being tight fisted with his relationships, regardless of whether it is rational or not. However, Naruto's desires seems far more rooted in his personal friendship and opinion rather than those abstract ideas. Given the message, I think it's that Kishimoto never did enough to show that Sasuke was at any point worthy of any of these feelings while compounding it with so many people behaving so irrationally. You can't point to the past and say when know that person is still there because (1) that person was often an a**hole too and (2) he shown way too much in terms of what he's willing to do to get what he wants. Those are a part of him as well and no one but Sasuke acknowledges this.

In Sakura's case, I just don't get it. After all the development she made from 181 to now, why does she revert to 181. As tricksie said, he slammed a reset button. It's not about moving to Naruto so much as it about her steadfast refusal to move away from Sasuke and then still use that failure of tactic to convince him to return. She calls it pathetic, so why use it? I don't find Naruto persuasive, but he is standing up to Sasuke. Why isn't she? Why is her plea so...I don't know...so meek? How is this so distinctly different than Hinata's deferential nature as it pertains to Naruto. Sakura has shown in others instances to not always be like that, but we never see Hinata in situations where we can even evaluate how Hinata would response if it were not Naruto.

I think his failure with Hinata is that he never allowed her to leave Naruto's orbit. I agree with your criticism that you made a while ago and that there really is not evidence that she's this super-nice person. It's mostly an assumption that is made as an extension of her being shy. The two are frequently linked in entertainment so I understand the extension, but we really have no idea how she behaves around besides Naruto.

I think Kishimoto's refusal to let her leave Naruto's obit has done such a disservice to her character. As Hinata fans erroneous assume traits that have not been demonstrated, her detractors are quick to use her status as a satellite character to assume traits I don't think the author means to convey. I've said before, I cannot see him covertly stomping on her.

For me, she is a bore who does nothing interesting. It's not just that it's Naruto, it's that its Naruto as the ideal. She has no involvement with his struggles and problems in any meaningful way let alone one that demonstrates things either for her, Naruto, or the audience. She just...exists for the romantic subplot without ever doing anything to really move it all. She's just plain and boring. As much as I loathe 693, Sakura is interesting and, on occasion, does thing that help move the story. While horribly under utilized in this role, she at least has involvement in the core problems and has, at times, help characters and herself develop as people.

Still, I somewhat understand with lords complaint simply because I recall the users who would go after people, pontificating on who was a proper Sakura fan. It's arrogant and obnoxious. I also cannot forget people jumping down my throat when I didn't properly genuflect (deliberate hyperbole) before her character. I see what Hinata fans do, watch people here complain, and then watch them do the same damn thing. It doesn't help watching the excuse that it's Kishi's fault not Sakura's excuse trotted out for only her when that's true of almost everyone. Kishimoto is so dedicated to his basic themes and plot that almost everyone has suffered major injuries to their credibility because of the plot, but I don't see the distinction being offered for them. So my sympathy is spent.

I don't share lord's opinion of Sakura or Hinata, but the broader complain...I don't think he's completely off base.

I didn't take the "Sakura is a goddess" thing too seriously, but I just found it amusing to link to THE Goddess of the universe, Kaguya, and how she has gotten nada from that hehe. I suppose to bring this back to the OP and not about the evaluation of these characters--and more about fans on the forum, then absolutely anyone who will shoot down well thought out critiques in order to defend their character without presenting their case on why their disagree--are probably resorting to blind character worship. I mentioned in my post that both character worship and bashing aren't productive, but I can see how light-heartedly loving Sakura isn't so bad and can help in these... less than stellar moments of her. It's when it's paired with bashing of other characters and opinions that it gets really out of hand and yes, I've noticed it too.

I do hold though that Sakura merits more praise than the other, if we're comparing them. I think the fandom at large can be especially hard on her and that kind of happens when you're the main heroine to a story and your author hasn't exactly done the best with you--but the problem with Hinata is the fact that the text does not give her m(any) positives. I don't disagree with giving her a self-absorbed trait, because she's always thinking of herself in relation to Naruto. There are moments where that can seem selfless, but we've seen the alternative of caring ABOUT Naruto is like--in Sakura. What is the basis of her character may be appealing to some (being devoted as a positive) but for me it is a subtraction, and the total sum is a minus. However! Much like how despite the major hiccups in Sakura's character sometimes as a fan I shrug and just go "oh well" and like her despite it, I understand Hinata fans may like her despite what I consider to be evidence to support their claims; liking the idea of her than what's on paper. I like Sakura for what she's been--which for me is interesting--and I can justify why she's weak in some areas (SASUKE NEEDS TO BE LOOOOOOVED!!!!!) so I suppose whatever makes us happy.

my answer to this thread: both girls are  flawed ,but hinata is far better person than sakura at this moment..whoever want to dissagree with me,you're waisting your time 

im a hinata fan,but i know she is prety much one dimensional and naruto centered,but she has qualities and aspects of her personality that i realy like

sakura is a fail on all levels for me..i was never a true fan of her  despite the fact that i wanted ns to become canon ,i didt hate her but i had hope for her until 693,...well..it seems..it didnt meannt to be..i cant express how dissapointed i was after reading that chapter

in my eyes everyone who bashes hinata while at the same time putting sakura on a goddess level without acknowledging her obvious failures are utter hypocrites,in denial and should check a doctor

I assume you want people to check a doctor because you think they're delusional, buuuut I'm pretty sure you hold some delusions yourself in regards to Hinata. A far better person? At the moment she's stuck in a dream where everything is fine and dandy and Sakura is dealing with reality. Also, what qualities and aspects are these? Genuinely curious, because as I was arguing text doesn't having much that gives her qualities beyond shy girl in love with Naruto working on her confidence issues. Is it how she's so supportive of her team--wait, no. Is it how she's so nice--nope, never did anything for anyone outside of Naruto. Is it how she's self-sacrificing? Only if it's Naruto~ I think you like the idea of her as much as Sakura fans do. They both have obvious failures, so don't tell someone that refuting your point is a "waste of time" unless you mean you won't even bother to listen... Regardless, that last part was quite rude.

Edited by Broken Figurine, 22 October 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#75 BlackBird19

BlackBird19

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:USMC,
    baseball,
    football,
    hockey,
    Music(all kinds),
    and manga.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:08 PM

I guess the reason I personally prefer Sakura's character over Hinata's is that Sakura is much more believable and relatable to me. Her character is much more complex than Hinata and for good reason of course, she's the heroine. Sakura's personality is more believable and attainable due to the fact that her flaws have been fully on display throughout this manga. However we're also shown she tends to try to change those flaws or rectify and learn from her mistakes. Not always successfully but she does try. The other reason I like Sakura is because of 693. I saw that chapter differently from most simply due to the fact that I'm not very emotionally invested into the story, I simply read it for pure entertainment. What I saw in that chapter was Sakura finally coming to terms with the fact that her romantic feelings for Sasuke really did only matter to her. That's why she felt so pathetic and asked one last time that if she ever meant anything to him, for him to stop. It takes a lot to face up to a flaw like that which is something that Hinata's character has yet to be written for her.

Edited by BlackBird19, 22 October 2014 - 09:09 PM.

#76 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:04 AM

I assume you want people to check a doctor because you think they're delusional, buuuut I'm pretty sure you hold some delusions yourself in regards to Hinata. A far better person? At the moment she's stuck in a dream where everything is fine and dandy and Sakura is dealing with reality. Also, what qualities and aspects are these? Genuinely curious, because as I was arguing text doesn't having much that gives her qualities beyond shy girl in love with Naruto working on her confidence issues. Is it how she's so supportive of her team--wait, no. Is it how she's so nice--nope, never did anything for anyone outside of Naruto. Is it how she's self-sacrificing? Only if it's Naruto~ I think you like the idea of her as much as Sakura fans do. They both have obvious failures, so don't tell someone that refuting your point is a "waste of time" unless you mean you won't even bother to listen... Regardless, that last part was quite rude.

I took her up on her advice. The doctor said: What are thinking?! Everyone knowns TenTen is the best.

I told him, Yeah, I wasn't sure what I was thinking before.

#77 BlazingDynamo

BlazingDynamo

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku playing video games watching Pokemon XY talking to other NS fans

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:41 AM

Nate and James can both of you not argue on here please we're all a NS family and we need to respect each other.

#78 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

Eh. I don't like her. But I'm not going to bash her either. Just stating my reason why I came to this conclusion. 

Part 1 Hinata was cool. But really, Part II changed everything, including my view on her. I realized that she didn't really mature- at all. Like. At. All. Every panel that's shown of her she's thinking of Naruto and not of herself, which leads me to believe that she's never truly learned to love herself since her fight with Neji in Part I.  

She has a "selfish" type of love with Naruto. But Sakura also has a "selfish" type of love towards Sasuke. And in that regard, I don't think Sakura is fully mature either. 

But the reason I chose Sakura as my goddess is because she's not perfect. She's the most normal main character in the series. I can relate to her more than Hinata because Hinata's portrayed as too "perfect" for me, even though I feel that she hasn't really done....anything to be honest. Sakura, on the other hand, had to prove that she was just as powerful as everyone in Team 7. And guess what. She did.  

I just have a problem with characters who only exist for romantic subplot. I tend to not like them. Which is why I didn't like Sakura in Part I. Also, Hinata's fanboys/fangirls made me dislike her even more. But I love spunky characters like Sakura and Ino, and even Karin. They're my bias.

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

#79 BlazingDynamo

BlazingDynamo

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku playing video games watching Pokemon XY talking to other NS fans

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:14 PM

Eh. I don't like her. But I'm not going to bash her either. Just stating my reason why I came to this conclusion. 

Part 1 Hinata was cool. But really, Part II changed everything, including my view on her. I realized that she didn't really mature- at all. Like. At. All. Every panel that's shown of her she's thinking of Naruto and not of herself, which leads me to believe that she's never truly learned to love herself since her fight with Neji in Part I.  

She has a "selfish" type of love with Naruto. But Sakura also has a "selfish" type of love towards Sasuke. And in that regard, I don't think Sakura is fully mature either. 

But the reason I chose Sakura as my goddess is because she's not perfect. She's the most normal main character in the series. I can relate to her more than Hinata because Hinata's portrayed as too "perfect" for me, even though I feel that she hasn't really done....anything to be honest. Sakura, on the other hand, had to prove that she was just as powerful as everyone in Team 7. And guess what. She did.  

I just have a problem with characters who only exist for romantic subplot. I tend to not like them. Which is why I didn't like Sakura in Part I. Also, Hinata's fanboys/fangirls made me dislike her even more. But I love spunky characters like Sakura and Ino, and even Karin. They're my bias.

Haven't seen you on here in a while

#80 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

Haven't seen you on here in a while

I took a two week break from the internet to practice watercoloring. And watch Korean dramas.  

But now I'm back. Sort of.

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users