Close
Photo

Will Sakura come to her senses before the manga is over?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
68 replies to this topic

#41 lord287

lord287

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:33 AM

The pairing wars wont stop until a pair actually becomes canon, SS has been dead officially since 675 and SS is still confident as hell.

But If once kishi himself says it clearly then their is no need to worry, because the only problem in NS is Sakura's feelings.

Similarly if kishi would have ever said that Naruto has fallen in love with Hinata or Sasuke loves Sakura in any interview I/many would have considered that pairing canon.

REST IN PEACE

15 YEARS OF DEVELOPMENTS

#42 MangaReader

MangaReader

I'm the Greatest Ever!!

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Drawing
    Animating
    Watching TV

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

I think it's actually more enlightening to hear all the BS logic as to why NaruSaku would send a bad message... because then you learn how bad people are at writing stories and learn just why you think none of what they say makes sense. Through failure comes knowledge and man oh man are those thoughts pretty bad.  

sad_naruto_sig_by_mangafreak17-d81c8fy.p

Even if I'm not the one to make you happy

#43 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

I have to say I really don't care for the title of this thread, "Will Sakura come to her senses". Hypothetically speaking if Sakura did choose Sasuke in the end, (though technically the choice is Kishimoto's) that wouldn't make her stupid or not in her right mind, as the title of this thread implies. Lots of girls and women choose bad guys over nice guys because they either only see what they want to see -- which in this case would be wanting to see the best in a 'bad' guy -- or they mistakenly believe they can change the bad and bring out the good. It happens very often, unfortunately, but it's not a reflection of intelligence.

Sakura knows Sasuke isn't a good guy, but as some others have pointed out, that won't much matter when all is said and done because Sasuke will be good by the end of the manga, though I don't imagine his personality will undergo much change. What Sakura is building to is realizing that Sasuke is not good for her. He's not the person she needs, or deep down, really wants. But, if she fails to come to that realization, the fault for that would be on Kishimoto for not following through with what he set up, not Sakura.

I just kept wondering on how Sakura is having Sasuke issues I mean the only reason why she loves Sasuke is because of his looks. But sooner or later Sakura might have to think about choosing a boy who saved her life throughout the whole story or a boy who has good looks but doesn't care about her more than a friend. What do you guys think?

Where has it ever been stated or even implied that Sakura loves Sasuke solely based on his looks? That makes her sound so unbelievably shallow, if the feelings she had for Sasuke hung on as long as they did simply because he was a pretty face. I'm not at all for SasuSaku, but I see no point in denying or downplaying that Sakura loved Sasuke. It was a childish love, but still love.

And the bolded, it really sounds no better than the idea that Naruto is obligated to love Hinata because she saved his life. Love is not obligation. The basis for Sakura choosing Naruto over Sasuke should not be "because he save her life", it should be because she built a relationship with him, one that's deeper than anything she could have with Sasuke.

Just my opinion. :ermm:

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 13 August 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#44 BlazingDynamo

BlazingDynamo

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku playing video games watching Pokemon XY talking to other NS fans

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

I have to say I really don't care for the title of this thread, "Will Sakura come to her senses". Hypothetically speaking if Sakura did choose Sasuke in the end, (though technically the choice is Kishimoto's) that wouldn't make her stupid or not in her right mind, as the title of this thread implies. Lots of girls and women choose bad guys over nice guys because they either only see what they want to see -- which in this case would be wanting to see the best in a 'bad' guy -- or they mistakenly believe they can change the bad and bring out the good. It happens very often, unfortunately, but it's not a reflection of intelligence.

Sakura knows Sasuke isn't a good guy, but as some others have pointed out, that won't much matter when all is said and done because Sasuke will be good by the end of the manga, though I don't imagine his personality will undergo much change. What Sakura is building to is realizing that Sasuke is not good for her. He's not the person she needs, or deep down, really wants. But, if she fails to come to that realization, the fault for that would be on Kishimoto for not following through with what he set up, not Sakura.

Where has it ever been stated or even implied that Sakura loves Sasuke solely based on his looks? That makes her sound so unbelievably shallow, if the feelings she had for Sasuke hung on as long as they did simply because he was a pretty face. I'm not at all for SasuSaku, but I see no point in denying or downplaying that Sakura loved Sasuke. It was a childish love, but still love.

And the bolded, it really sounds no better than the idea that Naruto is obligated to love Hinata because she saved his life. Love is not obligation. The basis for Sakura choosing Naruto over Sasuke should not be "because he save her life", it should be because she built a relationship with him, one that's deeper than anything she could have with Sasuke.

I was gonna say in part 1 at the ninja academy she liked him because of his looks.

#45 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:13 AM

This rubs me wrong because Naruto is constantly criticized for his devotion. That its not romantic in nature is immaterial for this purpose. Naruto has been called all sorts of things and this fandom has routinely wondered why, oh why, does Naruto keep following this guy, without question, with all that he's done. Naruto's sanity, intelligence, judgment, and so on have all been questioned. Repeatedly.

So why is Sakura, who has been right along with him for the ride, beyond reproach on this issue?

For me, it's not about whether she choose Naruto or not. Her alternative choice to Sasuke, should she even make one (she's obviously under no obligation to choose anyone), isn't a concern for me. I would only agree with your point to the extent that "coming to her sense" means she must choose Naruto. There is no such obligation. However, you treat the decision to choose Sasuke at all as something we shouldn't question.

How I would read it would depend on the circumstances in which happened, but as of now she has already witnessed his brutality and saw Karin's half-dead body. She knows about the attempts on her life and that he nearly killed Naruto at the end of Part 1. That it took her until now to see that he doesn't care? I can't think of a good way to spin that. Perhaps this is a result of the author's complete refusal to allow the audience clear insight into her thoughts on this because that admission is hard to square with 540, which gives the impression she knew then, but then speaks the current line as if it only dawned on her now.

But I will say she is at least ahead of Naruto, who hasn't even made it that far and she at least had doubts when Sasuke went after Bee. She quickly feel back into the fold, but that's more than I can say for Naruto.

Naruto's judgment is poor. If I were random ninja #569870 I'd be seriously concerned about Naruto's judgment and priorities if became Hokage. But Sakura's only a step better because she's been right along there with him, and for the most part in agreement.

If Naruto's intelligence and judgment can be called into question for this (and it has) then so can hers.

There is no character I dislike discussing more than Sakura. I agree that she gets a ton of undeserved grief from detractors, but it's not much better to watch her supporters treat her as character nirvana and as she who must not be questioned.

I agree with the latter. If she gets together with Sasuke it won't be this version. Sasuke will be worthy of such affection by series end so worrying about her falling for this model is pointless. He'll be the new Sasuke 6 by then.

It was a Part 1 flashback. Was that anime only?

The Sakura at the beginning was shallow and immature. She was supposed to be. That shallowness is part of what she grew out of as she developed as a character.

To say she loves his just for that at this point (assume for the sake of argument that she does) is unfair (and incorrect) because it ignores a ton of subsequent development. Her initial reason was supposed to be shallow, it was portrayed that way early on. She was hung up over someone she didn't know and didn't care about her. She gave up her friendship with Ino for that. I don't think that was meant to be a positive.

This, in part, is what she was to grow out over as she grew older. And she did. I think it's clear by 181 that whatever she feels goes beyond he's cool and good looking.

#46 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:19 AM

But If once kishi himself says it clearly then their is no need to worry, because the only problem in NS is Sakura's feelings.

Similarly if kishi would have ever said that Naruto has fallen in love with Hinata or Sasuke loves Sakura in any interview I/many would have considered that pairing canon.

That's the consensus, problem is the interview isn't well known to all.

Plus NH and SS fans would be ina  denial state like they were when 504 or 631 came out.

Kishi's intention was for the confession to be a huge step forward for NS because it was honest (hell maybe we were supposed to take the confession meaning as Naruto and Sakura are boyfriend and girlfriend now)  but he made 469 super confusing so laot of people assumed she was lying and considered it a step backward for NS.

Doesn't really matter. NS are technically boyfriend and girlfriend anyway, they went on two dates in the manga (3 if you count the movie) and Sakura has done things that were clearly romantic in nature like asking Naruto about her figure or offering to feed him, and telling him that he "better not be doing this on his free time" (referring to the harem jutsu) something she shouldn't be concerned about if she wasn't interested in him. 

eh10ut.jpg

#47 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

The Sakura at the beginning was shallow and immature. She was supposed to be. That shallowness is part of what she grew out of as she developed as a character.

I don't think it was in the anime only.

I agree that in the beginning Sakura was quite shallow in her reasons for liking Sasuke.  Her motivation was to feel better about herself, but that's no excuse.  She was interested in him solely because of his looks and so-called coolness.  

She was completely clueless about Sasuke's real feelings, and had no comprehension of his private sufferings.  It wasn't until she realized he was a real guy with issues that she began to care about him with anything resembling genuine caring.

#48 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:41 AM

This rubs me wrong because Naruto is constantly criticized for his devotion. That its not romantic in nature is immaterial for this purpose. Naruto has been called all sorts of things and this fandom has routinely wondered why, oh why, does Naruto keep following this guy, without question, with all that he's done. Naruto's sanity, intelligence, judgment, and so on have all been questioned. Repeatedly.

So why is Sakura, who has been right along with him for the ride, beyond reproach on this issue?

For me, it's not about whether she choose Naruto or not. Her alternative choice to Sasuke, should she even make one (she's obviously under no obligation to choose anyone), isn't a concern for me. I would only agree with your point to the extent that "coming to her sense" means she must choose Naruto. There is no such obligation. However, you treat the decision to choose Sasuke at all as something we shouldn't question.

How I would read it would depend on the circumstances in which happened, but as of now she has already witnessed his brutality and saw Karin's half-dead body. She knows about the attempts on her life and that he nearly killed Naruto at the end of Part 1. That it took her until now to see that he doesn't care? I can't think of a good way to spin that. Perhaps this is a result of the author's complete refusal to allow the audience clear insight into her thoughts on this because that admission is hard to square with 540, which gives the impression she knew then, but then speaks the current line as if it only dawned on her now.

But I will say she is at least ahead of Naruto, who hasn't even made it that far and she at least had doubts when Sasuke went after Bee. She quickly feel back into the fold, but that's more than I can say for Naruto.

Naruto's judgment is poor. If I were random ninja #569870 I'd be seriously concerned about Naruto's judgment and priorities if became Hokage. But Sakura's only a step better because she's been right along there with him, and for the most part in agreement.

If Naruto's intelligence and judgment can be called into question for this (and it has) then so can hers.

There is no character I dislike discussing more than Sakura. I agree that she gets a ton of undeserved grief from detractors, but it's not much better to watch her supporters treat her as character nirvana and as she who must not be questioned.

I am like, ridiculously tired right now, but hopefully I can do an okay job explaining myself. You make good points and I won't pretend that Sakura's devotion to Sasuke makes any more sense than Naruto's, nor does the way her issues and confusion regarding Sasuke have been dragged out come across particularly realistic.

I do love Sakura so I will admit there's likely some bias on my part, but it was not my intention to make Sakura out to be totally above reproach. It was more that I was put off by the implication that "this girl is stupid if she picks this guy instead of that guy", like a female's value and intelligence is defined by who she chooses as a partner. That was more what I was meaning to address.

#49 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:42 AM

I really don't like the title of this thread. It's as if to say that Sakura is not in her right mind if she were not to choose Naruto. Last I check, Sakura is not obligated to choose anyone.

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

#50 xxRomanceGirlxx

xxRomanceGirlxx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Debating, Anime/Manga (Naruto, Inuyasha, DBZ, Hetalia etc.), TV shows, Shipping
    Dislikes: Bashing, Double standards, Hypocrisy, NaruHina, SasuSaku, SasuKarin
    OTPs: NaruSaku (Naruto), Bangel (BtVS), InuKag (Inuyasha), LeafpoolxCrowfeather (Warriors), Percabeth (PJS), Kataang (AtLA)

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:47 AM

@Pepsi:

I wouldn't consider Naruto and Sakura practically dating. I wouldn't consider them "just friends", but saying they're pretty much together is definitely pushing it. It's more like they're at in-between stage. Think of it like your relationship status being "it's complicated" on Facebook. That's basically NaruSaku. They still have too many issues revolving around Sasuke and a whole bunch of other things. It can easily be solved though in the next arc (unless it's at the end of this one?).

There are no definites yet. All we got out of Sakura's feelings were third parties. Also, assuming Naruto is aware Sakura might have feelings for him with the way the confession was left  ... can you really say that? :confused: Naruto acted a little bit different than usual in 631, but that's not enough to outweigh how he was during the confession. I need more proof. For me, Naruto doesn't think Sakura likes him and loves Sasuke. I'm comfortable with that until indicated otherwise in serious context.

One date agreement from Sakura that got interrupted is not considered "dating". Flirting with Naruto and being attracted to him does not equal seeing him as her boyfriend. Naruto calling Sakura his girlfriend and seeing her agree to a date does not mean he thinks she loves/likes him (Note: Naruto is notoriously dense about women). Sakura scolding him for doing Harem jutsu doesn't mean she's interested 'cause one can argue Sakura's just naturally inclined to correct people (which has basis tbh).

I'm the type of person that considers all possibilities so I don't make those claims as definites that NS is canon. I see them as hints and really do believe she loves Naruto just like you, but I don't make bold statements on those examples because it's more interpretation than canon fact.

Edited by xxRomanceGirlxx, 14 August 2014 - 03:48 AM.

"I absolutely can't let you die! I can't! I won't let you die ... your stupid dream ... now it's ... it's right in front of us!!"                                                                             ----Sakura Haruno                                                                              

#51 BlazingDynamo

BlazingDynamo

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku playing video games watching Pokemon XY talking to other NS fans

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:49 AM

I don't think it was in the anime only.

I agree that in the beginning Sakura was quite shallow in her reasons for liking Sasuke.  Her motivation was to feel better about herself, but that's no excuse.  She was interested in him solely because of his looks and so-called coolness.  

She was completely clueless about Sasuke's real feelings, and had no comprehension of his private sufferings.  It wasn't until she realized he was a real guy with issues that she began to care about him with anything resembling genuine caring.

Exactly I was right you better pay me my money! Lmao

I agree with the latter. If she gets together with Sasuke it won't be this version. Sasuke will be worthy of such affection by series end so worrying about her falling for this model is pointless. He'll be the new Sasuke 6 by then.

To say she loves his just for that at this point (assume for the sake of argument that she does) is unfair (and incorrect) because it ignores a ton of subsequent development. Her initial reason was supposed to be shallow, it was portrayed that way early on. She was hung up over someone she didn't know and didn't care about her. She gave up her friendship with Ino for that. I don't think that was meant to be a positive.

This, in part, is what she was to grow out over as she grew older. And she did. I think it's clear by 181 that whatever she feels goes beyond he's cool and good looking.

Are you confused by the question I asked?

#52 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

Exactly I was right you better pay me my money! Lmao

Are you confused by the question I asked?

No and I don't believe my response was directed at you.

#53 Change

Change

somebody who never wins

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • Interests:Peace
    Curl up, take a nap, and never wake up

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:21 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Sasuke will actually not be good by the end of the series

Not evil, but indifferent

He could also become power hungry... 

Edited by TheMagicConch, 14 August 2014 - 05:21 AM.

Posted Image

#54 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:31 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Sasuke will actually not be good by the end of the series
Not evil, but indifferent
He could also become power hungry... 

Sasuke will become good in the end. At least he will not become like madara.

#55 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

@Pepsi:

I wouldn't consider Naruto and Sakura practically dating. I wouldn't consider them "just friends", but saying they're pretty much together is definitely pushing it. It's more like they're at in-between stage. Think of it like your relationship status being "it's complicated" on Facebook. That's basically NaruSaku. They still have too many issues revolving around Sasuke and a whole bunch of other things. It can easily be solved though in the next arc (unless it's at the end of this one?).

There are no definites yet. All we got out of Sakura's feelings were third parties. Also, assuming Naruto is aware Sakura might have feelings for him with the way the confession was left  ... can you really say that? :confused: Naruto acted a little bit different than usual in 631, but that's not enough to outweigh how he was during the confession. I need more proof. For me, Naruto doesn't think Sakura likes him and loves Sasuke. I'm comfortable with that until indicated otherwise in serious context.

One date agreement from Sakura that got interrupted is not considered "dating". Flirting with Naruto and being attracted to him does not equal seeing him as her boyfriend. Naruto calling Sakura his girlfriend and seeing her agree to a date does not mean he thinks she loves/likes him (Note: Naruto is notoriously dense about women). Sakura scolding him for doing Harem jutsu doesn't mean she's interested 'cause one can argue Sakura's just naturally inclined to correct people (which has basis tbh).

I'm the type of person that considers all possibilities so I don't make those claims as definites that NS is canon. I see them as hints and really do believe she loves Naruto just like you, but I don't make bold statements on those examples because it's more interpretation than canon fact.

They aren't "practically dating" they have dated enough more than once.

Word of God says that the confession she gave Naruto was honest so he should be aware of her feelings for him. 

Edited by Pepsi, 14 August 2014 - 05:35 AM.

eh10ut.jpg

#56 咲耶姫

咲耶姫

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:44 AM

They aren't "practically dating" they have dated enough more than once.

Word of God says that the confession she gave Naruto was honest so he should be aware of her feelings for him. 

You really shouldn't hold so tightly on that interview. After all he also said "Naruto is close, but as expected Sasuke is the object of her love." 

Edited by 咲耶姫, 14 August 2014 - 05:46 AM.

tumblr_nfrs3f8pa31qjba4uo2_400.gif

#57 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

You really shouldn't hold so tightly on that interview. After all he also said "Naruto is close, but as expected Sasuke is the object of her love." 

To my understanding from asking around from the senior members here, that was actually an incorrect translation. I talked to Derock a month ago about it and he said the correct translation was "Sakura love(s?/d?) Sasuke.... but Naruto is close..."

I would ask Chie Nakamura over FB but she hardly ever comes on and her chat is always turned off so speaking with her is kind of difficult which is understandable since she's pretty famous from her VA work as Sakura. 

According to the sensors on my account she hasn't yet read the last/only message I sent her. 

Edited by Pepsi, 14 August 2014 - 06:00 AM.

eh10ut.jpg

#58 Change

Change

somebody who never wins

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • Interests:Peace
    Curl up, take a nap, and never wake up

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:17 AM

Sasuke will become good in the end. At least he will not become like madara.

See but we don't know that
Do we honestly know what his true intentions are

Posted Image

#59 xxRomanceGirlxx

xxRomanceGirlxx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Debating, Anime/Manga (Naruto, Inuyasha, DBZ, Hetalia etc.), TV shows, Shipping
    Dislikes: Bashing, Double standards, Hypocrisy, NaruHina, SasuSaku, SasuKarin
    OTPs: NaruSaku (Naruto), Bangel (BtVS), InuKag (Inuyasha), LeafpoolxCrowfeather (Warriors), Percabeth (PJS), Kataang (AtLA)

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:25 AM

@Pepsi:

There's a difference between "dating" and "date". You can go on a date with someone and not be in a relationship. It's just a meeting with romantic connotations, but nothing serious. "Dating" means in a relationship. Look at Naruto for example. He's asked on her dates, but never really asked her out. Saying "Let's go out!" is like saying "Be my girlfriend!". Naruto's never done that so all the dates he asked were likely brushed off as completely casual by Sakura. Why? Because that's how Naruto made it look.

Like I said, they've never been on a real date. The first in Part 1 it was just to talk about Sasuke and the second  was interrupted by Shikamaru and Temari while Naruto had no money to take her. They've never dated in any way. The closest was the second example and that was cut off like so many other NS moments.

I'm not saying Sakura and Naruto don't have feelings for each other, but you still need to be technical on these things. Nothing was confirmed for sure about NS's status that isn't under interpretation. An interview is just an interview and unreliable. They can always be misinterpreted and twisted with bias. Use the manga to formulate your opinions, not interviews.

But let's say it is accurate. Even if it is, there is no "Word of God" that is actually concrete. Kishi said she was being "honest" yet in that same interview he said she loves Sasuke, but Naruto was close. They contradict each other. It's ambiguous, not "NS is canon". 'Cause it isn't. No ship is canon right now.

I just think you should rely on the manga, not outside sources. Just my opinion.

Edited by xxRomanceGirlxx, 14 August 2014 - 06:28 AM.

"I absolutely can't let you die! I can't! I won't let you die ... your stupid dream ... now it's ... it's right in front of us!!"                                                                             ----Sakura Haruno                                                                              

#60 Hanabi

Hanabi

絶対大丈夫だよ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:cardcaptor sakura!

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:41 AM

some ss fans slut shame sakura at the thought of ns

some ns fans says sakura lost her mind at the thought of ss 

2UFqbUS.gif

I can't even say good bye to you for the last time