Swine Flu

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#41 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

First confirmed US death:

It was a little kid sleep.gif

#42 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:01 PM

Well... I felt sorry for the kid but as the virus get to a baby, it's like a 5% chance he/she survive because their immune system hasn't developed yet.

And guess what... it has hit NJ, in Newark out of all places, MY hometown... 5 cases... sleep.gif Those people better stay their butts home so the virus doesn't spread.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#43 Destiny

Destiny

Queen of the hard hitters!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

Oh media, let's put everyone in a frenzy for something we have no control over. The only thing we can do at this point is go to the doctor's office when we get sick and hope they hand us some helpful tips(likealways). I believe it's a virus right? oops throw the antibiotics out.

Mortality is mostly a factor in those who are immunosupressed or don't have a well developed immune system IE the very young and the very old. So if your grandparents or parents get ill make them go to the doctor.

Love is everything.

#44 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Apr 29 2009, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First confirmed US death:

It was a little kid sleep.gif

I've heard that the US death is actually someone from Mexico who came into the country seeking treatment. The WHO is also now saying that the 150 or so reported dead in Mexico isn't correct and that the number is actually 7.

WHO Report

#45 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

The way that I see it, the media will *always* make a big deal out of everything, including whether it *is* a big deal or not. People making *constant* comments about the media attention certainly isn't going to change it, so I ask that those who keep on commenting about the media please stop doing it in this thread. We get it. You've made your point...several times. This thread is just to keep us all informed on the latest developments of this flu. There isn't anyone panicking in this thread, so people please stop leaving posts telling people to quit panicking and paying attention to the media.

~~~

BERLIN – The World Health Organization warned Wednesday that the swine flu outbreak is moving closer to becoming a pandemic, as the United States reported the first swine flu death outside of Mexico, and Germany and Austria became latest European nations hit by the disease.

In Geneva, WHO flu chief Dr. Keiji Fukuda told reporters that there was no evidence the virus was slowing down, moving the agency closer to raising its pandemic alert to phase 5, indicating widespread human-to-human transmission.

But he said the health body not yet ready to move the pandemic alert level up from its current level of 4, which means the virus is being passed among people. Phase 6 — the highest in the scale — is for a full-scale pandemic.

As fear and uncertainty about the disease ricocheted around the globe, nations took all sorts of precautions, some more useful than others.

Britain closed a school after a 12-year-old girl was found to have the disease. Egypt slaughtered all its pigs and the central African nation of Gabon became the latest nation to ban pork imports, despite assurances that swine flu was not related to eating pork.

Cuba eased its flight ban, deciding just to block flights coming in from Mexico. And Asian nations greeted returning airport travelers with teams of medical workers and carts of disinfectants, eager to keep swine flu from infecting their continent.

In Mexico City, the epicenter of the epidemic, the mayor said Wednesday the outbreak seemed to be stabilizing and he was considering easing the citywide shutdown that closed schools, restaurants, concert halls and sports arenas.

#46 Angel

Angel

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Music, Books, Video Games, Magic the Gathering, eating healthy and exercising.

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:22 PM

Well for you guys who don't know how serious its being taken in Mexico, As of 3 days ago all public places (Schools, the stadium ect...) were closed in order to stop it from spreading. Also the border last I head was closed off so no entry into Mexico, that might be just a rumor though. My family left for the ocean side though in hopes that a more humid climate will be better for them.

#47 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Angel @ Apr 29 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well for you guys who don't know how serious its being taken in Mexico, As of 3 days ago all public places (Schools, the stadium ect...) were closed in order to stop it from spreading. Also the border last I head was closed off so no entry into Mexico, that might be just a rumor though. My family left for the ocean side though in hopes that a more humid climate will be better for them.

I hope that your family stays safe, Angel. And you also since you're in California, where there are confirmed cases *hugs* a_hug.gif

#48 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Angel @ Apr 29 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it isn't closed off just yet if it is then we should protest because their blown it out of peroration

#49 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:18 AM

The state of Texas has put a temporary ban on athletic and academic events for the school children until May 11.

#50 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:55 AM

^
My mother a school teacher for the state of Texas, she has said that they have not put a temporary ban on School actives.

#51 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:24 AM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Apr 29 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^
My mother a school teacher for the state of Texas, she has said that they have not put a temporary ban on School actives.

Yes, there is a ban on athletics.

http://www.gosanange...chool-athletic/

It's called keeping in touch with the news.

Edit:

Not exactly a ban, just a postponing. And it's coming from Texas officials, so maybe your mom hasn't gotten the news yet.

Edited by Cloud, 30 April 2009 - 01:26 AM.

#52 Tahaji

Tahaji

MoneyPenny

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:40 AM

I think its the speed of its growth, not how many are dying, that has the organizations up in arms.

The regular flu kills over 36000 people a year, so Im pretty sure this is no 'Black Plague'

tahajiXcloud (MY AZN)

#53 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Apr 29 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, there is a ban on athletics.

http://www.gosanange...chool-athletic/

It's called keeping in touch with the news.

Edit:

Not exactly a ban, just a postponing. And it's coming from Texas officials, so maybe your mom hasn't gotten the news yet.

Thanks for the info

#54 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

There's been a confirmed case just a few miles away from where I live in the UK.

Bugger.

The authorities have acted quickly to contain it, even closing the school involved for 11 days, so hopefully it won't spread.

#55 Yoko

Yoko

Summoning Master

• ANBU
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 03:56 PM

Today I took off work to go to a career fair at my school. Buuut, then this whole THING happened. D: I got all dressed up and girly for no reason at all. D8 This Swine flu thing is INSANE. Gawd, and to think there's ten possible cases here.. D:

#56 Tahaji

Tahaji

MoneyPenny

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

Possible 17 cases in South Carolina, not far from me, Still not too concerned, just ganna take some immunity boosting vitamins, and having the tamiflu armed and ready.

tahajiXcloud (MY AZN)

#57 Angel

Angel

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Music, Books, Video Games, Magic the Gathering, eating healthy and exercising.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Yoko @ Apr 30 2009, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today I took off work to go to a career fair at my school. Buuut, then this whole THING happened. D: I got all dressed up and girly for no reason at all. D8 This Swine flu thing is INSANE. Gawd, and to think there's ten possible cases here.. D:

aww poor Yoko, you can always put up a picture of you dressing girly here XD

My mother also decided to at least take some action, she takes care of children for the government and shes been keeping the parents aware giving them a list of symptoms, and if that they show any that the kids should not be brought to the daycare for two weeks

#58 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

My 13 year old cousin is headed up to Washington for a school trip today, which means he's going to be passing through major airports, and going on group day trips around Washington. His parents and school couldn't really cancel, since it was $1000 for each child, and all tickets and hotel fees had already been paid. So, his mother gave him some face masks, and she's ordering some tamiflu since she's a pharmacist, and I warned him that if he brings back the Swine Flu with him, then I'm going to give him a Street Fighter-style uppercut a_plotting.gif

Edit - And at least other than in Mexico, all other swine flu cases appear to be mild, and so far not fatal.

#59 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:06 PM

The reason why the Mexican Swine Flu seems so much more dangerous than elsewhere is because the public health workers down there have incorrectly labled the cause of death as the swine flu. While most of the victims were infected, that's not what ultimately killed them; the flu simply left them vulnerable to another disease and that is what killed them most likely. From what I understand, many of the victims didn't go to see the doctor when they needed to.

And it's finally come to the Bay Area. Eh. Overall, still not too worried.

My 13 year old cousin is headed up to Washington for a school trip today, which means he's going to be passing through major airports, and going on group day trips around Washington. His parents and school couldn't really cancel, since it was $1000 for each child, and all tickets and hotel fees had already been paid. So, his mother gave him some face masks, and she's ordering some tamiflu since she's a pharmacist, and I warned him that if he brings back the Swine Flu with him, then I'm going to give him a Street Fighter-style uppercut a_plotting.gif

(Imagines Shauna with her already questionable health trying that with Swine Flu... err.gif) I think a simple shotgun would put less strain on you.

#60 Ashley

Ashley

JUST KEEP MOVING FORWARD

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Otakus, Video games, It's a Trap!, Colorguard, Cartoons, Epic Fail Guy, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Ouendan, Vocaloid, drawing, Gainax, shojo, shounen, Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, pairings, anime figures(Otaku desires?), movies, Tegaki, South Park, Hikaru Utada, etc.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

Today at school, my friend wore a mask so she won't get the Swine flu virus. And unfortunately for me, one of the students in our school apparently got the virus. I'm not in any panic or anything. The Swine Flu is nothing to make a big deal of unless it starts to spread everywhere in California. But I'm taking precaution by washing my hands everyday just in case.
I am still pinky-ash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users