103 replies to this topic

#21 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:30 AM

I've read that the cases in the U.S are less fatal since people are more likely to seek medical treatment early than in Mexico. While this disease has disastrous potential it seems like CDC and other group efforts will be able to contain it.

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#22 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:31 AM

Less than 5% of the cases result in death. I was just watching a Canadian news report... apparently, no vaccine has been developed?

#23 Radon

Radon

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Apr 26 2009, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Less than 5% of the cases result in death. I was just watching a Canadian news report... apparently, no vaccine has been developed?

Vaccine's for each new year are based off last years Vaccine, because the flu is just a mutation of what we have already dealt with. We also have a built up immunity from the human flu too.

That's why Swine flu is so deadly, it's a strain we never get, and because of that we have no immunity and no Vaccine prepared. Even if we use the vaccine from the last outbreak it will need to be updated from last time to fit this strain of the virus.

We have 4 confirmed cases here in Canada just announced today, but 2 are from a more minor strain. I will bet we might see a case or two in Europe and Asian before the week is out. As there are no travel bans in effect.
"Fact: The fandom makes characters look hotter and act hornier than they actually are..."

#24 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:07 AM

Whats awesome about this particular strain is that it is a hybrid thats hitting not just mammals but birds too. Phew. And the West Nile is kinda like the regular flu now, it pretty bad but really hits the real young and real old. This new one is mainly hitting regular healthy people. Mah, this pandemic was only a matter of time, the world is too well connected for this not to happen.

#25 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 27 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

Concern that the world could be on the brink of the first influenza pandemic in more than 40 years escalated Sunday as France, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Spain reported potential new cases in which people had been infected with swine flu and Canada confirmed several new cases. In the U.S., where 20 such infections have been confirmed, federal health officials declared a public-health emergency and are preparing to distribute to state and local agenciesa quarter of the country's 50 million-dose stockpile of antiviral drugs. Meanwhile, in hard-hit Mexico, where more than 80 people have died from what is believed to be swine flu, the government closed all public schools and canceled hundreds of public events in Mexico City.

Though the World Health Organization (WHO) is referring to the situation as a "public-health emergency of international concern," the apparent emergence in several countries of an entirely new strain of H1N1 flu virus has led some scientists to believe that it is only a matter of time before the WHO declares pandemic status, a move that could prompt travel bans to infected countries. "We are clearly seeing wide spread," says Michael Osterholm, a pandemic risk expert who runs the University of Minnesota's Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy. "There is no question."

#26 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Flag Football, Anime, Indoor Wall Climbing, Hiking, Running

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

I would not panic either. On a side note, the over use of anti bacterial and perscription drugs is leading to stronger/more resistant strains of diseases. The CDC has been very concerned about a super bug. It's one of the reasons why I'm not big on getting perscription drugs from doctors unless there is a definite need for them. Otherwise, I just suck it up for a few days. But that's just me. I'm also lucky since I don't get sick often. ::knock on wood::

#27 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (zman170 @ Apr 24 2009, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow that sucks... we got Wars, glabal warming, and economy problems and now we have to deal with a possible pandemic of a Hybrid Swine Flu? We sure are unlucky this millenia...

The black Plague ring any bells seriously and the west Nile

#28 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:34 PM

WASHINGTON – Confirming 40 cases of swine flu in the U.S., the Obama administration said Monday it was responding aggressively as if the outbreak would spread into a full pandemic. Officials urged Americans against most travel to Mexico as the virus that began there spread to the United States and beyond.

President Barack Obama urged calm, saying there was reason for concern but not yet "a cause for alarm."

But administration officials said they were already waging a vigorous campaign of prevention, unsure of the outbreak's severity or where it would show up next.

"We want to make sure that we have people where they need to be, equipment where it needs to be and, most of all, information shared at all levels," Janet Napolitano, head of the Homeland Security Department, told reporters.

The World Health Organization "now has us at a level 3" out of six levels of intensity, with six being a full pandemic, she said.

"Even if they raise the level today, our preparations are as if they had already been raised. We are proceeding as if we are preparing to a full pandemic," she said.

She said travel warnings for trips to Mexico would remain in place as long as swine flu is detected.

#29 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

My dad is the emergence management team for the Humble area and he says that we need to be really careful and wash hands at least 10 times a day and limit outside actives such as hiking and stuff. He also said that it can hit everyone not just the young and healthy but the old and sick as well. It just we need to be careful and that we should at least drink a lot of vitamin C. You better go to the doctor if you have aceness in your bones , Fever, and regular flu systems.

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 27 April 2009 - 08:59 PM.

#30 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

I can't wait for this to hit Europe. I'll probably soil my pants as I make this stupid and sarcastic doodle.

Hey, face life with a smile , right kids?

#31 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Yakatsu @ Apr 27 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't wait for this to hit Europe. I'll probably soil my pants as I make this stupid and sarcastic doodle.

Hey, face life with a smile , right kids?

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt..

I wonder when ABC will make a movie about it like they did with the Avian flu?

#32 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Apr 27 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The black Plague ring any bells seriously and the west Nile

Black Plague was from the 13th century.

West Nile wasn't exactly a global pandemic like it is now. This is a strain of influenza which we've never encountered. Don't know why those two have to do with his comment.

Swine Flu is on global alert now, with cases everywhere. Travel bans should be in place soon, methinks, or at least limited.

Wait, wait, wait.

Obama Administration said there's no need for alarm? We're breaking out all over the world here! D:<

Edited by Cloud, 27 April 2009 - 11:43 PM.

#33 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:17 AM

A little reality check is needed here until way more people get sick and or die all you are doing is spreading panic it is almost as bad as the SARS thing some years ago where panic was caused even though you had one in a million chance of dying from it.

ALL flu comes from Pigs that is how it is vectored Waterfowl > Pigs > Humans to think this in any different is just wrong serious maybe but pandemic NOT YET

Also to compare this with the Black Death where whole villages were wiped out is just silly

Edited by Verilance, 28 April 2009 - 12:19 AM.

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#34 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE (Verilance @ Apr 27 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A little reality check is needed here until way more people get sick and or die all you are doing is spreading panic it is almost as bad as the SARS thing some years ago where panic was caused even though you had one in a million chance of dying from it.

How is keeping informed spreading panic? huh.gif

It's better to remain informed of what's going on, than to close your eyes and assume that there isn't really anything to be concerned about.

I choose to remain informed, and keep those I know informed with me.

#35 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

It depends on the information given,

when people start talking about global catastrophes they need to really think about what they are saying it does no one any good to fly of the handle.

IF it starts to spread at an incredible rate then maybe I would be worried but for now just doing what I normally do to avoid any flu ie frequent washing of my hands is enough precaution in my book

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#36 Valor Grim

Valor Grim

Hero

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Anime. Soccer (playing, not watching). Writing. Japanese.

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:01 AM

At this point, I would like to offer a little advice. *music starts* "Don't worry... Be Happy!"
Just keep clean, drink lots of OJ, get a lot of sleep, and don't worry about it. Do what you can do, but don't worry about stuff outside your control.
I know this might sound a tad religious, but "It's in God's hands now. I can't think of a better place for it."

#37 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:20 AM

Bah. This is all hype. While there is reason to be concerned, the media does this all the time with diseases. I remember everyone panicking over Avian Flu and SARS; only a few deaths, and that was mostly because those who did die lived under less-than sanitary conditions. All US cases have recovered thus far to my knowledge; some scientists are beginning to think that the deaths in Mexico were caused by another disease PLUS the swine flu. If you want to actually be informed about the flu, turn to NPR or PBS; it's probably not as bad as CNN is suggesting. Besides, who in the world wants to wear a mask all day? I can barely stand to wear those for 15 minutes.

Besides, I actually think I may have came down with this 3 weeks ago; I woke up violently ill and had to eject from both ends, if you know what I mean, as soon as I got to the bathroom (twice, in fact). I also had a slight headache and fever, and I'll tell you, the ride sure isn't pretty, but you should pull through in a couple of days.

This editorial I read sums up how the media tends to treat outbreaks:

There is evidence there will be a major flu epidemic this coming fall. The indication is that we will see a return of the 1918 flu virus that is the most virulent form of the flu. In 1918 a half million Americans died. The projections are that this virus will kill one million Americans in 1976.

-- F. David Matthews, secretary of health, education, and welfare (Feb., 1976)

In January 1976, 19-year old U.S. Army Private David Lewis, stationed at Fort Dix, joined his platoon on a 50-mile hike through the New Jersey snow. Lewis didn't have to go; he was suffering from flu and had been confined to his quarters by his unit's medical officer. Thirteen miles into the hike, Lewis collapsed and died a short time later of pneumonia caused by influenza. Because Lewis was young, generally healthy and should not have succumbed to the common flu, his death set off a cascade of uncertainty that confused the scientists, panicked the government and eventually embittered a public made distrustful of authority by Vietnam and Watergate.

This past Sunday, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano left open the possibility of a mass immunization program for the current outbreak of swine flu. If that happens, the Obama administration has a lot to learn from the debacle set in motion by Private Lewis' ill-fated hike.

Lewis was a victim of swine flu, a form of influenza endemic to pig populations. Influenza is caused by a virus, a microorganism that is mostly dead and partially alive. The virus' genetic code, held inside a protein sheath, consists of several helices of RNA. The virus injects its RNA into a healthy cell, which causes the cell to stop its usual work and make more copies of the virus. RNA genes mutate easily; for this reason, each new flu season brings a slightly different form of the disease into the population. Most year-to-year mutations bring little change to the virus, but for some still unknown reason, influenza seems to undergo a significant genetic change every ten years or so.

This major mutation results in a radically new strain of flu, one that races through a population because few people are immune to it. The dangerous influenza epidemics of 1938, 1947, 1957 (60,000 dead in the U.S.) and 1968 (the dreaded Hong Kong flu) fit this pattern. It was believed that swine flu, a particularly deadly form of the virus, had a 60-year mutation cycle that brought on worldwide pandemics, killing millions of people. Both the 10- and 60-year cycles were due to converge in the mid 1970s; Lewis' death in 1976 was thought to be the first instance of a new, incredibly lethal type of flu.

Doctors from the Centers for Disease Control tested Private Lewis' blood, and determined that his immune system had developed antibodies to a strain of flu similar to the Spanish influenza of 1918. That particular strain of swine flu produced the worst human pandemic of the 20th century: 1 billion sick in every country of the world, at least 22 million dead in the space of a few months. If Lewis had been exposed to something like the 1918 flu virus, the world could be in for an extensive and lethal outbreak. CDC doctors, charged with protecting the U.S. from epidemics, began to worry.

By the end of January, 155 soldiers at Fort Dix reported positive for swine flu antibodies. None of the soldiers' families or co-workers, however, had been exposed to the virus; all of the reported swine flu cases had been limited to the soldiers in Private Lewis' camp. The virus wasn't spreading. For some reason this information did not mollify the doctors, and on Feb. 14, 1976, the CDC issued a notice to all U.S. hospitals to be on the lookout for any cases of swine flu.

By March, the normal end of flu season, worldwide cases of all types of flu had diminished, and not one case of swine flu had been reported outside of Fort Dix. For some reason this news did not placate the doctors either, and on March 13, 1976, the director of the CDC asked Congress for money to develop and test enough swine flu vaccine to immunize at least 80 percent of the population of the United States, believed to be the minimum needed to avoid an epidemic.

1976 was the year of the U.S. Bicentennial. 1976 was a presidential election year. 1976 was two years after Watergate caused Nixon's resignation, and one year after the fall of Saigon. The U.S. government, both Republicans and Democrats, had never been held in such low esteem. Practically every elected official felt an overwhelming itch that patriotic year to do something to get the public thinking of them as good guys again. A swine flu pandemic was an opportunity on a plate. What better way to get into the good graces of the voters than to save them from a plague?

Between March 13 and March 24, the U.S. government dealt with the perceived flu emergency at fever pitch. The vaccine request went from the CDC to the secretary of HEW (Department of Health, Education and Welfare, the forerunner of today's Department of Health and Human Services), and reached the president's desk in less than a week. On March 24, the day after he lost the North Carolina primary to Ronald Reagan, President Gerald Ford welcomed the top virologists in the nation to a meeting in the White House and asked them if the nation was facing a swine flu epidemic. Would mass vaccinations be necessary? The doctors all said yes.

After the meeting, President Ford held a press conference with Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin, developers of the polio vaccine. The president heralded the impending flu plague and asked Congress for $135 million to investigate the development of a swine flu vaccine, with the goal of vaccinating the citizenry. This was probably the first time that most of the nation had heard of swine flu.

Congress, with few exceptions, raced to support the bill. Knowing the Republican president would not, could not veto a bill he requested, the Democratically controlled House attached $1.8 billion dollars in welfare and environmental spending to the flu bill. President Ford signed the bill on April 15, 1976, and incorrectly remarked to the press that the Fort Dix swine flu was identical to the deadly 1918 variety. He announced the immunization program would begin in October.

The scientists began to come to their senses. By July, they were pretty much agreed that a flu pandemic in 1976 would not lead to 1 million U.S. dead. The flu strain extracted from Private Lewis, they learned, was much less virulent that the 1918 strain, and modern medicine could handle an outbreak far better than the World War I doctors could. The World Health Organization ordered hospitals to keep a global lookout for swine flu, but it did not request mass immunization of the population.

But the U.S. government was unstoppable. Congress began to pressure the drug companies to work faster toward development of a swine flu vaccine. The drug companies insisted that proper vaccine development required years of experimentation and clinical trials, and they were reluctant to develop and distribute an untested drug. The drug companies suggested that they could work faster if they were given immunity from lawsuits in the event something went wrong with the vaccine. Congress refused. The issue of legal liability remained at an impasse until Aug. 2, 1976.

On that day, two members of the American Legion died of a strange respiratory disease they acquired at the Legion's convention in Philadelphia. Congress collectively freaked. Panicky news reports out of Philadelphia hinted that the deaths were the beginning of the Great Swine Flu Epidemic of 1976. On Aug. 3, Congress agreed to completely indemnify the drug companies against any and all lawsuits they might incur as a result of the distribution of swine flu vaccine. The drug companies got to work.

On the same day, the CDC Disease Etiology Team sprang into action, and it had never performed better. On Aug. 5, the head of the CDC was able to testify before Congress and announce conclusively that the Legionnaires had died of a new disease, a type of pneumonia that was definitely not swine flu. When Congress was informed that the dreaded epidemic had not started, they canceled their indemnification agreement with the drug companies. The drug companies announced that they would immediately cease development of swine flu vaccines. They also began to hint that even if they were to be re-indemnified, they now wanted Congress to guarantee them reasonable profits from the development of the vaccines.

President Ford went on television that night and delivered a speech to the nation, telling Americans that Congress will be to blame for your deaths when the flu season begins in October. Congress caved in, and on Aug. 15, President Ford signed the National Influenza Immunization Program (NIIP). This set as a goal the immunization of at least 80 percent of the U.S. population, indemnified the drug companies and left vague the government's power to limit the drug companies' profit. The drug companies got to work.

By September, the swine flu scaffolding came crashing down. Pollsters reported that while 93 percent of the population had heard of swine flu and knew it could cause a million U.S. deaths, only 52 percent planned to get immunized. The press was claiming that Congress had not done a good job of educating the public. Congress members blamed the failure on the CDC. The CDC was busy looking into the deaths of the Legionnaires; while they were able to say that the Legionnaires had not died of swine flu, they were unable to pin down what exactly what had killed the men. The American Legion thought the whole thing was a Communist plot. Congressman John Murphy of Staten Island claimed the CDC was stalling on identifying the Legionnaire's disease to panic people into fearing swine flu. Murphy demanded an investigation into the CDC and the indemnification deal made with the drug companies. The heroic miracle that was supposed to overhaul the government's image was rendered futile before it had started.

On Oct. 1, 1976, the immunization program began. By Oct. 11, approximately 40 million people had received swine flu immunizations, mostly through the new compressed air vaccination guns. That evening, in Pittsburgh, came the first blow to the immunization program: Three senior citizens died soon after receiving their swine flu shots. The media outcry, linking the deaths to the immunizations without any proof, was so loud it drew an on-air rebuke from CBS news anchor Walter Cronkite, who warned his colleagues of the dangers of post hoc ergo propter hoc ("after this, therefore, because of this") thinking. But it was too late. The government had long feared mass panic about swine flu -- now they feared mass panic about the swine flu vaccinations.

The deaths in Pittsburgh, though proved not to be related to the vaccine, were a strong setback to the program. The death blow came a few weeks later when reports appeared of Guillain-Barré syndrome, a paralyzing neuromuscular disorder, among some people who had received swine flu immunizations. The public refused to trust a government-operated health program that killed old people and crippled young people; as a result, less than 33 percent of the population had been immunized by the end of 1976. The National Influenza Immunization Program was effectively halted on Dec. 16.

Gerald Ford's attempt to gain credit for keeping America safe was busted. He lost the presidential election to Jimmy Carter that November. The 1976 to 1977 flu season was the most flu-free since records had been kept; a condition that was apparently unrelated to the vaccination program. The Great Swine Flu Epidemic of 1976 never took place.

#38 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

NEW YORK – At least seven people were in U.S. hospitals with swine flu Tuesday as the number of cases nationwide rose to 64 and a federal health official warned that deaths were likely.

Most of the nation's confirmed cases were in New York, where the city health commissioner said "many hundreds" of schoolchildren were ill at a school where several students had confirmed cases of swine flu.

Richard Besser, acting director of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, noted that although ordinary human flu accounts for 36,000 deaths every year, he was concerned by this strain.

"I fully expect we will see deaths from this infection," Besser said at an Atlanta news conference.

He said he did not know about a newspaper report of two deaths in two southern California hospitals in which the victims appeared to have suffered from swine flu symptoms.

New York has the largest number of swine flu cases, with a heavy concentration at a Catholic school in Queens where students recently went on a spring break trip to Mexico.

There were indications that the outbreak may have spread beyond the school, with two people having to be hospitalized and officials closing a school for autistic children down the road. Those cases have not been confirmed.

"It is here and it is spreading," New York City Health Commissioner Thomas Frieden said. "We do not know whether it will continue to spread."

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that 82 of 380 students at P.S. 177, a school for autistic children, have called in sick. A third school in Manhattan is being evaluated because students there are sick, Frieden said.

The CDC said the country has 64 confirmed cases across five states, with 45 in New York, one in Ohio, two in Kansas, six in Texas and 10 in California. At least four other cases have been reported by states.

At least five other people have been hospitalized in the U.S., including three in California and two in Texas, Besser said.

#39 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

Oh, it'll continue...

Damn. Targets the young and healthy, so I'd better shape up.

facepalm.png

#40 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:19 AM

Oh great, this swine flu has found its way to Australia as well. I heard it on the radio this morning; about 40 people were quarantined at the airport, and on another channel they were talking about how 10 people are suspected to have the flu in my state.

I think the flu is spreading through people who travel; they go to infected places, catch the flu, then go home and bring it back with them. Might as well keep clean, I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users