30 replies to this topic

#1 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Yep it saddens me greatly to be the one to bring the bad news to all FF fans on this forum that the "supposedly" upcoming game XIII Versus (that has been 6 long years in the making) has been canceled square has confirm this.

Here's the link to the tragic news:

http://www.ign.com/a...-xiii-cancelled
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#2 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

That sounds unfortunate, especially after all the years of work that went into it, but if they're going to give the series a rest the series I'm actually glad. On the other hand, the cutscene looked amazing.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#3 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ Jul 20 2012, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sounds unfortunate, especially after all the years of work that went into it, but if they're going to give the series a rest the series I'm actually glad. On the other hand, the cutscene looked amazing.

What really angers me is that they chose to cancel this game which has so much potential and it could have easily become one of the best FF games of all times after VII, so they can work on XIII-3. Honestly I don't care about XIII-3 I wanted to play this game badly because from the trailers it looked like an upgraded version of the KH battle system. What a let down square has turned out to be, now they will have to swallow their pride and face the MILLIONS of angry fan letters worldwide for making this horrible decision.

Edited by Gravenimage, 20 July 2012 - 09:32 PM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#4 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

They definitely should've let this one play out since they had already spent so much money making it. But that's from an artistic standpoint not financial. Do you know if they broke even with the latest final fantasy sales? They must've been in the red for them to pull the plug... but it doesn't sound completely confirmed. Maybe there's still hope.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#5 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ Jul 20 2012, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They definitely should've let this one play out since they had already spent so much money making it. But that's from an artistic standpoint not financial. Do you know if they broke even with the latest final fantasy sales? They must've been in the red for them to pull the plug... but it doesn't sound completely confirmed. Maybe there's still hope.

We can only hope but I have the feeling that square won't let the game fade away for good. Like I said they will have to answer to millions of angry fan mail demanding to reconsider their decision. Remember we're the fans we're the ones that buy their games and make the company as famous as it is today, we have the power it's not the other way around.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#6 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Jul 20 2012, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We can only hope but I have the feeling that square won't let the game fade away for good. Like I said they will have to answer to millions of angry fan mail demanding to reconsider their decision. Remember we're the fans we're the ones that buy their games and make the company as famous as it is today, we have the power it's not the other way around.

We'll have to see if they're as fearful as Bioware was. I doubt it. My fear is more that they feel: You may be many in voice but if you haven't pull us out of the red in the last few attempts we're okay if you decide to not stick with us. We can get more. Plus the millions and millions of fans have been clamoring for a new console remake of FFVII and that's never come to fruition has it? Even though it would make them a gajillion dollars. Their ways of thinking are a mystery. So we'll have to wait and see for the official announcement.

Sorry, I'm debbie-downer today... yikes. Anyway. I do hope this sees the light of day. It gives me hope for a new generation of FF.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#7 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Interests:Whatever comes to mind

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:38 AM

from reading the article I would not be surprised if it just becomes Final Fantasy XV but time will tell

hate to tell you but a remake of FFVII would not be possible sad.gif the game would just be too frickin huge and complicated, the choice would be a stripped down game with modern graphics or just an update of the oldschool graphics neither would be what fans clamour for

Edited by Verilance, 21 July 2012 - 12:41 AM.

Yotsubato! - Enjoy Everything!

#8 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

Mind you, its still a rumor at this point. But I honestly would not be surprised if it was canned. Either way, a quiet death or a public announcement of this, SE's stock prices will plummet a bit.

And Verilance, a remake of VII IS very possible, it's just SE can't see the big picture. The way I see it, the budget for XIII and XIII-2 was probably in the ten's of millions. Which would easily make a VII remake. They would be able to cash in on more memorabilia (potion drinks, figurines, books). An anniversary remake of VII would net them a least a hundred million in sales of the game and other stuff alone.

But nooooooo.... All the crappy XIII sequels they've planned, if they had dedicated the resources to Versus XIII, it would be done by now. (Or even dedicated a team to doing a remake of VII, and they can't give that "Not enough manpower" excuse. Because they had at least 100 people working on sequelitis XIII)

Edit: The press are saying they won't come out and say it's been cancelled, but like I said.. even a quiet death like this (even if its reported, their shareholders are going to feel the burn). A public announcement would be even worse for shareholders.

But let's hope its not, but hey.. 6 years in development and one minor gameplay trailer, half CGI BS, half screenshots and a small slice of Nomura's lies on status (I really WOULD not be surprised if it was indeed gone) Then there's the fact that it probably got folded into FF XV (like last month's rumors)

Now there's a fear that KH3 will never get made because SE loves making KH spin-offs... or KH3 will go into development for 10 years and turn into vaporware.

Congrats, SE. You've beaten Duke Nukem for the vaporware title.

Edited by Cloud, 21 July 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#9 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

personally I would rather see FF6 redone anyway as it is a vastly superior game

I guess we disagree though but what personally would you expect in a FFVII remake? same gameplay with better graphics? or retooled gameplay and a more modern style?

@Cloud KH3 will be done as the secret ending of KH dream drop distance points to it

Edited by Verilance, 21 July 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#10 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (Verilance @ Jul 20 2012, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
from reading the article I would not be surprised if it just becomes Final Fantasy XV but time will tell

hate to tell you but a remake of FFVII would not be possible sad.gif the game would just be too frickin huge and complicated, the choice would be a stripped down game with modern graphics or just an update of the oldschool graphics neither would be what fans clamour for

What do you mean by not possible? Size? The discs the original game played on were tiny compared to the size available today. Lost Odyssey was on 4 xbox 360 discs. I'm expecting updated animation/cutscenes and a similar game system. Also which fans do you mean? FFVII fans or strictly FF fans? I'm pretty confident that fans of FFVII would shell over the money for even just updated animation/graphics/cutscenes.

QUOTE (Verilance @ Jul 20 2012, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
personally I would rather see FF6 redone anyway as it is a vastly superior game

I guess we disagree though but what personally would you expect in a FFVII remake? same gameplay with better graphics? or retooled gameplay and a more modern style?

Same question can be asked of FF6.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#11 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE (Verilance @ Jul 20 2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Cloud KH3 will be done as the secret ending of KH dream drop distance points to it

Not will be done. SE will put it as "can" be done. And then it'll likely turn into vaporware.

#12 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

I dunno what the problem people have with the KH games anyway my son just finished Birth by Sleep and he loved it course he played critical mode or whatever so it was also a challenge for him

compared to some of the japanese series I have been hearing about KH is surprisingly straight forward biggrin.gif

I wouldn't mind a simple 3D version of FF6 I am afraid though when you hear about FFVII remakes people want all the bells and whistles and it just would really be a drain on resources for Squeenix

#13 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:12 AM

I really hope this is just a rumour! ... But my hopes are down since Square Enix haven't simply dismissed the claims immediately. I was very interested in the characters and setting - Noctis and Stella gave off more character depth than I've seen in other FF trailers (and I was rooting for some sort of star crossed lovers thing XD)

If it's not a rumour, I hope that the game material doesn't completely fade away, and that they carry on some characters and elements on to future projects. They're spending a lot of time on FFXIII, making sequels. I'm way out of the gaming industry loop but from a simplist point of view, I would only work on one project at a time. Ideas, brainstorming and sampling are fine, but I wouldn't announce a game six years in advance, slowly pick it at while I release sequels for another game, and then let abandoning news spring in after so long :/

#14 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

Quite honestly, I'm not surprised. It's been a long time, and the good ship Final Fantasy has hit rough waters since then.

FFXIII and its sequel have had mixed reviews, and I've seen FFXIII-2 sold at a discount very quickly in UK shops. FFXIV has also had a very bad launch online, and they've basically had to go back and redo pretty much the whole game for its relaunch next year. These are hard times for Final Fantasy indeed.

Of course, FFXIII Versus could end up having gameplay elements, characters, settings, and/or story reused for a future Final Fantasy game. Maybe Square needs to steady the ship first, before they launch any major new Final Fantasy games. It's a pity that they seem to have decided to go ahead with FFXIII-3, a game that should not be necessary. They had the chance to completely tie up the story with FFXIII and FFXIII-2, after all.

One thing's for sure. Square-Enix has a lot of work to do if they want to win the fans back. They need the relaunch of FFXIV to be a success, and they need to take their sweet time with Final Fantasy XV and make it a masterpiece. They need to go back and look at what made all the classic Final Fantasy games such a success, and update that formula for 2014+.

Because, if they don't, Final Fantasy will be finished as a major franchise.

#15 Verilance

Verilance

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

and if DragonQuest X does get poor reception in Japan for being an MMORPG they might be in even poorer shape sad.gif

as much as I am not a nintendo fanboy I might even get a Wii U if DragonQuest X does come to North America I want it to do well but I am very unsure if it will

Edited by Verilance, 21 July 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#16 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

HOLD UP, WAIT A MINUTE, LEMME PUT SOME TWITTER IN IT

From Yoichi Wada the president and representative director of Square

"It seems someone is spreading a false rumor about Versus being canceled. Heh, just a few moments ago a regularly scheduled meeting for Versus ended. If you were to see the city etc. presented today, you'd wouldn't be able to stand from surprise, lol."

\

#17 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

It's not cancelled....Not yet anyway. Sources....reliable sources speak otherwise.

http://kotaku.com/59...asy-versus-xiii

Edited by James S Cassidy, 24 July 2012 - 07:13 PM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#18 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

It makes me wonder, though. It's been six years since they started the project, and they haven't shown any new footage for at least a year and a half. The last we saw of it was a couple of comparison screenshots back in October 2011:

http://kotaku.com/58...anged/gallery/1

It makes sense if Square-Enix have been pulling teams off of Versus and putting them to work on FFXIII and its sequel, but you'd think that they'd be more forthcoming with videos for such an eagerly anticipated game.

Still, maybe the latest Twitter is a hint that we'll see something soon. Preferably before the end of this year. tongue.gif

#19 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

Okay now I confused is it canceled or it still under development after 6 years? Looks like someone wants to troll the fanbase probably a Versus crazy fan spreading the false rumor. Still I wouldn't be too sure does it really takes 6 freaking years to make a video game??? It must be one hell of a game for square to take so long in making.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#20 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Jul 24 2012, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay now I confused is it canceled or it still under development after 6 years? Looks like someone wants to troll the fanbase probably a Versus crazy fan spreading the false rumor. Still I wouldn't be too sure does it really takes 6 freaking years to make a video game??? It must be one hell of a game for square to take so long in making.

It's always been a rumor that it was supposedly canceled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users