#1 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

http://www.sfgate.co...?entry_id=65297

facepalm.png srsly...teaching kids Mandarin makes kids communists? So China is basically subsidizing American education...and the lamest excuse ppl come out with is that it will turn kids into Communist, when China is closer and closer to becoming the world's largest free market economy.

Edited by Strangelove, 08 June 2010 - 11:30 PM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#2 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:09 AM

Just like learning German makes you a Nazi and learning French makes you an a**hole.

The Daily Show's got the right idea.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#3 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jun 8 2010, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

facepalm.png srsly...teaching kids Mandarin makes kids communists? So China is basically subsidizing American education...and the lamest excuse ppl come out with is that it will turn kids into Communist, when China is closer and closer to becoming the world's largest free market economy.

What China is trying to do is have it both ways. The wants the economic growth of Capitalism while maintaining the political control of communism. It's still a autocracy. Communism isn't just an economic system.

#4 Pite

Pite

I'm a cat with glasses and a piece of chalk in my hand!

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Too long to write about.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:03 AM

Please. Every one knows that learning German (Language of Karl Marx) and Russian (Lenin and Stalin) makes you a commie. Learning Chinese will only lead to wanting to shave your head and wearing a orange robe while practicing Kung Fu...

China is very far from being a free market economy, not to mention the biggest one. For the first proposition, they would need to create and enforce strong intellectual property laws to protect entrepreneurs, a strong consumer protection to prevent lead based toys or other cost cutting concoctions and a anti trust policy to prevent monopolies from emerging. Secondly they would need to more than triple their current output to match the undisputed no.1. The US.

Edited by Pite, 09 June 2010 - 01:06 AM.

The meaning of life is to find your own meaning of life.

#5 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:04 AM

What's wrong with Kung Fu?

#6 Pite

Pite

I'm a cat with glasses and a piece of chalk in my hand!

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Too long to write about.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:09 AM

It corrupts the very basic idea of the American way of fighting. Look at our national pastimes: football, wrestling and boxing. None of them involve thin, acrobatic and strong men using refined strength to beat each other. We need BIG, burly men slamming against each other continuously till one can't use more steroids!
The meaning of life is to find your own meaning of life.

#7 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE (Pite @ Jun 8 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It corrupts the very basic idea of the American way of fighting. Look at our national pastimes: football, wrestling and boxing. None of them involve thin, acrobatic and strong men using refined strength to beat each other. We need BIG, burly men slamming against each other continuously till one can't use more steroids!

Isn't that what MMA is for?

#8 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jun 8 2010, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't that what MMA is for?

ZING!

#9 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:59 AM

Actually, I quite like the idea of learning Mandarin. At my school (high school) there's a new course, starting next year, that's called Intro to Mandarin. I guess that if people like the language and want to learn it and China's culture, go ahead and let them.

Edited by Cupcake-chan, 09 June 2010 - 02:00 AM.

#10 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:14 AM

It gets really confusing. I start learning it in the fall, but just learning what happens using the word Ma, yikes.

Edited by Insurrection, 09 June 2010 - 03:39 AM.

#11 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:42 AM

GASP! I have a friend who's learning Mandarin and a... Cantonese friend learning Mandarin! Also, the first friend is Korean! THEY MUST BE COMMUNIST! Seriously.... We're in the 21st century, not in the 50s, 60s, and 70s..... I've always thought this anti-Communist hatred was pointless, but what do I know? I'm just a teenager....

And I can't watch the video in the daily show website for some reason....

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 09 June 2010 - 02:42 AM.

#12 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:21 AM

Learning Japanese makes me a weeaboo and a sex god that has sex, like, everday with big-busted women that are my age but look twice it.

Amirite?

#13 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (Pite @ Jun 8 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And what's wrong with getting ripped?

As for teaching cultural language in school, i don't see a problem in school since Spanish and French was offered at my High School. I've always wanted to learn Chinese and Japanese myself.

#14 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE (KonaKonaFan @ Jun 8 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Daily Show's got the right idea.

That segment was hilarious.

ABBA and parachute pants! laugh.gif Poor Aasif.

#15 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:55 AM

laugh.gif Reminds me of the hue and cry back in the mid-late 80's about Japanese language courses- in colleges and universities. (back when I took my two years of Japanese at my local university) It was "OMG WWII, Pearl Harbor, etc...!!!" I just rolled my eyes and ignored all that whinging by WWII era adults and older people. (Strange how those same people weren't making a hue and cry about kids learning German- in high school even. No shouts about how that would turn kids into Nazis, etc... And yes I am implying there was some racism behind the non reaction to high school German language courses, college German and Italian language courses, but freaking out about college Japanese language courses.)
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#16 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE (Pite @ Jun 8 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wrong. Except maybe for wrestling, the olympic kind with a mat, not the WEE..

In modern american football, speed is pretty much the name of the game. There are 6'5, over 200 pound players who can run the 40 incredibly fast. They are also built too. The right cardio and strength and conditioning has lead to it. They can even outrun some of the smaller running back players at times.

And with Boxing, its called the sweet science for a reason. Only the heavyweight division can even be considered about pure muscle mass. And even then you have Ali who had perfect footwork. The most popular boxers right now are Manny Pacqiuao and Floyd Mayweather who win their fights with mostly speed and some power. Mayweather does it with his super natural dodging and counter punching skills because his reflexes and hand speed is rarely matched by his opponents and Manny with a great combo of power and speed that does damage in flurries that could drop boxers way taller than him. And both of them are 5'8 and 5'6 respectively. But are considered the top two fighters in the world.

MMA...is a complete mess from top to bottom. Its actually a lot more decent than people give credit for, but its also the closest thing to straight up legal bloodsport.

Not trying to deter the thread, just saying its not so stereotypical. carry on

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jun 8 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not surprised. They tried to teach some kids spanish in some of the schools in philadelphia (the kids got to decide if they wanted to learn or not) and some of the parents went apekitten.

Edited by Mik3, 09 June 2010 - 04:15 AM.

\

#17 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jun 8 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always wanted to learn Chinese and Japanese myself.

Chinese branches off into several dialects. Chinese =/= Language.

Which would you like? Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese..Hakka.... god, there's too many.

#18 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jun 9 2010, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chinese branches off into several dialects. Chinese =/= Language.

Which would you like? Mandarin, Cantonese, Shanghainese..Hakka.... god, there's too many.

Whichever one would be the most common for like a foreigner entering the country to learn or the most commonly used Chinese dialect.

#19 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jun 9 2010, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whichever one would be the most common for like a foreigner entering the country to learn or the most commonly used Chinese dialect.

Mandarin it is.

I see no way to use in North America, unless you live with a family that speaks mainly Mandarin.

#20 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

hmm.. I think in America, Cantonese is more common.

I haven't met any Mandarin-speaking Chinese people. D:

But, nonetheless, I think learning either dialect is cool. My step brother knows some Mandarin and I think its cool. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users