10 replies to this topic

#1 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

Voltron remake planned for Nicktoons. biggrin.gif

"Yes, that's right -- the cartoon about five guys (and later four guys and one girl) who pilot different lion-esque robots that combine to form one large robot called Voltron, charged with defending the entire universe. And a kid who owned all five robots and thus could create their own Voltron pretty much ruled their entire neighborhood."

#2 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

Hmm... where have I seen that before? Sounds very much like... POWER RANGERS!!! rawr.gif

... I'm not watching that...

#3 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Cupcake-chan @ Jun 8 2010, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm... where have I seen that before? Sounds very much like... POWER RANGERS!!! rawr.gif

Well, there've been a lot of suggestions over the years that Power Rangers was a bad Voltron knock-off (it wasn't; it was just that Voltron was one of the US's first experience with the Sentai genre, which Power Rangers was a less-than-stellar but nevertheless popular example of), so I suppose you aren't alone in seeing the resemblence....

World Event Productions (the producers) is claiming they learned their mistakes from the crappy CGI remake\continuation they made a few years ago, so that this particular Voltron re-make won't suck as much. Hopefully.

Edited by desaix, 08 June 2010 - 11:36 PM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#4 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (desaix @ Jun 8 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, there've been a lot of suggestions over the years that Power Rangers was a bad Voltron knock-off (it wasn't; it was just that Voltron was one of the US's first experience with the Sentai genre), so I suppose you aren't alone in seeing the resemblence....

World Event Productions (the producers) is claiming they learned their mistakes from the crappy CGI remake\continuation they made a few years ago, so that this particular Voltron re-make won't suck as much. Hopefully.

Voltron is one in a line of anime/cartoons with the 4 guys/one girl team, starting with Gatchaman (sp?) and G-Force.

But a princess in a castle? 4 intrepid space travelers? Cool lion robots? That was like crack to a whole generation of 80s kids. It is amazing to me that a live-action movie hasn't been made yet. There's way more plot going on there than in the old Transformers cartoons.

Anyway, I'm hoping too that this cartoon foray will be decent.

#5 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 8 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Voltron is one in a line of anime/cartoons with the 4 guys/one girl team, starting with Gatchaman (sp?) and G-Force.

But a princess in a castle? 4 intrepid space travelers? Cool lion robots? That was like crack to a whole generation of 80s kids. It is amazing to me that a live-action movie hasn't been made yet. There's way more plot going on there than in the old Transformers cartoons.

Anyway, I'm hoping too that this cartoon foray will be decent.

They've been talking about a live-action movie, but production has been stalled by legal wranglings over the rights (finally cleared up) and the script (Justin Marks, who also wrote the script for the Street Fighter\Chun Li movie, wrote one; it was 'leaked' to the public, and the general reaction was so bad that Marks was asked to leave the project rather than being asked to revise\rewrite the script; right now, there is no script and no-one hired to write a new script). It's still slated for... I think it's a 2011\12 release? But from what I've seen it doesn't seem likely.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#6 Pite

Pite

I'm a cat with glasses and a piece of chalk in my hand!

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Too long to write about.

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

It reminds me of the times of Voltron, but most importantly I would rather see a remake of "General Daimos"... my childhood in a 30minute series about a giant robot... Good Ol' times.
The meaning of life is to find your own meaning of life.

#7 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 03:06 PM

Just came across this: concept art for a Voltron movie.

Like the last pic of the blue lion getting worked on.

#8 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 10 December 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hmm... where have I seen that before? Sounds very much like... POWER RANGERS!!!

LadyCupcake, Power Rangers is an American adaptation from a Japanese show named Kyoruy Sentai Zyuranger. That show was aired in Japan in 1992.

On the other hand, Voltron is an American version of two Japanese super robot animes: Golion and Dairagger XV. golion was made in 1980 and Dairugger XV in 1982.

Hence, it is NOT a Power Rangers ripoff, since Voltron was made way earlier than Power Rangers existed. Now, it s true Japanese sentai shows (which Power Ranger is part of) are older than Golion/Dairugger/Voltron, but Voltron don't rip them off either since the plot is pretty different and it should be judged on its own merits.

It reminds me of the times of Voltron, but most importantly I would rather see a remake of "General Daimos"... my childhood in a 30minute series about a giant robot... Good Ol' times.

I could kiss you right now.

Yes, Tosho Daimos was great, but I am not too sure about wanting seeing a remake. Remakes from seventies anime shows usually seem worse than the show original to me.

We'll see how this remake goes.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#9 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 10 December 2010 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (Cupcake-chan @ Jun 8 2010, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*shakes head sadly that your generation missed out on so many classics like Voltron, to the point you're calling it a rip-off of Power Rangers of all things*

Such a shame sleep.gif

#10 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:07 PM

Lol, I guess I was lucky that Philippines always airs those awesome, 70s Super Robot anime. I still remember watching Daimos around 1996-98....Ah, I love the intro.

#11 JG111580

JG111580

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Voltron and Tranzor (Mazinger) Z really started my love for cartoons and anime. I would love to see them revived, if done in a way that is respectful to the heart of the story. From what I have read about the first script for Voltron, I am glad that they have scrapped it. The story was already great, and that's why 80's kids' like me continue to look back on it fondly. Making dramatic changes are not necessary to create a successful movie franchise. The recent A-Team movie confirmed this in my mind beyond a shadow of a doubt. While there were minor items that I could look at and criticize individually, the movie as a whole lived up to what A-Team was to me growing up. Transformers also did this to a lesser extent. The scene from the first move in which Optimus Prime transforms and begins to speak using the same voice actor as the orginal series almost brought a tear to my eye. These are the things that hollywood film producers should take into account when considering a hollywood adaptation of beloved work. While I understand their desire to put their own personal creative stamp on the movie, they should stay true to the original material. Bring back original mythology of Keith, Lance, Pidge, Sven, Hunk, and Allura. Throw in a love story for additional appeal if necessary, but continue the war with Zarkon, Lotor, and Haggar for planet Arus. That's what I want to see.

Black Screen

"From days of long ago..."
"From uncharted regions of the universe... comes a legend.."
"The legend of Voltron... defender of the universe..."
"A mighty robot...loved by good... feared by evil..."
"As Voltron's legend grew... peace settled across the galaxy..."
"On planet earth... a Galaxy Alliance was formed..."
"Together with the good planets of the solar system... they maintained peace throughout the universe..."
"Until a new horrible menace threatened the galaxy..."
"Voltron was needed once more..."
"This is the story of the super force of space explorers... specially trained... and sent by the Alliance..."
"To bring back Voltron: Defender of the Universe"

If this happens, I'll be waiting at the door for the midnight premier.

(I know galaxy, solar system, and universe are not interchangeable terms, but when I was five it made perfect sense smile.gif. They can work on that for the movie.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users