Check this out. It's called OnLive.

http://videogames.ya...bsolete/1299562

So what do you guys think about this?

#2 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

I read about this on Kotaku. While it's certainly a very interesting idea, I feel it could be too far ahead of its own time.

Most internet packages have a download limit. Streaming HD video is going to eat up your allowance something fierce. >_<; Also, you don't genuinely own any of the games - once you stop your subscription, your game library vanishes.

It's a nice solution for people who don't want to maintain an expensive PC, but I doubt it will make consoles obsolete.

#3 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:53 PM

Yea... I don't think that'd work out great for everyone and make consoles obsolete.

People with a slower internet service would probably be out of luck as well.

#4 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

This idea is great in theory, but being a great idea and being something the public latches onto sadly tend to be two different things. Besides that, the internet connection needed to pull this off is probably going to be asinine; forget any middle of the road services. Not good for adoption rates.

On top of that, there's next to nothing physical about it. Like it or not, there's a certain safe satisfaction you get from owning a physical disc. It's under your control, right there, not dependent on the fickle influence of the internet or simply data in general. More people than techies realize don't care for download only solutions for this exact reason.

I'm sure it'll do alright, but video gaming publications are getting way too ahead of themselves by claiming it might spell the end of console and PC gaming. Sorry guys, but no it won't. Stop letting your starry eyed love for the idea influence what comes out of your mouth; or in the case of internet publications, what's typed up by your fingers.

Edited by dl316bh, 26 March 2009 - 02:04 PM.

bd5.jpg

#5 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Mar 26 2009, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On top of that, there's next to nothing physical about it. Like it or not, there's a certain safe satisfaction you get from owning a physical disc. It's under your control, right there, not dependent on the fickle influence of the internet or simply data in general. More people than techies realize don't care for download only solutions for this exact reason.

thats pretty much how I feel

#6 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

I don't think its going to work. From the article it says the box is cheap and easy to make, what that tells me is, any smo that knows how to put together a PC or can tinker around modding a game system will figure out to put this thing together and make his own. Not to mention how much bandwidth having these HD games is going to eat up. Also depending on how popular this thing gets will depend on how many hackers will create viruses to screw with service for kicks.

This thing reeks of another N-Gage.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#7 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

Good concept but it won't make consoles and PC games obsolete. It sound like another one of those "old-school SNES and Genesis games in a plugin controller for the TV that requires no console" with the bonus HD graphics and Internet connection.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#8 Daniee

Daniee

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

It's definetely too soon to say stuff like it will "revolutionize the industry" or "make consoles obsolete." I think it will be successful, but people will still buy consoles.

#9 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

Derock. this thing has been shown to even run crysis at 1080p resolution. so it definately isn't just old genesis games and somesuch.
Main prob with it though is that unless you have an internet connection thats godlike (around 10 mbps download/upload)
its going to suck. Also..... they'll have to set up servers all over the planet to make it run properly overseas. Right now they're
only focusing on the Us so People like me probably wont be able to use this service in like forever.

#10 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (GoNeKr@zY @ Mar 26 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Derock. this thing has been shown to even run crysis at 1080p resolution. so it definately isn't just old genesis games and somesuch.
Main prob with it though is that unless you have an internet connection thats godlike (around 10 mbps download/upload)
its going to suck. Also..... they'll have to set up servers all over the planet to make it run properly overseas. Right now they're
only focusing on the Us so People like me probably wont be able to use this service in like forever.

I wasn't saying it was exactly the same as the SNES/Genesis controller plugin on TV. I was saying it was similar to those concepts with updated technological bonuses we use for regular consoles and PCs.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#11 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

I'd rather spend the money that'll come from internet bills and whatnot on a gaming desktop rig.

Won't cost that much.

#12 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

Obsolete consoles? Hardly. Casual Wii gamers aren't going to want to pay the extra internet services this system will require, PS3 gamers aren't going to want to spend the extra money on top of their highly expensive system, and 360 owners most likely alreadly have their Live services set up for a while. There's no reason to change them, really. A faster performance for games is great and all, but not at the price it's most likely going to cost per month.

They say it's going to be affordable, but think about it in the long run. When you buy a console game, no matter what the game is, you own the game. You have the disc or cartridge right there.

With this new system, though, you have to pay to keep the games you want every month. For as long as you want the game. And if at any time you decide you don't want to keep the system, well, good bye games.

It's a novel idea, but I don't think most of use want to pay $50 every month to rent Gears of War, or whatever you happen to download.

Which is basically what this is going to end up as. A really expensive way to rent games.

#13 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:I like writing, reading, working out, and being online. :3

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

This whole time to me seems like 'Blockbuster in a Box' with a good chance of you breaking it when the internet craps out.

...no thanks. XD

Edited by Dark, 27 March 2009 - 12:46 AM.

#14 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

I don't know if any of you read Tim's (of Ctrl-alt-delete) blog on his main page, but I think he more or less summed up anything I could possibly think of. This doesn't hold any interest for me though, as I'd rather have the consoles as they are now, and keep the internet gaming as it is. I don't want to stream my games any more than I want to stream a webcam put up in my bathroom.

#15 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:15 PM

I can't believe I didn't before, so I gotta mention it now. That being that I always find it funny when publications claim things like this will change everything and be the end all-be all. There have been several better ideas then this that have failed; they should get the picture by now.

Far too many people like physically owning things for something like this to ever replace the physical aspect completely. This generally goes for music, movies and all that good stuff. If physical property of things like movies and music have not been killed or disappeared by now, it sure as hell isn't going to happen with video games. Even industry professionals have said as much.
bd5.jpg

#16 NutMan

NutMan

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

This is still really far off. To get HD streaming of a game you need a 5MiB connection which across this country is still very rare. The other issue is bandwidth caps. Let's say you have Comcast which is the largest cable company in America and has a bandwidth cap of 250 GB a month. If you used your connection for NOTHING but using OnLive you would have about 3 hours of playtime a day.

#17 SageNaru

SageNaru

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga and Vidya

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

I like where we are now with all the consoles and how they play online.
I really doubt that OnLive will change anything.
It's a good idea but it wont work out.

#18 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:42 PM

I doubt it would do much. When you look at it: all the good games are from major publishers. Some are: Capcom, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, etc.

There's no way Onlive would get support from the major gaming companies, as they want money on their current systems (well...for Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Microsoft anyways).

I suppose it might work for more casual gamer, but it'd have to be expensive, as they need to make a profit (both onlive AND the game-makers)

I don't really know much about this kinda stuff, but thats my guess.

Edited by Kirby, 30 March 2009 - 11:42 PM.

. Don't Press the red button

#19 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

First and foremost...

This thing requires a large amount of bandwidth.

Unless you had something faster than Cable to stream this, I'm pretty sure you'll be violated in the behind by bills and lag.

Hell, even my internet connection at home is around 1-2 Mb/s. I get a monthly limit of 60 gb, and that gets used pretty fast since I stream anime, play on PSN and my sister downloads.

This will never work.

#20 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:15 AM

Psh as if this will ever work. The cost is going to be insane and only people with high tier net could use it. Blah, sounds like a bad gimick.

Soooooo now that we know its dumb, internet power level thread?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users