• Please log in to reply
184 replies to this topic

#121 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:roses are red, dark clouds are grey.... the rumour come out: does jumin han is gay?

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jan 23 2012, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, so this was officially confirmed? I thought it was interesting how Twilight Princess was placed in the Child Link timeline. There really wasn't any reason to place TP in that timeline other than trying to make a connection between OOT Link and TP Link (since OOT Link presumably spent the rest of his life in that timeline). A possible blood relation makes the Hero's Shade idea plausible too. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for the link, Senpai! happy.gif

You're welcome smile.gif

So... seeing as you've already come across that particular cutscene... I'm assuming you're now going to the Thunderhead and find Levias? Or have you already passed that? ._.

JA2DBzd.png

#122 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

I'm actually doing that right now (my family came up to see me, so I didn't play too much this weekend). The Talon-looking guy at the Lumpy Pumpkin just gave me the offering, so I'm supposed to go meet Levias now. Of course, since I love side-quests, I'll probably get distracted from that. sweat.gif

Now that I think about it though, I'm guessing I have a big search quest coming up. This game's given off a Wind Waker vibe in more than one area, so I wouldn't be surprised if I had to do something similar to that Triforce of Courage thing in WW. I'd actually like that, since I could finish some side quests and the main quest simultaneously. happy.gif

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#123 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

Bump no jutsu!

...actually, wait, this is a Zelda thread...

Erm, Sacred Bump?

Well, I've only met one of the dragons, but I just completed the Gratitude side-quest. Man, I'm a side-quest addict. tongue.gif
Anyways, I just realized I'm at the point of the game with the potential game-breaking glitch (the one that Dreamer mentioned a couple pages ago). I risked a spoiler earlier, and read about the glitch before I got the game, but I didn't really understand the technicalities of it. Is it basically just that talking to an NPC after doing Lanayru's thing (I haven't talked to anyone in the desert yet; didn't want to risk it) causes the Eldin Volcano cinematic to not occur? Or does it cause the Faron Woods events to not initiate?

I finished the Eldin Volcano event, and I've started the Faron Woods thing, so I'm curious if I'm out of the danger zone yet. I'd really hate to finish the Faron Woods event, only to find that I can't do anything in the desert now. Or, hypothetically, if I took a break from collecting things for Faron to go get the Super Shield that the Fire Dragon and a Gossip Stone mentioned, I'm curious if that would end the Faron event I just started. For some reason, I enjoy sequence breaking, but I obviously don't want to ruin the file I've been playing for a month. sweat.gif

#124 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:06 AM

Triple-bumping this awesome thread to share an interesting story I read a while back. Anyone who cares has probably already heard about it, but I thought I'd share anyway for those who haven't.

The Spider's Thread: Symbolism of the Ancient Cistern

Basically, it sounds like there's a legitimate theory going around that the Ancient Cistern, probably the coolest dungeon in Skyward Sword, was inspired by a Japanese parable known as "The Spider's Thread".

Here's the actual parable.
The Spider's Thread --Click here to view--
The Spider's Thread by Akutagawa Ryûnosuke

It so happens that one day the Lord Buddha is strolling alone on the shore of the lotus pond in Paradise. All the lotus blossoms blooming in the pond are globes of the whitest white and from the golden stamen in the center of each an indescribably pleasant fragrance issues forth abidingly over the adjacent area. Day is just dawning in Paradise.
In due course, the Lord Buddha pauses at the edge of the pond and beholds an unexpected sight between the lotus petals veiling the water's surface. Since the depths of Hell lay directly below the lotus pond on Paradise, the scenery of Sanzu-no-kawa and Hari-no-yama can be clearly seen through the crystal-clear water just as if looking through a stereopticon.

Then, the single figure of a man, Kandata by name, squirming there in the depths of Hell along with other sinners, comes into the Lord Buddha's gaze. This man Kandata is a murderer, an arsonist, and a master thief with numerous robberies to his credit. Yet, the Lord Buddha recalls that he had performed a single good deed. That is to say, once when Kandata was traveling through the middle of a dense forest he came upon a spider crawling along the roadside. Thereupon, he immediately raised his foot and was about to trample it to death. But, he suddenly reconsidered, saying, "Nay, nay, small though this spider be, there is no doubt that it too is a living being. Somehow or other it seems a shame to take its life for no reason." In the end he spared the spider rather than killing it.

While observing the situation in Hell, the Lord Buddha remembers that this Kandata had spared the spider. And he decides that in return for having done just that one good deed he would, if he could, try to rescue this man from Hell. Luckily, he sees nearby a spider of Paradise spinning a beautiful silver web on a jade colored lotus petal. The Lord Buddha takes the spider's thread gently into his hand and lowers it between the pure white lotus blossoms straight into the distant depths of Hell.

This is Chi-no-ike in the depths of Hell and along with other sinners Kandata is floating up to the surface and sinking back down over and over. No matter what direction one looks it is completely dark. And when one notices out there in that darkness the glow from the needles of the dreaded Hari-no-yama floating up vaguely into view, the feeling of helplessness is beyond description. Moreover, the surroundings are perfectly still, like the inside of a tomb. If a sound is to be heard, it is merely the faint sigh of some sinner. The sighs are faint because anyone who has fallen to this level of Hell is already so exhausted by the tortures of the other Hells that he or she no longer has even enough strength to cry out. Therefore, as one might expect, the master thief Kandata himself is unable to do anything but writhe, exactly like a frog caught in the throes of death, as he chokes on the blood of Chi-no-ike.
One day, however, something happens. Kandata happens to raise his head and spies in the sky above Chi-no-ike a silvery spider's thread, a thin line shimmering in the silent darkness, gently descending toward him from the distant, distant firmament as though it were afraid to be seen by the eyes of men. Upon seeing it Kandata involuntarily claps his hands for joy. If he were to cling to this thread and climb it to its end, he would surely be able to escape from Hell. No, if all went well, he would even be able to enter Paradise. And were this to come to pass, he would never ever be driven up Hari-no-yama again, nor would he ever have to sink again in Chi-no-ike.

Having thought thusly, Kandata quickly takes firm hold of that spider's thread with both hands and using all his might begins climbing up and up hand-over-hand. From long ago Kandata has been completely used to doing this sort of thing since he is a former master thief.

But because the distance between Hell and Paradise is some tens of thousands of ri, try though he might, he is not able to ascend to the top easily. After climbing for a while, even Kandata finally tires; he is unable to continue for even one more pull on the thread. Having no other choice, he intends first to take a short rest. While hanging onto the thread he looks down on the distance below.

He sees that thanks to the efforts he spent climbing, Chi-no-ike, where he had just recently been, is now already hidden at the bottom of the darkness. He also sees that the faint glow of the terrifying Hari-no-yama is below him. If he were to continue at this pace, the escape from Hell just might not be as difficult as he had expected. Wrapping his hand around the spider's thread, Kandata laughs in a voice unused during his years in Hell, "I'm saved! I'm saved at last!" Then he suddenly notices that below him on the spider's thread, just like a line of ants, a countless number of sinners are following him, climbing up and up for all they are worth. When Kandata sees this, he momentarily freezes from shock and fear, his mouth agape and his eyes rolling in his head like an idiot. How could it be that this slender spider's thread, seemingly strained even under the weight of just him alone, is able to support the weight of that many? By some chance were the thread to break, he, the egotistical Kandata who at great pains had climbed this far, and everyone else would plummet headlong back into Hell. For that to happen would be a disaster. But, even as he says this, sinners, not by the hundreds, nor even by the thousands, but in swarms, continue to crawl up from the bottom of the pitch dark Chi-no-ike and climb up the thin luminous spider's thread in single file. If he doesn't do something right away, the thread will break in two at the center and he will surely fall.

At this point, Kandata yells in a loud voice, "Hey you sinners. This spider's thread is mine. Who the hell asked you to climb it? Get down! Get off it!" Just as he screams at the other sinners the spider's thread, which till then had had nothing wrong with it, suddenly breaks with a snap right where Kandata is hanging. So, Kandata, too, is doomed. Without even time to cry out he goes flying through the air spinning like a top and in the wink of an eye plunges headfirst into the dark depths of Hell.

Afterwards, only the shortened spider's thread from Paradise dangles there, glittering dimly in a sky void of both moon and stars.

The Lord Buddha stands on the shore of the lotus pond in Paradise having taken in everything from start to finish. When Kandata finally sinks like a rock to the bottom of Chi-no-ike he resumes strolling, his countenance seemingly creased with sadness. Seen through divine eyes, the Lord Buddha thought it wretched that Kandata's compassionless heart led him to attempt to escape by himself and for such a heart falling back into Hell was just punishment.
The lotus blossoms in the lotus pond of Paradise, however, are not concerned in the least about what has happened. Those blossoms of the whitest white wave their cups around the divine feet of the Lord Buddha and from the golden stamen in the center of each an indescribably pleasant fragrance issues forth abidingly over the adjacent area. Noon draws near in Paradise.

Translation

It seems pretty interesting. The lotus flowers, Buddha statue, paradise/hell symbolism, and, of course, the thread all make this theory seem really plausible, at least IMO. I'm curious what other interesting sources of inspiration Skyward's development team might have drawn upon.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 22 March 2012 - 02:10 AM.

#125 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:roses are red, dark clouds are grey.... the rumour come out: does jumin han is gay?

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

So I haven't posted here for a while which caused Master Boom to triple post. Was it really that quick for this sacred thread to die down? shamefulcry0js.gif

Anyway. Just out of curiosity, has anyone beat Hero Mode yet? If you have, is there like some kind of special prize at the end or something like that?

JA2DBzd.png

#126 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

Well considering it's only on one game; not Surprising. Don't get me wrong the game WAS EPIC!! TOO epic for words!!! happy.gif But you can only talk about it so much in a thread. sad.gif

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#127 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (Rocket @ Apr 17 2012, 06:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I haven't posted here for a while which caused Master Boom to triple post. Was it really that quick for this sacred thread to die down? shamefulcry0js.gif

Yeah, I guess I haven't had much to say lately (says the guy who triple-posted). Most of my Skyward Sword news comes from ZeldaInformer, and I haven't seen any good articles on there lately. Plus, some of the LoZ/AoL fanboys in the comment sections have been annoying the heck out of me lately.

Anyway. Just out of curiosity, has anyone beat Hero Mode yet? If you have, is there like some kind of special prize at the end or something like that?

I just opened the way to the Island of Songs (was that the name?), but I'm playing Hero Mode a lot slower than my first file. I will beat it eventually though! And then I'll be able to see if Zelda and Link kiss this time! fu.png

#128 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Apr 19 2012, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I guess I haven't had much to say lately (says the guy who triple-posted). Most of my Skyward Sword news comes from ZeldaInformer, and I haven't seen any good articles on there lately. Plus, some of the LoZ/AoL fanboys in the comment sections have been annoying the heck out of me lately.

LOL that reminds me of that Kotaku opinion piece... you know which one it is fu.png

I just opened the way to the Island of Songs (was that the name?), but I'm playing Hero Mode a lot slower than my first file. I will beat it eventually though! And then I'll be able to see if Zelda and Link kiss this time! fu.png

It was the Isle of Songs. tongue.gif

I'm still up to Sky Keep. I haven't had much time to play now that school's kicked in sad.gif plus I was too busy replaying Ocarina of Time haha

JA2DBzd.png

#129 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (Rocket @ Apr 19 2012, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL that reminds me of that Kotaku opinion piece... you know which one it is fu.png

Gah, I remember that one. Aonuma haters really need to suck it up. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword were some of the best games in the series, IMO.

It was the Isle of Songs. tongue.gif

argh1.png

I'm still up to Sky Keep. I haven't had much time to play now that school's kicked in sad.gif plus I was too busy replaying Ocarina of Time haha

Ha ha, that's understandable. But...Sky Keep? You only have a few hours left to go! tongue.gif

Edited by Boom...Winning, 20 April 2012 - 02:39 AM.

#130 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Apr 20 2012, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gah, I remember that one. Aonuma haters really need to suck it up.

wrong game lol

Ha ha, that's understandable. But...Sky Keep? You only have a few hours left to go! tongue.gif

If I'm not loaded with homework I probably might finish this weekend. ^^

By the way you were close enough with the name. :3

Edited by Rocket, 26 April 2012 - 07:34 AM.

JA2DBzd.png

#131 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'll get to hero mode eventually. smile.gif But no Bonus content

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#132 Forlong

Forlong

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

"Skyward Sword" was awarded game of the year? I thought it was good, but not quite that good. After all, it was up against "Arkham City" and "Skyrim". Still, that's a nice thing to reference to Wii haters. The Wii clearly has games that can compete.

Anyway, loved the story and the characters. The controls were a problem. There were a lot of glitches that made things a bit annoying. Hopefully, motion controls will get a lot better.

#133 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

Okaaaayy... so I was scrolling through tumblr and I found this:

Skyward Sword 30 Day Challenge

So who wants to do it with me?! biggrin.gif

JA2DBzd.png

#134 Master_Naruto

Master_Naruto

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (Rocket @ May 5 2012, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okaaaayy... so I was scrolling through tumblr and I found this:

Skyward Sword 30 Day Challenge

ha after beating it twice, I'll think I'll take a break for a while. The game is awesome though smile.gif

Naruto%2BGif%2BRun%2Baway%2BHInata%2BCreRUN NARUTO!!!!

#135 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (Master_Naruto @ May 5 2012, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ha after beating it twice, I'll think I'll take a break for a while. The game is awesome though smile.gif

This doesn't require you to play the game again. You just have to answer one question each day.

JA2DBzd.png

#136 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Rocket @ May 5 2012, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll join! wow.png

I can't guarantee I'll do it every day, but it sounds like a good idea to revive the thread for this amazing game. Unless you were planning on doing it on your blog or something...
No, I didn't give my Loftwing a name. The flight sequences were awesome, but I felt like I didn't really get to use it enough to warrant giving it a name. I sort of wish you could use your Loftwing on the surface, but I guess that would make the exploration sequences way too simple.

Anyways, if I had to name it now, I'd probably call it Firebolt or something.

#137 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ May 6 2012, 06:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you were planning on doing it on your blog or something...

Naw, I doubt anyone will read my blog anyways. tongue.gif confused.gif

Oh well, I was gonna start on Monday but might as well start today.

Q: Did you give a name to your Loftwing? If so, what was it? If not, why not?
Uhm... no?

I mean, why would I give it a name? It's not like the game gives you the option to name your bird/horse/random-animal-companion-that-helps-you-get-to-things-faster like it does on Twilight Princess. ermm.gif

I'll admit, it wasn't until after I finished the game that Link's Loftwing looked like Ho-Oh...

JA2DBzd.png

#138 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:44 PM

LOL, Ho-oh. I never thought about that before, but now I'm sure that'll come to mind every time I ride it.
2.) Who is your favorite citizen of Skyloft?

Does Zelda count? tongue.gif

Hmm, it's hard to pick, since I liked so many of the NPCs in Skyward Sword. I really liked most of the designs, and seeing Beedle and the Happy Mask Salesman return (sort of) was awesome.
I guess if I had to pick a character other than Link and Zelda, I'd go with Groose. Watching him develop from a pompous jerk to a loyal ally was great. I think it made him a lot more interesting to watch because of that, and it was also cool listening to his liefmotif change as his character did. Plus, his reaction to reaching the surface was just hilarious. laugh.gif

I'm sort of curious where he went in the end though. I've read some interesting theories about him potentially becoming the patriarch of the Gerudo race, what with him having gold eyes and red hair. He also looks a lot like Gonzo/Alfonzo from the the Adult Link timeline, so it's possible he stayed around with Link and Zelda, and his descendants became Zelda's vassals, and eventually Tetra's pirate crew.
This is just a ramble though... sweat.gif

#139 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

... Rupin the Happy Gear Salesman. heheelq7.png

Q: Who is your favorite citizen of Skyloft?
Okay seeing as Link, Zelda and Groose are main characters in the game, they will be off-limits.

So I pick... Fledge. fu.png

But seriously, Fledge is such an awesome guy. To me he's kind of like an underdog. I like the underdogs though, because they're such hard working people. They put so much effort and work in what they do. It was so nice to see Fledgey (that's what I like to call him) overcome his low self-esteem and grow to be such a strong character, both emotionally and physically. The guy can do like over 9000 push-ups! .... no seriously, last time I visited him he was up to push-up no. 10,000 and something... strong kid, that one. And in general he's really cute. happy.gif

He's also someone I can sort of relate to, what with starting off as timid to working your way to being a confident person. Kind of like me. Minus the push-up thing of course, I can't even do one. laugh.gif

Stritch is another one I like. Initially I thought he would be a prick or something due to being one of Groose's lackeys at the beginning of the game, but later on it turns out that he's not a complete a-hole after all. His obsession with bugs creeps me out a little though.

I like Instructor Horwell too, he's such a gentle guy. happy.gif

And if this one counts as a citizen of Skyloft... the toilet ghost. She's so sweet when she lovingly strokes Cawlin's hair when he sleeps... the reason I ship Cawlin/Fem!Master HandToilet Ghost Girl. eager.gif

I really like most of the Skyloft citizens, though those are my top favourites. But yeah, if I had to pick one, it would be Fledgey. smile.gif

JA2DBzd.png

#140 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:15 AM

Oops...I'll guess I'll go with Beetle then. I chuckle every time I hear him "Ohhhh!" laugh.gif

3. What did you think of Fi as your guide? (compared to previous ones)

As a character, I loved Fi. In a fantasy world, I found her 'computer' personality to be a lot more interesting than a lot of the previous guides. The fairies and KoRL didn't really talk too much (EXCEPT FOR THOSE ANNOYING HEY LISTEN HEYS), and Midna just seemed like a cliche tsundere. Meanwhile, I LOLed time and time again at Fi and her calculations, even when half the time the they were pretty obvious. "Master, there is a 99% chance that weird plant thing is not Zelda". Oh really? tongue.gif

Now, outside of the story, I guess I didn't really care for Fi. Her chirping was almost as bad, if not worse, than Navi's. I mean, come on, I think I can tell by the big red battery on the corner of my screen that I need more batteries, stop breaking the fourth wall already!!! I also thought some of her obligatory tips were completely unnecessary, especially in the early dungeons. I know the Wii is targeting a younger audience than the Gamecube did, but I think I would have found some of the puzzles more interesting if they just let me have a go at them. Then again, I might also be frustrated at not being able to figure it out either, so I guess it might not be easy to find a balance.

I suppose though, this isn't really a gripe with Fi herself as much as the role she seems to fill gameplay-wise.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 08 May 2012 - 12:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users