8 replies to this topic

#1 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:22 AM

Okay 1 year ago I started a fanfiction called Wasteland Chronicles. The premise was simple at first.

http://www.fanfictio...b_bChronicles_b

Premise- Konoha after the Kyuubi attack, suffers more at the hands of the Uchiha coup, preempted by Shisui leaving a note of Itachi's double cross against the clan. After 1 year of bitter civil war Konoha is near ruin and heavily in debt, 2 major clans break off to form their own villages leaving the refugees and shaken civilian population to rebuild the damage to buildings and ranks. The number of orphans spike in popultion. After an incident between the quickly deserting Hyuga clan and Kumo, Suna's sudden growth in duties, Konoha's support dwindles to record lows and ROOT begins to circumvent the Hokage.

Hardened Supporters begin to abandon Konoha with them Uzumaki Kushina and her son who brings his newest and only friend, a street orphan, with a promise, "Someday Sakura-Chan I'll come back with strong ninja as Hokage and punish those who did this to our home!"
Haruno Sakura only looked at the determination in his eyes as Kushina watched, holding the Hokage hat in her hands, her bodyguards holding the small area. Sakura summoned all her strength, "Then I'll follow you."

A couple intro chapters in, I kinda got stuck. I liked the idea I had of Naruto, Sakura and Gaara having to rebuild Konoha. Those of you who've read it remember:

Konoha is in ruins, and Uzumaki Kushina, who's survived the Kyuubi attack, (I haven't given the reason for that yet) argues with Sarutobi Hiruzen in the borded up Konoha Hokage and Administration building. Konoha on its last legs for numerous reasons reached its breaking point. The Sandaime Hokage charges Kushina with taking the last secrets and titles of Konohagakure and to flee before those left try to take power that the elder leader has barely held onto.

Guarded by Jonin and ANBU loyal to Konoha and the Legacy of the Fourth Hokage, Kushina has lived in a fortress within the village. 10 year old Naruto is worried and confused when his mother returns and finds that Shadow clones had packed all their belongings. His mother informs him that they have to leave. Naruto refuses until he is given no alternative.

But Naruto has one last point of business before leaving the village. Convincing his friend and civil war orphaned Haruno Sakura to come with him. Left alone, abandoned and scared Sakura has lost hope. But the boy convinces her that they can fix things to they way they were before the Uchiha's Rebellion. The group sets off and leaves Konoha just before the final uprising begins.

Sakura dreams of how her mother tries to keep them safe during the Uchiha Uprising, home invasion and war all around the civilian woman manages to get herself and her daughter to the safe zone at the Ninja Academy, being used for refugees. During the night a raiding party steals most of the people in the night, Sakura left alone her ribbon taken by an Uchiha Soldier.

She awakes in the back of a horsecart and spots the shinobi she and the Uzumakis were traveling with. Anko, Kakashi and Uchiha Itachi, whom scares Sakura at first. After which she learns that Itachi was to massacre the Uchiha clan before the rebellion could begin. He reveals that his friend Shisui had told the Uchiha what was to happen and after several political maneuvers the uprising began.

And that Kushina revealed in a personal letter to Sakura's mother that Uchiha were responsible for the Kyuubi.

A fateful rendezvous with Iruka and a Suna envoy saw a new child join Kushina's band. Suna belief in Gaara as a failure led to the belief that a woman with no country could train a "defective" jinchuuriki. Instead Gaara experienced a revived and new friendship with the two other children.

Naruto a fellow jinchuuriki and Sakura a girl treated differently because of her appearance.

Kushina also gains a new follower, Terumi Mei, traveling afar while the Yondaime Mizukage rules with an iron fist and purges the country of Kekkei Genkais.

The main reason for the stopover in the town is revealed, Kushina was trying to recruit the two sannin Jiraiya the toad sage and Tsunade the slug princess. Jiraiya obligated to his godson and student's widow and Tsunade finding her debts were now owned by a clever maneuver by Kushina joined the expedition to find a new home for a group of refugees and the last secrets given to Kushina by their late sensei.

The pleasantries of supper are soon interupted by a bright light coming from the direction of Konoha after sundown. Borrowing the trucks of a nearby film company the group travels out of town in the middle of the night.

Sakura is introduced to Tsunade by Kushina as her new pupil.

The Midnight trek to Uzu no kuni and the remains of Uzushio continue, Sakura is enamoured by Tsunade, her shinobi idol, who seems to be annoyed by the stares of the young girl. The discussion of Sakura and Tsunade changes to the story of what had become of Konoha.

While Sakura discovers Gaara can't sleep in the driver's cockpit, Kushina tells how Orochimaru sided with Fugaku in the rebellion giving fresh forces and supplies from his project in the Sound. And how some clans declared a neutrality in the fight between Konoha and the Uchiha.

Eventually the Uchiha are defeated and flee into the Land of Rice, but low on funds they turned to slavery as a means of production. The villagers serving as a means to an end. Then some clans like the Hyuga demanded more after the end of the Civil War and left rather then staying in the Village to form their own, unable to fulfill its obligations Suna fills most of the power vaccum and political chaos as another group leaves Konoha, almost forced to forge a village. Taking the bulk of the remaining village and countryside with it. Finally Kushina and the remaining loyalists were ordered to flee to Uzu.

Naruto awakes the next morning to find Gaara outside having his seal slightly modified by Jiraiya, though not revealed is that Kushina helps with the adjustments. Gaara can sleep without worry of Shukaku eating his soul, though the other effects remain. Naruto returns inside to find Sakura having another nightmare. He is unaware of what she had to go through living in the village interior alone.

The barges arrive as a large group of Konoha refugees waits on a small island, Kushina summons a remnant of her lost homeland, a temple island she christens Uzugakure. Surrounded by Whirlpools the only way onto the large island is by air or sea, if possible.

Once arrived on the island Kushina tells the people that they will live here and rebuild for the eventual goal of returning to Konoha with revival and retribution in mind.

Naruto, Sakura and Gaara are told that they will be trained and be the eventual team that would play the role in reviving the village.

They make a promise holding their hands out.

Time Skip to when they are older.

Sakura placed her hand in before the three are given their mission by Kushina, who has become the established ruler of the new village of Uzu. They are to unite the fractured villages and its allies, recruit others from their generation to help.

Elsewhere Sunagakure come under attack by an unknown enemy, followed by bombs, giants snakes ridden by a figure with the power of fire. Revealed to be a certain Uchiha.

Okay now I'm stuck after this. Here's the facts so far.

chapter 4-sum --Click here to view--
Makonoha or Konoha no Ma, East Konoha is the first destination of Team 7. Formed of the second exodus the village is closest to what has become known as the Second Sun Incident. Horrors and unknown diseases and other classified issues cause the main nations to unite in building THE WALL, closing what was Konoha off from behind earth. The village is seperated into two parts, the village built upon the hill where numerous areas show the legacy of Konoha's construction, but large metal vault doors, called safes, are built into the cliffside and mountains. The other section is built deep in sunken earth and the wall. Where as one side is above sea level the other is below and is exhibited characteristcs as a slum. Made up of people who arrived after the Second Sun. Isolated by choice, fears of disease and effects, along with rule of law they examine a cohesive Post Traumatic Stress that is being continuously monitored until they can rejoin the rest of Makonoha. The Green Council building rests in the middle of each area and resembles the red building it was designed after. A large tree sits in the middle of the council chamber.

Watching from the main balcony as Ibiki Morino, Yamanaka Inoichi, Nara Shikaku and others argue with a Suna ambassador of the recent attack, Gaara recognizes the ambassador as his sister Temari. He interupts the session by trying to attack her only to be stopped by Naruto and Sakura. The session stops and the conversation changes. Inoichi is overcome with happiness and relief at the sight of Sakura strong and healthy, revealing to her that they had been searching for her until the last moment. And that her best friend and his daughter Ino had been overcome by determination then grief and guilt of failure to find Sakura. She had lost her composure becoming a Mind Witch. Manipulating villagers for her pleasure and unable to stop.

Told of their search, Chouza and Shikaku inform Naruto and Gaara where to find their sons Shikamaru and Chouji while Sakura agrees to deal with Ino.

Naruto and Gaara make headway finding Asuma, Shikamaru and Temari before beginning to locate Chouji. Sakura finds Ino in a club, holding people as puppets and toys, seeing Sakura as a ghost and out of her mind Ino and Sakura begin to fight one another to get Ino to come to her senses. Sakura eventually learning from Ino that she had fought with the Uchiha that took her ribbon and claimed that Sakura was sold, dead or both.

Makonoha during this time receives more intelligence from Kushina via video feed. They agree to terms, but Suna was seeking an alliance in order to stand up to demands of a new power out of Ta no kuni, the Uchiha and a group called the Akatsuki. Unless an alliance could be made Suna would have to agree to terms to have to agree to a new Kazekage appointed by the Uchiha, Akusana no Sasori.

Unbeknowest to Team 7 until the next morning, an Akatsuki spy, Zetsu infultrates the city and the council building seeking weaknesses.

The following morning they are introduced to the last known living member of the Shinobi Council of Konoha, the elder woman Koharu, administering an oath and seeing the world in a different light, Koharu declares Naruto the wandering Hokage. Responsible for returning her and the people to their home.

Where I'm stuck: --Click here to view--
Sakura talks with Ino in the hospital, becoming angered by pestering on the issue of Sakura's life in Konoha after the uprising, Naruto as her only connection. Its an issue Sakura has never told anyone, only Kushina, Tsunade and Mei once in private.
Once their goals accomplished Team 7 seeks to find their way into the less friendly Byaakugakure. Finding pregnant Yuhi Kurenai from Asuma who had lived in the village as a bodyguard for Hiashi's children. She describes how the Hyuga established power and created a medieval system of governance. The village located in a valley near Iwa, Kusa and Ame. Highly prosperous Byaakugakure becomes an exclusive city between three major clans, the Hyuga, the Aburame who had kept moderate control and the Inuzuka who had slowly lost prominence and were becoming lesser and dependent on the Hyuga. Needless to say the Inuzuka who had great success with merchants, farmer and common people were being looked down upon the large white castle built by the Hyuga as a Shinobi castle.

The only way to gain audience with the Hyuga is to have something of great Shinobi value, Naruto, Sakura and Gaara realize this is why Kushina gave Naruto the Forbidden Scroll, to use a bargaining chip with the Hyuga while finding out more about the plight of the Inuzuka. In order to get into Byaaku the three travel to a woodland outside the city and to a nearby Dojo.

Okay I think this gets pretty obvious, I want to add Team Guy into this part of the series, all of them. I was thinking that Guy would've formed his team before Konoha fell and I want to incorporate Neji into this. TenTen knowing where to get entrance visas. I haven't been able to create this part due to writers block and inability by me to transition.

Lee and Guy being well, Lee and Guy.

Though once inside the city I'm lost I was thinking along the lines of taking Hiashi out and allowing the village to readjust and equalize or for the promise of guaranteed support by the Hyuga as the main debate.

I want the Hyuga to be seen as a royal medieval family, and that the changes are seen in Hinata and Hanabi in a more pronounced form. Hinata is more of a porcelain doll locked away by her father. Hanabi the pride of the family.

With the Inuzuka, Kiba was going to be, well Kiba, but with more of a rebellious tone. Shino and the Aburame meanwhile waiting for a moment of decision, keeping to their bugs. I wanted this symbolized by Shino being a silent observer.

I had a lot of humor ideas of Naruto and Sakura trying to act formal, but I don't know where to go. I want to know what you think and if you have any ideas to go about this because I want to get this series back up on FF. I'm just not good with the details.

I create too much and need help getting the story along. Help please! arg.gif ermm.gif

I've been trying to work on this while a new idea of a Naruto Gundam Unicorn crossover came to me. It won't get out of my head! argh1.png

Edited by Insurrection, 28 June 2011 - 05:44 PM.

#2 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

you may feel like you're stuck, but it sounds good to me.

If you're stuck three or four chapters out, don't worry about. Write the chapters until you get there. (You're going to have to do it anyway, might as well get started somewhere.) Because by the time you get to those chapters you'll have a much clearer picture of where you want things to go. Just don't stop writing. If you get blocked in one area, write about other scenes that you want to include.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard on writing was to simply write something. Even if it's crap. It's still something, and you can work with something. But you can't work with nothing. I tell myself this all the time! And it works. It's amazing how many times I write a scene and think it's awful or I won't use it, and then I end up loving it. And the rest of the chapter flows so much more smoothly because of it!

And as for including humor, my thoughts would be to tie in the other characters in a single light-hearted chapter towards the end. That way it brings up the whole seriousness of the story and leaves the reader feeling like Naru/Saku have returned to Konoha and are having funny experiences, interacting with funny characters, and it things are starting to look up. That way the introduction of the rest of the cast of characters doesn't bog down the main story with backstories. But again, that's just a suggestion to take or leave as you see fit.

You really have some great, original ideas and a fairly clear picture of where you want it to go. I would say to just jump in the deep end! Keep writing. The rest will fall into place.

#3 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 28 2011, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you may feel like you're stuck, but it sounds good to me.

If you're stuck three or four chapters out, don't worry about. Write the chapters until you get there. (You're going to have to do it anyway, might as well get started somewhere.) Because by the time you get to those chapters you'll have a much clearer picture of where you want things to go. Just don't stop writing. If you get blocked in one area, write about other scenes that you want to include.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard on writing was to simply write something. Even if it's crap. It's still something, and you can work with something. But you can't work with nothing. I tell myself this all the time! And it works. It's amazing how many times I write a scene and think it's awful or I won't use it, and then I end up loving it. And the rest of the chapter flows so much more smoothly because of it!

And as for including humor, my thoughts would be to tie in the other characters in a single light-hearted chapter towards the end. That way it brings up the whole seriousness of the story and leaves the reader feeling like Naru/Saku have returned to Konoha and are having funny experiences, interacting with funny characters, and it things are starting to look up. That way the introduction of the rest of the cast of characters doesn't bog down the main story with backstories. But again, that's just a suggestion to take or leave as you see fit.

You really have some great, original ideas and a fairly clear picture of where you want it to go. I would say to just jump in the deep end! Keep writing. The rest will fall into place.

I have another issue though, Chapter 4 wound up being 30 pages long. --___-- Is that too long or good enough? I was thinking of doing something to make it into two chapters but I don't know. shamefulcry0js.gif

#4 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

only you can tell that. If the chapter feels solid even with all those pages then good to go. if you think ti needs to be broken up into 2 chapters then find a good spot to break it without breaking the flow of the story.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#5 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

Alright, Chapter 4 of Wasteland Chronicles is up.

http://www.fanfictio...b_bChronicles_b

If anyone has any ideas on what I should do, or try to be better at let me know. But hopefully it's easy to follow.

#6 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:21 AM

30 pages? Holy moly-- I have a hard enough time writting six! I get impatient and frustrated at that point XD

#7 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (ShippudenGirl @ Jun 28 2011, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
30 pages? Holy moly-- I have a hard enough time writting six! I get impatient and frustrated at that point XD

You need practice Shippu-chan then you'll get better eventually. happy.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#8 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:46 AM

Hey just read your chapter on ff.net. Good job! And I checked, you clocked in at around 13,000 words which is fine. I agonized over word counts for a while, but one of the best things I read said that the chapter needs to be long enough to move the reader from one place to another. And you've done just that. Naruto being made hokage at the end is setting the stage for your next chapter. I like where you're going with this story! Don't give in to writer's block. Don't even name it or say you have it. Just write what makes you happy. If you're having trouble kickstarting the next chapter, write your favorite scenes first. (Not like you want to think about another chapter after the monumental effort of posting the current one, but jus' sayin'.) Anyway, good job! Keep it up!

#9 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 28 2011, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey just read your chapter on ff.net. Good job! And I checked, you clocked in at around 13,000 words which is fine. I agonized over word counts for a while, but one of the best things I read said that the chapter needs to be long enough to move the reader from one place to another. And you've done just that. Naruto being made hokage at the end is setting the stage for your next chapter. I like where you're going with this story! Don't give in to writer's block. Don't even name it or say you have it. Just write what makes you happy. If you're having trouble kickstarting the next chapter, write your favorite scenes first. (Not like you want to think about another chapter after the monumental effort of posting the current one, but jus' sayin'.) Anyway, good job! Keep it up!

I'm going to hug you!!! a_squish.gif a_hug.gif

Edited by Insurrection, 05 July 2011 - 05:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users