#1 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

Anyone know where to find registry files? I need to clean up some registry junk an ex-download left behind and I don't know if simply clicking 'remove and delete .torrent + Data,' uninstalling the original app, and/or deleting it from my recycle bin also removed those stuff. My laptop has Vista on it if that info helps....

#2 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Mar 14 2010, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone know where to find registry files? I need to clean up some registry junk an ex-download left behind and I don't know if simply clicking 'remove and delete .torrent + Data,' uninstalling the original app, and/or deleting it from my recycle bin also removed those stuff. My laptop has Vista on it if that info helps....

Delete the download from the Download File/Folder or if it's in another file in "My Documents" first and then go to the recycle bin and delete it there, it should be permanently deleted after that.

If it's software or hardware you have to uninstall and delete it first under the "control panel" then go to add/remove programs and after it's been deleted there, then go to recycle bin to get rid of it.

Edited by Uzumakikage, 14 March 2010 - 04:59 PM.

#3 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

Should be alright then...

#4 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

registry?
i'm no expert but CCleaner has a registry cleaner option available.
It worked wonders with my sims 3 re-re-re-reinstall XD

#5 pal2002

pal2002

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:17 PM

Not sure what you're asking here but registry files are only accessed manually via the registry editor (run/search regedit). Most of the time the stuff does get left behind from uninstalled programs but that really doesn't matter too much, maybe 0.02 seconds or so on your windows load time. You can find the actual registry entries there if you know what you're doing, but I suggest you just leave it alone.

and also don't use registry cleaners, most of them are scams (ie. pay for a useless program) and some of them viruses because for modern powerful cpu's, processing some extra registry really takes nothing. If you're running windows 95 on a 100mhz clunker, that might actually matter.

Edited by pal2002, 15 March 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#6 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:21 AM

XD yeah kinda why i didn't suggest the reg editor. I've been there and it's nooooot pretty.

anyway it's your choice though shad. Toldja i wasn't an expert, so i suggested somethin that's alittle more user friendly. for ex: after scanning for whatever in particular you want it to find, it lists it in very plain sight what it found (for the cynic in you, it may not be everything and in all knowing results) and all i had to do (let's say with sims 3 uninstallation) was to find anything related to sims 3, check it off and select 'fix'. After that my sims 3 installer had no problems and didn't try to duplicate certain files and the like.

or take pal's word for it and trust that your computer won't mind tongue.gif
i'm sorta irrationally against just keeping the extra weight; i've had to be super ocd about memory for as long as i've owned my own system. :/

#7 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (krisk @ Mar 14 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
registry?
i'm no expert but CCleaner has a registry cleaner option available.
It worked wonders with my sims 3 re-re-re-reinstall XD

Thanks for the link 8D

#8 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:26 AM

Check my CCleaner thread!

#9 racerxdsr

racerxdsr

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:36 PM

If you are gonna try to manually clean your registry then you need to make sure you understand where the Reg keys are within the editor. In addition find on the net where these keys are for the program you are trying to clean up. It can be a tedious task but if you delete the wrong key your Operation System may crash or act differently.

Should you decide to clean up the registry yourself always do the following before you start messing with the registry.

Regedit is the tool in Windows to make registry changes.

MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE REGISTRY.(Export Function from Menu).

Then make whatever changes you need to.

Should you need to restore to the original state you can double click the file you saved or go to the Import function in the Regedit tool.

Good luck!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users