4 replies to this topic

#1 Merchant Of Blue Death

Merchant Of Blue Death

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:56 AM

I'm asking this because I have decided to take up a story challenge by MercenaryGrax. It's one where just before Naruto leaves on his trip with Jiraiya Sakura not only gives Naruto a chance but ends up being happily pregnant by him. One of the conditions is that Naruto doesn't know about the baby until he returns. I talked to MG and he agreed to let me not follow all the conditions set because I raised some interesting plot changes. 

What I want to know, and this is for my rewrite of Tip Of The Spear, is who is older? Naruto was born in October and Sakura was born in March. My thinking is that Naruto would be the oldest of the Rookie Nine being that a lot of clans had lost their heirs or the entire clan head's household. If that's the case, most of them would be born nine to twelve months after Kurama ran amok as replacements for the heirs that were lost. Sakura was born six months before or after Naruto and I tend to think that Kushina and Mebuki were friends and Mebuki conceived Sakura in response to Kushina's pregnancy. I've seen that reasoning in a couple older stories and it makes sense that most of the R9 would be replacements or in Sasuke's case, as a spare. 

Having Naruto older also makes a betrothal between him and Sakura makes sense as there is time for Kushina and Mebuki to convince Minato and Kizashi that it was a good idea. Other than Tip of The Spear I won't say what story that's going to fit into as I'm also working on another challenge fic that's a Naruto/Harry Potter story that has Sakura related to the Boy Who's Manipulated. Anyway, I would like to hear other opinions and arguments on the six month age difference between the two.

#2 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 05:43 AM

Hmmm...I'm sure there are official stats about it.... But I think Naruto is older.

Interesting point about the devastation of the Kyuubi attack. It would have had a big impact on the village around the time of his birth, including curtailing births for a while.

Another aspect of Naruto's age is that when Sasuke and Sakura are shown in class with Iruka, Naruto had apparenly already failed the final clone test. Maybe even a number of times. He might still be close in age...but maybe he spent a lot more time flunking out of academy than the others. Sakura was certainly taken care of, and even though Sasuke was orphaned too, the few views of his apartment are that it's nice and tidy. Naruto however is a mess. His life is a mess, he can't get through school, he eats spoiled food.... Yeah. Even if he's not technically older, I think it's safe to say he's more streetwise/experienced than the others are, in ways that only a neglected kid could be. 

#3 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:07 PM

Hmmm...I'm sure there are official stats about it.... But I think Naruto is older.

Interesting point about the devastation of the Kyuubi attack. It would have had a big impact on the village around the time of his birth, including curtailing births for a while.

Another aspect of Naruto's age is that when Sasuke and Sakura are shown in class with Iruka, Naruto had apparenly already failed the final clone test. Maybe even a number of times. He might still be close in age...but maybe he spent a lot more time flunking out of academy than the others. Sakura was certainly taken care of, and even though Sasuke was orphaned too, the few views of his apartment are that it's nice and tidy. Naruto however is a mess. His life is a mess, he can't get through school, he eats spoiled food.... Yeah. Even if he's not technically older, I think it's safe to say he's more streetwise/experienced than the others are, in ways that only a neglected kid could be. 

I think what is weird is Naruto actually failed the test 3 times. This was always a puzzling story element Kishimoto made up because it doesn't make much sense. Some how Naruto took the test 3 times 3 years in a row and failed while for the others it was their first time. How? It almost seems like Naruto should be 3 years older than most his classmates if he had to stay back 3 years. Unless the test is taken within less than a year, but then how come Sasuke and Sakura didn't take the exam as early as Naruto did? The time we saw him fail was supposedly the 3rd time.

Keep in mind, the clone technique test was the ONLY thing stopping Naruto graduating. He mastered the written exams and every other thing in school, but the cloning technique.

Also, and think about this, Naruto can still not make clones. He can make shadow clones, but he can't make clones. Shadow Clones are a different and far more forbidden technique than regular clones which have no substance. One is an illusion, one actually uses chakra to make a near perfect copy.

How did Rock Lee pass the exam when he can't do ninjutsu period?

HOW DOES NINJA SCHOOL WORK?!

Even from the beginning, kishimoto made no sense.

The only way that this could work logically is

1) Naruto is two years older than the rest of his class, but we know this to be false since it is stated he was 12 along with Sasuke and Sakura.

2) The test are taken within months of each other or taken whenever the student feels they are ready, but how much time lapse is that?
If the test was every 6 months, then Naruto should be older than Sasuke and Sakura
Or
If the test is taken every 3 months or taken when the student is ready and passed everything else...then Naruto was a lot smarter in his early days and just became dumber and lazier for little to no reason. Again, it is implied that they had to have passed everything else before trying for the final exam and the only thing stopping Naruto was the final exam. So Naruto could have been a genin long before Sasuke and Sakura would have been if they only took it once and passed, but Naruto had to take it 3 times.

It makes no sense however you put it.

As for the OP's original question.

Sakura was born March 28th while Naruto was born November October 10th.
So Sakura is older by a few months.
Interestingly, Sasuke's birthday is July 23rd. So Sakura is older than both Sasuke and Naruto by a few months assuming they were all born the same year.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 08 August 2019 - 05:49 PM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#4 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

So Sakura is older than her husband... bet Naruto doesn't like that.  :wink:

Edited by NaruSaku fan in Kentucky, 08 August 2019 - 06:10 PM.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#5 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 03:25 AM

Sasuke is older than Naruto, we know that because of the flashback, as for the rest; who knows? It is implied they are all twelve at the start of the manga. If taken literally, then Sakura is older then Naruto since her birthday is in the spring while Naruto is in the fall. We don't know dates in Naruto that much. So it is really hard to gauge time. Or if we take the Japanese school system. Then they graduate in the spring I forget what month compared to Sakura's birth month. So, it could be, Sakura only just turned twelve just before the start of the manga. 

So, either she is the eldest of the three by a few months or the youngest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users