• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:21 AM

Lol, I just thought that this topic would be quite interesting. Don't think it's been done before, but come on people, give your ideas.

For it? Against it? And why?

Btw, I absolutely enjoy harems, tongue.gif

So if you want, u guys can treat this as a debate.
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#2 Jin

Jin

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:27 AM

QUOTE (Wilson @ Sep 8 2008, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, I just thought that this topic would be quite interesting. Don't think it's been done before, but come on people, give your ideas.

For it? Against it? And why?

Btw, I absolutely enjoy harems, tongue.gif

So if you want, u guys can treat this as a debate.

Dislike them greatly. One of my biggest pet peeves in fanfiction. I don't mind a three some pairing when it has a really good explanation, but harem fics I cannot stand.

#3 alucard

alucard

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:computer, games, anime, manga and alot of random things:D

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

whats a harem xD

#4 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (alucard @ Sep 9 2008, 06:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whats a harem xD

o.O

harem = one man, many women. biggrin.gif
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#5 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (Wilson @ Sep 8 2008, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
o.O

harem = one man, many women. biggrin.gif

It could always be the reverse or a yaoi or yuri harem. However, most of the time, it's precisely that with most being centered around Naruto.

#6 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:36 PM

I enjoy them if I want to read smut, but its really rare to find good ones.
Some people seems to love adding more and more characters to the harem, and in the end you're not sure what's what anymore. And the excuse of clan resurection has been overused really, so I would really love to see a harem-fic where the harem didn't come to be because the council wanted to breed the clan faster by impregnating more women, even if Naruto seems to love them equally because of his oh so big heart! :heart:

I do like them though, but I'm partial to a harem with older women (lol, sorry but I guess the Ero Sennin in me is in perfect shape). Also, I find grammar to be more important in a harem-fic compared to a fanfic with a single pairing, but I can't really explain why. I probably won't write one myself, although I've tried several times, but I will read most of them or at least give them a chance.

Yours are always good though Willy! wink.gif

#7 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:03 PM

I don't mind Harem much (Wilson can testify for that since I'm keeping watch on his harem fanfic and god knows I like Love Hina) as long as its done well and have a good reason. The usual "Kyuubi is in heat and makes all females fall in love with Naruto unconditionally" and "Kyuubi is a good guy and wants Naruto to get some love" is NOT something that I want to see EVER again, its friggin stupid and most probably won't be supported by character development. Let me get this straight, Kyuubi wants nothing than to get the hell out of his cage and probably create more destruction, theres no reason for him to turn good and help Naruto unless if he got something out of the deal.

Edited by BlackLightning, 08 September 2008 - 09:06 PM.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#8 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

Well, it depends on who's in the harem. I usually enjoy them if I'm in the mood for a lot of smut and and there aren't way too many people to keep track of. The participants in one all have to be at least remotely sexy as well, so preferably no Lee. Harems only work well with shounen manga's with a large amount of characters, like Bleach or Naruto. However, I tend not to read a whole lot of harem fics since they get to be too complicated for my taste and I like to center the love around two, maybe three, people. Harems are a hell of fun though, when the fancy takes you.

#9 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

Harem Smut.

Mmm.

Yeah, I like Harems in Bleach or Naruto, with a lot of girls surrounding the main character. Its fun. XD

#10 Orenji

Orenji

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:57 PM

Reverse Harem. Yumm.

I'm not a guy so I dont really know the affect of a mass amount of sexy women being all over you, which... yeah. But for me, as a girl, having an uncountable number of sexy men all over me and ready to please me and any minute?

HECK YES.

Morals be gone.

#11 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

Don't like harems really, just me....

#12 Vicious

Vicious

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

Harems are icky. ICKY! :shrug:
The Righteous are humiliated and perish, the strong are weakened and beaten, lovers become wretches to all and the other, the innocent are forsaken and dismissed, and the shattered are left broken... such is the cause of evil and contempt... contempt for what others are not, contempt for their own weaknesses, contempt because they are no longer in the realm of the light. But instead have fallen to hatred, anxiety, and greed.

#13 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:12 PM

Lol yes if I come across a good one I'll read it. Just so happens that so many people do it and they are so cliched nowadays (as BL pointed out with the Kyuubi and stuff like 'Kitsune Clan') that the majority suck. I like to see something original and things that don't focus primarily on the romance but with an actual plot. Also don't like the slave harems because I just find it morally wrong to treat women the way that some fics do (and its some pretty sick stuff) and I notice a lot of them treat Sakura poorly so those are kind of a teeth clincher for me. I, like Vyse, prefer Naruto with the older girls like Anko, Kurenai, Hana, Shizune, Mikoto, Tsunade (Yes I like NaruTsu. So what? >_O) Konan, and others.

Also the traditional Naruto x Naruverse girls gets boring in a while so I like to read ones where Naruto hooks up with girls from other series such as Bleach (All the best girls come from this series XD), YuYu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Rurouni Kenshin, etc; I don't know, I always thought Naruto had a big heart and could love girls from other series as well XD

Though the majority of harem fics are usually a male character paired up with many girls and some argue that its just a male fantasy. You can't deny that there are fics written by female authors who have a female character hook up with a tons of bishies (Sakura is a popular one for these and only Naruto out does her in pairings since people hook the guy up with almost anything/anybody imaginable). It works both ways so I don't see it as a gender specific appeal.

Truth be told, I prefer to find fics with an interesting plot (such as Naruto x crossover, Naruto with a cool bloodline, Naruto as a samurai) and harem as a side attraction.

#14 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:25 PM

Against them. They're disturbing. I prefer a relationship between two people, not between five woman, two cats and a plant.

#15 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (Yoshimoto Trigen @ Sep 8 2008, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Against them. They're disturbing. I prefer a relationship between two people, not between five woman, two cats and a plant.

Lol, agreed, nuff' said wow.png

#16 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (Saint Michael @ Sep 8 2008, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harems are icky. ICKY! :shrug:

I think something's wrong with you when you don't find multiple hot women that want you awesome.

:rolleyes:

#17 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:37 AM

I don't mind Harems in general, though the good ones are the ones with good plot and generally only a harem in the sense that Naruto dates a few women.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#18 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

I'm not very fond of harems (it's more of polygomy practice in reality). But hey, I watched Tenchi series and that was a harem series. Unlike you guys, crossover harems are like... way too much for me. Naruto getting Rukia and Orihime from Bleach, Kaoru from Kenshin, this and that, etc. plus including Sakura and the other females in the Naruverse is WAY too much for me. Next thing I know, Naruto will be a clan leader with over 1,000 babies that are his heir. (Don't you dare get any ideas tongue.gif )

So basically, yeah... harems are not my cup of tea. happy.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#19 Vicious

Vicious

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:11 PM

I think something's wrong with you when you don't find multiple hot women that want you awesome.

I'd explain everything and why Human society is focused around spending a life long relationship with one partner but... that would take a very long time... no it wouldn't. Basically a Human takes a long time to reach a mature age. Now if a father just leaves the mother alone with his child to bare those full 16/18 years society is really going to look down on him because he didn't take his part of the responsibility. Now what is wrong with 1 man with 2 or more women or vice versa? You see nothing wrong with having sex with another partner while you're supposed to be loving someone else? Sex is equal to two things, love and lust, now lust applies with many people thus we get harems but that does not equate to what love is.

Love is saying that you want to spend the rest of your life with someone (one) and mix your genetics together. Now granted harems are much better for the passing on of your specific genes but it also takes away the chances of diversity, not to mention it would be a real pain if you were in love with 6 women and had 3 to 2 children with each, now logically you can't take care of those all by yourself so you would be putting more of the work on the women and that again takes away the responsibility you chose to take, which does not equate to love then. Love IS sharing EQUAL responsibility with your partner thus creating the Give and Take relationship.

Edited by Saint Michael, 09 September 2008 - 11:14 PM.

The Righteous are humiliated and perish, the strong are weakened and beaten, lovers become wretches to all and the other, the innocent are forsaken and dismissed, and the shattered are left broken... such is the cause of evil and contempt... contempt for what others are not, contempt for their own weaknesses, contempt because they are no longer in the realm of the light. But instead have fallen to hatred, anxiety, and greed.

#20 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:56 PM

For you information Michael, Fanbase don't need logic. Plain and simple

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users