Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 16 December 2020 - 01:12 AM

gospayter.jpg

https://www.animenew...netflix/.167490

You've read the title and seen the poster right folks;  one of the best shounen manga/anime of all time is getting a Netflix Live Action Series.  Man after Death Note, and the Attack on Titan films I'm super skeptical.

Then again we did have the Bleach Live Action Movie which was decent... Ah I still don't know!!!

Edited by LuckyChi7, 16 December 2020 - 01:12 AM.

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#2 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 16 December 2020 - 11:20 PM

I'd argue about "best shounen" part, but it was decent for it's time, bleach has to thank for most of it's succes to this manga. Idk about netflix adaptation tho, Bleach was ok, but it had like most early arc, that was possible to adapt. I can't remember anything worth mentinoning in YYH, maybe because I've read it long time ago, but the only thing was a fights on tournament vs "brothers".

#3 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 08:18 AM

I'd argue about "best shounen" part

Compared to Dragonball, Naruto, My Hero? It is far better. Hell, it is Bleach done better.

Sure, I'd argue that Ruroni Kenshin is better, but YuYu Hakusho is definitely better than some of the more "popular" shounen today.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#4 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:21 PM

I'd attribute that to Togashi's skills as a writer in general. He is one of the more meticulous mangaka in the business currently if you ask me.

As for the subject of comparison to Dragon Ball, Naruto, and My hero well.... Dragon Ball is as simplistic as you can get, since it was a gag manga that evolved into a battle manga and fans were drawn more into the cosmic level threat  battles that involve planetary survival similar to some Marvel and DC crossover stories, rather than as a story. Naruto speaks for it self by how the original plot ended.  it was a lucky mess that drew in readers because of sympathy for Naruto and it's messages became hypocritical and pointless in the end, and not to mention all character development Naruto and some others plus one of the central themes of the manga were thrown out the window ALL TO APPEAL to OTAKU WANNABE WEABOOS. I admit the story of My Hero Academia is flawed and uses already established Shonen tropes that were beaten to death, but I really love how well it does the messages of compassion and self sacrifice in heroism. Not to mention it does show some realistic aspects on human behavior and does not a have full fluffy gumdrops and rainbows happy endings in all of it's arcs. (some are very bitter sweet) 

Well that's is just my opinion anyway.

back on topic. I'll definitely give the series a go. I never actually got into the manga/anime so I might watch this live action series first then read the manga to get an objective POV. :yes:

Edited by Phantom_999, 01 January 2021 - 07:29 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#5 NarutoUzumaki01

NarutoUzumaki01

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,431 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

Compared to Dragonball, Naruto, My Hero? It is far better. Hell, it is Bleach done better.

Sure, I'd argue that Ruroni Kenshin is better, but YuYu Hakusho is definitely better than some of the more "popular" shounen today.

Rurouni Kenshin is goldent standart for shonen for me personally, it's "perfect" in all matters, even in bad parts.

#6 Namaenash

Namaenash

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 05:02 PM

Yu Yu Hakusho was solid for its era. It definitely ticked all the boxes for a golden standard of modern age shounen.

I'm not a fan of live adaptation for shounen though. It's proven to be hard to replicate that "youth" vibe from the manga ("shounen" literally means "few years", fyi). It's a different case for shoujo or josei, obviously, where you have many successful case studies for live adaptation (e.g. Hana Yori Dango, Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu, etc).

While Hokuto no Ken and Dragon Ball set the standards of modern shounen (it's mainly about fighting and training to face the enemies), Yu Yu Hakusho (together with Slam Dunk) were probably one of the first that put more emphasis on romance subplot and how it shaped the main protagonist journey --it's heartwarming to see Keiko waiting for Yusuke to 'wake up' at the beginning of the story, all the way to Yusuke promised to return in exactly three years near the end of the story.

While Hokuto no Ken and Dragon Ball set the common shounen tropes, such as hero and anti-hero, I'd argue that Yu Yu Hakusho (and Slam Dunk) enriched shounen tropes with the ideas of an underdog protagonist trying to win the day and a feisty female character that becomes the protagonist's love interest.

Granted, every story is unique, but to date I always regarded Yoshihiro Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho's author) to be in the same league as Rumiko Takahashi, Takehiko Inoue, Hiromi Arakawa and Naoko Takeuchi (his wife btw, lol)... in the way that their creation is unique and inspiring other mangaka to follow, regardless of the target audience or genre.

http://namaenasuyou.tumblr.com/     ||     https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6308104/

"I'm sorry I didn't believe. But I'd given up believing in so much, until I met you. From the first day I saw you, you were everything I ever wanted to believe in. You can do this, Diana. I know you can...But I have to go."

"What? What are you saying?"

"It's okay, this is what I came here to do. I can save today, but you... you can save the world."

#7 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:06 PM

Lol yeah I have reservations of live action adaptations of anything regarding manga and anime, well at least the action oriented ones. They are usually not well received. Although Rurouni Kenshin is an exception I believe

Edited by Phantom_999, 02 January 2021 - 06:06 PM.

#8 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 07:26 PM

I'd attribute that to Togashi's skills as a writer in general. He is one of the more meticulous mangaka in the business currently if you ask me.

I admit the story of My Hero Academia is flawed and uses already established Shonen tropes that were beaten to death, but I really love how well it does the messages of compassion and self sacrifice in heroism. Not to mention it does show some realistic aspects on human behavior and does not a have full fluffy gumdrops and rainbows happy endings in all of it's arcs. (some are very bitter sweet) 

I have a bad feeling My Hero is going to crush itself under its own weight. I just have this feeling that it will hype up something and then just be a major disappointment.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#9 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:01 PM

There's the chance of it, I won't deny that. But I'm gonna be honest, I don't over hype it in my mind like others and therefore I think I'll be okay with whatever it brings out. Well maybe. :excited: I feel that whenever a fictional media ends up being a big disappointment is mainly attributed to over expecting things. lol Now on that note, I find that manga endings don't give full satisfaction, and for the most part, I'm okay with it. As long as the overall themes are not betrayed that is, which they usually aren't, Naruto being an exception, and for an unnecessary, trashy "crack pairing" at that.

Edited by Phantom_999, 03 January 2021 - 03:41 PM.

#10 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 05:28 PM

There's the chance of it, I won't deny that. But I'm gonna be honest, I don't over hype it in my mind like others and therefore I think I'll be okay with whatever it brings out. Well maybe. :excited: I feel that whenever a fictional media ends up being a big disappointment is mainly attributed to over expecting things. lol Now on that note, I find that manga endings don't give full satisfaction, and for the most part, I'm okay with it. As long as the overall themes are not betrayed that is, which they usually aren't, Naruto being an exception, and for an unnecessary, trashy "crack pairing" at that.

Well, I don't mean over hype from the fans rather than over hype from the plot itself. Like the plot will heavily hint at something to occur only for it to not happen or it isn't as grand as the plot made it out to be.

It leaves you scratching your head going "why was this such a big deal?" Now you can circumvent this by lampshading the plot and saying that it wasn't the intention to be over hyped and it just snowballed due to rumor, but it is a little hard to do without making the characters seems stupid to the obvious and it only really works if something was great to begin with.

I am trying to think of a good example and the best one I can think of is Naruto. Naruto through out the story talks about bringing peace, making bonds, and more. How he will show the world how important it is to be connected and while we do get a lot of plot hype, and it just ended anti-climatically. Like, all that for nothing? We don't get to see it happen we are just told it does? The point of a story is to live the journey, see the struggles, watch the pains.

Imagine a Let's Play where you see two parts of the game. The beginning where the guy introduces everything and then the next video is the end going "Wow, that was one hell of a ride. It was a massive struggle, but all's well that ends well." You would be screaming "WHAT HAPPENED?!"

That is what I am afraid of for My Hero

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#11 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

Oh that. Yeah, that I can see happening. But again, I'm prepared for it, but am enjoying it all the same for now. Admittedly that WILL typically happen just because it is a weekly series, so times will arise when plot lines will be scrapped, and notice it happens with series other than My Hero, or with other media outside of manga in general too. Secondly editors will probably advise against plot lines here and there "to play it safe" and it has happened, as we are all too aware of.

But back on topic. I'm hoping that a release date gets announced soon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users