• This topic is locked This topic is locked
328 replies to this topic

#1 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:39 AM

a tsunami is striking a part of coast as a result. CNN International is covering it. They thought it was a 7.9 quake at first but it's been upgraded to an 8.8- classifying it as a Great Earthquake.

http://edition.cnn.c...uake/index.html

231 miles off the coast from Tokyo. Only 15 miles underground. I just heard them say on CNN it was only 80 miles from Sendai. I went to college with someone who was from Sendai. (I lost touch with her over the years, but I immediately thought I hope she's okay.)
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#2 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

Oh my gosh! :O

#3 lav

lav

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:reading and watching tv

Posted 11 March 2011 - 06:59 AM

oh my gosh!!! what's happening to the southeast part of the world?..hope Philippines will never experience the same.

#4 lav

lav

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

i really feel sorry for them...

#5 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

*Gulps* hopefully this doesn't affect the manga releases later. But this is very scary...... I do hope nothing happens to our favourite mangakas or the citizens for that matter. I do hope it won't turn into an Aceh disaster all over again.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#6 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:06 AM

They just reported the pictures of the tsunami is from Sendai- damage at the coast there looks like a major tornado went through. Mud and debris still spreading rapidly there.

Edited by ciardha, 11 March 2011 - 07:09 AM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#7 lav

lav

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

let us just pray for them...

#8 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (lav @ Mar 11 2011, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
let us just pray for them...

Yeah i will too but I'm afraid it's only going to get worse from here on though.

Please Watch at your own risk, as some find this disturbing --Click here to view--

Edited by Dreamer, 11 March 2011 - 08:01 AM.

#9 lav

lav

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:06 AM

oh no!it was really worse..i just watch the TV and i can't stand to watch it...

#10 lav

lav

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

haizt, now there's a tsunami alert here in the Philippines...please don't let it be!i'm so afraid...

#11 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

Yeha caught msnbcs coverage of the quake. the USGS has allreayd confirmed it at 8.9 magnitude and the tidalw aves at 13 feet or bigger.

incredible shots of the wall of water and debris, some fo the debris was even on fire. Add in tsunami warning for the west coast (i alrleady called my mom to warn her) my goodness this is crazy.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#12 Torxe

Torxe

World's greatest critic <boragnarok>

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Games, PC, fora, terraria, Bo-karate, meditation

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:08 AM

Sounds serious business, I luckily can't say I've ever experienced smthng like that one of the few advantages of living in Belgium.

Hope the best for everyone

Edited by Torxe, 11 March 2011 - 11:08 AM.

In support of the Sakura we once knew:

Sakura-killing-hinata-naruto-shippuuden-

#13 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

Christ, this is bad. The Tsunami from 05 in SouthEast Asia looked pretty terrible, but all that mud and debris, that's something I wouldn't want to be caught in. Back at home, I live about 1 mile from the San Andreas Fault Line in California, and we're due for a big one ourselves, so this scares the crap out of me just reminding me it could happen to me too.

@Dreamer: Sorry, but I'm sure that video is completely fake. You can do anything with computers these days. I'm assuming that "Spectre" was not found by the crowd. Then how could a normal video camera catch it?

#14 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:32 AM

How far does the damage stretch over Japan? I'm just able to get sketchy details at this point.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#15 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Kodachi Claws @ Mar 11 2011, 05:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Christ, this is bad. The Tsunami from 05 in SouthEast Asia looked pretty terrible, but all that mud and debris, that's something I wouldn't want to be caught in. Back at home, I live about 1 mile from the San Andreas Fault Line in California, and we're due for a big one ourselves, so this scares the crap out of me just reminding me it could happen to me too.

@Dreamer: Sorry, but I'm sure that video is completely fake. You can do anything with computers these days. I'm assuming that "Spectre" was not found by the crowd. Then how could a normal video camera catch it?

It was caught by a live MSNBC video camera filming the riot. As for the people not seeing it, they could of saw only the "Orb" of the spectre but usually the camera catches a better glimpse or outline of ghosts similar to what ghost hunters experience. All i'm saying is don't you find it strange how this was caught and a few weeks later a massive earthquake and tsunami hits Japan?

Edited by Dreamer, 11 March 2011 - 12:04 PM.

#16 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

less strange than if the earthquake and tsunami would have happened wherever that horsemen may have appeared what has Japan to do with egypt?

#17 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

That's pretty terrible what happened. I hope things calm down soon, and they aren't hit by anymore major quakes. Here's footage of the tsunami hitting:

http://thelede.blogs...-of-destruction

And the tsunami has now hit Hawaii:

http://news.yahoo.co...thquake_pacific

#18 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

The last time they had a quake in the 8's was about sixty years ago. Had another high eights fifty years before that. I'm sure no one in Japan missed them.

I wonder if they had "end of the world" guys back then? Probably not. They didn't exactly have the technology to know when something like this was happening in another part of the world.

Anyways, I hope Japan recovers alright from this. On the plus side, so far the death count is low. Hopefully it stays that way. Last time they had a quake in the 8's they lost about a thousand people and I sincerely hope the death toll for this quake doesn't reach anywhere near that level. Hope they do alright.

QUOTE (Dreamer @ Mar 11 2011, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah i will too but I'm afraid it's only going to get worse from here on though.

Please Watch at your own risk, as some find this disturbing --Click here to view--

People post crap like this all the time. I can't count how many "UFO" videos I've seen. It's all BS. Besides, I don't see how a yellow smudge looks like a "horseman", much less a specific rendering of the mythical horseman out of the eight million different artistic renderings there are. This is kind of like picking out shapes in the clouds. Besides, if you ask me it's shaped more like a dude in a boat sailing up the street.

Sorry, but I'm sure that video is completely fake. You can do anything with computers these days. I'm assuming that "Spectre" was not found by the crowd. Then how could a normal video camera catch it?

It's all a bunch of superstition about how camera's can catch wind of ghosts and so forth. There have been quite a few television shows that make money off of that sort of thing. Some people just want to believe in stuff like ghosts though, so they take it at face value. This is why there are people who still believe in numerous hoaxes even if they're explicitly disproven.

It's either a lens flare from that big ass fire in the background or a reflection. Could even be caused by that truck next to the burning car; seems awful funny how this "spectre" disappears as it goes off camera. Besides which, as it "moves" there are flicks to the left of the same color, which is a pretty clear indication it's a glare from something. But all that aside... all the proof you need is the fact that it moves and disappears exactly as the camera pans.

Light's a very funny thing and can have some damn funny effects on cameras which have been passed off as "ghosts" for years.

The reason this is even a thing is because we have the five millionth supposed "end of the world" date in the past couple decades coming up, so of course everyone's like "OMG". Christ. I swear, it's 1999 all over again.

Edited by dl316bh, 11 March 2011 - 01:55 PM.

bd5.jpg

#19 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

Looks nothing like water anymore just mud with rubble in it...

#20 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

Cal, Oregon, you're on an advisory.

Man Japan shut down, waves hit Hawaii, this thing is huge. US military mobilized.

And I just saw the water take out Sendai's airport from earlier, and the gas plant. Power is shut down, oh man.

Edited by Insurrection, 11 March 2011 - 03:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users