#21 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

I hate it.

But not just because the design is boring and uninspired. It's more than that.... The feeling it imparts is isolation.

This is not a happy, feel-good cover. It says nothing about Naruto finally meeting his goals. It says nothing about his happiness. It says nothing about his love of his team (or Sasuke). It does not tell a story about the character (Naruto).

Look at every other cover up until now. They are dynamic, involve multiple characters and are almost always engaging the audience. And if they're not, then the characters are fighting each other. But in almost every one, Naruto is looking at the reader.

Like the ending where the Naruto we knew disappears while Sasuke is narrating, only to return in the epilogue as a hardened Hokage, with the hopefulness and boundless enthusiasm of his youth washed away by the burdens of adulthood this cover reflects a Naruto that is alone in his responsibility for the village. This is his life now. And the fact that he doesn't engage the audience is a very strong statement of how much he has changed. 

A good image tells a story, without having to use any words or cutlines or cues to inform the viewer. The viewer "reads" the image. 

But there is no true story to read in this image. This is the end. Naruto has turned his back on the viewer. We can't know if he's happy or sad. Stressed or angry. We know nothing about the person he was before. We only know that he is the title that's on his back. And that he is alone in his responsibility of the village.

Think of the alternative way that the visual story of Naruto as Hokage could be told by simply having Naruto turn around:

- Naruto leaning against the balcony rail, smiling at the viewer, with the Hokage hat and cloak flung over his shoulder in a jaunty manner. The message here is that even though he's alone, he's happy and he's succeeded in his goal. He is making direct eye contact with the viewer, his number one fan, the only one who has truly been with him since the beginning. The message is "I did it! We did it!"

Or an alternative image of a more dynamic nature:

- Naruto leaning against the balcony rail, smiling at the viewer, the Hokage hat and cloak flung over his shoulder, and behind him is the whole village, with the rookies and Kakashi, Tsunade, etc. looking up at him smiling and cheering and holding signs saying congratulations. The message is that he's finally met his goal and the village is acknowledging him. 

So that's just with him standing there. But the cover could also show Naruto as Hokage in any other way:

- Naruto laughing with Tsunade at the Hokage desk, but now he's in the seat.

- Naruto with the hat on, leaning his arm on the next youngest Naruto, and then the next, with the whole line of Naruto's looking up at the oldest, the Hokage who's finally achieved his goal

- Naruto with the other Hokages, standing around him smiling, while Naruto is in the center in brightest color being acknowledged by them.

So yeah.... If you think of all the choices that Kishimoto could have made for a dynamic, rousing sentimental ending...this cover Naruto alone with his back turned to the viewer is not it.

My honest opinion is that the cover reflects more about Kishimoto's feelings than it does about Naruto reaching his goals or being the last volume of the series.

I think Kishimoto was ready to be finished. So he drew the quickest, easiest, most non-sentimental cover he could. He portrayed Naruto as turning his back on his fans and his youthful adventures and giving himself up to his life and duty. (The show's over. The doors are closing, everybody out.)

I think Kishimoto wrote the end to Naruto with himself in mind. Naruto is jaded and tired, putting his work responsibilities above everything else. He is so tremendously OOC, it's like you're not even reading the same character. I think Kishimoto started his time writing Naruto as youthful and hopeful, but now he's 20 years older and tired of it, and sees how different life is now instead of when he was just starting out. He's jaded. 

There are two take-aways from this cover: First is that Naruto is standing watch over his village. Second is that he's turned his back on everything else. 

It's not a positive message.

So I can't help but think that somehow it reflects Kishimoto's feelings at the end of the series. He's turning his back too. He's ready to be done with it.

Yes, the cover shows Naruto as Hokage, but there were lots of different, more positive ways to show that. The image could have imparted a range of emotions such as humor or achievement or nostalgia or camaraderie. But instead the only emotion that is shown is closure.

Naruto is alone. His duty is more important that goofing off for readers anymore. This is the end. Show's over. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

You're refrain from making any post. Too much likes are given away.

Seriously, how can you botch the hand?

#22 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:41 PM

You're refrain from making any post. Too much likes are given away.

Seriously, how can you botch the hand?

My best guess is Kishi just stopped caring, I can understand making errors on manga panels and fixing them in the volume for sure. However making a mistake on a Volume cover just says this is wrong. You can clearly see it when visualizing the cover.  

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#23 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

My best guess is Kishi just stopped caring, I can understand making errors on manga panels and fixing them in the volume for sure. However making a mistake on a Volume cover just says this is wrong. You can clearly see it when visualizing the cover.  

I really think he wants out asap and didn't much thought to the cover. It's basic but bland. I won't be surprised that the sequel is him on art but story by another. Like War Arc.

#24 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:45 PM

I hate it.

But not just because the design is boring and uninspired. It's more than that.... The feeling it imparts is isolation.

This is not a happy, feel-good cover. It says nothing about Naruto finally meeting his goals. It says nothing about his happiness. It says nothing about his love of his team (or Sasuke). It does not tell a story about the character (Naruto).

Look at every other cover up until now. They are dynamic, involve multiple characters and are almost always engaging the audience. And if they're not, then the characters are fighting each other. But in almost every one, Naruto is looking at the reader.

Like the ending — where the Naruto we knew disappears while Sasuke is narrating, only to return in the epilogue as a hardened Hokage, with the hopefulness and boundless enthusiasm of his youth washed away by the burdens of adulthood — this cover reflects a Naruto that is alone in his responsibility for the village. This is his life now. And the fact that he doesn't engage the audience is a very strong statement of how much he has changed. 

A good image tells a story, without having to use any words or cutlines or cues to inform the viewer. The viewer "reads" the image. 

But there is no true story to read in this image. This is the end. Naruto has turned his back on the viewer. We can't know if he's happy or sad. Stressed or angry. We know nothing about the person he was before. We only know that he is the title that's on his back. And that he is alone in his responsibility of the village.

Think of the alternative way that the visual story of Naruto as Hokage could be told by simply having Naruto turn around:

- Naruto leaning against the balcony rail, smiling at the viewer, with the Hokage hat and cloak flung over his shoulder in a jaunty manner. The message here is that even though he's alone, he's happy and he's succeeded in his goal. He is making direct eye contact with the viewer, his number one fan, the only one who has truly been with him since the beginning. The message is "I did it! We did it!"

- Naruto leaning against the balcony rail, smiling at the viewer, the Hokage hat and cloak flung over his shoulder, and behind him is the whole village, with the rookies and Kakashi, Tsunade, etc. looking up at him smiling and cheering and holding signs saying congratulations. The message is that he's finally met his goal and the village is acknowledging him. 

So that's just with him standing there. But the cover could also show Naruto as Hokage in any other way:

- Naruto with the hat on, leaning his arm on the next youngest Naruto, and then the next, with the whole line of Naruto's looking up at the oldest, the Hokage who's finally achieved his goal

- Naruto with the other Hokages, standing around him smiling, while Naruto is in the center in brightest color being acknowledged by them.

So yeah.... If you think of all the choices that Kishimoto could have made for a dynamic, rousing sentimental ending...this cover — Naruto alone with his back turned to the viewer — is not it.

My honest opinion is that the cover reflects more about Kishimoto's feelings than it does about Naruto reaching his goals or being the last volume of the series.

I think Kishimoto was ready to be finished. So he drew the quickest, easiest, most non-sentimental cover he could. He portrayed Naruto as turning his back on his fans and his youthful adventures and giving himself up to his life and duty. (The show's over. The doors are closing, everybody out.)

I think Kishimoto wrote the end to Naruto with himself in mind. Naruto is jaded and tired, putting his work responsibilities above everything else. He is so tremendously OOC, it's like you're not even reading the same character. I think Kishimoto started his time writing Naruto as youthful and hopeful, but now he's 20 years older and tired of it, and sees how different life is now instead of when he was just starting out. He's jaded. 

There are two take-aways from this cover: First is that Naruto is standing watch over his village. Second is that he's turned his back on everything else. 

So I can't help but think that somehow it reflects Kishimoto's feelings at the end of the series. He's turning his back too. He's ready to be done with it.

Yes, the cover shows Naruto as Hokage, but there were lots of different, more positive ways to show that. The image could have imparted a range of emotions such as humor or achievement or nostalgia or camaraderie. But instead the only emotion that is shown is closure.

Naruto is alone. His duty is more important that goofing off for readers anymore. This is the end. Show's over. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

Tricksie, pls change the number of likes b/c you're taking all our likes away!

You always give us such amazing posts T_T

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#25 Cherry-Bloss93

Cherry-Bloss93

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Naruto, Biochemistry <3

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

I see that the reviews for this cover are quite mixed - so, I figured I would add mine to this splendid concoction.
At first glance, I like the artwork. The colors are bright and bold, and the scene depicted is dramatic and striking. In spite of all it's inconsistencies, I like how it was drawn. However, that is about as far as my praise for this cover goes.
While it in itself stands as a fine piece of artwork, one must remember that this image is intended to represent the ending of Naruto. It's quite strange that, as one tumblr user put it, "Naruto starts alone and he ends alone." What, may I ask, happened to the important people in his life who helped him to achieve his goals? What about his family who he should love very much? Why is he alone? Now, this may not seem to be that big of an issue, but this is Naruto we're talking about - the story that put over 80% of its focus on BONDS. Not to mention this is Naruto the character we're talking about - that sad, neglected boy who put so much value into his very first BONDS, his FRIENDS that saved him from the darkness. This cover combined with the story of Naruto seems to imply that, ironically, nothing has really changed. Even though he is Hokage and he did make friends along the way, this cover emanates a feeling of hollowness, that though the victory is won something is missing. And that, my friends, is drive - purpose. It seeks that once Naruto became Hokage, his purpose was fulfilled, and there is no more need for his character. It's sad, but this is the impression that I get from this.
Naruto no longer has a purpose, therefore he is no longer needed. Since he is no longer needed, the characters who helped to develop him are no longer needed, either. And that's why I don't care for this cover.

Edited by Cherry-Bloss93, 19 January 2015 - 11:21 PM.

narusaku_ending_22_by_dew_mangaka-d56e4f

#26 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

I really think he wants out asap and didn't much thought to the cover. It's basic but bland. I won't be surprised that the sequel is him on art but story by another. Like War Arc.

I couldn't agree more about that, and funny you mention the story when it comes to the sequel. I've seen a lot of people that NH and SS shippers more specifically saying you guys gave Legend of Korra a chance because of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The thing is Avatar: The Last Airbender had a satisfying ending for the series which is why I gave Legend of Korra a chance when it was first announced. Michel and Brian (The creators of the show) told an incredible story from start to finish, and I trusted them in making the decision of making a sequel series.    

Here we have a different situation going on because the ending was unsatisfying for Naruto, giving the sequel series just feels wrong. It's just not that bad, but this ending shows us Kishi's true colors, and that's part of the reason why I can't see any redemption for Naruto with a sequel series.   

#27 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

Feels kinda lazy to me, no homage to past events, no recollection to the majority of the content of the last volume, but just lazy further helped on with the fact that his hand doesn't appear to be bandaged at all. Also while we do have high rise buildings, in the last chapter they were shown above the hokage monument, here they seem to be mixed in with the older buldingis and there also appears to be this giant wall that isn't seen in the last chpter, but I guess it could be the village shown from a diferent angle.

iAnby7W.gif

#28 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

I couldn't agree more about that, and funny you mention the story when it comes to the sequel. I've seen a lot of people that NH and SS shippers more specifically saying you guys gave Legend of Korra a chance because of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

The thing is Avatar: The Last Airbender had a satisfying ending for the series which is why I gave Legend of Korra a chance when it was first announced. Michel and Brian (The creators of the show) told an incredible story from start to finish, and I trusted them in making the decision of making a sequel series.    

Here we have a different situation going on because the ending was unsatisfying for Naruto, giving the sequel series just feels wrong. It's just not that bad, but this ending shows us Kishi's true colors, and that's part of the reason why I can't see any redemption for Naruto with a sequel series.   

To me, I gave LoK a chance because it's a brand new story. A story that skips 70 years ago. The only thing that connects is the characters and that's it. There's no "Where's that villain that is hellbent taking over the world from Avatar?" or anything. It's only using the universe.

Here, it's using the timeline from where we stopped at. If bring Orochimaru into the mix, then it's not a sequel rather a part 3. That's confusing because the story ended, so a new one begins but using the same problem from first story only raises question. So this is an utter mess. They already ruined it with The Last, hence negative feedback, so with this sequel, I don't want to know what's next.

#29 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:42 PM

I hate it.

Like the ending — where the Naruto we knew disappears while Sasuke is narrating, only to return in the epilogue as a hardened Hokage, with the hopefulness and boundless enthusiasm of his youth washed away by the burdens of adulthood — this cover reflects a Naruto that is alone in his responsibility for the village. This is his life now. And the fact that he doesn't engage the audience is a very strong statement of how much he has changed. 

So yeah.... If you think of all the choices that Kishimoto could have made for a dynamic, rousing sentimental ending...this cover — Naruto alone with his back turned to the viewer — is not it.

DAMN SON.

Said it like it is.

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#30 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:19 AM

Is this it?

Couldn't they at the very least include Hinata and his kids alongside him to show that he was happy with his life? This is just depressing :/

#31 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:40 AM

Maybe I have little issue with it because I'm not too fond of the usual volume layout format with tons of crap shoved into the picture, whereas this is a nice, focused cover that has an air of maturity to its design. Does it represent Naruto the series well? Probably not. But what does represent Naruto the series (the usual volume cover layout) doesn't impact me nearly as much as the simple power this one has.

Edited by CloudMountainJuror, 20 January 2015 - 12:42 AM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#32 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:54 AM

To me, I gave LoK a chance because it's a brand new story. A story that skips 70 years ago. The only thing that connects is the characters and that's it. There's no "Where's that villain that is hellbent taking over the world from Avatar?" or anything. It's only using the universe.

Here, it's using the timeline from where we stopped at. If bring Orochimaru into the mix, then it's not a sequel rather a part 3. That's confusing because the story ended, so a new one begins but using the same problem from first story only raises question. So this is an utter mess. They already ruined it with The Last, hence negative feedback, so with this sequel, I don't want to know what's next.

Took the words right of my mouth, and it's so true too. I mean had Legend of Korra reintroduced Azula as the main villain in the series then I would've like "Woah wait a second guys lets at least give Korra her own problems to deal with." and thankfully they went in that direction for the series. You can go on to say that Avatar The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra are like two different series. They don't really continue off from where they left off from the original series, and like you said it only uses the universe that's about it. Not sure if you read the comics that continues from the timeline of Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I will say that things are getting pretty interesting at the moment. 

My thoughts exactly, from what some of my subs have told me on youtube Kishi said that Orochimaru will be in the new story, and that's a problem right there. I'd prefer if he was dealt with in Naruto's story, and let the new generation have it's own problems going on instead of bringing someone from the first story. And considering with The Last and the feedback it's gotten like you said, I also get a strong feeling this is going in the wrong direction.   

#33 Cherry-Bloss93

Cherry-Bloss93

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:Horses, Naruto, Biochemistry <3

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:32 AM

Apparently someone said that Kishi held a contest for people to draw ending covers, and that he chose the one he liked best and redrew it for the last volume cover. Is that true?

narusaku_ending_22_by_dew_mangaka-d56e4f

#34 Popuri

Popuri

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,393 posts
  • Interests:Sequel of Final Mission Status!

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

The cover is fine. But that's just that. If we look it from the whole manga, it's  :down:

I see cover comparison between Shaman King and Naruto on Chatte's tumblr and I actually have been having that Shaman King final cover for Naruto. But reality? Not like that for naruto. It's just fine. Not great. Not memorable.

Is this it?

Couldn't they at the very least include Hinata and his kids alongside him to show that he was happy with his life? This is just depressing :/

Never ever put hinata there! -_-

Edited by xpopurix, 20 January 2015 - 10:31 AM.

Even a rock has something it can be used for. There's a way for them to shine that even a jewel can't compare to - Sakamochi Tatsuma :lulz:

#35 Torxe

Torxe

World's greatest critic <boragnarok>

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Games, PC, fora, terraria, Bo-karate, meditation

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

I hate it.

Beautifully written, don't know what else to say. 

In support of the Sakura we once knew:

Sakura-killing-hinata-naruto-shippuuden-

#36 Niky

Niky

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

Is this it?

Oh, my God!! Hinata and his kids too? I'd really rather not!!

And... To show that he was happy with his life? There were too many lies to keep track and Kishimoto forgot this one...

Returning to the cover, the message is: "It's finally over"!!

Nana Mizuki, SP, Shonen Jump, Otaku fanboys and fangirls, Hinata sama-hime-dono-san-kun-chan... You've got what you wanted!!!

Are you happy?

This is THE END!! :hm: (sperem... :unsure: )

@Tricksie

You are my hero!! :wibble:

Edited by Niky, 20 January 2015 - 01:07 PM.

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”

G. K. Chesterton

tumblr_o3tosabkSm1untbo7o4_r2_250.gif

Their first encounter...

#37 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

To be honest apart from the obvious mistake which makes me laugh, this cover is the worst one that Naruto ever got. I can't believe I'm going to say this but the NH one is a lot better. This one is just empty. That's really the word for it empty.

It shows how the main character ended up not really a scumbag but a loser.

He's alone, miserable and sad. He has nothing in his life. There's no achievement, nothing be glad for or to remember.

His best friend abandoned him. He ended up Hokage because Kakashi got tired of being the Hokage, not because the people actually wanted him. He never confessed his love to the woman that he actually loves. He ended up being with someone he never knew or had any interest in. He ended up her pity prize because he felt guilty. He has two children that he neglects because he feels nothing for them and the son can actually see this. Every single one of his friends left him. He stopped caring about the people that made him who he is and forgot what he promised.

He's nothing more than Hinata's toy.

This great hero ended up the worst loser in history. That's really what this cover shows. He's currently living a life of regret, misery, loneliness and sadness. It's empty. Naruto Uzumaki is Dead.

Rest In Peace Naruto.

Edited by Nostradamus, 20 January 2015 - 01:20 PM.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#38 Aizen-Sama

Aizen-Sama

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:22 AM

A boring cover but at least it's not NH again. :D We can't even see Nardo's face lol. It looks like it came straight from the infinite tsukiyomi. The setting is just weird and isolated.

#39 Narufan85

Narufan85

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

I hate it.

Outstanding.

That one is my favorite. And it's my favorite because that sense of recognition from his friends is what I so desperately wanted to see in the final chapter of Naruto. Not the pairings, not the kids, not a grumpy Naruto. A cheerful sense of accomplishment.

#40 Suigetsu

Suigetsu

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

Imo this should had been the final cover, but considering how the manga end I guess it would had been out of character.

432399.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users