85 replies to this topic

#1 naruto-z

naruto-z

The Dream Is Real

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:11 AM

I am currently doing this without the permission of Narunarunaru, however she/he has offered to help translate certain "details" in the manga in the forums. Therefore, I am going to take a risk and finally create this translation thread that we had discussed all soooo long again. I can already hypothesize that this thread may go crazy so please, everyone:

1. Refrain from repeating the same questions
2. Stick to details, certain lines...no one wants to translate an entire chapter
3. Be polite, we currently only have one official Japanese member
4. Continue thanking our esteemed translator

Our Formal Translator: Narunarunaru

*However most importantly, please be respectful. I know we all want the best translations as possible,
but it will take time and patience. Translating languages is very difficult and is not always perfect.

Edited by naruto-z, 15 October 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#2 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:57 AM

This was actually Gravenimage's question, but I went through the trouble of posting it on the 558 thread, so I might as well post in the "Official" Translations Thread now that someone was ambitious enough to open it. I believe this has been discussed several times on this forum, but it seems like a good way to start off the thread.

It is a lot to translate, LOL. I'm not sure if Graven wants a certain scene translated, but I think these two pages caused a bit of stress in this fandom.
Sakura loves...NOOOOO!!!! --Click here to view--
I guess this has been discussed for a while, but I am curious, when Sai mentions Sakura being in love with Sasuke, if he is speaking in the past tense or the present. All the official translated versions I've seen use the present tense, so it'd be nice to see that confirmed one way or another.

But I guess this is off-topic, so I can move this post to another thread if it's more convenient.

Thanks in advance to narunarunaru and whoever else wants to be an official H & E translator (LOL, I feel like we just nominated narunarunaru without their permission), and thanks to naruto-z for opening the thread.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 13 October 2011 - 03:59 AM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#3 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

The only problem with this is that we can't use these translations in debates because...let's face it, these translations are on a NaruSaku site.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#4 naruto-z

naruto-z

The Dream Is Real

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Oct 13 2011, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem with this is that we can't use these translations in debates because...let's face it, these translations are on a NaruSaku site.

Well for that very reason, we're trying to be the best that we can be in being unbiased. It's our goal!

And it looks like we have officially gotten a go from Narunarunaru!
And I quote:
Oh no worries! I'm going to be really busy from later in October so there would be some limitations in how much I can translate but I'll try my best^^

Edited by naruto-z, 14 October 2011 - 01:48 AM.

#5 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 13 2011, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was actually Gravenimage's question, but I went through the trouble of posting it on the 558 thread, so I might as well post in the "Official" Translations Thread now that someone was ambitious enough to open it. I believe this has been discussed several times on this forum, but it seems like a good way to start off the thread.

Thanks in advance to narunarunaru and whoever else wants to be an official H & E translator (LOL, I feel like we just nominated narunarunaru without their permission), and thanks to naruto-z for opening the thread.

Here I come laugh.gif
-Flashback-
Sai: Please don't shoulder everything by yourself. I am team seven too and everyone is also....
Sakura: Ah...yeah....
Thanks Sai. I think so too.
-Flashback ends-

Sai: Sakura said she will cooperate with everyone smiling. But this time I was able to figure out that was a fake smile.
Naruto: It can't be....For Sakura to...that kind of thing....Sakura-chan....about Sasuke so much....
Sai: Because, she really likes him she can not stand by watching Sasuke descend into darkness. Because she likes him she wants to save him from the evil path. Even if that method is to kill the one you like by your own hands, that is her way of resolve as a person who likes Sasuke.

Translation note:
大好き is the word I translated to "really like" here. But it's translated to "love" in Hinata's confession. And it's translated to "like" when Sai tells Sakura about Naruto's feelings. I do think "really like" is more appropriate but maybe this is a matter of opinion. To me, love is 愛, and like is 好き. I wish there were other Japanese people here so I could compare our theories in how we translate. Also, I'm not really good in English.

When Naruto thinks, "Sakura-chan....about Sasuke so much...." This may confuse people but Japanese think of the verb last in a sentence so that is why it comes off weird when translated in English.
Another example of this is when Sakura thinks, "Hinata....about Naruto...." In that raw, Sakura never mentioned the word "love." So translators have to assume the verb that comes at the end of the sentence and put that in translation.

Edited by narunarunaru, 14 October 2011 - 01:52 AM.

268702-181926-kaworu-nagisa.jpg

#6 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:57 AM

Okay, can you translate 504 pg 11?

#7 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for your input! So basically the same word was used during Hinata's confession, Sai informing Sakura of Naruto's feelings, and this scene as well? I've read that there are multiple words for love in Japanese, was the Romanji word 'suki' the word that was used in these three cases, or was it something else?
I'm not quite sure why they would use 'love' in certain translations, and 'like' in others, though perhaps the emotions involved in the scenes play a role (Hinata preparing to sacrifice herself, Sai showing serious emotion for the first time, etc.).

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Oct 13 2011, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because she likes him she wants to save him from the evil path. Even if that method is to kill the one you like by your own hands, that is her way of resolve as a person who likes Sasuke.

I'm not sure if this a dumb question or not, but was Sai speaking in the present tense when he was talking about Sakura loving/liking Sasuke? I've heard somewhere, probably on this site, that Sai was speaking in the past tense (loved Sasuke/liked Sasuke) when he made that speech, due to him opening the conversation in past tense, or something. I guess I'm pretty ignorant as far as the Japanese language goes, so I'm a little curious as to if he really was speaking in present tense.

@Insurrection: Is that Kushina's "find a girl..." speech? Because I'm actually curious about that too, since the Viz Translation was a little different. I'll try and find a raw page to make things easier.
I might be wrong, but I assume you're curious about Kushina's comment in the lower left panel. If not, my bad, but I'm curious about what she actually said anyway.
@narunaru: Sorry if I'm bringing too much up at once, you don't need to feel obligated to translate it right away. Thanks again for participating in this thread, though! happy.gif

Edited by Boom...Winning, 14 October 2011 - 02:16 AM.

#8 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Oct 14 2011, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, can you translate 504 pg 11?

Okie biggrin.gif

Kushina: Don't be picky....eat a lot...and become big!
Bath... everyday...and make yourself warm and....don't stay up late....and sleep a lot!!
And then...make friends...it doesn't have to be many...! Friends you can really trust...having only a few is enough!

And...I was bad at studying but...do your studies and ninjutsu...!
But everybody has their prosperity and weakness....so...even if...you can't do well....you don't have to get disappointed...
At the academy....respect your teachers and seniors....!

Ah....and this is important....About the three vices of Shinobi....especially beware of lending and borrowing of money....
Remember to save your money you get on missions....
And alcohol is after 20....if you drink too much it's unhealthy....so keep it low....
And the problem with the three vices is...."woman".....
I'm a woman so I don't really know....but anyways....in this world there are only men and women....So you'll eventually be interested in woman....but don't be hooked to a weird one....! Find somebody like your...mother....!

#9 Fliss

Fliss

stfu

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Oct 13 2011, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okie biggrin.gif

Bath... everyday...and make yourself warm and....don't stay up late....and sleep a lot!!
And then...make friends...it doesn't have to be many...! Friends you can really trust...having only a few is enough!

But everybody has their prosperity and weakness....so...even if...you can't do well....you don't have to get disappointed...

Ah....and this is important....About the three vices of Shinobi....especially beware of lending and borrowing of money....
And alcohol is after 20....if you drink too much it's unhealthy....so keep it low....
I'm a woman so I don't really know....but anyways....in this world there are only men and women....So you'll eventually be interested in woman....but don't be hooked to a weird one....! Find somebody like your...mother....!

You are so FABULOUS! Seriously, many thanks from us <3
It's so nice to clear these things up...mistranslations can be the worst.

And it's great to know the 'find someone like your mother' was exactly what she said pictureem0.gif

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

#10 Amy-chan

Amy-chan

Blonde Gamer

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Animals

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:16 AM

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Oct 13 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okie biggrin.gif

Hmmm thats very interesting. Thanks for the great translation narunarunaru.

@Boom: Can you tell me where you get the raws ive been searching forever. You would be a great help.

Edited by Amy-chan, 14 October 2011 - 02:18 AM.

#11 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:19 AM

And thank you guys for your "thanks". It really makes me feel good that I'm doing something to help somebody biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Oct 14 2011, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your input! So basically the same word was used during Hinata's confession, Sai informing Sakura of Naruto's feelings, and this scene as well? I've read that there are multiple words for love in Japanese, was the Romanji word 'suki' the word that was used in these three cases, or was it something else?
I'm not quite sure why they would use 'love' in certain translations, and 'like' in others, though perhaps the emotions involved in the scenes play a role (Hinata preparing to sacrifice herself, Sai showing serious emotion for the first time, etc.).

I'm not sure if this a dumb question or not, but was Sai speaking in the present tense when he was talking about Sakura loving/liking Sasuke? I've heard somewhere, probably on this site, that Sai was speaking in the past tense (loved Sasuke/liked Sasuke) when he make that speech, due to him opening the conversation in past tense, or something. I guess I'm pretty ignorant as far as the Japanese language goes, so I'm a little curious as to if he really was speaking in present tense.

@Insurrection: Is that Kushina's "find a girl..." speech? Because I'm actually curious about that too, since the Viz Translation was a little different. I'll try and find a raw page to make things easier.

Yes the word used was "suki" in all of them. In Hinata's confession and Sai speaking about Sakura's feelings, the term used was "daisuki". "Dai-" means big. Probably in French you would translate it to j'aime beaucoup. I translated it to "really like" because, if I translate it to "big like" it'll be weird tongue.gif When, Sai told Sakura about Naruto's feelings, he used "hontouni suki". "Hontouni" means "really" so the direct translation will be "really like" which I used.

And as for whether Sai was speaking in present tense or past tense I'd say past till present. I mean like "since". So she still loves/likes him. As for the parts where he used "because she likes him...." that was present tense.
QUOTE (SakuraUzumaki417 @ Oct 14 2011, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Holy crap. Your amazing! wow.png a_squish.gif a_hug.gif Thanks for clearing that up! It's really helpful when it comes to pairings, characters and stuff like that. So it was a translation error all along.... I knew something was fishy about it. pictureem0.gif

Nope it wasn't translation error. Their translation wasn't really wrong because "daisuki" can still be interpreted as love for some people. What I don't get is why Naruto's feelings for Sakura is translated to "like", when Sakura's feelings for Sasuke and Hinata's feelings for Naruto are translated to "love". The translation is not wrong, but it's inconsistent.

Edited by narunarunaru, 14 October 2011 - 02:23 AM.

#12 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:34 AM

QUOTE (Amy-chan @ Oct 13 2011, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@Boom: Can you tell me where you get the raws ive been searching forever. You would be a great help.

There might be better versions out there, but I found them on Narutoverse. It's also where I download the anime episodes, since I'm kind of picky about quality, and I'm not a big fan of streaming videos on my crappy internet connection (I'm not trying to promote illegal downloading or anything, I just prefer it over streaming when it comes to shows I really like). Anyways, the manga chapters are always posted on the site in different variations, and the International Raw version is usually last one posted. It might be hard to navigate the site at first, so I'll just post the link to the Online Viewer.
Narutoverse Online Manga Viewer - Raw

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Oct 13 2011, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And as for whether Sai was speaking in present tense or past tense I'd say past till present. I mean like "since". So she still loves/likes him.

Ahh, I see, I guess that makes sense, since the subtitled anime was translated the same way.

I have a few more pages in which I'm curious about the actual translation, but I'm too tired to post them right now. I'll bring up something new later. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Boom...Winning, 14 October 2011 - 02:36 AM.

#13 Amy-chan

Amy-chan

Blonde Gamer

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Animals

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:38 AM

Thanks Boom that's a big help. smile.gif

#14 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Oct 13 2011, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okie biggrin.gif

So you'll eventually be interested in woman....but don't be hooked to a weird one....! Find somebody like your...mother....!

Can you be more define for me? Hooked as in "fall for a weird one". Actually says weird correct? Just want to double check.

Edited by Insurrection, 14 October 2011 - 02:49 AM.

#15 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Oct 14 2011, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can you be more define for me? Hooked is in fall for a weird one. Actually says weird correct? Just want to double check.

Oh yeah "fall" is the better term. I couldn't think of the term in English so I used "hooked" but yeah, now to think about it "fall" is a better term. And yes it actually says weird. 変な(henna) means weird.

So it would be "Don't fall for a weird one."

#16 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Oct 13 2011, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah "fall" is the better term. I couldn't think of the term in English so I used "hooked" but yeah, now to think about it "fall" is a better term. And yes it actually says weird. 変な(henna) means weird.

So it would be "Don't fall for a weird one."

Okay, that's what I was looking for thanks.

#17 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

Thanks for clearing everything out narunarunaru you're awesome
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#18 naruto-z

naruto-z

The Dream Is Real

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

@Narunarunaru

Your english is perfectly amazing! Your use of language does not at all show that you are in fact Japanese.
Don't worry at all, I think you're doing great!

#19 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:roses are red, dark clouds are grey.... the rumour come out: does jumin han is gay?

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:19 AM

Oh naru-san you are our saviour 8D

Argh, this is why I'm considering taking Japanese language lessons D: (I've been learning since first grade... well at least up until my stupid, stupid primary school decided to make us learn Italian in fifth grade onwards... DX<)

JA2DBzd.png

#20 CaramelMiki

CaramelMiki

PONPONうぇいうぇいう

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:25 AM

Lol too bad I can only read hiragana, katakana and a little bit of kanji lol >__<

Thanks for the translations narunarunaru ^^
narusaku128.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users