• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:30 AM

Like the title says rate the last Album you listened to.

As the first example I've been listening to Gorillaz alot lately, partially because of the whole scare from April that Hewlett and Alburn were through and partially because I love their music so much. Well....most of it anyway.

Gorillaz (Self-Titled) (2001): 8/10
Favorite Track(s): Clint Eastwood, Re-Hash, 19-2000 (Original and Remix), Dracula, 5/4, Rock Tha House
Least Favorite Track(s): Don't really have one just the others aren't memorable.

Gorillaz: Demon Days (2005): 10/10
Favorite Track(s): Feel Good Inc., Dare, El Manana, Dirty Harry, Fire Coming Out Of The Monkey's Head (RIP Dennis Hopper), Kids With Guns
Least Favorite Track(s): White Light, the only bleak spot on an otherwise perfect Album.

Gorillaz: Plastic Beach (2010): 7/10
Favorite Track(s): On Melancholy Hill, Superfast Jellyfish, Stylo, Rhinestone Eyes, Broken, Empire Ants, Doncamatic
Least Favorite Track(s): None were really bad just unmemorable and the album was kind of a letdown after the near masterpiece that Demon Days was.

Gorillaz: The Fall (2010): 3/10
Favorite Track(s): ....Phoner To Arizona is ok I guess.
Least Favorite Track(s): Every other song, this album sucks. I understand it was an experiment but experimentation isn't always good. The fact that this could've been the last Gorillaz album is a travesty.

Edited by Edward Uzumaki, 28 May 2012 - 01:36 AM.

uc.png

#2 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

At the Edge of Time by Blind Guardian - 9/10

It blew me away, then dragged me back and beat me down some more. And I loved every kittening second of it.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 21 December 2012 - 09:01 AM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#3 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

Loving hockey games and Hard Rock Music

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Interests:Reading forums, and listening to hard rock/alt rock music.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:32 AM

Apocalyptic Love by Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators. 8/10. Its some solid stuff from I expect out of Slash and Myles, for me, Anastasia and Crazy Life are the highlights in this one.

Edited by Anguyen92, 28 May 2012 - 04:36 AM.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#4 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ May 27 2012, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the Edge of Time by Blind Guardian - 10/10

It blew me away, then dragged me back and beat me down some more. And I loved every kittening second of it.

Agreed Blind Guardian is one of the best power metal bands from Germany, you should listen to Iron Savior, Freedom Call and Gamma Ray they will blow you away too. As for Blind Guardian I recommend that you listen to their 1998 album Nightfall in the middle earth just as the title says, listening to the album its like watching the entire LOTR saga. Afterwards you can listen to A night at the opera (2003) and A twist in the myth (2006).

Anyway for my album reviews.

Fire from the sky by Shadows Fall !10/10- this album is hardcore awesome, its the best album of the band yet. With their usual smooth beat and heavy sound and vocals. Once again they proved they are one of the best heavy metal bands from North America . Brian Fair's vocals are still the best along Jonathan Donais fast guitar riffs and Jason Bitner's fast drumming and double pedals. Favorite songs are The Unknown, Divide and Conquer, Save your soul and Lost within. Any Shadows Fall fan will buy this album.

Freedom Call Land of the Crimson Dawn 10/10- once again German power metal band Freedom Call has done it with their latest release. The album is what any fan of their music would expect. Clean vocals, filled with melodic choruses and sound. Filled with magic with smooth guitar riffs, not to mention like their previous album "Legend of the Shadowking" they add some American classic rock sound to some songs like Rock stars and rocking radio. Buy the album that's my recommendation. I can't say which songs are my favorites because I love the entire album.

Dragonforce The power within 9/10- I still don't understand why fans are whining that this album is not good. It has the same fast pace sound with some new style, like the power ballad Cry thunder and seasons. Or maybe those fans are ZP's rabid fans still not happy that he left the band. Their new singer Marc Hudson has proven that he has what it takes to be the band's new frontman, but to me he's an even better replacement than ZP Theart. Good album favorite songs are Fallen world, Cry thunder, seasons and Heart of the storm.

Lacuna Coil Dark Adrenaline 10/10- nothing to say just listen to the album it kicks ass.

Van Halen a different kind of truth 10/10- quite honestly it was about damn time they release a studio album since it's been more than seven years since they have done so. I love the album as always David Lee Roth shows he still hasn't lost his touch since he started with the band in the late 70's. It's just like any regular album with Dave, pure awesomeness with Eddie always bringing his killer riffs, Alex bringing the cool drumming and Wolfgang Van Halen with his pounding bass. Any Halen fan will love this album you will listen to it over and over again.

Edited by Gravenimage, 28 May 2012 - 05:01 PM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#5 Amy-chan

Amy-chan

Blonde Gamer

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Animals

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:53 AM

City Of Evil by Avenged Sevenfold I give it a 9.5/10

My favorite song on this album would have to be The Wicked End and Blinded In Chains as a close 2nd, i've been a fan of Avenged Sevenfold for awhile now and even though some of my friends look at me funny for listening to this genre I don't care cause it's some really good music and it calms me down.

Edited by Amy-chan, 29 May 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#6 Burning_Wulf

Burning_Wulf

Just your friendly, neighborhood zombie hunter.

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Wolves, Anime/Manga, Rx7, NaruSaku, Timeoff work, Sleeping, Comics, Napping, Cats, Resting, Skeet, and Racing plus too much more....

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

The Lost Children album, by Disturbed- 9.5/10

This album was a great last ,hell yeah, while they are on hiatus. Which I'm sadden by, give them 3-5 yrs at most and they'll be back. Even though this album is mostly b-side tracks, it still is a really great album. I jam out to track Hell almost everyday.

coco_zps31bec3d3.jpg

#7 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

Break this Spell by Daughtry. 7.5/10. They got some really deep songs here.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#8 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:26 AM

Sonata Arctica Stones grow her name 9/10- another masterpiece from the Finish power metal band, I love all of Sonata's work Tony Kakko is truly an amazing composer and writer.

Firewind few against many 10/10- pure massive adrenaline all the way from Greece Gus G is one of the best guitarist in power metal. He's right now playing for Ozzy on tour.

Edited by Gravenimage, 10 June 2012 - 12:27 AM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#9 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:37 AM

Mark Tremonti's All I Was. Some pretty great stuff from the lead guitarist of Alter Bridge and Creed. 8.5/10. There are great guitar work and solos as most people can expect from Tremonti, and hey his vocals were pretty damn good as well, not as good as the vocals for his main bands, but better than what people could expect.

You Waste Your Time, New Way Out, Leave it Alone, and So You're Afraid are good starts to look at.

Edited by Anguyen92, 28 July 2012 - 01:42 AM.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#10 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

Two albums here, both by the same artist.

Epica by Kamelot
The Black Halo by Kamelot

Both get a 10/10. I'd give them 11/10, if possible.

These two albums are both concept albums that tell a story, one story. Epica starts it, and The Black Halo finishes it. And every second of it is breathtaking. I won't go into any detail about the story because it's infinitely more rewarding to experience it yourself.

The music itself is gorgeous, haunting, and just...wonderful. That's what drew me into the albums in the first place. Then, I sat down and read the lyrics straight through and realized just how great these masterpieces are. You heard me: masterpieces.

Just, find these. Listen to these. Every second of them.

AboojTi.gif

#11 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:05 AM

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth. 8/10. Pretty solid stuff. David Lee Roth's voice is pretty same as it was in his first stint with them back in the 80s which is a good sign and Eddie Van Halen's guitar work is good stuff.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#12 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Nov 30 2012, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two albums here, both by the same artist.

Epica by Kamelot
The Black Halo by Kamelot

Both get a 10/10. I'd give them 11/10, if possible.

These two albums are both concept albums that tell a story, one story. Epica starts it, and The Black Halo finishes it. And every second of it is breathtaking. I won't go into any detail about the story because it's infinitely more rewarding to experience it yourself.

The music itself is gorgeous, haunting, and just...wonderful. That's what drew me into the albums in the first place. Then, I sat down and read the lyrics straight through and realized just how great these masterpieces are. You heard me: masterpieces.

Just, find these. Listen to these. Every second of them.

Hope you have listen to Ghost Opera, Poetry for the poisoned and Silverthorn all these albums sound even better than the last two you mentioned.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#13 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

I don't know if this qualifies as an album per say, but this has to be rated.

Celebration Day by Led Zeppelin 9/10. Their first full concert/dvd/live album in about 30 years since their drummer, John Bonham, passed away and to take his place in that concert, in the O2 Arena in London, is his son Jason Bonham. For a bunch old, yet great, men and their drummer's son, they gave it all they got in this live concert, playing their greatest hits amongst others (Stairway, Kashmir, Black Dog, Ramble On, Rock and Roll, etc) as great as it can be.

Edited by Anguyen92, 02 December 2012 - 01:31 AM.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#14 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Dec 1 2012, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope you have listen to Ghost Opera, Poetry for the poisoned and Silverthorn all these albums sound even better than the last two you mentioned.

I've only heard Ghost Opera out of those 3 so far, and I have to say that it itself isn't nearly in the same league as Epica and The Black Halo. There's nothing "bad" about it exactly, it just lacks punch. Plus, Epica/Black Halo have a great story as their backbone while Ghost Opera doesn't.

AboojTi.gif

#15 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

All right, I've spent yesterday night listening to three Skillet albums and one Alter Bridge album and see how they hold up.

Collide - Skillet 7.5/10. I've got into Skillet around 2009-2010 so I never really knew their past from early 2000s and before. This album was different from their next two albums. It had a nu-metal feel to it, since it was probably the rock trend at the time. It's pretty all right. I think Savior and Collide are the songs to recommend though I did not remember most of the title names.

Comatose - Skillet. 8.5/10. Such tremendous stuff, and I think a good reason why I'm into this band was because of their lyrics and how well it connects to my life. Let's see here. Rebirthing, The Older I Get, Say Goodbye, Comatose, Falling Into the Black are the songs to recommend.

Awake - Skillet. 8/10. This is essentially the first album I ever listened when I first heard of them and its all right. Not as good as Comatose but still solid. Hero, Monster, Awake and Alive, Never Surrender, and Lucy are the main highlights for me.

One Day Remains - Alter Bridge. 9/10. Their first album and a great first album and a great foundation to see how Myles Kennedy, Mark Tremonti, Scott Phillips, and Brian Marshall could bring to the table. For me, their later albums have gotten better in terms of defining their sound which shows how great this band is. Their first album is still awesome. I highly recommend Open Your Eyes, Find the Real, In Loving Memory, One Day Remains, and Down to my Last. You shall not be disappointed if you listen to this.

Edited by Anguyen92, 16 December 2012 - 05:01 PM.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#16 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

Ghost Opera by Kamelot - 8/10

This album is a very big grower. You first hear it, it comes across as "not bad". You listen to it again, it becomes "I'll listen to it again". By now, it's become a great album to me. I love it.

That being said, it's still not nearly as good as Epica or The Black Halo, but really, it's damn hard to match those albums in quality. It's very forgivable that it isn't as good as those albums.

Very worth the listen. It isn't a masterpiece like its two predecessors, but it's still a damn good album.

EDIT: Score changed from 9/10 to 8/10 in retrospect.

All I Was by Tremonti - 8/10

Very solid and consistent. Enjoyed it a lot.

Yes, I've posted all glowing reviews of albums on here so far. I've been really lucky with what I've listened to lately haha.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 02 April 2014 - 08:45 PM.

AboojTi.gif

#17 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Sin and Bones by Fozzy - 9/10

This was actually my first full Fozzy album. I'd known about them for a good long while, due to the frontman being WWE legend Chris Jericho, but most of what I'd heard from them were some pretty great covers. It. Is. FanTAStic.

Seriously, if this song doesn't make you a believer, I'm not sure what will. It's the album closer and it's pretty friggin amazing. The way the song changes styles throughout the song to reflect the turn the lyrics take reminds me a lot of Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and Rush's "2112", which is high praise.

The rest of the album's pretty great too, but it certainly saved the best for last.

Edited by dl316bh, 28 December 2012 - 12:53 AM.

bd5.jpg

#18 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Poetry for the Poisoned by Kamelot - 8/10

Like Ghost Opera, this album is a huge grower. However, what this album has going against it most is a song that could really be cut ("My Train of Thoughts") and not be very missed at all. Still, a very good album.

EDIT: Score changed from 8.5/10 to 8/10 in retrospect. Also, "My Train of Thoughts" really isn't as bad as I thought it was.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 02 April 2014 - 08:48 PM.

AboojTi.gif

#19 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Dec 27 2012, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sin and Bones by Fozzy - 9/10

This was actually my first full Fozzy album. I'd known about them for a good long while, due to the frontman being WWE legend Chris Jericho, but most of what I'd heard from them were some pretty great covers. It. Is. FanTAStic.

Seriously, if this song doesn't make you a believer, I'm not sure what will. It's the album closer and it's pretty friggin amazing. The way the song changes styles throughout the song to reflect the turn the lyrics take reminds me a lot of Iron Maiden's "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and Rush's "2112", which is high praise.

The rest of the album's pretty great too, but it certainly saved the best for last.

Oh cool, I didn't think anyone else listens to Fozzy. Storm the Beaches is awesome, and this album is pretty decent, but for me, I love Chasing the Grail out of the Fozzy catalog.

Anywho,...

Sound City: Real to Reel Soundtrack - 8.5/10. This is an album that Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters has created using analog equipment from the now non-existent Sound City Studios (studio that created Metallica's Death Magnetic and Nirvana's Nevermind, amongst other great albums). In order to make this album the work the way it is, Grohl has formed a team with some of his bandmates in Foo Fighters and some pretty heavy hitting rock musicians (Corey Taylor (Stone Sour), Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), Paul McCartney, Krist Novoselic (Nirvana), Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age), amongst others).

Overall, this album is rocking man. This album has some soft songs, deep-meaning songs, heavy hitting songs, classic rock-vibe songs, and punk-vibe song. My favorite of the bunch is Cut me Some Slack (Grohl, McCartney, Pat Smear (guitarist for Foo Fighters), Novoselic), From Can to Can't (Grohl, Taylor, Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick) and, Scott Reeder (Kyuss), and A Trick with No Sleeves (Grohl, Homme, and Alain Johannes).

This is a pretty good album and shows what the spirit of rock music should be.

Edited by Anguyen92, 07 March 2013 - 06:47 AM.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#20 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Strato Varius Nemesis 10/10

Best album of the band ever even beating their 2010 release Polaris. If you're a fan of the power metal genre you should buy this album it has all the elements of the style.

Helloween Straight out of Hell 9/10

Very good album it's another hit for the band it has a slight mix of their old style from 80's with their new one, it still pretty much acceptable.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users