Language Crackdown

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

By now, you may have noticed the kittens flying all over H&E.   :P

For some time, the mods and I have been concerned about the increasing amount of bad language, and we have decided to take some action.

I know that it's painful and frustrating for everyone to see that Kishimoto is twisting the characters, story, and the very essence of the manga in order to try and justify the ending and the New Era Project.  We do understand what everyone is going through (after all, we're feeling the same way that you are), and we do truly feel that Kishimoto, Shonen Jump, and Studio Pierrot do deserve to be criticised for their questionable decisions.

But continually swearing about it is only going to damage the reputation of our community.  We need to try and keep H&E as an oasis of calm, what with all those other Naruto sites losing their heads.  Foul-mouthed posts will only drive away Naruto/NaruSaku fans who just want to find a peaceful place in the chaotic Naruto fandom.

When the ending happened, we let a lot of profanity slide, because we knew that everyone was shocked and upset at what had happened.  But, as incredible as it seems, it has now been 6 months since Kishimoto's complete twist ending.  So it's time to rebuild our site and work towards making H&E better than ever!

Over the coming weeks/months, we will be working hard to make this community even better, and forge closer ties with the NaruSaku community at large!

As part of this drive, we will be stricter on language.  Not only will we be deploying kittens, we mods will also be cracking down!  Any posts that contain excessive profanity, or any attempts to get around the language filter - such as posting images that contain profanity - will be deemed warn-worthy.  Posts may also be hidden or deleted, and enough warnings will result in a temporary ban.

Again, we are doing this not to punish people, but to try and make H&E a welcoming place to visitors, and it will be part of a whole bunch of improvements I hope to make.   :thumb: 

Thank you for reading!

#2 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:55 PM

I have a question @Smiter, can images and gifs with profanity be used under a proper spoiler tag and a warning?

Edited by Nar123, 11 May 2015 - 08:55 PM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#3 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Does this also affect our own blogs on this site as well?

Say I wanted to vent and I posted in my blog would that still earn me a warning/ban?

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#4 Nilad

Nilad

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:27 PM

:O But swearing is basic human right, censoring is like taking our liberty away!

English isn't my native language

#5 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

:O But swearing is basic human right, censoring is like taking our liberty away!

You should take that basic right, go up to your employer/teacher, and execise these rights and see what happens. :-p

Hopefully I don't end up breaking the rules, while I don't think I swear too much I do tend to become more British the more riled up I get and my language does get a bit more colourful.

Also I have no idea what you are talking about with those kittens. I see no kittens.

Edit: Also while I think it's a good idea about the language, I also think we need to start going back to the old system of moving discussions to a new thread each new chapter, so far every thing most of us (including myself) have ignored the new threads and continued discussing in the Naruto Gaiden thread and that is getting crowded. it's hard for someone to keep up with the multiple topics.

Edited by harry4e, 11 May 2015 - 10:04 PM.

iAnby7W.gif

#6 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:06 AM

It's pretty simple. This is not a state nor is there any kind of state action involved. As Smiter pays for this out of his own pocket he is free to set the conditions for use. He is free permit the users he wants and does not want and under the terms he wants.  If he does not want excessive profanity he can place that as a rule and enforce it. 

#7 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:11 AM

Can some mod answer my question :umm:?

#8 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

I have a question @Smiter, can images and gifs with profanity be used under a proper spoiler tag and a warning?

Can some mod answer my question :umm:?

Smiter already answered your question in his original post:

Any posts that contain excessive profanity, or any attempts to get around the language filter - such as posting images that contain profanity - will be deemed warn-worthy.

So the answer is no, you may not post images containing profanity even if it has a warning and is behind a cut.

#9 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:33 AM

I noticed some amount of profanity used before the ending, just a bit less frequent. Does this apply to any words considered to be profanity, or just vulgar and/or excessive use?
Not that it matters to me since I'm not a big user of it and actually didn't openly use it at all until more recently, just curious.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 12 May 2015 - 09:35 AM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#10 Shadow1275

Shadow1275

Lone Wolf

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,613 posts
  • Interests:I have lots of hobbies..

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:32 AM

Smiter pays the bills therefore he makes the rules.

Though I must respectfully disagree with the censorship too much profanity is indeed unnecessary and I will of course cooperate.

He Who is Brave is Free-Seneca

^I have a lightsaber your argument is invalid^

"You may be called upon yet again to defend the glory of the Republic against the tyranny of the Dark Side. For this, is the destiny, of the Jedi..."

#11 Tokura Misaki

Tokura Misaki

左京さん最推し❤

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:11 AM

I didn't know about the kitten that everyone was talking about until I've found out somewhere in this site lol. (*≧▽≦)ノシ)) I'm late for the news, as usual.

Thanks Smiter. That's so cute. ლ(=ↀωↀ=)ლ

#12 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:12 AM

Wait, the kitten isn't figurative?

eta:

*types in a naughty word then previews*

kitten

Ahaha, I get it now.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 13 May 2015 - 06:13 AM.

~Relient K

#13 Tokura Misaki

Tokura Misaki

左京さん最推し❤

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 06:15 AM

Smiter is indeed a dragonic overlord. Hey, that belongs to my hubby Kai!

#14 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Message recieved. Thank you Smiter for this site! If I have never said this. :D

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#15 archangel

archangel

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:20 AM

Kitten are flying everywhere, man the Kingpin was right about people wanting to know what cat do on the internet lol:P

Yeah if you didn't watched Daredevil series yet, GO WATCH IT NOW.

Edited by archangel, 15 May 2015 - 09:20 AM.

#16 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 12:39 AM

Does this also affect our own blogs on this site as well?

Say I wanted to vent and I posted in my blog would that still earn me a warning/ban?

Sup Leo. Smiter said "excessive profanity" so as long as you don't have too many "kittens" in your posts then you should be fine.

Message recieved. Thank you Smiter for this site! If I have never said this. :D

Pssh. He couldn't of started any of this without me. I've been here since this site just started! (don't look at my "member since" date)

Left Hand to the Future Pirate King

Vinsmoke "Black Leg" Sanji

2XtVwF6.png

#17 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 17 May 2015 - 02:46 AM

Sup Leo. Smiter said "excessive profanity" so as long as you don't have too many "kittens" in your posts then you should be fine.

Pssh. He couldn't of started any of this without me. I've been here since this site just started! (don't look at my "member since" date)

Thanks man! Thought I was gunna be left in the dark!

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#18 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for reading, everyone.  :smile:

I'm sorry that I've been slow with replying, my life has been very busy in the past months due to personal and professional reasons!  But - fingers crossed - hopefully it will be easing up now, and I can gradually spend more time on H&E to read your posts and try to help make it a better site for you all.  :happy:

The kitten filter was inspired by the official forums for a game I like to play; Guild Wars 2!  They are the original creators of the kitten filter, and it was designed to help defuse tensions and make people laugh.  :wink:   We know that sometimes you feel like you just need to let your frustrations out, so the filter enables you to just swear away in your original post, then replace all the bad words with "kitten" so that you don't get in mod trouble or put off people who don't want to read excessive profanity.  Besides, readers can just use their imaginations to substitute the kittens with bad words if they so wish.  :P

I know that some of you are concerned about not being able to publicly swear, but we do need to try and keep a friendly atmosphere in this place.  After all, we are a public forum.

Hanabi suggested replacing kitten with Naruto phrases such as shannaro and dattebayo, which I think is a great idea.  :lol:   Maybe we can periodically change the words in the filter to keep things fresh?

#19 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hanabi suggested replacing kitten with Naruto phrases such as shannaro and dattebayo

Please...have mercy 

#20 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

Or you could replace it with "BELIEVE IT!" just to be evil.

~Relient K

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users