#1 Yoshimoya

Yoshimoya

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:animeee :D manga :D tennis :D life :D

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:25 AM

And let me tell you... I read about 10 pages and then looked up on the internet whether ARYA and ERAGON ended up together and guess what.... NOPE! I've never felt so betrayed by a book. Thank god I invested my attachment and emotions into other couples. But man, I invested into ARYA and ERAGON almost as much as Naruto and sakura. Maybe even more. I'm really depressed right now guiseee... haha sad.gif so sad....

Has anyone attacked Christopher paolinifails yet? How could he do this to us.

Honestly it was the SOLE REASON I READ AND WAITED FOR THE DAMN BOOK. IT WOULDVE BEEN AN EPIC ROMANCE.

Is this how well feel if narusaku doesn't happen? 0.0 I fear for the future....

^Adam Couple. KPOP couple <3 google them! They're like an anime couple I swear to God. Watch their show. PM me for link :]

#2 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I invested my time into them too before I found NaruSaku. Now I know what not to buy anymore. And Kishi is not Christopher so don't worry too much.

Spoiler...MAJOR spoiler. But it may make you feel better about the end --Click here to view--
This got me curious so I did some digging. Apparently they confessed their feelings for one another in some fashion, but he had to leave the continent. But as Arya is the new rider and queen of the elves that doesn't mean that they can't foster that relationship post series. It's canon still. I hope that helps.

Edited by TheOmegaMan, 09 November 2011 - 08:13 AM.

75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#3 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

Whaaat?! I'm so glad I read only the first and half of the second book otherwise I would be crying like mad right now! I was thinking of reading the whole series but now I won't. Nothing makes me mad like a wasted romance.

#4 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

... Honestly? It's not that bad that it didn't happen. If it makes you not buy/read the book, then I'm sorry, but you're not a true Inheritance fan.

To be honest, I was never sure if they'd end up together or not. It seemed to go back and forth with them. I read Inheritance and will buy the fourth book because the story is damn good.

NaruSaku seems to have way more development under its belt than EragArya. Seriously, if the pairing not happening keeps you from reading it, have fun missing out on the conclusion to the story because you're throwing a kittenfit.

Not trying to bash, that's simply what's happening is all.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 09 November 2011 - 01:56 PM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#5 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Nov 9 2011, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Honestly? It's not that bad that it didn't happen. If it makes you not buy/read the book, then I'm sorry, but you're not a true Inheritance fan.

To be honest, I was never sure if they'd end up together or not. It seemed to go back and forth with them. I read Inheritance and will buy the fourth book because the story is damn good.

NaruSaku seems to have way more development under its belt than EragArya. Seriously, if the pairing not happening keeps you from reading it, have fun missing out on the conclusion to the story because you're throwing a kittenfit.

LOL. rolleyes.gif Yeah I'm not really an Inheritance fan. The writing is childish, the plot is contrived, Eragon is borderline Gary Stu and is one of the most boring protagonists I have ever read, the setting is cliched and the romance was one of it's saving graces.

As for your bashing, which is what you're doing so don't deny it. People read things and interpret them differently. You say NaruSaku had more development than EragArya, but that's not the case. They had about the same, relatively speaking when you compare how one has almost 600 chapters and the other has only 4 books. So refrain from using your immature definition of what makes a "true" fan because you have no right to declare who is and who isn't.

#6 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (TheOmegaMan @ Nov 9 2011, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL. rolleyes.gif Yeah I'm not really an Inheritance fan. The writing is childish, the plot is contrived, Eragon is borderline Gary Stu and is one of the most boring protagonists I have ever read, the setting is cliched and the romance was one of it's saving graces.

As for your bashing, which is what you're doing so don't deny it. People read things and interpret them differently. You say NaruSaku had more development than EragArya, but that's not the case. They had about the same, relatively speaking when you compare how one has almost 600 chapters and the other has only 4 books. So refrain from using your immature definition of what makes a "true" fan because you have no right to declare who is and who isn't.

Tell me, how is the writing childish? I won't deny the part about Eragon being a stu...but I don't read it for Eragon, really. Same way I don't watch Bleach because of Ichigo (who is a major stu also). As for the plot... I'll get back to you on that after I look up "contrived" (embarrassing that I don't know what it means, yeah, I know, laugh it up if you will).

Really, if you only paid attention to it because of a possible romantic aspect that wasn't a major part of the story and events (it was significant, yeah, but not as important as, let's say, the Eldunari), then how are you a true fan? Are you saying that to be a "true" fan, you just have to like one single aspect of it?

And if saying "kittenfit" is bashing, then I'm guilty as charged rolleyes.gif

Edit: Ok, now that I know what "contrived" means:
Of course the story is planned and artificial. It's fiction mellow.gif What would you expect? An unplanned, real life story from something that's obviously fantasy fiction? Plus, an unplanned story would be just plain terrible. Stories have to be planned out; that's pretty common sense.

As for the devlopment part... Let's see. I hate to ask you for something so substantial, and I'd understand if you choose not to type it all, but what is thr development between them exactly (that's mutual, by the way)?

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 09 November 2011 - 10:05 PM.

AboojTi.gif

#7 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Nov 9 2011, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tell me, how is the writing childish? I won't deny the part about Eragon being a stu...but I don't read it for Eragon, really. Same way I don't watch Bleach because of Ichigo (who is a major stu also). As for the plot... I'll get back to you on that after I look up "contrived" (embarrassing that I don't know what it means, yeah, I know, laugh it up if you will).

Really, if you only paid attention to it because of a possible romantic aspect that wasn't a major part of the story and events (it was significant, yeah, but not as important as, let's say, the Eldunari), then how are you a true fan? Are you saying that to be a "true" fan, you just have to like one single aspect of it?

And if saying "kittenfit" is bashing, then I'm guilty as charged rolleyes.gif

Edit: Ok, now that I know what "contrived" means:
Of course the story is planned and artificial. It's fiction mellow.gif What would you expect? An unplanned, real life story from something that's obviously fantasy fiction? Plus, an unplanned story would be just plain terrible. Stories have to be planned out; that's pretty common sense.

As for the devlopment part... Let's see. I hate to ask you for something so substantial, and I'd understand if you choose not to type it all, but what is thr development between them exactly (that's mutual, by the way)?

Well stories that feel contrived as opposed to feeling natural are two completely different things. They are planned, but you can tell when it's contrived or not. Ask another writer/reader on the sight.

As for the development part. I hope the, "I hate to ask you for something so substantial." Is not a shot at me. Anyway I'l get you development quotes if you would like. Just let me have some time to compile it if you will.

Now to address pre-edit. I wasn't paying attention to a possible romance, I was paying attention to a very hinted at romance. Hell half of the 2nd book was him and Arya going through what seemed like teenage angst, about Eragon liking one another. Anyway, because I'm assuming you haven't read my spoiler post. I would like to inform you that the OP I think mis interpreted the summary of the story. Things didn't work out picture perfect, but they worked out well enough.

Edited by TheOmegaMan, 09 November 2011 - 10:55 PM.

#8 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (TheOmegaMan @ Nov 9 2011, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well stories that feel contrived as opposed to feeling natural are two completely different things. They are planned, but you can tell when it's contrived or not. Ask another writer/reader on the sight.

As for the development part. I hope the, "I hate to ask you for something so substantial." Is not a shot at me. Anyway I'l get you development quotes if you would like. Just let me have some time to compile it if you will.

Now to address pre-edit. I wasn't paying attention to a possible romance, I was paying attention to a very hinted at romance. Hell half of the 2nd book was him and Arya going through what seemed like teenage angst, about Eragon liking one another. Anyway, because I'm assuming you haven't read my spoiler post. I would like to inform you that the OP I think mis interpreted the summary of the story. Things didn't work out picture perfect, but they worked out well enough.

Alright, I'll do that.

And no, that was by no means an intended insult huh.gif I apologize if it came across as one. As for the quotes, I would appreciate it if you did so. I can wait, no rush.

Yeah, the second book did address Eragon's side of it...but, from what I saw, Arya didn't give nearly as much back on her part. Maybe I missed something there?

I didn't read your spoiler, you're right about that. And alright, that makes sense.

Still, why do you claim that the writing is childish? His style is childish, you mean? Or what?

AboojTi.gif

#9 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Nov 9 2011, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still, why do you claim that the writing is childish? His style is childish, you mean? Or what?

Personally, I think his sentence structure doesn't flow, and it's kinda choppy to me. Is really what I meant by that.

#10 Yoshimoya

Yoshimoya

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Nov 9 2011, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My kittenfit is justified because i buy books for what i want without giving a damn what others think. honestly the story was good in eragon, but awesome conclusion? hah naw. nothing. its back to as it was before save for there being a few more dragon and eggs than it turned out there'd be. galbatorix is dead, woopie. thats it.

don't deem me a "non true fan" of something cause who gave you the right or even power to deem whos a fan and whos not? yourself, which doesnt really matter to me. i am definitely not a fan of inheritance the book but the 1st book i loved, 2nd book was intense, and 3rd book was okay.

i spent my time reading those books for a long time especially since i was in 6th grade, and some stranger calling me a "not a true inheritance fan" plain bs.
eragon arya had development im not even comparing to narusaku. i just mentioned narusaku cause its an example of a couple that i care about just as much as ergarya.

have fun missing out on the conclusion? LOL. if u hadnt noticed i already read it. have fun reading this post and figuring out what an idiot you were for posting that.

some mod is gonna come in and tell us to calm down. sorry guys. i am. i just cant tolerate some stuff without saying nothing haha.

and your statement as narusaku having way more development than eragonxarya. HAH how false is that... they've both been subtle in their own way. but brisingr had a lot of moments on aryas side. you can tell she was warming up to him. it was analyzed in some other website, but i dont wanna bother finding it and posting it again. in other words, dont bother comparing the two developments because they're both great and awesome in my opinion. peace out.

Edited by Yoshimoya, 10 November 2011 - 12:33 AM.

^Adam Couple. KPOP couple <3 google them! They're like an anime couple I swear to God. Watch their show. PM me for link :]

#11 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

some mod is gonna come in and tell us to calm down. sorry guys. i am. i just cant tolerate some stuff without saying nothing haha.

And no one is asking you to do that.

What we do ask is that people (and I'm not singling you out, this applies to everyone) in this thread stop saying "kitten fit" and pitching boarder-line hissy-fits.

#12 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

Ah, it ended? I was wondering about this story. Not sure if I will decide to read it since I got bored halfway through the third book. Which, is a shame, I loved the first book so much. I think I got bored with Eragon after he became uber elf-hybrid man. He lost his humanity, sort of, which made him less relatable for me. As far as him being with Arya, I think I actually prefer that. In a way, I didn't want them to get together, because it was like that last bit of humanity (that unrequited love) that reserved a bit of my empathy for him. And Arya's, I don't know, continued respect for her past love...was one thing I liked about her. I liked her being more so the older, wiser woman to Eragon rather than them being necessarily equals. I don't know XD Like I said, loved the first book, but Gary-Stu Eragon just got boring after awhile.

#13 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

Not a reader of that series, but it just sounds par for the course for western popular fiction. (except for the romance genre) It gets really tiresome after reading the same unresolved romantic plotline over and over because in the west actually positively resolving the romantic plotline is seen as "uncool" It's "cool and edgy" to leave it hanging. rolleyes.gif This is what turned me off the majority of western popular fiction some time ago, and made me an enthusiastic reader of manga- the overwhelming majority of post 1970's manga series resolved the romantic plotline in some positive fashion.

I have had conversations with western writers on why they follow this pattern, and got from one the above answer that they thought it made them look more cool and edgy to leave it hanging, another said they "just didn't want to write some mushy scene", four others responded along the lines "if I get them together the story is over..." (To which I responded- and what's wrong with ending the story? Plus it's not the end, it's just the beginning of a new evolution of the characters. What I find ironic is that all four were married, and I made that point- was your marriage the end of your life or the beginning of something new... Funnily enough, none could refute that it was the beginning of something new. With two I made the point that I, as a fanfic writer, and unmarried no less, was easily able to work from that perspective- the beginning of something new. If I, as a mere fanfic writer could do so, then a professional writer, who was married should find it a breeze (writing what you know...)
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#14 Yoshimoya

Yoshimoya

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Nov 10 2011, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not a reader of that series, but it just sounds par for the course for western popular fiction. (except for the romance genre) It gets really tiresome after reading the same unresolved romantic plotline over and over because in the west actually positively resolving the romantic plotline is seen as "uncool" It's "cool and edgy" to leave it hanging. rolleyes.gif This is what turned me off the majority of western popular fiction some time ago, and made me an enthusiastic reader of manga- the overwhelming majority of post 1970's manga series resolved the romantic plotline in some positive fashion.

I have had conversations with western writers on why they follow this pattern, and got from one the above answer that they thought it made them look more cool and edgy to leave it hanging, another said they "just didn't want to write some mushy scene", four others responded along the lines "if I get them together the story is over..." (To which I responded- and what's wrong with ending the story? Plus it's not the end, it's just the beginning of a new evolution of the characters. What I find ironic is that all four were married, and I made that point- was your marriage the end of your life or the beginning of something new... Funnily enough, none could refute that it was the beginning of something new. With two I made the point that I, as a fanfic writer, and unmarried no less, was easily able to work from that perspective- the beginning of something new. If I, as a mere fanfic writer could do so, then a professional writer, who was married should find it a breeze (writing what you know...)

Wow interesting piece of information there thanks! Western writers are ignorant id*ots then.... wow. They needa read or watch some manga/anime and see how charming, beautiful, and breathtaking a romance can be with it being solved in a positive notion and maybe even halfway or in the beginning of the story. I can back up my statement with PLENTY of awesome anime/manga. BUT that's there problem, that's why you don't see me reading their books or watching their movies often. The one time i decided to invest my time into a westerner book it failed me... "inheritance" sigh... oh well.

#15 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

Not ignorant persay, buit caught up in cultrual norms and expectations of what they think people will find cool. you see it in hollywoodized romances all the time, and similar tropes that are used to justify such stories.

The OMG we can never be more then friendzorz !!! zomgwtfbbqLOLLOL why?? why cant we as two mature adaults explore our obvious feelings for ourselves after it becomes plainly obvious we have them?, It happens so often that it becomes cliched.

Ive found that for some reason many writers, even ones that are married, seem unable towrite a mature couple in a relationship without throwing some type of king kong sized monkey wrench. HEll they took one of the best realtionships out there Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson and literlay edited their marriage out of existence by having Peter make a completely out of character deal with the devil.

The writers excuse? If peter is married hes happy, and peter parker cant be happy he has to be miserable and lonely. It also is a western trope--and sometimes tripe-- that the handsome character gets the girl, the non handsome character gets the less pretty shy person who quietly supports them from the sidelines. what? you didnt know I was alway there for you? OMG!! hence the orgin and only reason a certain other pairing has been sustained.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#16 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

First off, I've not read the books as a whole, however I've seen the movie and I'm familiar with the plot. As for the books, I've read excerpts of it, both giving examples of his best and worst writing.

So, knowing that he put in traditional plot points for the genre, I wonder if the effort to separate the main characters at the end, after there was relationship development, reflects his attempt to give more weight to the story by breaking with the formulaic pattern at the end.

I also wonder if it could be the change in age/maturity of the author from when he began writing until he finished. He began it at age 15. It's easy to imagine his views on love have changed from age 15 to age 25, when the last book was finished.

I thought the film was good, the casting was very good and the story interesting, but I understand as the books were taking too long to come out that plans for more movies were shelved.

Lastly, I wonder if there was some novelty on the part of the marketeers at promoting a kid writing a sci-fi trilogy. An easy way to ride the coattails of the Harry Potter books and movies.

#17 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:30 AM

Just finished reading the book myself. I did have a few gripes with the ending, but they had nothing to do with Arya and Eragon not getting together. That actually was handled in the best way possible, in my opinion, considering that there were legitimate reasons behind it not happening. The rest of the story was handled very well also (again, aside from a few minor gripes).
Overall, a great ending to one of my favorite book series.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 27 January 2012 - 05:32 AM.

AboojTi.gif

#18 Forlong

Forlong

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

If it took you this long to be disappointed in this series, your standards are too low. down.gif

#19 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Forlong @ Apr 30 2012, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it took you this long to be disappointed in this series, your standards are too low. down.gif

facepalm.png
Oi. I'm done with this thread. I was hoping that some people would actually want to discuss the book and not bash the series. Guess my standards were too high.

Edit: By the way, after some reflection, I've come to the conclusion that the EragonxArya pairing was the worst part of the series. It needlessly padded out chapter after chapter with Paolini obsessing over Arya like she was his fetish. Her treatment at the end of the book was so bad that he must be obsessed with her for wrecking the book like that, doing what he did to make her even MORE of a Mary Sue than she already was.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 30 April 2012 - 05:58 PM.

AboojTi.gif

#20 Abel Nightroad

Abel Nightroad

The Phoenix Nin

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

As I own all 4 books so far (I hear he's planning more in the 'verse, just no more in this 'arc'), I rather enjoy them. Though I'm still a fraction from the end of book 4, I can tell it's going to be very open ended, thus leaving the option for Eragon and Arya to meet up again later....after all, its not like she can't go visit him or something, no?

Yes, I read already what the ending was online, but I'm reading it anyways. Truth be told, it is actually refreshing to have a different style of ending than the 'boy saves day and gets girl' ending so common of late, no?

QUOTE (Kim @ Nov 9 2011, 05:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whaaat?! I'm so glad I read only the first and half of the second book otherwise I would be crying like mad right now! I was thinking of reading the whole series but now I won't. Nothing makes me mad like a wasted romance.

You are missing out. The entire story is an epic read from beginning to end, if you ask me.

QUOTE (tricksie @ Nov 17 2011, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First off, I've not read the books as a whole, however I've seen the movie and I'm familiar with the plot. As for the books, I've read excerpts of it, both giving examples of his best and worst writing.

So, knowing that he put in traditional plot points for the genre, I wonder if the effort to separate the main characters at the end, after there was relationship development, reflects his attempt to give more weight to the story by breaking with the formulaic pattern at the end.

I also wonder if it could be the change in age/maturity of the author from when he began writing until he finished. He began it at age 15. It's easy to imagine his views on love have changed from age 15 to age 25, when the last book was finished.

I thought the film was good, the casting was very good and the story interesting, but I understand as the books were taking too long to come out that plans for more movies were shelved.

Lastly, I wonder if there was some novelty on the part of the marketeers at promoting a kid writing a sci-fi trilogy. An easy way to ride the coattails of the Harry Potter books and movies.

Ugh, don't get me started on that film. It butchered the first book, removed plot relevant characters outright, and more. If anything, the film just didn't have a flow to it, just seemed like they went from one scene to the next without any of the stuff that made it seem natural.
"What use is a word with but one meaning?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users