41 replies to this topic

#21 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 02:45 AM

You think I know every damn adaptation in the universe? In the grand scheme of things not-white>white is a thing and white>not-white isn't.

I spesifically said almost never and not never ever because I knew someone would point out two 'exceptions' that's somehow supposed to debunk my point. You still managed to do it somehow.

ナルサク

#22 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:03 AM

You think I know every damn adaptation in the universe? In the grand scheme of things not-white>white is a thing and white>not-white isn't.

I spesifically said almost never and not never ever because I knew someone would point out two 'exceptions' that's somehow supposed to debunk my point. You still managed to do it somehow.

Honey, you don't really want to know what I think about you. To even begin would cause me to get banned for eternity from this site and probably offend you to no end with you calling me things that are not quite true based on the limitation of critical thinking. To you, the only thing that exists is what you believe, not what it actually is. You see, I know exactly how you think and what you think at this point. I could show you all the proof in the world that proves you utterly wrong and yet you will still sit here and say "it is a problem" when clearly it is not.

And the point I showed, if honestly you are smart enough to understand, is that Japanese people HAVE NO PROBLEMS with white actors playing anime roles or so called "Japanese roles".....so let me ask, in a rhetorical sense, why should you?

""It looked really cool and I really enjoyed it. They didn't just try and copy the original, but came up with an original story, which was a better approach."

Speaking of which, why don't you know all the adaptations? Omission of facts in favor of trying to prove your point. So apparently people know all about all the times people did so called "white washing," but can't point out all the adaptations of other "washings." Is it because they really don't know....or is it because they don't care and choose not notice because they know it would prove them wrong?

Food for thought and that is all I am gonna say on this matter. Agree to disagree if you have to, but I am saying no more.

I just wanted to post the link to show that....the real world is a lot different than what people try to paint it to be.

P.S. One reason why this movie won't get a lot of money is because the Chinese do not accept this movie based on the fact is based on a Japanese manga. What people forget is that most of the international revenue comes from China.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#23 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:00 AM

Honey, you don't really want to know what I think about you. To even begin would cause me to get banned for eternity from this site and probably offend you to no end with you calling me things that are not quite true based on the limitation of critical thinking. To you, the only thing that exists is what you believe, not what it actually is. You see, I know exactly how you think and what you think at this point. I could show you all the proof in the world that proves you utterly wrong and yet you will still sit here and say "it is a problem" when clearly it is not.

And the point I showed, if honestly you are smart enough to understand, is that Japanese people HAVE NO PROBLEMS with white actors playing anime roles or so called "Japanese roles".....so let me ask, in a rhetorical sense, why should you?

""It looked really cool and I really enjoyed it. They didn't just try and copy the original, but came up with an original story, which was a better approach."

Speaking of which, why don't you know all the adaptations? Omission of facts in favor of trying to prove your point. So apparently people know all about all the times people did so called "white washing," but can't point out all the adaptations of other "washings." Is it because they really don't know....or is it because they don't care and choose not notice because they know it would prove them wrong?

Food for thought and that is all I am gonna say on this matter. Agree to disagree if you have to, but I am saying no more.

I just wanted to post the link to show that....the real world is a lot different than what people try to paint it to be.

P.S. One reason why this movie won't get a lot of money is because the Chinese do not accept this movie based on the fact is based on a Japanese manga. What people forget is that most of the international revenue comes from China.

So James was the movie good? On a scale from 1 to 10 what will you give it?

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#24 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:35 PM

Just few things I need to say and I don't mean it in an offending way, but there's no need for much dislike from what I understand and feel from your post.

You can't know how exactly a person thinks in any thing unless they told you what s/he thinks on the specific matter with you also knowing him / her at least very well in the real world.

What a person says have a lot of other thought processes, that is before and after the thought said, that is different from every single person. It's even much more complex to know what a person exactly thinks from virtually saying something on the internet.

Your posts in the forums reflected that you are a person with all possibilities in head, and that there are no things that would be and remain exactly the way it is and shown. I'm just trying to say that there's really no need for this for differences on opinions.

Edited by T XD, 10 April 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#25 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:49 AM

wtf kind of pissy response is this you spineless whiny ass dramaqueen . . .

"u don't know this but I hate you so much tho I won't talk about it on this site it'll get me banned forever" :twitch:

and, I mean

Honey, you don't really want to know what I think about you.

c3c3d8bf6d410684d4ed13fe8527f4f3.gif

Insult me all you want I'm made of steel but don't ever call me honey again

Edited by sushi., 11 April 2017 - 02:54 AM.

ナルサク

#26 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

Given how this film is the latest in a white washing debate (I enjoyed the film, but I can see one revelation near the end of the film being very problematic which can be pointed to white washing) I'm going to post a video from nostalgia critic who posted this a nearly a year ago about the subject.

#27 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:09 AM

Given how this film is the latest in a white washing debate (I enjoyed the film, but I can see one revelation near the end of the film being very problematic which can be pointed to white washing) I'm going to post a video from nostalgia critic who posted this a nearly a year ago about the subject.

alright quite interesting video I did not expect nostalgia critic to have this opinion tbh.

As for the questions he brings up, I think the line goes when the "-washing" because cultural. Whitewashing for example is a subculture of racism, (and when it's the other way around it's usually in response to that). Many Japanese people may be onboard with it, because they grew up in Japan and doesn't know the struggle of Asian Americans. Stars such as Ming Na-Wen, George Takei, Steven Yeun etc do, and speaks up against whitewashing and spesifically GITS and Dr Strange. I think their viewpoints provide a lot more insight. I have however seen translated posts of Japanese people that loathe GITS, ranting in Japanese on Japanese forums, so I don't like that people use those street interviews as a shield. It's not like I'm dissatisfied because Asians are either. :/

("Agewashing" is a bit different to me because a lot of children such as actors in GoT and a lot of teen dramas have sexual/violent scenes which a child should not play. And it would've been difficult to cast a disabled actor for the role in Forrest Gump, because he could walk the first half of the movie.)

ナルサク

#28 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

alright quite interesting video I did not expect nostalgia critic to have this opinion tbh.

As for the questions he brings up, I think the line goes when the "-washing" because cultural. Whitewashing for example is a subculture of racism, (and when it's the other way around it's usually in response to that). Many Japanese people may be onboard with it, because they grew up in Japan and doesn't know the struggle of Asian Americans. Stars such as Ming Na-Wen, George Takei, Steven Yeun etc do, and speaks up against whitewashing and spesifically GITS and Dr Strange. I think their viewpoints provide a lot more insight. I have however seen translated posts of Japanese people that loathe GITS, ranting in Japanese on Japanese forums, so I don't like that people use those street interviews as a shield. It's not like I'm dissatisfied because Asians are either. :/

("Agewashing" is a bit different to me because a lot of children such as actors in GoT and a lot of teen dramas have sexual/violent scenes which a child should not play. And it would've been difficult to cast a disabled actor for the role in Forrest Gump, because he could walk the first half of the movie.)

Incorrect. The japanese don't care because they were not raised in a culture of shame like western white people were. Their society is wealthy, sucessful and prosperous, and yet they feel no need to feel bad about it because a society that is different then them is not.

Sane people have no desire to get offended on behalf of others, They have better things to do.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#29 hinataiscreepy

hinataiscreepy

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:46 PM

The issue is more like double standards and hypocrisy.

Recently, we have learned Edward Zo was not even given an audition for Death Note based on race alone in a industry that kept kittening on Trump for being racist but does it to other ethnicities with bs self righteous reason. At least, Trump is more honest with wanting to favor american first and does not try to sugar coat it. People who argue in favor of using american actors say that the acting is all that matters are wrong because Zo was not even given a chance. Honestly, he fitted the role more than Wolff because he is really handsome, his maniacal laugh is kira all right, he is extremely methodical (his editing skills are flawless), and he is very soft spoken. Wolff looks more like a drug addict social outcast and the americans misses the whole brilliance of Kira's design because t you would never ever suspect someone like him to be a mass murderer cause he is so perfect and presentable. Looks are extremely crucial when you cast someone.

To put it simply, movies is the biggest form of advertisement for a race. Its a visual media and people mostly rely on their eyes when they judge someone. Never underestimate the power of images and medias that can manipulate your perception. For instance, I used to not like Captain America (propaganda tool) but the MCU totally changed my perspective of him (I am always choosing him at MVC3 which never happened before). Its not surprising that white men would not want to give roles to other races (apart from black because they have been very vocal) because its like giving up a part of your power to your competition.

Edited by hinataiscreepy, 13 April 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#30 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

Incorrect. The japanese don't care because they were not raised in a culture of shame like western white people were. Their society is wealthy, sucessful and prosperous, and yet they feel no need to feel bad about it because a society that is different then them is not.

Sane people have no desire to get offended on behalf of others, They have better things to do.

There's no point in arguing what Japanese people think because there are almost 130 millions of them. I wasn't wrong, because unlike some people here I didn't throw all of Japan under one stick for my agenda.

You're suggesting that I'm mentally ill because I am offended although I already said Japanese opinions don't sway me. 😒

ナルサク

#31 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

Since when if someone is offended on behalf of others is not sane ?

I studied Psychology and never in any book I've studied in is mentioned such a thing. What's mentioned about it is something healthy for the personality. It's called ' Empathy ' and it's important to have it and use it.

You don't live alone in this world.

And Japan have shame culture which is primary agent of social control and there are people suffering from it.

Edited by T XD, 13 April 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#32 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

Since when if someone is offended on behalf of others is not sane ?

I studied Psychology and never in any book I've studied in is mentioned such a thing. What's mentioned about it is something healthy for the personality. It's called ' Empathy ' and it's important to have it and use it.

You don't live alone in this world.

And Japan have shame culture which is primary agent of social control and there are people suffering from it.

When it's for the sake of trivial things. It's empathy to see someone being hurt or opressed and speak out about it. It's not empathy when it's something that in a normal society would be seen as a non issue. It's clear that "white washing" doesn't matter for the japanese people. Yet shallow social justice advocates try to whine about it even if the "offended" party already stated they don't care. It's not about speaking out about injustice at all, it's about satisfying one's own smug sense of moral superiority.

Edited by alexander, 13 April 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#33 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:02 PM

When it's for the sake of trivial things. It's empathy to see someone being hurt or opressed and speak out about it. It's not empathy when it's something that in a normal society would be seen as a non issue. It's clear that "white washing" doesn't matter for the japanese people. Yet shallow social justice advocates try to whine about it even if the "offended" party already stated they don't care. It's not about speaking out about injustice at all, it's about satisfying one's own smug sense of moral superiority.

I don't know about this whole white washing thing if it's true or not regarding Japan being conscious about it. But, comments typed on sites by Japanese people don't reflect the country, the region and the society.

Edited by T XD, 13 April 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#34 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

All you have to do is take one look to the left lmao..

http://www.hollywood...ng-twist-990956

https://www.washingt...m=.c416dd1c3921

Japanese people outside of Japan are you know..Japanese.

ナルサク

#35 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

All you have to do is take one look to the left lmao..

http://www.hollywood...ng-twist-990956

https://www.washingt...m=.c416dd1c3921

Japanese people outside of Japan are you know..Japanese.

Top quality european level of education right there.

Asian people outside of Japan are whatever nationality they were born with. This is just as silly as saying white people born in north america are europeans. They are not and they will never be, unless they move there some day.

Edited by alexander, 13 April 2017 - 07:19 PM.

#36 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

From the first link, it seems there are people in Japan not liking the white washing. If only there was some questions asked to the public in Japan, we would know more.

The second link, they identify themselves as Asians cause they feel attached from where they are. So, what they say about white washing are taken into account. Nationality counts with the different nations and different peoples counts too.

#37 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:22 PM

I guess George Takei and his family were not really Japanese when they were locked into concentracion camps for being exactly that ~ Japanese.

:zaru:

ナルサク

#38 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

What's the big deal of it, This is just adaptation. I don't think having white girl playing the major is a sign of racism. That's the producer prerogative right.

#39 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:12 AM

What's the big deal of it, This is just adaptation. I don't think having white girl playing the major is a sign of racism. That's the producer prerogative right.

I know I don't understand any of this. The movie isn't good as I thought period, no need to bring racism.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#40 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

I gave it a 2.7 out of 5 and summed it up in my last paragraph of my review.

The 2017 “Ghost in the Shell” doesn’t have the philosophical questions of the original, its own inquiries raised about humanity, such as ‘what makes a person who they are?’ is rolled out somewhat sloppily, the acting hampers that attempt at depth and the core story of the investigation is been-there-done-that. Maybe rent the flick for how well it looks, and that’s about it.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users