Close
Photo

"Opposites Attract" vs. "Similars Attract"

NaruSaku Opposites attract Similars attract NaruHina SasuSaku

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: NaruSaku Relationship (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is it?

1. Opposites Attract (1 votes [3.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

2. Similars Attract (10 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Voted Both (19 votes [63.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

Leaving aside shipping, I was once introduced to the literary device of "complimentary opposites attract."  While opposed on certain issues (leading to conflict), there must be similarities and sympathies in other ways (sometimes in ways that the bickering couple may be totally unaware).  Also, there must be moments of regret, voiced or unvoiced, when one part of the couple has taken things too far.  That's off the top of my head, but there are a half-dozen or so other guidelines involved.

When complimentary opposites are taken into account, I like the "opposites attract" trope.  When they aren't taken into account, it leaves me cold.  "Similars attract" also works, but if the couple is TOO similar it gets a little... creepy.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NaruSaku, Opposites attract, Similars attract, NaruHina, SasuSaku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users