21 replies to this topic

#1 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

I'm kind of running out of things to watch, and I don't have a lot of knowlege when it comes to anime. I know Naruto, Fairy Tail, Teen Titans (if that's even an anime) and a very limited amount of DBZ and OP. Other than that I know nothing about the anime universe.

I've been looking around on Netflix for a few months now...have yet to find a movie that actually scares me. I did get creeped out a little by some of them, but hardly scared. I was hoping I'd find something a little more to my...*ahem* liking from an anime series. Things that scare me...monsters...like from Amnesia the Dark Descent and Silent Hill (yes I'm aware Amnesia is just a game) Ghosts are okay, but i's monsters that really do the trick. 

Now...unless the show is REALLY scary, don't give me something that has to do with zombies or vampires. Seriously, they've been overdone. It's to the point they're laughably stupid now. 

If anyone knows of a really creepy anime out there, please let me know.

#2 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:05 AM

I'm not really into the horror genre, but I know a website full of horror anime. It has ALOT of cool animes on here, heres the link to horror section: http://www.soul-anim...t/genre/horror/

#3 dylanrivers10000

dylanrivers10000

Blow this up like pyromania-def leppard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Location:on the moon shadow and i blew up the earth, now along side the ENTIRE CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE, and the A-TEAM
  • Interests:proving people that being stereotypical about me and bashing me is impolite, and is just rude!!!

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

you seen bleach it is really close to naruto sortof...

Neil-Young-Rockin-In-The-Fre-101219.jpg

#4 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

Another is a pretty good horror anime.

One I watched recently that I liked was Madoka Magica. First three episodes are typical magical girl stuff, then it starts to get dark and sadistic from there. In some ways it reminds me of the Twilight Zone.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 07 July 2014 - 01:09 AM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#5 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:40 AM

I'd actually recommend Bleach. It has dark themes, that you would seem interested in. No zombies or vampires, but it is creepy. Note that it also has humor in it, but it's all in good nature ^^

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#6 Hiddlestoner

Hiddlestoner

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:NaruSaku, procrastinating, Coffee,
    Tom Hiddleston, Beelzebub, Indie Music, Books

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

I haven't watched many horror based animes but some that I can recommend to you are:-

• Another
  • Jigoku Shoujo 
  • Ayakashi samurai horror tales
  • Gyo
  • Kurozuka

NaruSaku; Sasuhina; SasuKarin; OgaHilda; LokiNatasha; EnishiKaoru; IchiRuki

d21161ff597ca91989fc50b7b64eb588.jpg

#7 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Naruto <3 ;Drawing anime ; Watching anime and K-dramas; NaruSaku <3

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

Try :) :

- Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

- Elfen Lied

- Ookami kakushi

- Paranoia Agent

- Blood +

- Hell Girl

Personally watched these myself :)

tumblr_inline_ndxjyuuF571qlo98f.gif

#8 Zatheko

Zatheko

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Writing, MMO's, Games

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

Hellsing Ultimate.

Edited by zatheko, 07 July 2014 - 03:29 AM.

#9 dejavu

dejavu

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

Ghost Hunt is a fave of mine.

It's more about ghost and ESP stuff though. Maybe its a cultural thing..ghosts does the trick for me than monsters. what i find as "horror" is one that makes me think of the possibilities that it could happen to me too..

Plus it actually gets better along the way.

Psychic Detective Yakumo is another one.

Corpse Party, yes its originally a game and of course the anime couldn't match up to the game but its a good short watch.

This one is more about gore and ghost though.

Natsume Yuujinchou, not really a horror but more of fantasy/folklore.

Shiki, you did say no to vampires but this one is actually good if you just give it a chance. Its like redeeming the mysteriousness and allure of vampire stories that are quite overused nowadays.

So far, that's all i could think of.. how about horror mangas? there are some good ones too. 

#10 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

You could check Vampire Hunter D, a Gothic, horror, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, western. The original anime film is from the 80s.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#11 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

You could check Vampire Hunter D, a Gothic, horror, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, western. The original anime film is from the 80s.

Sir, you clearly have excellent taste.

Are there plenty horror anime series, but I am not in that genre, so there is not much that I can recommend. And it depends on what you mean with "horror". Supernatural stuff? Psychologic terror?

Devilman is a classic horror manga (although you need having a strong stomach to watch it). Go Nagai wrote much horror/supernatural manga. Another of his series is called Skull Manor.

GeGeGe no Kitaro is another classic manga that uses ghosts and supernatural beings of Japanese folklore. It is unknown in the West but it is very popular in Japan. A new anime series has been made every decade since 1968.

Rumiko Takahashi wrote several horror stories like the VERY dark Mermaid saga or Inu-Yasha (although Inu-Yasha is more of an adventure series).

Yu Yu Hakusho and Ushio to Tora are fighting series with a supernatural theme.

Psychological horror... Hmm... You can watch Perfect Blue. That movie is the only example I can think of. Or Suehiro Maruo series. Usually I do not like Japanese psychological horror stuff.

Edit:

Teen Titans (if that's even an anime)

No, that is not an anime. It is a Western Cartoon based on a super-hero comic-book published by DC Comics (the owners of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman...)

Then again, anime is simply the word that Japanese people uses for "animation", so in that sense, it Is an anime, right like He-Man, Transformers, Thundercats, Scooby-Doo, The Simpsons, the Looney Toons and Powerpuff Girls. :P

If you want to know more about anime, you can check this thread: http://www.narusaku....showtopic=10517

Edited by Jenskott, 07 July 2014 - 07:52 AM.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#12 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Magical girl of the End? Kanji- Mahou Shojou of the end on mangahere. NOTHING to do with vampires or zombies. :smile:

Edited by Phantom_999, 15 September 2014 - 12:32 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#13 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

I was watching this anime called Tokyo Ghoul the other day... It was a teensy bit horrifying o.o It has cannibalism in it if you're wondering...

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#14 Win-chan

Win-chan

Eternal NaruSaku Warrior

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Music, Piano, Violin, Composing, Writing, Reading, Enneagram, Psychology, Ancient History

Favorite anime/manga: Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note

Favorite TV shows: Supernatural and Sherlock

Favorite ships: NARUSAKU!, MinaKushi, ShikaTema, IchiRuki, MustangxHawkeye, SayaxHaji

Favorite Naruto characters (in no particular order): Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato, Shikamaru, Sakura, Minato, Deidara, Gaara

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

I don't really watch horror anime, but I do like some anime with darker themes, I guess. But really, if you're trying to get acquainted with the anime world, these are MUST sees:

Death Note 

Premise: Shinigami, or gods of death, all possess Death Notes, which are supernatural notebooks. If you write a human's name in the notebook, that person will die of a heart attack in 40 seconds. The shinigami who writes the humans name in the Death Note then receives that person's remaining life span. Well, one day, genius, idealistic Light Yagami (a human) finds a Death Note on the ground outside of his school and after testing it out and realizing it isn't a hoax, begins using it to try to rid the world of criminals and evil. After the police notice all these criminals dying of heart attacks by mass murder "Kira," they suspect somebody of orchestrating this and begin trying to solve this mystery with absolutely no physical evidence. In order to do so, they bring in the world's greatest detective, L. Because no one knows his name and no one sees his face (he talks to people through a computer), Light can't kill him using the Death Note. At the same time, L has no idea who the identity behind mass murderer Kira is. Anyway, it's really good, and it's dark, and kinda creepy. It's a psychological thriller, and I think that basically every anime fan has to have watched Death Note :P

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (watch Brotherhood because it follows the manga and the manga's better than the 2003 anime)

This anime follows the story of two boys who are alchemist prodigies - Edward and Alphonse Elric. When their mother died when they were probably around 8, Ed and Al attempted to use human transmutation (a taboo in alchemy) to bring her back to life. When the alchemical ritual goes wrong, Edward loses his right arm and left leg and Alphonse loses his entire body, only surviving because Edward used alchemy to bind his brother's soul to a suit of armor. Because of that, Ed and Al began chasing this legend, the philosopher's stone, which is said to magnify an alchemist's power, in order to attempt to get their bodies back. And, due to their pursuit of the philosopher's stone, they begin to discover truths about their country and the military that they could have never imagined. This anime is probably my favorite, EVER. It has amazing characters, a phenomenal plot, and a good amount of action/fighting. Plus, there are several homonculi, which are artificially created humans, who can't die. IDK if that fills your request for monsters. 

So, I think you should DEFINITELY watch these two! Other anime you might enjoy (they're all darker, not necessarily horror, but are dark)

Code Geass 

Blood+

Attack on Titan

Bleach

xxxHolic is a little creepy I guess...

Edited by Win-chan, 13 July 2014 - 10:48 PM.

SHINACHIKU

tumblr_inline_ngnhtp3KQk1sy20ab.jpg

The strong-willed, intelligent and powerful yet loving, tender, and sensitive heartthrob of Konoha.

#15 rukiasakura12

rukiasakura12

Shinigami.Medic.Nin.

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

I second Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl) and
Ghost Hunt.
Highschool of the Dead is another if you like a more sexy yet zombie killing anime.
I pretty much like Ghost hunt for the horror genre since it's not only horror. It's morr of a horror mystery case solving storyline.
Hell girl is not really horror for me but eerie feeling you will feel watching it makes it scary. What if your the one in their place? Like that.
Death note is cool if you like crime solving but with a more dark genre. :)

I recommend then all. :)

One Goal.. One Soul.. NaruSaku

Naruto_450_____Thank_you_by_ladygt9.jpg

#16 luffyq1

luffyq1

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,371 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

School days. But you have to keep watching more episodes to experience the horror.

Untitled_zpsbc671263.png

#17 rukiasakura12

rukiasakura12

Shinigami.Medic.Nin.

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

School days. But you have to keep watching more episodes to experience the horror.

School days.. O.o I think the scary part was totally the twisted ending and the near end climax.. O.o scary

One Goal.. One Soul.. NaruSaku

Naruto_450_____Thank_you_by_ladygt9.jpg

#18 dylanrivers10000

dylanrivers10000

Blow this up like pyromania-def leppard

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Location:on the moon shadow and i blew up the earth, now along side the ENTIRE CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE, and the A-TEAM
  • Interests:proving people that being stereotypical about me and bashing me is impolite, and is just rude!!!

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

Lol Scooby-Doo

Neil-Young-Rockin-In-The-Fre-101219.jpg

#19 Win-chan

Win-chan

Eternal NaruSaku Warrior

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Music, Piano, Violin, Composing, Writing, Reading, Enneagram, Psychology, Ancient History

Favorite anime/manga: Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note

Favorite TV shows: Supernatural and Sherlock

Favorite ships: NARUSAKU!, MinaKushi, ShikaTema, IchiRuki, MustangxHawkeye, SayaxHaji

Favorite Naruto characters (in no particular order): Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato, Shikamaru, Sakura, Minato, Deidara, Gaara

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

You know, there is a Supernatural anime. I bet it's pretty creepy. Though I don't think it can come CLOSE to being as good as the live-action TV show <3

SHINACHIKU

tumblr_inline_ngnhtp3KQk1sy20ab.jpg

The strong-willed, intelligent and powerful yet loving, tender, and sensitive heartthrob of Konoha.

#20 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:17 AM

I haven't finished it yet, but so far Higurashi no Naku Koro ni is really good. That's probably the most horror-ish anime I've watched that comes to mind right now.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (watch Brotherhood because it follows the manga and the manga's better than the 2003 anime)

I'm gonna have to provide a counter to this: watch both Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 and Brotherhood. Both are fantastic for entirely different reasons, and complement each other very nicely. However, if you really aren't willing to watch both, here's how it splits: if you're going for darker, more emotional material, go with FMA 2003. If you're going for more action-packed epicness, then go with FMA Brotherhood.

If you are willing to watch both, then watch FMA 2003 first. The reason for this is that Brotherhood begins with the assumption that you've seen FMA 2003 or are at least familiar with the majority of the characters, and it speeds through its early material because of that. FMA 2003 gives that earlier material time to breathe. Keep in mind: while the FMA manga may be better than FMA 2003, that doesn't mean that Brotherhood is of the same status. Brotherhood opens the story in a far weaker way than both the manga and FMA 2003 do.

The main thing to take away from this is: don't disregard FMA 2003. It's been criminally under-acknowledged since Brotherhood came out, and it seriously pains me to see that continually happen when it's so good.

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 19 August 2014 - 05:25 AM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users