Close
Photo

Man lands Spacecraft on comet, forced to apologize because his shirt offended feminists

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:22 AM

http://twitchy.com/2...s-sexist-shirt/

http://www.theverge....g-back-progress

Kind of old news, but I don't really care.

Yeeeaaaah....of all things to be complaining about...this is pretty minor in the big scheme of things...

This is just my opinion, but I seem to be missing the big overall picture how how that shirt is 'sexist' when 1 - Some women wear very exposing clothing anyway. 2 - Kids shows have females wearing exposing clothing. Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars movies 2 & 6 just to name a few  . 3 - Video games do the exact same thing. 4 - The pictures they hand out freely on the streets in Las Vegas... the list goes on.

The guy landed a spacecraft on an object going a bajillion miles an hour in space...I say let him wear what he wants...but that's just me.

#2 Pix

Pix

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Interests:Boku no Hero Academia is better than Naruto

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

Yeeeaaaah....of all things to be complaining about...this is pretty minor in the big scheme of things...

This is just my opinion, but I seem to be missing the big overall picture how how that shirt is 'sexist' when 1 - Some women wear very exposing clothing anyway. 2 - Kids shows have females wearing exposing clothing. Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars movies 2 & 6 just to name a few  . 3 - Video games do the exact same thing. 4 - The pictures they hand out freely on the streets in Las Vegas... the list goes on.

The guy landed a spacecraft on an object going a bajillion miles an hour in space...I say let him wear what he wants...but that's just me.

I kinda agree, they did miss the big scheme of things. But at the same time they are two unrelated factors, so maybe he should just apologize for one and get all the praise for the other.They don't negate each other out. 

And also with the kid shows and video game dilemma, times are changing. What was once acceptable is going to be looked down upon in the future. The oversexualization of both men and women in kid-marketing objects are going to go rare pretty soon.  

Also, calling someone a "feminist bully" or a "femnazi" is so immature I can't. If someone's a bully then they're a bully, but don't completely disregard a subject just because of a few odd apples. I couldn't even bring myself to read all of the comments. 

Squad Roll call :

tumblr_ngv9unJacL1qhmbkio1_r1_500.png

#3 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:29 PM

Ok, look, it's great that this guy landed a spacecraft on a comet! Truly! It's a great accomplishment! But... people are capable of caring about more than one thing at a time. You need to take into consideration that women have it tough in scientific careers just... all around. That shirt was the garment equivalent of posting Playboy centerfolds on a firestation wall. Imagining being a woman walking into work, seeing one of your male coworkers wearing that shirt, and realizing, oh yeah, that's still how they see us. It's not just unprofessional, but shows extremely poor judgement. As for women wearing skimpy outfits in kids shows, video games, and Vegas ads... no one is saying it's okay there either. And, as a woman who chooses to wear sexy clothing when she goes out, I'm not doing it so guys find me attractive, and is certainly not the same thing as the women on his shirt. 

Besides, give the guy some credit- his apology was sincere. He wasn't forced to do anything. 

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#4 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

The One True Demi-Goddess of Misfortune

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, things, people.

https://twitter.com/Huldra_Nix

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

Ok, look, it's great that this guy landed a spacecraft on a comet! Truly! It's a great accomplishment! But... people are capable of caring about more than one thing at a time. You need to take into consideration that women have it tough in scientific careers just... all around. That shirt was the garment equivalent of posting Playboy centerfolds on a firestation wall. Imagining being a woman walking into work, seeing one of your male coworkers wearing that shirt, and realizing, oh yeah, that's still how they see us. It's not just unprofessional, but shows extremely poor judgement. As for women wearing skimpy outfits in kids shows, video games, and Vegas ads... no one is saying it's okay there either. And, as a woman who chooses to wear sexy clothing when she goes out, I'm not doing it so guys find me attractive, and is certainly not the same thing as the women on his shirt. 

Besides, give the guy some credit- his apology was sincere. He wasn't forced to do anything. 

No but he was pretty much SHAMED into giving it. If people don't like the shirt, they don't have to buy one or wear one.

The problem with the world today is that is someone gets "offended" they expect to be catered to. Even the woman who MADE him the shirt thinks this kitten is f**cked up. "feminists" like the one who shamed this guy are the exact reason why LARGE quantities of women distance them-self from the title. They give it a bad name.

Guy landed on a  comet? Focus on his shirt! :zaru: 

Edited by Tsuki Hoshino, 20 November 2014 - 03:46 PM.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611991db478fd57f4321b
                                         Pls shame me for procrastinating.  :argh: 

#5 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:10 PM

No but he was pretty much SHAMED into giving it. If people don't like the shirt, they don't have to buy one or wear one.

The problem with the world today is that is someone gets "offended" they expect to be catered to. Even the woman who MADE him the shirt thinks this kitten is f**cked up. "feminists" like the one who shamed this guy are the exact reason why LARGE quantities of women distance them-self from the title. They give it a bad name.

I tend to agree and I think the dust up over this is incredibly stupid, that said, I agree with Jonah Goldberg..., you're going to be on TV for a major scientific achievement would it kill you to dress professionally, like a nice dress shirt and some slacks.

#6 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

I tend to agree and I think the dust up over this is incredibly stupid, that said, I agree with Jonah Goldberg..., you're going to be on TV for a major scientific achievement would it kill you to dress professionally, like a nice dress shirt and some slacks.

True enough--he should have been dressed nicer, but since the shirt was made by a female friend, maybe he was wearing it to honor her? Or as a shout out, I dunno.

but just like we can't/Shouldn't tell women what to wear, why should we be doing it to men? Its really about the principles to me. Double standards and hypocrisy aren't things I abide by easily. If a women wore a shirt with sexy dudes plastered all over it, who would give a fig? just about no body. 

#7 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

The shirt was unprofessional and inappropriate. He recognized this, and showed genuine remorse for wearing this. He admitted that he was in the wrong. He'll be fine, I think it's safe to say. 

There's a lot of good reasons one could distance themselves from the feminist label. There's a history of transphobia and racism with radical feminism, after all. People calling out a micro-aggression isn't a good reason. And that shirt is an unintentional micro-aggression.  

EDIT:

but just like we can't/Shouldn't tell women what to wear, why should we be doing it to men? Its really about the principles to me. Double standards and hypocrisy aren't things I abide by easily. If a women wore a shirt with sexy dudes plastered all over it, who would give a fig? just about no body. 

You're comparing apples to oranges. There isn't a history of people sex-shaming men for what they wear. It's not as simple as a "double standard".

Edited by KonaKonaFan, 20 November 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#8 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:31 PM

The shirt was unprofessional and inappropriate. He recognized this, and showed genuine remorse for wearing this. He admitted that he was in the wrong. He'll be fine, I think it's safe to say. 

There's a lot of good reasons one could distance themselves from the feminist label. There's a history of transphobia and racism with radical feminism, after all. People calling out a micro-aggression isn't a good reason. And that shirt is an unintentional micro-aggression.  

EDIT:

You're comparing apples to oranges. There isn't a history of people sex-shaming men for what they wear. It's not as simple as a "double standard".

The guy was LITERALLY bombarded with comments from people shaming him over his shirt through twitter and every other social media site, you don't think that made him feel bad? That it made him feel that in order to get evey one to just STOP he had to apologize for something he should not have been sorry for? Its his body he should wear what he wants, right? 

If woman wore a similar shirt and was shamed through the internet, guaranteed "Feminists" everywhere would be all up in arms defending her--or lauding her courage. 

I'm sorry, but No I do not see a difference between the two scenarios. Are they both inappropriate apparel? Yes. Is the reaction garnered by them fair or warranted? absolutely not. Maybe its because I look at people as PEOPLE, not as genders...

#9 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

The guy was LITERALLY bombarded with comments from people shaming him over his shirt through twitter and every other social media site, you don't think that made him feel bad? That it made him feel that in order to get evey one to just STOP he had to apologize for something he should not have been sorry for? Its his body he should wear what he wants, right? 

If woman wore a similar shirt and was shamed through the internet, guaranteed "Feminists" everywhere would be all up in arms defending her--or lauding her courage. 

I'm sorry, but No I do not see a difference between the two scenarios. Are they both inappropriate apparel? Yes. Is the reaction garnered by them fair or warranted? absolutely not. Maybe its because I look at people as PEOPLE, not as genders...

Not saying that the calling out didn't make him feel bad. He did. He reacted to that feeling by apologizing. Most people have already moved on. Whether or not you agree, he felt it was right to do so, and that should be the end of the discussion.

The whole "people can wear what they want" issue is talking about the level of modesty on a garment, not what the garment says. If a woman walked up there wearing, say, a shirt that made a "make me a sandwich" joke, feminists would criticize that too.

Hm, misunderstanding here, largely my fault. The "apples" here are how women have always been criticized for their apparel (usually because of modesty, like I said earlier), and the "oranges" are men getting criticized for wearing sexist clothing. I should have clarified that, I apologize.

When people have been and still are systemically oppressed for their gender, you really can't separate them from it, especially in an issue such as this.

#10 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

Not saying that the calling out didn't make him feel bad. He did. He reacted to that feeling by apologizing. Most people have already moved on. Whether or not you agree, he felt it was right to do so, and that should be the end of the discussion.

The whole "people can wear what they want" issue is talking about the level of modesty on a garment, not what the garment says. If a woman walked up there wearing, say, a shirt that made a "make me a sandwich" joke, feminists would criticize that too.

Hm, misunderstanding here, largely my fault. The "apples" here are how women have always been criticized for their apparel (usually because of modesty, like I said earlier), and the "oranges" are men getting criticized for wearing sexist clothing. I should have clarified that, I apologize.

When people have been and still are systemically oppressed for their gender, you really can't separate them from it, especially in an issue such as this.

I personally do not believe he had any need to apologize, and that he was pressured into doing so by a vocal minority, but to each their own. 

#11 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

I personally do not believe he had any need to apologize, and that he was pressured into doing so by a vocal minority, but to each their own. 

Fair enough. *shakes hand*

#12 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

It isn't the early 20th century anymore, folks; you don't have to dress up fancy for taking airplane trips, and you certainly don't have to dress fancy, or basically at all for landing a probe on a comet. They could go naked for all the comet cares, and if you don't like it then don't go outside, don't look at anyone, don't do a damn thing because we're all naked, human beings under these stupid pieces of fabric and nylons and wool and cotton and furs. Get the Hell over it and shove your fake 'Feminist' ideology in the compactor, it's embarassing to all the real feminists. The man was given a shirt by a friend who is a WOMAN, and he showed his appreciation for it by wearing it to one of the most important steps in mankind's history to colonizing the solar system and traveling beyond our means to other worlds. Anyone who gets in a rile over this should be ashamed of their pettiness, since this man was forced to cry because plebian psychopaths raised a row of violent words over a damn shirt. You're not an "activist", a "philosopher", a "civilized being" or a "feminist", you're an ass. You made a man cry and probably almost cost him his job, the job he studied for years for and was about to lose it over A BLOODY SHIRT WITH HUMAN FEMALES ON IT. YES, HUMAN FEMALES EXIST; IT'S NOT ANTI-WOMAN TO ACKNOWLEDGE HUMAN FEMALES EXIST BY WEARING IMAGES OF THEM ON YOUR TORSO.

Anyone condoning this needs to take a long look in the mirror and ask "Did I land on a comet today? If not, what in the Hell am I doing with my life?" before they throw stones in glass houses.

#13 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

It isn't the early 20th century anymore, folks; you don't have to dress up fancy for taking airplane trips, and you certainly don't have to dress fancy, or basically at all for landing a probe on a comet. They could go naked for all the comet cares, and if you don't like it then don't go outside, don't look at anyone, don't do a damn thing because we're all naked, human beings under these stupid pieces of fabric and nylons and wool and cotton and furs. Get the Hell over it and shove your fake 'Feminist' ideology in the compactor, it's embarassing to all the real feminists. The man was given a shirt by a friend who is a WOMAN, and he showed his appreciation for it by wearing it to one of the most important steps in mankind's history to colonizing the solar system and traveling beyond our means to other worlds. Anyone who gets in a rile over this should be ashamed of their pettiness, since this man was forced to cry because plebian psychopaths raised a row of violent words over a damn shirt. You're not an "activist", a "philosopher", a "civilized being" or a "feminist", you're an ass. You made a man cry and probably almost cost him his job, the job he studied for years for and was about to lose it over A BLOODY SHIRT WITH HUMAN FEMALES ON IT. YES, HUMAN FEMALES EXIST; IT'S NOT ANTI-WOMAN TO ACKNOWLEDGE HUMAN FEMALES EXIST BY WEARING IMAGES OF THEM ON YOUR TORSO.

Anyone condoning this needs to take a long look in the mirror and ask "Did I land on a comet today? If not, what in the Hell am I doing with my life?" before they throw stones in glass houses.

I did not land on a comet today  :cry: 

But I do agree that the shirt should be a non issue and making him cry via social media bullying was wrong  :hehehe:

#14 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:11 PM

You know what, before I even rise to this, can you clarify if this was directed towards me? Because I never said he should lose his job over this, and nothing I said deserved this response.

Edited by KonaKonaFan, 20 November 2014 - 10:11 PM.

#15 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:16 PM

You know what, before I even rise to this, can you clarify if this was directed towards me? Because I never said he should lose his job over this, and nothing I said deserved this response.

Nah, that was a week's worth of building-up tension of anger. Sorry if you thought it was toward you ;c

#16 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:20 PM

Nah, that was a week's worth of building-up tension of anger. Sorry if you thought it was toward you ;c

S'cool. I disagree with you, but that much is obvious I guess, lol

#17 Mus1cLov3r

Mus1cLov3r

Noob guitarist

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:[Insert stuff]

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

^^^ This...
BASK in the awesomeness of my status!

Yeah...

Wonderful weather we're having, huh?

#18 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:58 PM

I'm a female and classic feminist, and I can't say I'm offended by his shirt. IDK, maybe it's because I grew up with similar stuff. Ever seen the old Looney Tunes? Scantily clad girls showed up in those and other old cartoons fairly often, actually. And that was years ago. 

Not that I agree with it and not that I'd encourage it. But that doesn't mean I'm going to tear someone I don't even know up over it. Unless his shirt is purposefully offensive, what others choose to wear is none of my business.

That said, I do agree with this:

you're going to be on TV for a major scientific achievement would it kill you to dress professionally, like a nice dress shirt and some slacks.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 21 November 2014 - 05:59 PM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#19 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Mother of dragons

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:34 AM

Lmao. First of all, I don't think the shirt is bad by itself. "Feminists" may think its an objetification of women, but nothing can prove that, I mean, if he wants to wear that, he can. There is nothing wrong in apreciatting women's body and showing attention on it, BUT the problem comes when men think women are just for calming their lust, or that they only serve for it, for sex, etc. But...we don't really know if the guy does this, right? From another perspective, yes, it's unprofessional. But... what YOU are saying? kitten.

1) Some women wear very exposing clothing anyway

Excuse me? And what does that mean? It has nothing to do here and what if they do?

2)Kids shows have females wearing exposing clothing. Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars movies 2 & 6 just to name a few.

And? Again, nothing to do here. I won't say anything until you clear what are you implying here.

3)Video games do the exact same thing.

And?

4)The pictures they hand out freely on the streets in Las Vegas... the list goes on.

And? Ok, so, from what I get, you are telling me that BECAUSE everyone does "the same" (even when those news and your examples are not related at all) it is okay?  Yeah, because when a majority of people do something, it isn't bad at all!!! or makes the first problem in comparison less harmful!!!!

dumbo-pink-elephants-on-parade1.gif?w=50

queen-harley.tumblr.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users