Close
Photo

Modern AU

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Modern AU naruto fanfics (17 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your opinion about modern AU (naruto) fanfics?

1. Like them. (8 votes [47.06%])

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

2. Dislike them - Naruto can only be in the Ninja world. (9 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

Vote

#1 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm curious to know...what is your opinion about modern AU Naruto fanfics? Modern AU obviously means that they are civilians, in the actual world...

I ask because I am Yo-yoing between writing a modern AU fic and one in the actual shinobi Naruto setting (the plot/story is basically the same, with some adjustments to fit each category).

#2 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

It depends on whether the story is written well, and how the characters are portrayed. The only Modern-day Naruto fic that I found that was great was peanutbutter's Halcyon Days.

I think you should be fine, toshi. Your fics are some of my favorites to read. biggrin.gif

#3 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:41 AM

I agree with Jo on this one. It depends how well the characters and environment settled through with well-written results. Mostly the common modern AU stories are basically the high school/college setting, which tend to bore many people, unless it has some background.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#4 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

I like them. Well...most of them. Er...some of them. Uh...well, I like the good ones. At least a few of them.... sweat.gif

The only AUs I don't like are highschool fics. I think are only entertaining to the people writing them. But I think the majority of AUs are highschool fics. There are just tons of them! And it's so limiting to any plot. Each one is basically the same, just the characters reflect the people who populate the author's own school. I don't want to bash them all, but you'd have a hard time selling me on a creative/unique highschool fic.

Anyway, I second JoHam: I'm sure that anything you wrote, madz dear, would be wonderful. So which ever genre you're more comfortable with, I'll be there reading it!

Personally, I think for Naruto I've grown to like AU a little bit better than canon. His character's just not developing in canon/manga. So I tend to gravitate toward fanfics that show him (and all the rest) in a more grown-up light. And once you've thrown open the door for a more mature Naruto, then all sorts of situations open (still as variations-on-a-theme): Naruto/Sasuke fighting it out as part of rival yakuza gangs; Naruto/Sasuke on rival racing teams; Naruto/Sasuke as postmodern soldiers. Etc., etc., etc. Throw Sakura into any of those situations any way you wish (as long as she ends up with Naruto of course!). Anyway, I think AUs pave the way for an author's creativity.

One of my favorite modern AU's is Scar Tissue. I think it's a perfect example of how Naruto can be done in the real world, without the ninja life. The characters and conflicts are totally believable, and remarkably they still very much like their manga counterparts. The author hasn't updated in a while, but Nick Soapdish assured me that sometimes stories will languish for years and years before being picked up again. So I haven't given up hope...yet. wink.gif

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Great topic, btw. I'm curious about what people think of AUs too.

#5 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

Oh, thanks so much, Joham. smile.gif

Derock and Tricksie - thank you so much for your input - it's definitely NOT a high school fic, lol. I'm more into writing older Naruto's fic.
And Tricksie, I haven't read Scar Tissue - must take a look soon. You are right about having more room for creativity in non canon. It's definitely a major weight in the balance!

Thanks guys!

#6 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

I tend to dislike most with great intensity.

Part of it, as tricksie mentions, is that most of them fall into the highschool category which often fall into either a replication of the author's highschool life or wish fullfillment or both. The characters themsleves are crammed into stereotypes and never go anywhere.

I did read a Slayers Highschool style fic I loved, but it wasn't a straight highschool fic as they had all the abilities they had in series (which they had to rediscover and relearn). It was a modern setting/highschool setting, but it was clear that it wasn't just about them being in either or assuming modern roles. Unfortunately, I lost track of it a long time ago, so I'm not sure where it was going to end.

Another common theme I saw was cramming them in to popular teen movies. They are just as bad.

For me it's about entertaiment preferences. I prefer characters to remain in their original setting because that setting is part of what helps define who they are and it's how I got to know them. It's a part of the characters. While not universally true, I tend to prefer a bit of a fantasy element and stories that remind of sitcoms on evening televsion simply aren't my cup of tea.

#7 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

I certainly don't mind reading them, but it all boils down to whether or not the story is well-written and has a compelling plot. Like others have said before, just sticking them in a modern setting such as high school and letting the wacky-hijinks ensue isn't going to be enough. There certainly are some good fics in a high school setting, but they tend to do something more.

The big thing is keeping the characters in character, even if placed in a different universe. The stories that usually stray from who the characters truly are, lose my interest. Just rewriting the Twilight series with Naruto characters isn't going to cut it. Sure, there are some people who like those fics, but it isn't going to have as much general appeal. There has to be a plot element that will hook the reader and keep them wanting to read more. It has to be recognizable that the characters in the story are the Naruto characters and not just some random people who happen to have their names.

When thinking of Naruto in the Modern AU universe, the first thing I think of is the Konoha Gakuden short that done in the anime. It wasn't a fic, but it demonstrated how the characters would interact as themselves if they were in public school in Japan. There have also been a few fics written about it too, but I only really liked one (the name escapes me at the moment, but I think it was written by Dijifruit).

Good luck with the story.
End of line.

#8 digifruit

digifruit

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

If anything, you should look at it as a challenge, haha. Challenge yourself to write an enjoyable modern AU fic that will blow all the naysayers out of the water. Kick reason to the curb and go beyond the impossible!

#9 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

I dislike any AU fic, not only Naruto AU and I generally don't read them. When I read a fanfic, I want it to show the world in which they live in as accurately as possible. It's almost as important to me as portraying the characters correctly.

#10 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jan 17 2012, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of my favorite modern AU's is Scar Tissue. I think it's a perfect example of how Naruto can be done in the real world, without the ninja life. The characters and conflicts are totally believable, and remarkably they still very much like their manga counterparts. The author hasn't updated in a while, but Nick Soapdish assured me that sometimes stories will languish for years and years before being picked up again. So I haven't given up hope...yet. wink.gif

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Great topic, btw. I'm curious about what people think of AUs too.

Assured is such a strong word. sweat.gif I've seen a few come back from hiatuses of a couple years, but it's pretty rare. I just consider it a pleasant surprise to see one pop up on the top of my Favorites list.

As to the OP's question
I think that the setting is important so I tend to prefer fics that start in the Narutoverse and just diverge a bit (or sometimes a lot) from how Kishi drew it up. But what's really important is the characters and their relationships and that can be reproduced just about anywhere. So to me, it's not a kiss of death for it to be in a modern setting. Even a high school. wink.gif

#11 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

I like them. I think at this point an AU would capture my imagination and attention better than canon because you are able to sort of reinvent the characters in a different setting. I don't like the current manga setting, so having more flexibility while working with the characters you are interested in are both key points to writing or reading an AU.

If I wrote another NS fic, I'd probably do another AU.

#12 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Jan 18 2012, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Assured is such a strong word. sweat.gif I've seen a few come back from hiatuses of a couple years, but it's pretty rare. I just consider it a pleasant surprise to see one pop up on the top of my Favorites list.

Yes, but you're my only ray of hope that the story will be continued. I'm clinging to that. I'm clinging...to a ray.... ohcrap....

#13 Madz

Madz

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

Wow very interesting point of views from everyone!
I see both sides - because I myself like to see the characters in the current setting, specially the Naruto world.

But then I've had this utter longing to see our Naruto in a a modern setting, the type like NCIS or The Experts etc (not high school - not my cup of tea and as I said, I always do older Naruto).

I believe that the story genre play a big role here. If the story is about action / adventure, then the ninja or modern criminology background is certainly crucial, but if it is romance (like mine tends to be), then the background won't have such an impact.

And as Miss Soupy and Tricksie have rightly pointed out, there is much more room for creativity in the AU world finally, since the cannon world is about saturated by now, lol.
And finally, Dififruit, you are SO right. It WILL be a challenge to write in the AU world!

#14 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jan 18 2012, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, but you're my only ray of hope that the story will be continued. I'm clinging to that. I'm clinging...to a ray.... ohcrap....

Rainbows are made up of rays so that could be a good sign. Just don't blame me when the ... ah, delay continues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users