• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Uzumaki9000

Uzumaki9000

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Interests:Movies, drawing, painting, reading and video games.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:51 PM

I'm back! 

I was surprised that there was no thread about this topic, and I think it deserves one. The main reason why I want to make a thread about this is because, in my opinion, the best villains are the sympathetic ones. The ones that became evil because of tragic/traumatic pasts. We just can't help but feel sorry for them. So I wanna ask you all, what are your favorite sympathetic/ tragic villains? Why do you love them? They could be either from movies, TV shows, games, comic books, anything.

My favorite:

1. Andrew Detmer (Chronicle)- He was just a shy, socially isolated teenager who wanted to have a normal life. But people tormented him, abused by his father, his mother dying of cancer, his cousin left him alone most of the time when he needed him. All of the things he went through are perfectly good reasons why he became violent on everyone. 

2. Sandman (Spider-Man 3)- He was robbing banks and stealing money because he wanted his daughter to be healthy. He also accidentally killed Peter Parker's uncle. 

3. Mr. Freeze (Comic book and animated series) - He was once a decent person who broke all the laws and hurt people because he wanted to save the person he loved more than life, his wife, Nora.

4. Harvey Dent/Two Face (The Dark Knight) - He became twisted after half of his face got burned, his love of his life died, his career and life were ruined. He went for revenge on the people responsible for Rachel's death and to show Gordon what it felt like to lose someone you love, either family or a soulmate.

5. Magneto- His reason for hating the humans was because of the Holocaust, he was deeply traumatized by the events and he wanted the mutants to become better than humans.

6. Lee Woo-jin (Oldboy, 2003)- He was in love with his biological sister, but when the protagonist, spread a rumor about her sleeping around and being 'pregnant', she committed suicide, it really traumatized him and became angry and sworn to have revenge on the protagonist, and he succeed.

7. Darth Vader- He was a salve when he was a boy, taken away from his mother who died years later, he feared his wife will die so he turned to the Dark Side just to save her life. But he failed. Then he became the most brutal man in the galaxy. 

8. The Governor (The Walking Dead TV Series)- He was abused by his father, his wife and daughter died, he wanted to the only thing in life, to protect the people he cared about, no matter how cruel or violent. He wanted to save his second love Lilly and her daughter, but failed, and lost his sanity. 

Edited by Uzumaki9000, 23 December 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#2 Hanabi

Hanabi

絶対大丈夫だよ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,592 posts
  • Interests:cardcaptor sakura!

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:57 PM

major spoiler of pandora hearts

Edited by Hanabi, 23 December 2015 - 08:02 PM.

2UFqbUS.gif

I can't even say good bye to you for the last time

I'm sorry

#3 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:12 PM

I came here to post this character, too. :lol: To be honest, I think they're the best character I've ever seen.

It should be specified that we're referring to the manga, as the anime sadly did not get that far.

Edited by CloudMountainJuror, 23 December 2015 - 09:14 PM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#4 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

I'd definitely have to go with Mr. Freeze myself, pre 52 that is when the Animated Series elaborated on his backstory more. Originally he was a cold gimmick character no one cared and what the Animated Series did for his character made him sympathetic and changed his character for the best. I remember when I first watched the episode as a kid, and thought it was awesome, though it wasn't until I became an adult that I appreciated what they did for Mr. Freeze. His character had much more depth to it, and I genuinely felt sorry for him, and honestly wanted Batman to let him do what he wanted, but that's against his code.

Then again Batman The Animated Series made a lot of Batman's rogue gallery genuinely interesting, and what they did for the characters was unseen at the time in cartoons.

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#5 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:21 PM

This, absolutely. Take all my likes, though unfortunately I can only give one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users