• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:47 PM

This thread is for discussing and recommending classic mangas or animes, or childhood series we thought were good, and recommending them to people has never watched them (I thought it might be nice having a thread like this).

I'll try giving some brief summary and comment of mangas or animes I think were classic or good, as well as trying finding links so whoever may be interested in check them can read them or watch them online (however I'll always encourage to purchase the volumes/DVDs if they have been published/released in English). Likewise, the first post will be a List with recommended shows.

Of course, everyone can make recommendations or suggestions.

Maybe someone gets curious and wishes checking some anime but finds he can't get into it cause the visuals. My advice is: don't let it stop you. You may find the visuals off-putting at the beginning because you aren't used to them. But if you try looking past them and keep watching, you may find out you like the show (and the visuals aren't so bad how you thought at the beginning). Trust me, it has happened to me.

Warning: I update links on this List, not on the recommendation posts.

3x3 Eyes: Manga; OVAs

Ace wo Nerae!: Manga; Anime

Adolf: Manga

Ai ga Tomaranai/A.I Love you: Manga

Akira: Movie

Area 88: Manga; Anime

Akittena no Joe:: Manga; Anime

Astroboy/Tetsuwan Atom: Manga; 1980 series; 2003 Series

Attacker No. 1!: Manga; Anime

Attacker You!: Manga; Anime; Anime

Bio-Booster Armor Guyver: Manga; OVA; 2008 Anime

Black Jack: Manga; Anime

Brain Powered: Manga; Anime

BT'X: Manga; Anime

Bubblegum Crisis: Bubblegum Crisis; Bubblegum Crash; Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040

Candy Candy: Manga; Anime

Captain Tsubasa: Manga: Captain Tsubasa; World Youth; Road to 2002; Golden-23; Dream Field; Anime

Casshern: Classic series; OVA; 2008 Anime

City Hunter: Manga; Anime

Combattler V: Anime

Cowboy Bebop: Anime

Crayon Shinchan: Manga; Anime

Crest of Stars: Anime

Crusher Joe: Anime

Crying Freeman: Manga; OVA

Cutey Honey: Manga; HQ Classic Anime; Newer Versions

Cyber Blue: Manga

Cyborg 009: Manga; Anime

Daimos: Anime; High-Quality Episodes

Daitarn 3: Episodes 1-24; Episodes 25-40

Dangaioh: OVA; Sequel

Danguard Ace: Manga; Anime

Darkside Blues: Movie

Demon City Shinjuku: Movie

Detective Conan: Manga; Anime

Devil Hunter Yohko: OVA

Devilman: Manga; Anime; OVAs

Dirty Pair: Anime

Dodge Danpei: Manga; Anime

Dokaben: Manga; Anime

Doctor Slump: Manga; Anime

Doraemon: Manga; Anime

Dororon Enma-kun: Manga; Translated Manga; Anime 1973; Anime 2006

Dragon Ball: Manga; Anime: Dragon Ball; Z; GT

Dragon Half: Manga; OVA

Dragon Quest: Manga; Anime

Dunbine: Anime; OVA

Escaflowne: Anime

Evangelion: Manga; Anime

EX-Driver: Manga; Anime; Movie

Fist of North Star/Hokuto no Ken: Manga; Anime: Part I; Part II

Fushigh Yuugi: Manga; Anime

Gaiking: Classic Series; New Series

Galaxy Express 999: Manga; Anime

Gall Force: OVA

Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets: Anime

Gaogaigar: Anime; OVA; Alternate Sequel

Gegege no Kitaro: Classic Anime; Anime

Genshi Shonen Ryu: Anime

Getter Robo: Manga; Other Getter mangas; Anime: Getter Robo; Getter Robo G; Getter Robo: Armageddon; Shin Getter vs Neo Getter; New Getter Robo

Ghost Sweeper Mikami: Manga; Anime

Golden Boy: Manga; OVA

Golgo 13: Manga; Anime

Gunbuster: Part 1; Part 2

Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita: Manga; OVA

Gunsmith Cats: Manga; OVA

H2: Manga; Anime

Hana no Ko LunLun:

Haunted Junction: Manga; Anime

Hime-chan no Ribbon: Manga; Anime

Himitsu no Akko-chan:

Ideon: Anime; Movies

Initial D: Manga; First Stage; Second Stage; Third Stage; Fourth Stage; Movies

InuYasha: Manga; Anime

Irresponsible Captain Tylor: Anime

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Manga; Anime

Jungle Emperor/Kimba the White Lion: Manga; Anime

Kenji: Manga; Anime

Kimagure Orange Road: Manga; Anime

Kindaichi Case Files: Manga; Anime

Kinnikuman: Manga; Anime; Part 2

Kotaro: Manga; Anime

Kotetsu/Koutetsu/Steel Jeeg: Manga; Anime 1975; Anime 2007

Kung Fu Boy/Tekken Chinmi: Manga; Anime

Kyojin no Hoshi:

L-Gaim: Anime

Lone Wolf and Cub/Kozure Okami: Manga

Lupin III: Manga; Anime

Macross/Robotech: Manga; Anime

Magic Knight Rayearth: Manga; Anime: Part I; Part II

Magical Angel Creamy Mami: Anime

Mahou no Star Magical Emi: Anime; OVA

Maison Ikkoku: Manga; Anime; Download Anime

Majokko Megu-chan:

Mazinger Trilogy: Anime: Mazinger-Z; Mazinger-Z HQ; Great Mazinger; Great Mazinger HQ; Grendizer; Grendizer HQ; Manga

Mermaid Saga: Manga; OVAs; Anime

Mobile Suit Gundam: Manga; Manga; Gundam 0079; Z Gundam; ZZ Gundam; Gundam Char's Counterattack; Gundam Wing; Gundam X

List continues in next post...

Edited by Jenskott, 27 December 2011 - 02:15 PM.

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#2 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Nadia:The Secret of the Blue Water: Anime

Niji Iro Togarashi: Manga

Ninja Rantaro: Manga; Anime: not available yet

Oh! My Goddess: Manga; OVAs; Anime Season 2; Anime Season 3

Orguss: Anime; OVA

Otaku no Video: OVA

Patlabor: Manga; Anime

Perfect Blue: Movie

Phoenix/Hi no Tori: Manga

Project A-ko: Anime

Queen Milennia: Manga; Anime

Raideen: Original Series; Original Series; Sequel

Ranma: Manga; Anime; OVAs

Raven Tengu Kabuto: Manga; Anime

Record of the Lodoss War: OVAs; Manga

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Manga; Anime

Ribbon no Kishi: Manga; Anime

Romance Robot Trilogy: Manga

Rockman/Rockman X: Manga; Anime

Ronin Warriors: Anime

Rose of Versailles: Manga; Download; Anime

Rurouni Kenshin: Manga; Anime

Sailor Moon: Manga; Read Code Name: Sailor V; Anime

Saint Seiya: Manga; Anime

Sakigake Otokojuku: Manga; Anime

Sally the Witch: Manga; Anime

Samurai Pizza Cats: Anime

Sanctuary:: Manga; OVA

Silent Mobius: Manga; Anime

Shinseiki GPX Cyber Formula: Anime

Shurato: Anime

Slam Dunk: Manga; Anime

Slayers: Manga: not available yet; Anime: Slayers; Slayers Next; Slayers Try; Slayers Revolution; Slayers Evolution-R

Space Cruiser Yamato: Anime; Manga

Space Pirate Captain Harlock: Manga (incomplete); Anime

Speed Racer/Mach Go Go Go: Manga; Anime

Tekkaman/Tekkaman Blade: Anime

Tetsujin 28-go: Manga; Classic Series; 2004 Remake

They Were Eleven: Manga; Movie!

Touch: Manga; Anime

Urusei Yatsura: Manga; Anime; Movies; OVA; Special

Ushio to Tora: Manga; OVA

Venus Wars: Manga; Movie

Voltes V: Anime

Video Girl Ai: Manga; OVA

Witch Hunter Robin: Anime

Yaiba: Manga; Anime

Yawara:Manga; Anime

Youkai Ningen Bem: Anime

Yu Yu Hakusho: Manga; Anime

Zambot 3: Anime

Zillion: Anime

Zoids: Anime

Edited by Jenskott, 27 December 2011 - 02:23 PM.

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#3 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

(Yes, I know it is a triple post. Please, bear with me. I have my reasons)

These are my first recommendations:

- Maison Ikkoku --Click here to view--

Surely several of you remember Inu-Yasha by Rumiko Takahashi (and maybe you are reading Rin-Ne). Maybe some of you remember Ranma ½ by the same author. But Maison Ikkoku is generally regarded like her masterpiece.

Maison Ikkoku is a seinen manga spanned a ninety-six episodes anime series, one movie and three OVAs. The history is a comedic romance about a group of (mostly crazy) people lives in a boarding house (named Maison Ikkoku).

The male main character is Yusaku Godai. He is a ronin (a college applicant has failed his/her college entrance examinations and continues studying to try to pass them) lives in the boarding house as he studies in order to pass the entrance exam at last. He is an honest and well-intentioned person, but he is also gullible and weak-minded, and his crazy and mischievous neighbours are constantly picking on him and taking advantage of him. Often he feels tempted to leave the madhouse is stuck in.

One day he decides he has got enough and is about of leaving when a young and beautiful woman called Kyoko Otonashi shows up and announces she is taking over as manager. Godai suddenly decides he is staying (as the other tenants roll their eyes up). He has completely fallen in love with her.

Kyoko is a nice, mature, hard-working and compassionate but somewhat melancholic woman (and she is downright scary when she gets angry). Quite soon the Maison Ikkoku tenants learn another thing about her: she is a widow. Her husband died shortly after their marriage. Her father-in-law suggested her working as a manager in the boarding house he owns in order to get over the hurt and move on. She took up the offer and she is not in a hurry for getting married again (however it doesn’t stop nearly everybody –her parents, her father-in-law, her tenants, the whole neighbourhood and several would-be suitors- of telling her she should get married again before she becomes an old maid. Yusaku is the only has never pressured her about it, and it was an epic moment when he suggested several of them shutting up and thinking of how Kyoko feels).

Throughout the whole manga, Yusaku is constantly trying winning Kyoko’s heart over as he struggles for becoming a better person, passing the entrance exam, graduating and finding a job so he can become a person Kyoko can trust and rely upon (as he survives his neighbours). Needless to say, the coming of suitors to Kyoko and to HIM will complicate matters.

Some of the main characters are:

Hanae Ichinose – She is a middle-aged housewife whose hobbies are getting drunk, partying, gossiping and getting in everybody’s business. She is loud, meddlesome, nosy, clever and sharp-witted (she can read anyone like if that person was a book… to everyone’s chagrin). However she is surprisingly tender and understanding with her husband. Her pest- son fervently wishes growing up soon so he can run from his family. Her family lives in Room 1.

Mr. Yotsuya – This middle-aged man is one of the weirdest characters has created Rumiko Takahashi. Nobody knows his complete name, his age or his work. But all know his hobbies: annoying and taking advantage of everyone, pulling juvenile pranks he deems funny, blackmailing, spreading false rumours, spying on other people (mainly women), stealing food… and he does all of it as he keeps an appearance of dignified, polite person. He lives in Room 4 (and he is permanently pestering Godai through a hole in the wall. That hole has been repaired several times, but he ALWAYS brings the wall down again. Usually ramming the closed gap with a log).

Akemi Roppongi – Young waitress of the bar everyone usually hangs on. She is brash and carefree and she likes seeming oblivious –and behaving how if she was-, mocking people –mainly Godai- and gossiping. She is good friends with Mrs. Ichinose and often they hang together (to the Kyoko’s chagrin). She lives in Room 6.

Shun Mitaka – He is a young tennis teacher (but he isn’t a Maison Ikkoku tenant). He is older than Godai, more charming than Godai, more handsome than Godai, richer than Godai, he also is in love with Kyoko, he is determined to conquer her and he thinks Godai is simply irritating and he doesn’t understand why he has to compete with an incompetent, stupid child. He also is deadly feared of dogs. And Kyoko owns a huge, white dog. Usually, hilarity ensues.

Other secondary characters include: Kozue Nanao (an innocent girl is in love with Yusaku and doesn’t know he is in love with Kyoko), Kyoko’s parents (her father doesn’t want Kyoko gets married ever married because NO ONE is good enough for his –twenty-two years old- little girl and her mother wants she gets married again as soon as possible and at the beginning she was constantly plotting schemes in order to get her out of her job), the Otonashi family (unlike the most of the characters they are normal, uncrazy people), Ibuki (a schoolgirl has decided Godai is her life’s love and tried seducing him for several chapters), Nikaido Nozomu (he shows up late in the manga, he becomes Room 2 tenant, and he is so oblivious as dense. Getting some through his incredibly thick skull and in his head is a long, torturous and often fruitless process)…

This story is comedic –but not the comedy is not overtop- and romantic, and unlike what happens in most Takahashi mangas, the characters are allowed to grow up and evolve, the story never drags out (which is the main trouble of Ranma and Inu-Yasha), and the ending is extremely good –and very touching- and it closes the story perfectly.

And it personally has one of the most emotive scenes I remember having read in a manga:

spoiler for scenes of the end of the manga --Click here to view--

When Godai finally proposes to Kyoko, he vows he will work hard, he will not get drunk or be unfaithful… but she cuts him off and she tells she only wants he promises one thing to her: he will live longer than her… even if it is one single day. She wouldn’t endure to be left alone again.

Volume 15 - Chapter 7 - Page 18
Volume 15 - Chapter 7 - Page 19
Volume 15 - Chapter 7 - Page 20

I recommend it if you like comedic romances, whether you like Takahashi works or not.

The manga originally ran from 1980 through 1987 and it is fifteen volumes long. It has been published by Viz, but you can read it online here: http://www.anymanga.com/maison-ikkoku/ . The anime has been licensed by Viz Media (I think).

- Rurouni Kenshin --Click here to view--

This is a twenty-eight volumes long shonen manga spanned a ninety-five episodes anime series (which was prematurely killed cause filler arcs), and several movies. The history narrates the adventures, battles and struggles of a wandering swordsman at the beginning of the Meiji period.

The main character is Kenshin Himura. During the civil war of the end of the Edo period, he was an assassin and bodyguard known as “Hitokiri Battousai”. After the end of the Bakumatsu, he wandered over the country, aiding to those in need in order to atone for the people he murdered.

Eleven years later, he arrives in Tokyo and he meets Kaoru Kamiya, the young and spirited owner of a dojo. Upon finding out someone is using his name to murder people in order to sully Kaoru’s dojo’s reputation and force her to sell her home, Kenshin defeats the false Battousai. After helping Kaoru he is willing leaving again, but Kaoru asks him staying. Kenshin accepts and they begin a long, developing relationship as they meet new friends and allies, face new enemies… and Kenshin discovers his past’s ghosts are returning. And they aren’t happy.

Other main characters include: Yahiko Myoujin (a temperamental, stubborn, young orphan kid, descendant of samurais), Sannosuke Sagara (an extremely strong fighter who blames the Government for his master’s death), Megumi Takani (a young medician whom Kenshin saved. She is in love with Kenshin, but she knows he loves Kaoru), Aoshi Shinomori (a grim ninja), Misao Makimachi (a spirited, cheerful, young female ninja who is in love with Aoshi. I will never forget how she introduced herself to an enemy: “I am Misao Makimachi, but I won’t tell my name to people as yourselves”), Hajime Saito (a twisted, ruthless policeman who was a Shinsengumi captain and is Kenshi’s rival), Makoto Shishio (one of my favourite anime villains ever)…

I won’t go on talking because this series is more recent and I think it is easier than people has heard about it. Regardless, it is an excellent and well-drawn manga, with plenty action, humour and a healthy touch of romance. The Kyoto arc was especially good.

Viz has published the entire series in the United States, but you can read it online here: http://www.anymanga....urouni-kenshin/ . The anime has been licensed in USA by ADV films.

Edited by Jenskott, 05 October 2010 - 08:35 AM.

#4 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

I agree with both of those.

I've talked about Rose of Versailles a number of times, and while there is still no sign of an official translation, I recently discovered there is a fan group that is undertaking a slow translation of the series- out of the 10 tankobons of the series they have most recently (at the end of July) completed the first chapter of volume 3- chapter 15 (starting the project two years ago) but at least a bit of it is online now.

Downloads:

http://www.lililicio...ectDet.php?id=6

and you can read their translation work online at Mangafox:

http://www.mangafox....ailles/#listing

Lady Oscar is the originator of the shoujo version of the tsundere type. (Tezuka's Sapphire from the generation earlier Princess Knight is the prototype, but Lady Oscar is the true foundation, the full elements of the type is there with with her) The manga begins with a fairly typical shoujo manga European historical set up, but then as the story goes along the plotline of the social injustice rampant in that society plays a stronger and stronger role- as Lady Oscar becomes more and more aware of it. Rose of Versailles was enormously influential on not just shoujo manga but shonen, even the current generation of Japanese know the story of Rose of Versailles even though it was first published in the early 1970's. It has continuously stayed in print, Takarazuka does a show based on some part of Rose of Versailles almost every year. Riyoko Ikeda's manga is also well loved in France, she was even awarded the French Legion of Honor medal for the manga. I don't know of any other Japanese national who has ever been awarded this medal. Yet it still remains untranslated officially in the US, something I find nonsensical.

Edited by ciardha, 03 October 2010 - 09:29 PM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#5 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:17 AM

Nonsensical? Probably because fansubbers nowadays don't find interest in doing old manga?

Plus, there's likely no demand for some of the old stuff.

#6 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Oct 4 2010, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nonsensical? Probably because fansubbers nowadays don't find interest in doing old manga?

Actually a number of scans groups have attempted to do it over the years, but no one has yet done a complete translation- even Fred Schodt only completed volume 2 (it was a work of love for him and he did get the rights and published through a small publisher that many volumes in the 1980's, but then the publisher went out of business and Schodt didn't have the money or equipment to get the rest out. This group has made it to the first chapter of volume 3, so with some luck the "curse" has been broken for a full English language translation.

The anime adaption has been available by fansubbers for years. (I got it back in the old fansubbers days when you bought it from a distributor and it was mailed to you via snail mail.)

The series quite well known and loved amongst shoujo manga readers, even in the US (the many fanclubs and websites devoted to the series and characters attest to that, as does the fact it's not unusual to see a Lady Oscar cosplayer at US anime conventions. My sister and a group of her friends received a cosplay award at an anime convention just two years ago doing a Rose of Versailles skit- they were very popular amongst convention going photographers too, because of the many Rose of Versailles fans amongst cosplayers. It's certainly long been popular enough for Viz or someone to buy the official translation rights and fans have complained for years that Viz, etc.. haven't done it when it is such a classic and popular manga.

I sometimes wonder if it's the fact the manga directly addresses social injustice, showing pretty realistically for a classic shoujo manga how in France the mixture of a "free market capitalism" and severe class oppression lead to the violence of the French Revolution that makes Viz, etc... afraid of translating it- are they afraid it might just "put dangerous ideas" in readers heads?

It seems silly to think so, but yet US companies have translated other classic shoujo manga, especially some of the early shonen-ai/yaoi titles but shy away from the non shonen-ai/yaoi Rose of Versailes, one has to question why when shoujo manga fans have been clamoring for it's official translation for many years, including when Viz asked readers of the shoujo manga titles they were starting to translate in 1999-2000, what shoujo title would they most like Viz to translate Rose of Versailles got the most votes. So yes, it's nonsensical that they haven't done so. Fans have even asked numerous times and Viz and other companies never give a real answer why. It's clearly not Ikeda that is blocking it, she has spoken of how she loves how people all over the world know the story....
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#7 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:03 AM

That was uncalled for, Cloud. There is no need to be rude.

Moreover, Ciardha wasn't talking about fansubbers. She was talking about it being translated OFICIALLY.

And there are plenty fansubbers subbing and uploading old manga and anime. I have been able to easily find Captain Harlock, Gatchaman, the Mazinger trilogy, Hokuto no Ken, City Hunter, Devilman, Captain Tsubasa... even old, forgotten stuff I loved such like Shurato, Super Bikkuriman or Attacker You (definitely I didn't expect find the latter).

Agreed, you find more people subbing Naruto or Fairy Tail than, let's say, Sailor Moon, but you find several fansubbers uploading it, nonetheless.

And she is right. It is nosensical. That manga should be available to more people. Publishers have no trouble churning out old stuff if it is quality (such like Osamu Tezuka works), or taking risks with it. If I can find Tetsuwan Atom or Captain Harlock I should be able to find Versailles no Bara.

You don't know that. How I have said, different publishers have taken risks publishing old stuff, and sometimes it has gone awry, but often it has paid off.

The editorial used to publish Marvel comics in my country has tried several times publishing old Marvel stuff. The first time it doesn't work. The second try was a resounding success and they began churning old comics out. And now they are publishing old DC material, too.

The last week I walked in my comic store and bought several Osamu Tezuka comics. Old comics such like newest editions of Rurouni Kenshin, Dr. Slump, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku and Hiroshi Hirata's works were sitting on the shelves around them. And people bought them. Geez, the last month a little kid was asking to the shopkeeper if there were Mazinger Z toys! I didn't expect that at all!

There IS a demand for it, don't be mistaken. To comic publishers it isn't a question of if exists; it is a question of how tapping in it.

Now, let's go back on topic...

Thank you for your recommendation, Ciardha, and I agree Rose of Versailles should be in the List. I'll add it as soon as possible. I have read few shojo or josei mangas, so your aid with it is appreciated.

#8 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:21 AM

D.Gray-man, before the Timothy Arc. This was before the incredibly stupid arcs, choppy art-styles and its desire to be like Dragonball Z with nothing but yelling, fighting and called-in morals and two-dimensional characters that feel as flat as the paper they're printed on.

#9 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

Er... Yoshi, I am glad of you like -or liked- D. Gray-Man, but this thread is for talking about classic series or remembering some manga or anime has been nearly forgotten but someone remembers fondly. D. Gray-Man is still a very recent series and it is still ongoing. It isn't a classic yet (maybe it will be, maybe it won't be. I don't know) and it hasn't been forgotten yet, so it doesn't fit.

That said, I bring more recommendations:

- Captain Harlock --Click here to view--

Earth. Year 2977.

Humanity has forgotten wars, has dominated interstellar travel and has reached an enduring prosperity at last. However it has become decadent. People have lost the capability to dream and the yearning for questing and exploring new worlds, and they have become apathetic shells, unable to care about anything. They engage in idle amusements to ignore their empty lives as they stubbornly try ignoring all their troubles, refusing facing them and hoping they disappear on their own.

Including the signs of an imminent alien invasion. People refuses to realize the danger –and get ready to fight back- because they don’t want anything disrupts their idle, uncaring, hopeless lives. And the Earth Government refuses to realize the danger because it doesn’t want anything disrupts its chances to be reelected.

And even if they did, they are too apathetic for fighting for their freedom or at least for their lives.

However one man refuses accepting that situation. Captain Harlock sails the sea of stars, the last frontier, on board of his ship –the Arcadia-, waving the pirate flag and fighting for all he believes in: Freedom. Individualism. Courage. Honor. He’ll fight the Mazones –an alien race of vegetable-based women- not for the Earth people –whom he despises- or for the corrupt Earth’s Government –which he hates- but “because his heart dictates it”. His crew –the last humans who dare to dream and hope and fight for their freedom- will battle alongside him.

And as they sail the cosmos and fight the Mazones, they slowly start to find out about their secrets… including they have been involved in the Earth’s past way more than they had thought.

So it begins Space Pirate Captain Harlock, one of the most influential sci-fi mangas and animes ever. His creator, Reiji Matsumoto, is one of the most important manga writers have ever lived, and he has written and drawn countless sci-fi mangas narrating epic space odysseys. Space Pirate Captain Harlock has spawned more than half dozen of anime series and mangas from 1978, and Harlock and his crew have show up in even more animes.

Curiously, the manga is barely one-thousand-pages long, and the story ends up inconcluded. However Matsumoto helped to the cartoon-makers to end up the story, giving it a proper ending.

I don't remember if the manga has ever been published in English, but the anime has been aired in many countries, including USA.

There are sites where you can read or download scanlations translated to Spanish, but I have been unable to find a site where you can read thor download an English translation. You can read the first chapter in this link: link and watch the anime online here: link.

This is the story of how a young man became a great basketball player… in order to win over the girl he liked.

Hanamichi Sakuragi is an outcast, high school delinquent. He also is very unpopular with girls, having been rejected fifty times. All girls are frightened of him and reject him because he is a huge boy, he hangs around with other delinquent boys and he is always involved in fights.

All of it changes when he meets Haruko Akagi, a beautiful girl who isn’t afraid of him and encourages him to join the school’s basketball team. Hanamichi was reluctant to the beginning since he had never practiced any sport and he hated basketball (due the fiftieth girl rejecting him on the grounds of being already dating a basketball player). Wishing impressing Haruko, he joins the Shohoku’s basketball team. Unfortunately his hot temper, immaturity and lack of discipline cause tension and fights between he and his teammates (and the fact of he claimed being a genius in spite of he had absolutely NO idea about basketball –he once slammed his head on the blackboard when he was trying to dunk- didn’t help, either). However he slowly matures and improves, becoming an important asset to the team.

Nevertheless, between the addition of new players, the workouts and the first serious matches and tournaments, Hanamichi starts changing. He is still hot-tempered and he keeps his hopeless crush on Haruko, but he actually begins enjoying basketball for itself and not how a mean to impress someone else. He begins accepting he needs learning much things and being more patient and he needs working into the team. He is becoming a better person thanks to basketball.

Oh, and have I said his crush is hopeless? Yes, I have. Haruko is completely unaware of Hanamichi’s feelings and she has on crush on Kaede Rukawa. Rukawa is an aloof, raven-haired, talented rookie who can’t care less about Haruko. Hanamichi can’t stand Rukawa because he is a best player and because Haruko likes him (but if Rukawa is rude to Haruko, Hanamichi goes berserker), and claims hating him (although there’s plenty evidence to suggest he considers Rukawa his friend deep-down. Real deep-down), and both of them make the training seasons an utter chaos because Hanamichi spends the most of time fighting Rukawa (who ignores him the half of time and fights back the other half).

Does it sound familiar? Some people speculate Slam Dunk’s love triangle inspired to Kishimoto.

Regardless, Slam Dunk is a shonen manga by Takehiko Inoue ran from 1990 to 1996 and it was an incredibly well-drawn blend of basketball, romance and humor. It single-handily increased basketball’s popularity in Japan during the nineties, and it still wildly popular (it was voted best manga ever as late as 2006 in a poll). Inoue is a big basketball fan, and the manga is full of shout-outs (look to the Shohoku team's uniforms. You do not think the resemblance to the Chicago Bulls is purely accidental, do you?).

Both manga and anime have been published in USA and are highly regarded.

You can read the manga complete here: link; and watching the anime online here: link.

- Record of the Lodoss War --Click here to view--

Record of the Lodoss War is a high-fantasy epic story first began as a series of role-playing game sessions Ryo Mizuno recorded and later transcribed into a series of novels. In 1990, it became an animated 13-part OVA series, and from then on it branched into movies, manga and TV series.

The story narrates at the beginning of the time the gods fought each other and died. The last two survivors of the terrible war –Marfa, goddess of the creation and Kardis, goddess of the destruction- waged the final battle in the Southern coast of the continent Alecrast and killed each other. Before dying, Kardis cursed the land with her last breath, but Marfa split that chunk of land from the continent. That was the origin of Lodoss, the Cursed Island, and it has been the scenario of countless battles between good and evil throughout the time.

The OVA begins several hundred of years after the battle between both gods and narrates the adventures of the second generation of heroes of Lodoss.

Parn, the main character –a young warrior- and his friend Etoh –a cleric- are thrown out of his hometown and start investigating the evil that is again threatening Lodoss. Eventually, Deedlit (the female main character. She is an elven maiden falls in for Parn HARD), Slayn (a skillful wizard), his friend Ghim (the obligatorily grumpy and axe-welding dwarf), and Woodchuck (a thief whom they have to get out from jail and who repeatedly demonstrates why he was thrown in prison) join up with them.

They must fight all kind of battles against creatures of darkness, mad witches, gigantic dragons, sinister dark elves, mighty black nights, and evil armies as godlike forces threaten with destroying their world. Ultimately, Parn discovers that to save their friends, Lodoss and all its inhabitants, he must restore the balance between good and evil… as evil armies are chasing them and its world is falling apart and crumbling around.

If you have read so far you will realize it uses all tropes found in Tolkien’s works and Dungeons & Dragons, and you will be asking what it makes this story standing out above others. Record of the Lodoss War stands out because it uses the high-fantasy tropes with style and care. It never mocks them or tries subverting them. Simply it tells a straight-forward, epic story, and it makes it good.

The OVAs featured an impressive art style, character design and music, and watching them was a great experience. There are several mangas, but they don’t adapt the OVAs but they narrate facts happened before or after them, with other groups of heroes.

If you like high fantasy stories (such like Lord of Rings or Song of Fire and Ice), I think you’ll like Record of Lodoss Wars.

Manga, OVAs and anime series have been licensed in America. If you are interested, I recommend watching first the OVAs (since I doubt you can easily find the novels) and then reading the manga storylines. And then looking for the anime series. You can watch the OVAs online here: link.

And you can read online several versions of the manga here: link (only browses down). I recommend The Lady of Faris (which chronicles the deeds of the first generation of heroes), and the Chronicles of Heroic Knight (which is posterior).

And if you want, you can watch the opening: opening. (I'm sorry, but I don't know how embed YouTube videos. Please, bear with me).

Edited by Jenskott, 05 October 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#10 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:48 PM

Might as well throw in something:

- Cyborg 009:

Story about a group of cyborgs that defect from an evil organization out of the desire not to ends up as a tool of war for a madman. the story become increasingly tense and touching as the cyborgs manage to get a glance of their past life and see the people they were acquinted with has moved on without em and there's no more place for them.

this anime is the one that begins the trend of other series featuring superhuman powers and team of hero squad trope (Dragonball,Saint Seiya, Kamen Rider, Super Sentais, even the friggin Fantastic Four, X-men and godknowswhat... was also influenced by this series, fyi). Personally, the main selling for me about this series is how the author ACTUALLY write about how space rocket technology during the space race between NATO and USSR used in war as prototype of IBM WAY BEFORE the idea of IBM ever started, that in itself is quite incredible for me.

- Saint Seiya:

Story about group of warriors (Called Saints fyi) chosen by the contelations to protect the incarnation of Goddess Athena. The story especially centered around the titular character, Seiya who was first at odds with Saori (the incarnation of Athena) but eventually becomes the most loyal to her and most loved by the goddess herself (its hinted they might be romantically involved but never explicitly mentioned). The story may feel quite repetitive at first, that is until you look into the character growth in the story and it becomes clear that the story isn't repetitive if at all.

PS: Oh yeah, Jenskott. Captain Harlock was later sequeled under another name: Galaxy Railways

Edited by BlackLightning, 04 October 2010 - 09:52 PM.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#11 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Oct 4 2010, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Might as well throw in something:

- Cyborg 009:

Story about a group of cyborgs that defect from an evil organization out of the desire not to ends up as a tool of war for a madman. the story become increasingly tense and touching as the cyborgs manage to get a glance of their past life and see the people they were acquinted with has moved on without em and there's no more place for them.

this anime is the one that begins the trend of other series featuring superhuman powers and team of hero squad trope (Dragonball,Saint Seiya, Kamen Rider, Super Sentais, even the friggin Fantastic Four, X-men and godknowswhat... was also influenced by this series, fyi). Personally, the main selling for me about this series is how the author ACTUALLY write about how space rocket technology during the space race between NATO and USSR used in war as prototype of IBM WAY BEFORE the idea of IBM ever started, that in itself is quite incredible for me.

- Saint Seiya:

Story about group of warriors (Called Saints fyi) chosen by the contelations to protect the incarnation of Goddess Athena. The story especially centered around the titular character, Seiya who was first at odds with Saori (the incarnation of Athena) but eventually becomes the most loyal to her and most loved by the goddess herself (its hinted they might be romantically involved but never explicitly mentioned). The story may feel quite repetitive at first, that is until you look into the character growth in the story and it becomes clear that the story isn't repetitive if at all.

PS: Oh yeah, Jenskott. Captain Harlock was later sequeled under another name: Galaxy Railways

Thank you, BlackLightning. Both of those animes are two good choices. I had forgotten about Cyborg 009, but it certainly belongs on this thread. Right like you tell, it was one of the shows introduced in Japanese comics the concept of super-hero American comic-books were using back then.

And Saint Seiya... Well, I watched Saint Seiya for first time back when I was ten or eleven. It has been one one of my favorite shows EVER since then. And it was the manga and anime responsible for starting the "warriors outfitted with mysthical armours" gender back then (and it spawned series such like Heaven Warrior Shurato or Ronin Warriors. Regretfully the trend did not last long). And it is still incredibly popular in places such like Italy or South America. I was going to mention it and add it eventually but thank you for going ahead from me wink.gif (although I think I will write up a longer review).

I want searching links for reading and/or watching them online before adding them, but I can't do so right now. I'll add them to the List as soon as I have the time.

By the way, I realize I have been writing text walls on this thread, so I'm going to include the summaries in spoiler tags so it is easier to read.

#12 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

On the lighter side of the classic anime spectrum:

- Doraemon:

Ok, if you don't know this character you either live in a cave or plain silly....

- Ninja Rantarou:

Tell the story of 3 particular Ninja candidates, each with funny quirks (Rantarou: Title character and the most normal among the three but have quite a bad luck since he's quite incompetent in ninja arts and usually ends up in silly situations, Kirimaru: money-monger, nuff said, Senbei: VERY lazy, overweight and his secret weapon is his bed hair...). The story doesn't have any particular storyline (much like Doraemon in that sense) as each episode tells different story but mostly its about how the trio was fairing in their everyday life, from annoying their teacher, rivalry with the kunoichi school and... well... pretty much messing around (I remember in one episode they manage to finish a team combat test against their upper-classmen using Senbei's hair to deflect shuriken, hillarity ensues). Personally, I quite like this one coz the story is lighthearted but not ridiculous or far-fetched.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

#13 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

Thank you, BlackLightning. I agree Doraemon is a rightful classic (albeit I don't think many people knows of it in this board because it is a kodomo manga -comic aimed to children). I would swear I have heard about Rantaro in somewhere, but I am not sure of where...

And here I have more recommendations:

Usagi Tsukino is a blonde, ponytailed, high school student is more interested in eating and sleeping than in studying (but she isn’t dumb; she is just lazy). One day she wakes up late –as usual- and sprints towards her high school, when she halts in the way to rescue a black cat was being harassed by several little kids. After saving her, she realizes that cat is female… and somewhat weird. There is a moon-shaped, white on her forehead, and she doesn’t behave how a cat usually does. Usagi panics and dashes off towards her school.

Later that day, Usagi is feeling awful. She was late, she failed the latest test, and everybody has chastised her today: her teacher, her mother, her little brother, that boy she bumped into (and she doesn’t want to admit she finds very handsome)… She is so distracted, brooding and glooming about her misfortunes she doesn’t realize a familiar black cat is sneaking into her room through the half-open window. .. Until the cat talks to her.

Predictably, Usagi completely and utterly freaks out.

The black cat –named Luna- barely manages calming her down somewhat, and then produces a brooch from apparently thin air. Rapidly, happiness and thrill replaces Usagi’s panic and she starts trying her new brooch, barely listening to Luna as she explains she is Sailor Moon, a powerful warrior, and she must find her teammates, find and protect a princess, and defeating an evil enemy.

Predictably, Usagi does not believe one word. Then Luna dares her to tell several words.

Usagi obliges, and her sentence abruptly triggers one transformation. Luna keeps telling her she is Sailor Moon, but Usagi understands nothing: she only wants being a normal girl, and she wants nothing with otherworldly warriors named sailor senshi, a princess, and battling inhuman beings.

But then she knows her best friend is in danger, threatened by a monster. She doesn’t know how she knows, but she knows. And she also knows even if she doesn’t understand what is happening, she will never allow her best friend –nor someone else- gets harmed.

This is the beginning of Sailor Moon by Naoko Takeuchi, one of the most popular shojo mangas back in the nineties. It didn’t create the magical girl gender (the first magical girls mangas and animes were born in the sixties, possibly due to the possibility of Bewitched, a sitcom was being aired in America back then. Maybe the first magical girl anime is Mahotsukai Sally), but it gave him a new twist. Until then, magical girls series were mostly about alien princess stranded in our planet or average, young girls met a magic being and received a magical device allowed them transforming, performing magic tricks or both, and the funny adventures they lived. Sailor Moon inherited all of those elements, but instead of being a show about a little girl and her magical pet, it was a show about battles between the good and the evil for the world’s fate, and the characters were more mature and complex.

The manga series ran from 1992 to 1997 and it is 18 volumes long (and there is a –sorts of- prequel named Code Name: Sailor V. Naoko Takeuchi started that manga before drawing Sailor Moon, and it served like template to her most famous series). The anime lasted two hundred chapters and spawned several movies. The anime’s art is inferior, but the manga trounces the anime version in all other way, form or shape. The plot, the characters’ personalities and development… all of it is way better (I had watched the anime and I was shocked when I read the manga).

Of course, both the Sailor Moon manga and anime have been licensed in USA.

You can read Sailor Moon in this link: link. Likewise, you can read Codename: Sailor V in this site: link. And you can watch all of the episodes online here: link

Rumors spread throughout Tokyo about a mysterious private eye codenamed City Hunter. Nobody knows his real identity, but the stories talk about his incredible shooting and fighting skills. The only thing sure about him is if you want hiring him, you can contact him and by writing the letters "XYZ" on a blackboard at Shinjuku station.

All yakuza members, mercenaries, delinquent and misfits he has beaten up can attest all stories are true. The ones have met him and survived tend to squeal like little girls and run away when they hear his name.

All of his customers can attest the stories are true, too. But usually they won’t mention other, less flattering traits of his.

Ryo Saeba is City Hunter, a sweeper (a combination of hitman and private eye) deals with crime in the underground of Tokyo. He is a great fighter, a sharp shooter, an excellent private eye, a loony when he isn’t working, a spendthrift and a pervert.

A total pervert.

A total, irredeemable –albeit chivalrous- pervert.

He and his friend Hideyuki Makimura run an underground private eye business in Tokyo, but Ryo has a weird fixation: the only clients he ever accepts are beautiful women. However, Hideyuki dies at the beginning of the series, and his little sister, Kaori, decides becoming Ryo’s business partner in her brother’s stead (her job consist of getting clients and other managerial procedures: usually she makes a preliminary investigation about them before introducing them to Ryo).

Ryo is in love with Kaori. But he will –usually- never admit it –openly- (I’m pretty sure he thinks his deceased best friend’s little sister is off limits). And he can’t stop himself of flirting with his clients (sorts of. He will try wooing his client and cajoling her in becoming his girlfriend and/or making… stuff. She will bash him. He will persist. And right when finally she gives in and decides he isn’t so horrible how he seems and she likes him after all, he will lose his nerve, think he isn’t good enough for her or she will be better off without him or he isn’t ready for settling down, and run away).

Kaori is in love with Ryo. But she will –usually- never admit it –openly- . However she isn’t impressed with her partner’s lecherous ways and his tries for seducing their clients. And frequently she will express her displeasure and stop his –pretty pitiful and crass- seduction attempts. And she will do so in very, very, VERY “blunt” and painful ways. Her favorite weapons are one-hundred-tons wood mallets.

Sometimes a client or friend will ask Ryo why he can’t dodge one mallet –or whatever Kaori is striking him and flattening him with- if he can dodge one bullet. He will answer he can’t dodge it for some reason, and it is like if his body doesn’t WANT dodging it. Usually the woman will laugh knowingly and he will protest: “Hey! It isn’t like that!”

However the series isn’t only comical. It also can be very dramatic, and it has countless heartwarming moments. One example of how it alternates between comical, sad and tender moments was
when Kaori found about Ryo’s past --Click here to view--
a Ryo’s old friend revealed to her Ryo’s family was traveling with his parents when the plane they were flying in crashed down in a Central American jungle. His parents died but he survived despite he was three-years old, and was brought up in a war-torn village. The guerrilla inhabiting that town had no use for children, so they trained him to become a soldier. He also was used as a test subject for a LSD derivative which resulted in him developing superhuman reflexes – and sex drive. He fought in that country’s civil war before escaping to the United States and later to Japan where he met Hideyuki and formed the “City Hunter” agency.

Ryo had never told that story to her because he was afraid of Kaori got upset and left. Kaori was upset, but because he hadn’t trusted her with his secret and not because he had led a life was very different to hers. They talked things over… and Ryo ended up the conversation by kissing Kaori’s forehead (now I think about it, Dan kissing Tsunade’s forehead echoes from that scene… Mm… I think Kishimoto said he used to watch City Hunter).

Kaori blushed, and she got shocked and paralyzed. Unfortunately, she got so shocked she spent the entire night outside, and she got sick.

Do you see? A sad moment followed by a heartwarming one, and by a comical one.

Other characters include: Saeko Nogami (an old Ryo’s flame. She is smart, gorgeous, and exploitative. He is constantly trying sleeping with her, and she takes advantage of his lecherousness to cajole him in making all kind of dirty jobs), Umibozu (a rival sweeper Ryo met back in South America when both of them were soldiers. They have a friends/enemies/allies kind of relationship), Miki (a beautiful ex-mercenary who runs a Coffee shop and is totally in love with Umibozu. Ryo is still trying wrapping his mind around that fact), Reika Nogami (one of Saeko’s little sisters. She is just so exploitative like her older sister, but she alleges it is very different because Saeko depends on men for making her dirty jobs whereas she simply uses them. Ryo and Kaori can’t get what the difference is)…

In a nutshell, City Hunter is a shonen manga includes action, romance, humor, beautiful women and an excellent art. It ran from 1985 to 1991, lasting thirty-five volumes, and it spawned several animes, films OVAs and even a live- action film starred by Jackie Chan (which is just as good as you’d expect and I suggest avoiding).

I recommend this series wholeheartedly. Oh, and the manga is way better than the anime.

You can read it online here: link (however I wonder if that site hosts the entire manga. They claim it is completed, but the series is thirty-five volumes long as far I as know, and that site hosts thirty-four volumes). And you can watch the anime shows in this link: link.

Kimagure Orange Road --Click here to view--

High school student, Kyosuke Kasuga, has just moved in a new city for sixth time. He is climbing up a long stairs as he explores his new hometown, when he sees a red hat slowly drifting down and towards him. Kyosuke catches the hat and runs upstairs to find the owner: a beautiful, raven-haired girl. He blushes and they talk cheerfully before parting ways. Kyosuke decides he really likes the new place.

Later, when he is starting in his new high school, he finds the mysterious girl again. He tries talking to her, but this time she pretends not knowing who he is and treats him coldly. One of his new friends tells he should stay away from Madoka Ayukawa: She –and her friend Hikaru Hiyama- are infamous outcast and trouble-makers, they are always getting involved in fights (Madoka usually doesn’t begin any fights but she always ends them up), hanging out with weird people and breaking the school’s rules.

Kyosuke doesn’t believe him and doesn’t pay attention to his warnings. Later, however, he finds Madoka and her friend Hikaru smoking (his little sisters had found them first, and Hikaru was menacing them with a severe beating if they rated them out). Again, Madoka pretends she doesn’t know who he is. He outloud says they shouldn’t be smoking. His advice warns him a slap, several insults and a good amount of scorn.

Later, he is pondering if the same girl he talked and laughed with, the same girl warmly smiled to him can be the same girl who ignored him, insulted him, slapped him and treated him like if he was a gnat flitting and buzzing around her.

However, he is falling in love with her and he tries befriending her. His tries are successful, and Madoka starts warm up to him and open up to him. However, Hikaru also falls in love with Kyosuke, and she pursues him very aggressively, even asking Madoka support and help to win over Kyosuke’s heart (completely ignoring what Kyosuke is in love with Madoka). Madoka is slowly falling in love with Kyosuke, but she can’t deny anything to her best friend/surrogate sister, and promises supporting her instead of telling what she feels (silently vowing staying out of Hikaru’s way).

On the other hand, Kyosuke loves Madoka, and he likes Hikaru… but not how Hikaru wishes. But he doesn’t want break her heart, so he is unable to tell her that. Or make up his mind about whom dating. So he accepts when she asks him going out, and Hikaru is completely oblivious to his and –Madoka’s- feelings.

Moreover, he has to worry about another constant source of troubles and headaches: his late mother –and all of his relatives on his mother’s side- was ESPer (it means his father isn’t an ESPer, but Kyosuke and his sisters are). That is the reason they have moved out six times: someone slipped up the secret, used his or her psychic powers in public, and they ran away in order to live a normal life, without people thinking they were weird folk.

Needless to say, those psychic powers often just create troubles instead of solving them and are an endless source of complications for Kyosuke. He doesn’t want moving out a seventh time (especially not now he has met Madoka and Hikaru), but often he is forced to use his skills, trying nobody ever finds out.

And then you have his sisters (Manami and Kurumi) are unable to use their powers discreetly, his high school friends (Komatsu and Hatta) who are two perverts are constantly getting him in trouble, his cousin Kazuya who is a kid constantly uses his body-switching and mind-reading skills to meddle with Kyosuke’s life, his cousin Akane who is obsessed with Madoka and admires her, thinks her cousin and Hikaru are perfect together and uses her shape-shifting power to try strengthening their relationship (and creating more troubles for Kyosuke)…

That blend of romance and fantasy elements made it standing out between other romance mangas and created one of the most popular anime love triangles. Kimagure Orange Road is one of the most popular shonen (yes, SHONEN) manga in the eighties, due to their endearing characters (Kyosuke is stupid and clumsy but loveable, Madoka is enigmatic and mercurial, and Hikaru is explosively cheerful and tender; and all of them grown up evolve throughout the manga), and his mixture of humor and romance. The anime adaptation was incredibly successful, and Madoka Ayukawa became one of the most popular anime characters in that decade.

The manga is eighteen volumes long and lasted from 1984 to 1987. It spawned an anime series, several OVAs and films. The entirety of it has been subtitled and released in USA by AnimEigo in LD, VHS and DVD but the second movie (which has been translated by ADV films).

It is highly recommendable if you like romance series.

You can find the manga here: link. And you can watch the anime in this site: link.

Edited by Jenskott, 06 October 2010 - 11:25 AM.

#14 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

Ah yeah, City Hunter. I used to read it during my last years of elementary school (dun ask...). the manga is currently being sequeled under different name: Angel Heart which centers around Ryo and Kaori's adopted daughter.

#15 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

Ah yeah, City Hunter. I used to read it during my last years of elementary school (dun ask...). the manga is currently being sequeled under different name: Angel Heart which centers around Ryo and Kaori's adopted daughter.

Don't worry, it isn't anything to be ashamed of.

However I don't think I'd call Angel Heart a sequel. I think Hojo has said it is more like a story happens in an alternate future.

#16 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (Jenskott @ Oct 7 2010, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't worry, it isn't anything to be ashamed of.

However I don't think I'd call Angel Heart a sequel. I think Hojo has said it is more like a story happens in an alternate future.

*Shrugs* I still think the story makes sense as a direct sequel and thats enough for me ._.

Another 1 to add to the list:

- Kotaro / Kotaro Makaritou-ru

The story centered around the Super perverted delinquent high school student Shindo Kotaro. His main goal in the story is pretty much to mess around, stealing panties and collecting money to rebuild his Karate club. However, there is also another side of his person: He is actually a super multi-talented expert (From Karate, Judo, Ninjutsu to Music Bands) and known to be unbeatable in fights. Accompanied by his childhood friend, Watase mayumi and his friends/rivals, especially Tenkouji Teruhiko and Yoshioka Tetsuya, he takes challenges from people who dare to mess with his everyday life.

Edited by BlackLightning, 07 October 2010 - 07:47 AM.

#17 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

Ah, KOR and City Hunter- brings back fond memories of the early fansub years, when you eagerly anticipated getting that VHS tape in the mail and watching fuzzy images and fuzzy subtitles. wink.gif And while part of the City Hunter manga was eventually officially translated, I only have read KOR in scanalations.

I majorly shipped Kaori and Ryo in City Hunter- wasn't sure if Ryo would ever grow up enough to stop chasing other women and let the romance that had been building between Kaori and Ryo happen. In KOR I shipped Madoka and Kyosuke and I knew they'd end up being the final couple.

In Sailor Moon, Usagi and Mamoru didn't really click for me- not even in the manga or even the recent live action TV adaption- Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon. In the manga and anime adaption I did however ship Haruka and Michiru- first lesbian couple I ever shipped. Takeuchi plays with the stereotypical images of the butch/femme couple, but portrays them as very romantic and psychologically healthy (which was a breakthrough in shoujo manga of that time. Up to that time lesbian couples had been portrayed as psychologically messed up and often abusive (ditto for gay male portrayals in shonen-ai/yaoi) and shonen and seinen yuri was just porn) Michiru is very feminine in looks and demeanor, but she's the "more dominant"- without being domineering of the two. Their relationship was portrayed very realistically and positively. They weren't in the live action adaption, but Naoko's script outlines developed my third favorite character- Makoto and developed a relationship between her and Motoki, that I shipped. Motoki was in the manga and anime (minor character in the manga, slightly more visible in the anime adaption. There was a vague hint in the manga and anime that Motoki kind of liked Makoto but it wasn't really developed. In the live action, Makoto is absolutely the shoujo version of the tsundere type, but Takeuchi still retains her liking and skill in cooking, etc... Motoki is a normal guy who gets caught up in the advennture and adores Makoto because she is so self-assured and tomboyish, when he witnesses her transformation to Sailor Jupiter it just makes him love her more. Makoto kind of thinks of him as a geek, but quickly begins to like him as a friend, she slowly falls in love with him over the season, and at Usagi and Mamoru's wedding (takes place after Usagi graduates high school) Makoto catches the bouquet and Motoki proposes to her. smile.gif

#18 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

Another 1 to add to the list:

- Kotaro / Kotaro Makaritou-ru

I am going to check it first but okay.

Ah, KOR and City Hunter-

I aim to please. wink.gif

I am trying being being varied with my recommendations and mixing mangas of different genres and eras so anyone can find something to his or her linking.

I also endeavour to list several shonen or seinen manga where romance is the main theme or one of the main themes because I am tired of that widespread "shonen is only fights! you can't expect finding romance on a shonen manga! Romance never is important in shonen mangas!" nosense.

brings back fond memories of the early fansub years, when you eagerly anticipated getting that VHS tape in the mail and watching fuzzy images and fuzzy subtitles. And while part of the City Hunter manga was eventually officially translated, I only have read KOR in scanalations.

I still remember what it was like buying tapes and watching them hundred of times until the image was completlely fuzzy. Man, it takes me back.

Unfortunately I was cleaning my apartment the last month and I had to throw away all of my old tapes. I regretted it, because I was tossing away countless, fond memories of my teenhood but I had no choice. Moreover, my VCR was broken so it isn't like if was able to watch them anyway.

I majorly shipped Kaori and Ryo in City Hunter- wasn't sure if Ryo would ever grow up enough to stop chasing other women and let the romance that had been building between Kaori and Ryo happen.

Yes, Ryo growing up sounded like an alien concept. Nevertheless, I also am a Ryo/Kaori shipper. Sometimes I wished shoving one of them on each other so the two of them stopped beating around the bush and driving everyone else crazy with their unresolved sexual tension, and started making out at last.

In KOR I shipped Madoka and Kyosuke and I knew they'd end up being the final couple.

Yes, it was very obvious from the beginning, and I was a shipper.

But even though Madoka was my favorite, I developed a soft spot for Hikaru at the end of the series. She had always seemed a tad childish compared with Madoka (it is understandable because she was two years younger), but at the end she proved being not only incredibly forgiving but also more mature than her best friends had given her credit for.
Spoilers for the end of KOR --Click here to view--
I still remember the end scene between Madoka and her. Madoka is basically running away (because she can't stop loving Kyosuke but she can't break her friend's heart either), and Hikaru has found out about the truth at last. Hikaru confronts her, but Madoka still try denying everything. Hikaru asks her stopping lying her, and Madoka thinks their friendship is broken, but Hikaru reminds her they are sisters in all ways but blood, and states it is Madoka whom Kyosuke loves, not her. I was very impressed: Madoka had sepnt years thinking Hikaru could break her friendship cause one boy, but that was the last thing Hikaru would do. In short, sweet, carefree, naive Hikaru proved being more mature than her older friend.

I wish the movie would have portrayed all characters like this. Again, the original manga is the superior version of the story.

I wasn't so impressed when I found Hikaru-bashing fanfics and anti-Hikaru rants. Vividly I remember one of them stating if Hikarau would dissapear, the story would not change and in fact the manga would be better.

That is funny because Izumi Matsumoto showed in one chapter if Hikaru didn't exist, Kyosuke and Madoka wouldn't be together, and Madoka would be a worse person.

Oh, well. Time for one update. It will be shorter than usual because right now I have little time.

Mobile Suit Gundam --Click here to view--

Mobile Suit Gundam was the first Gundam anime which has spawned dozens of cartoons, mangas, anime shows, films, OVAs. And it still remains how one of the most popular shows in the franchise.

The history of the Gundam Universe starts when the humankind manages building the first space colony. That world-changing event starts off the Universal Century. More colonies are built, and people massively migrate to the new worlds.

Nearly eighty years later, the Principality of Zeon (one of the new colonies) declares independence from the Earth Federation, and launches a war of independence. The conflict affects every continent on Earth, and nearly every space colony and lunar settlement. The Earth Federation has superior numbers and sources, but Zeon has the tactical upper hand through their use of a new type of humanoid weapons called mobile suits. Through the curse of the war the Zeon military decimates the Federation fleet, annihilates much of the humanity with chemical weapons, nearly ends the war in a stroke by dropping a WHOLE BLOODY COLONY on the planet, and invades Earth. Finally, after eight months of battles, the war has settled into a stalemate. The half of the humanity has perished by now.

While they were fighting a losing ballet on Earth, the Federation developed its own mobile suits, successfully creating the prototype Gundam. While doing final tests on the Gundam in a faraway space colony, they are attacked by a Zeon squad led by Char Aznable (ace pilot and one of the main antagonists in the series). After a convoluted series of events, Amuro Rei (the main character who had been an ordinary high school student until that moment. Then again, he was son of the Gundam builder so maybe he wasn’t so ordinary) finds the Gundam and steps into the cockpit in order to save the colony. Instantly is pulled into the war between the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon.

Amuro hates it. He hates fighting and he hates killing people. But in spite of he hates the war and he is a rookie pilot, he has a great potential, his fighting and piloting skills improve with each battle and the overwhelming, crushing power of the Gundam helps to compensate for his early lack of experience. However, each won battle, each enemy killed are changing him… and not for the best.

And above all he constantly wonders why he has to fight and kill people he doesn’t hate but he even admires.

Mobile Suit Gundam is the original real robot series. Even though earlier super robot animes established the first foundations of the real robot genre (Gaiking was the first robot anime used real astronomy; one of the main themes of Ga-Kin was the love story between the main characters; Tosho Daimos’ enemies weren’t evil or wanted annihilate the humanity but they were being deceiving and manipulated in fighting the Earthians…), Gundam was the first full-fledged series featured all of the key elements.

It started in 1979 as a planned fifty-two-episodes series, but the number of episodes was cut down to forty-three due to awfully low ratings (it is hard to believe, I know that). However the merchandise sold pretty well, and the series went straight in syndication, where it finally found its audience and eventually spawned the massive franchise.

This series is where all of it began. The anime has been licensed in USA. If you want reading the manga, the most recent version is being drawn by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (one of the creators of the original show). It is called Gundam The Origin and you can find scanlations of it here: link. And here: link. Unfortunately I haven’t found one place where the scanlations are complete so far.

You can watch the anime here: link.

#19 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:12 AM

Another Mangas to add:

- Kung Fu Boy / Tekken Chinmi (1983 - 1997): Follows the journey of Chinmi, a Kung Fu prodigy in china during the reign of emperors age who spend most of his time on a journey going from places to places saving people using his kung fu and eventually even got famous and invited into the kung fu competition at the capital. The story is quite interesting and I especially love the details that the author (Maekawa Takeshi) put into his work.

- Kenji : Another Martial Art manga, this one follows the story of Goh Kenji, a japanese boy with deep passion for learning martial arts. The main selling point for this manga for me is in the detailed and factual knowledge put into it. Especially regarding the training methods, moves even the name of the techniques shows how much the author does his research about the subject.

- Sakikage Otokojuku: Yes, the third martial arts manga for today. The difference with the first two? This one is MASSIVELY action and comedy and as far as the techniques are concerned, most (if not all) of them are fictions. I still like this one though coz of the art style and the cool techniques (And blood goes everywhere... literally) and how this manga actually ventures into the area where most action mangas afraid to treat on: Bloody battles with ACTUAL blood drawn and a VERY messy death (One of their character actually died by literally vaporizing himself after the battle coz he don't wanna b seen as weak.)

#20 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

Those shows sound interesting.

Ronin Warriors --Click here to view--

Originally it was called “Yoroiden Samurai Troopers”, but it was renamed “Ronin Warriors” when it was aired in America. It was one of the sentai shonen anime born during the “warriors wearing empathic armor” trend (which Saint Seiya began), and it was brought to America in 1995, trying cashing in the Power Rangers popularity.

Several centuries ago, Arago, supreme lord of the Netherworld, invaded Japan as a part of his plan for conquering the mortal world. Possessing a dark armor greatly increased his vast powers a leading a legion of undead, nothing seemed being able to stop him. However, a single warrior defeated him in battle, and split up his armor in nine parts so he was unable to use his entire power. Defeated and humiliated, Arago retreated to the Netherworld to scheme his next movement.

Meanwhile, the warrior who defeated him magically transformed the pieces of his armor in full-fledged, individual armors, and hid them. Eventually Arago managed retrieving four parts of his amor and he gave them to his four best warriors (in reality he was lending them temporarily, but he didn't mention that tiny, insignificant detail). However, he didn't manage finding the remainder five armors. And they would be inherited by heroes.

Modern age. Arago barges brutally in the mortal world, crashing down his phantom stronghold on Tokyo. Several persons witnessed the horrific catastrophe: Mia Koji, a young student and investigator of Japanese legends and ancient artifacts, Yulie, a young boy accompanying her, and five young and well-built teens, clad in colored armor.

One of them, -Ryo, the main character- is wandering the city followed by his white tiger pet. When one of the soldiers of the Evil Dynasty –the Arago’s army-, attacks Mia and Julie, Ryo steps in and begins a fight. The mayhem draws in the battle to the four remainder warriors and the five of them defeat the enemy. However, Arago casts them to the four winds before they can get ready to strike him down, and it is up to Mia and Yulie find them and reunite them before Arago destroys the world. However, unbeknownst to them, Arago controls four powerful, armored warlords, ready to obey his bidding. And he sends them to track down and destroy the five ronin warriors before Mia and Yulie can find them…

The original anime spawned many OVAs and films, and even a manga version. Despite the Western version was horribly cut down and dubbed, and the plot suffered through many alterations, this thirty-nine episodes long anime became really popular in the nineties and it paved the way for later anime shows being dubbed and aired.

You can watch the anime in this site: link

And I warn it's possible my summary isn't very accurate. I apologize. It has been a while since I watched the cartoon (even though I really loved it).

Oh! My Goddess --Click here to view--

Sometimes what you wish is EXACTLY what you get.

Keiichi Morisato is a nice albeit hapless college freshman who is often imposed upon by his elder dorm-mates and brow-beaten into taking phone messages and doing miscellaneous chores for them.

One day, while he is alone in his dorm, he decides ordering pizza over the phone, but he accidentally calls the Goddess Technical Help Line, and a beautiful goddess named Belldandy –Norse Goddess of the Present and one of the three Norns-, materializes in his room (through a mirror was right behind him. Cue panicking and yelling) and she tells him that her agency has received a system request from him, so she has been sent to grant him a single wish.

Believing it is all a prank from his roommates, he wishes she stays with him forever.

To his surprise (and utter shock and panic), his wish is granted. Belldandy must stay with him, but as his dormitory is strictly male-only, they are both forced onto the street.

They set off on his motorcycle to find alternative shelter, and eventually seek cover in an old Buddhist temple. In the morning, they are greeted by the temple's sole inhabitant, a young monk, who welcomes them and gives them permission to stay until they can find permanent lodging. However, after several odd incidents, the priest decides go on a pilgrimage to India, and gives the couple permission to remain in the temple so long as they continue to maintain it.

After having found a new home, Belldandy and Keiichi start a sweet, low-key romance, as they attend Nekomi Institute of Technology. However, the tries of Keiichi for exploring their relationship are continuously disrupted by the crazy schemes of his friends, the attempts of third parties by split them up (like Sayoko Mishima, a girl tries seducing Keiichi so Belldandy leaves and she can again be the queen of the college, but slowly starts falling in love with the clumsy, honest and kind boy. Or her cousin Toshiyuki, who takes a fancy on Belldandy), and all supernatural weirdness Belldandy attracts and he must survive to.

And then shows up Megumi, Keiichi’s younger and cheerful sister, and a troublemaker on her own right.

And then shows up Urd, Belldandy’s elder sister (Norn of the Past) who owns more power than Belldandy, less self-control than Belldandy and is more prone to anger bursts (with explosive consequences). Oh, and she likes drinking sake a lot. She is irritated because their relationship hasn’t yet moved further in deeper levels of intimacy, and tries “helping”. Needless to say, her assistance isn’t wanted or welcome and it creates more and more troubles.

And then shows up Skuld, Belldandy and Urd’s temperamental and –too-enthusiastic little sister (and Norn of the Future), who is obsessed with technology –and ice cream-, thinks Keiichi isn’t good for her sister and tries sabotaging their relationship every so often.

And then shows up the demon Mara, who has a grudge against the goddesses…

And this is only a tiny part of the cast of the series, which includes characters of Norse Heaven, Hell and Nekomi Institute.

Ah! My Goddess combines the finest elements of America's 1960s "supernatural sitcoms" with a tender and sweet love story, lighthearted slapstick comedy and intense drama. It is a seinen manga, but its light-hearted nature makes it receivable to a wider audience.

It is a long-running manga (it began in 1987 and it is STILL ongoing), and it has been compiled in forty-one volumes so far. It spawned a five-part OVAs series which was successful and allowed two TV series and a film were made. It is a very sweet, funny story and it is highly recommendable.

You can read the manga in this site: manga. And watching the OVAs here: OVAs. And the Anime series here: Season 2; and here: Season 2

Edit: Oh, crap. I don't know what happened when I edited the first post, but the formatting is all messed up, and the links don't work right now. I am going to fix it, but it'll possibly take some hours. Please, be patient until then. If someone is in a hurry for reading or watching, the links on the other posts work perfectly.

Edit 2: Thank God I have beeen able to fix the trouble. Finally.

Edited by Jenskott, 11 October 2010 - 10:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users