WikiLeaks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
62 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:38 PM

I don't understand why the US won't just arrest this guy already, for illegally hacking to get this info in the first place, and possible treason for putting *so* many lives at risk time and time again:

http://news.yahoo.co...pe/us_wikileaks

#2 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

The guy was willing to censor some of the stuffs (names of informants, agents, etc....) but the government isn't willing to cooperate. If they could strike a deal with him, then at least their credibility can be somewhat maintained or at least make themselves look good in the eyes of some people. If he's willing to hack Iran and N.Korea, I think it'll get them on their good side.

Anybody think they might be able to uncover the JFK conspiracy??

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#3 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:10 PM

Sometimes the government can use the media for their advantage in apprehending criminals or other political gain. I know for a fact several good hackers that are caught by the feds get life in prison or hired to work for the government. How do you think they improve anti-virus and theft software ?

Edited by Dreamer, 28 November 2010 - 04:14 PM.

#4 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Nov 28 2010, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't understand why the US won't just arrest this guy already, for illegally hacking to get this info in the first place, and possible treason for putting *so* many lives at risk time and time again:

He's just one guy, if Wikileaks were to be shut down it would take money and resources to send the entire operation downward. Besides the have the main suspect in custody and the face is Swedish.

I'm all for opening up things to the truth but Wikileaks needs to be shut down.

#5 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:40 PM

AND Thank you for proving my point Wikileaks. They're screwing everyone.

However I am now interested in the Libyan dictator's blonde ukranian nurse.

Edited by Insurrection, 28 November 2010 - 08:50 PM.

#6 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 28 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

Mmm, democracy; smells like controversy, failure, and leaking of important government information for electoral gain.

#7 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Nov 28 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mmm, democracy; smells like controversy, failure, and leaking of important government information for electoral gain.

Your cynicism never ceases to amaze my apathy towards it.

#8 Zero BD

Zero BD

nishishishi

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Mostly drawing, playing games and watching anime. Normal things, I think.

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:02 AM

I really want to punch the people leaking this documents.

why yes. that is my adorable sister hugging a dakimura. got a problem?

#9 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 29 November 2010 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Nov 28 2010, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The problem is the US authorities aren't sure HOW Julian Assange got the documents in the first place; it looks like it may have been an inside job, just like the Iraq/Afghanistan war leaks. I'm sure arrests will be made as they piece together exactly what happened.

I do agree that it is irresponsible of Wikileaks, those documents could deal a lot of damage to international relations. One of our UK papers has got the whole lot of cables, so I'm sure there will be big revelations on what the US thinks of the UK and its authorities.

#10 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:25 PM

The public front will consist of reviews and iquiries and scandal along with legal action, but Assange crossed a bridge too far. I wouldn't be surprised by a Mossad style crackdown, inside the United States Government and around the world. It doesn't matter if you're doing it in the name of transparency if you let it flow from a faucet once and awhile it'll be quiet if it flows like a river into a village someone is going to build a dam.

That Private who gave them this is in a whole mess of trouble.

Edited by Insurrection, 29 November 2010 - 07:33 PM.

#11 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Nov 28 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your cynicism never ceases to amaze my apathy towards it.

Love you too. love.gif

#12 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:45 AM

Uh huh. Anyway.

THEY'RE AT IT AGAIN!!!

Wikileaks' head is now stating he's going to reveal Corporate Secrets of a Major US Bank. My money is on Goldman Sachs.

Edited by Insurrection, 30 November 2010 - 01:47 AM.

#13 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Nov 29 2010, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh huh. Anyway.

THEY'RE AT IT AGAIN!!!

Wikileaks' head is now stating he's going to reveal Corporate Secrets of a Major US Bank. My money is on Goldman Sachs.

I'd much rather he'd gone after them, they are the ones responsible for the economic collapse and all their crooked dealings should be revealed. Back in my childhood that's what the press did- it was called investigative journalism- even network TV news media did it. Crooked business people quaked in their boots at the phrase- "60 minutes is here".
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#14 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Nov 29 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd much rather he'd gone after them, they are the ones responsible for the economic collapse and all their crooked dealings should be revealed. Back in my childhood that's what the press did- it was called investigative journalism- even network TV news media did it. Crooked business people quaked in their boots at the phrase- "60 minutes is here".

There's still a difference between this and the Pentagon Papers, I think the motives are completely different, this is downloading state secrets and handing them to a foreign individual who is using them to influence a group's own agenda.

Now I think they'd be more popular with this banking sting then just revealing everything without care for individuals and giving demands to give advanced access to media companies.

However that being said I think reading through what was actually released has some strange positives. http://news.blogs.cn...release/?hpt=T2

The candid summary of intellectual diplomats on world leaders and relations. Turns out the Arabs still hate the Persians, Iran was using the Red Cresent to transport weapons to Hezbollah, China's opinion of North Korea has dramatically soured. Some individuals are actually leaning towards a unifed Korea under the South.

Edited by Insurrection, 30 November 2010 - 03:55 AM.

#15 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:36 AM

The funny things is that the majority of this stuff is memcons, ((Memo of conversations)) which agents and gov employees have to fill out when they interact with foreign agents. Msot of this stuff basiclaly is stuff that some 20+30 years down the line will be released anyways, and even more funny is that most of it doesnt even need to be secret in the first place.

The actual process to make things secret is even broken, when you consider that I could stamp a phonebook with a top secret label and inspite of there being a dozen million phone books exactly like it out there, it would take an act of congress to remove its top secret rating.

that said I look forward to the banks being exposed, hopefully even worse then what Michael Moore did to them.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#16 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

as much as i like the "privacy" of our public government paid by taxes, i do think that this "privacy" is what leads to conspiracy theories, i think government should be more open, or at the very least make it look like it's open. Instead of putting they're CIA's and their secret service in dark suits, and glasses, they should find something more in tune with democracy and less like a corporate dictatorship.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#17 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:59 AM

True enough to an extent. Its a balancing act like always between security of the nation and people which is a valid concern, and transparency which has been sorely lacking and gives rise to corruption which hides in the shadows.

Hell this most recent election was a prime example of corruption due to the citizns united decision allowing multiple donors including foregin companies to secretly donate to campaigns nationwide.

There are things which are top secret which date back to WWII. Items of espionage and warfare which are still used todya due to their effectivness. These arent thee type of secrets you want getitng into the hands of unfriendly foreign powers.

Edited by catsi563, 30 November 2010 - 09:40 PM.

My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#18 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:30 AM

I'm can't possible be the only person that don't trust one single word of what the government is saying. C'mon guys, just think about it, the U.S. government says that by leaking this informations countless lifes will be endangered by showing this documents to everyone, but how? And why? They didn't gave an proper explanation as far as I understood, to be honest, I think this is nothing but an excuse to prevent them from releasing information that will compromise the U.S.A government credibility around the world and with the own Country citizens themselfs. They are not saints, they probaly have, just as any other government their own dirty secrets that they don't want to show, could be anything, war crimes, corruption (what an surprise), executions, Witness eliminations, cover ups. Remember, it's same government that stated 30 years ago that "the world would be doomed if we tryed to enter in contact with the communists", wich wasn't the case, they weren't the bad guys, just an country that have an different politics. I just know one thing, as much as this hackers are not the good guys in this story, the U.S.A. government aren't neither.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#19 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:00 AM

Update -

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/wikileaks

#20 Zero BD

Zero BD

nishishishi

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Mostly drawing, playing games and watching anime. Normal things, I think.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 03:36 AM

If Interpol is getting involved, I'm just wondering when the next leak will finally push DoD to act.

why yes. that is my adorable sister hugging a dakimura. got a problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users