#21 Juujuu

Juujuu

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:God, art, literature, music, anime, romance, internet, friends

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:25 AM

Agreed! His performance holds up with those of JD (no bias XD) and the other prestigious actors out there. I think the reason his role broke everyone's brains is because it centered around him being psychotic-- it's the unknown that seems to appeal so much. Cheers :indeed:

OMG U R? WAI SO ...uh GONE?! 8D
[/quote]

*nods in agreement!

And I has been boggled by the curse known as school and a job DDD8 but BEHOLD, KRISK-BABEH!!!! YOUR JUU-MOMMAH LIVVVEEESSSS!!!!
"Balthier is Sexy" Fangirl Army - SECOND IN COMMAND JUUJUU!

#22 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (krisk)
Prestigious.... well I think it's the best of the best on there, so that's why it's so serious business.

Heath was generally the best on any list this year. But honestly I'd have preferred if he and The Dark Knight had been shut out from the Oscars completely. That way the little films actors could have those oh so wonderful statues that take their career absolutely nowhere and everyone would continue to not watch the Academy Awards.

The Dark Knight had already won every award that actually mattered.

But I suppose it's nice icing on the cake, so eh.

Edited by dl316bh, 23 February 2009 - 05:30 AM.

bd5.jpg

#23 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (Juujuu @ Feb 22 2009, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*nods in agreement!

And I has been boggled by the curse known as school and a job DDD8 but BEHOLD, KRISK-BABEH!!!! YOUR JUU-MOMMAH LIVVVEEESSSS!!!!

OOF-TOOPIX:

XDD i hear ya. I'm only here during the weekends when I can break free from the chains of MENTAL AND PHYSICAL OPPRESSION DD8

and yay juu mama miaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wow.png

do i have three dad's too wot.gif

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Feb 22 2009, 11:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heath was generally the best on any list this year. But honestly I'd have preferred if he and The Dark Knight had been shut out from the Oscars completely. That way the little films actors could have those oh so wonderful statues that take their career absolutely nowhere and everyone would continue to not watch the Academy Awards.

The Dark Knight had already won every award that actually mattered.

But I suppose it's nice icing on the cake, so eh.

I sense this as a trap... >w>

HAHHH naw I'd have to disagree to only an extent XD I'm pretty sure that mostly every movie got their just deserves! Slumdog, Milk, Frost/Nixon, Wall-E (YEEEEEEEES), and the rest of the great movies of 2008.

Anyway what else? Oh! What did you guys think of the Joaquin Phoenix spoof? It was highlarious enough yeah, but I felt sorta bad for the ...what was it, cinematography award section. I thought it sorta stole the thunder of that award... :<

#24 Kag19

Kag19

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:I have a degree in Film and TV and am working on obtaining a masters degree in screen writing. I spend most of my time reviewing scripts at work and at home. Yup, I'm the lucky person who gets to sort through all the submitted screenplays and ends up reading them and providing script coverage to the producers. I enjoy working in development but I hope one day to branch out and work in other areas of production. For example, post production, I love to edit films and I wouldn't mind working on set either. My ultimate goal is to one day become a producer/writer.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

Tonight’s win was bittersweet. Heath was a great actor and wonderful person. I only wish he could have been here in person to accept such an honor. Heath was versatile at character roles and could play any part easily. He was a man of great talents. It was a decade ago that he was first discovered. He auditioned for a role in the teen movie, “Ten things I hate about you” and won the role. He beat many other actors.

He portrayed human emotion so well in each character he played. He played both bad guys and good guys so convincingly that he captivated his audience with his talent and skills. He was always committed to all his projects and he possessed the skills that made him a great actor. I hope that we remember Heath not as the guy who played the Joker but the brilliant actor who left us several films to forever cherish and remember him by.

I’ve been a fan of Heath since I first saw him in a Knight’s Tale (2001) and the Patriot (2000) and Ned Kelly (2003). I loved his performance in Broken Mountain and Casanova. I’ve seen mostly all his films. When he died, I was really sad. I’m so happy that he he won an Oscar. He really deserved it.

Lastly, Heath’s last film, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus is going to be released this year. Although he didn’t complete the film because of his death, I’m sure all his fans and family will forever remember his final moments on screen for the extraordinary person and actor that he was. Congratulations Heath! :thumbs:

Edited by Kag19, 23 February 2009 - 06:16 AM.

Naruto Live action is here

#25 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (krisk @ Feb 22 2009, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-snip-

Wow.

This makes me wonder what you're saying now that Sean Penn won for a homosexual role.

Just saying.

-snip-

What? I don't really understand how this is related to my post that you quoted. Maybe because I don't know who Sean Penn is... I don't bother remembering names of actors and I don't watch that many movies. Nor do I really care about the Academy Awards. Please elaborate.

My point was that if you guys were just making a thread for congratulating Heath Ledger, or any other actor, on his performance and his win... that's fine. I think Ledger was a great actor. I loved Knight's Tale and although I didn't enjoy The Dark Knight as much as other people, I thought Ledger did great. The thing is... this thread wasn't created just because you guys like Heath Ledger... this thread was created because he's dead. You're congratulating him and not the other winners because he's dead. If he were still alive, he'd be just another winner and this thread wouldn't even exist.

Note: I didn't read any other post after the one I just quoted.
Pretty bored.

#26 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Feb 23 2009, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What? I don't really understand how this is related to my post that you quoted. Maybe because I don't know who Sean Penn is... I don't bother remembering names of actors and I don't watch that many movies. Nor do I really care about the Academy Awards. Please elaborate.

My point was that if you guys were just making a thread for congratulating Heath Ledger, or any other actor, on his performance and his win... that's fine. I think Ledger was a great actor. I loved Knight's Tale and although I didn't enjoy The Dark Knight as much as other people, I thought Ledger did great. The thing is... this thread wasn't created just because you guys like Heath Ledger... this thread was created because he's dead. You're congratulating him and not the other winners because he's dead. If he were still alive, he'd be just another winner and this thread wouldn't even exist.

take it easy laugh.gif

this thread aint hurtin nobody, Mik3's happy he won, big deal, im glad he won too, youre making too much of it. if youre concenred about the others make a thread for them happy.gif

Edited by Illmatic, 23 February 2009 - 01:19 PM.

#27 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

Maybe because I don't know who Sean Penn is...

Don't feel bad, he's not exactly a household name. Probably the biggest project he's starred in was Carlito's Way sixteen years ago; and that was with second billing to Al Pacino. The most he's really all that known for is his political views and winning an Academy Award or two.

Nor do I really care about the Academy Awards.

You're also not alone in that either. Not too many people pay much attention to them anymore. Frankly if it weren't for Heath Ledgers nomination I don't even think anyone would be talking about the show.

If he were still alive, he'd be just another winner and this thread wouldn't even exist.

I kind of doubt it. We're talking about a high profile performance in a very high profile film. Ten to one a thread like this would have been created had he won because, and I mean no disrespect and I'm not trying to be snarky when I say this, no one would have tuned into the Academy Awards otherwise. Their ratings have been on a relatively steep downslide for a number of years now; the only time people even tune in anymore is when something like The Dark Knight or Lord of the Rings turns up in there.

When the Academy Awards get decent ratings one year, you need only look at the award recipients because a big film probably slipped in there somwhere.

Edited by dl316bh, 23 February 2009 - 01:31 PM.

bd5.jpg

#28 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Feb 23 2009, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is... this thread wasn't created just because you guys like Heath Ledger... this thread was created because he's dead. You're congratulating him and not the other winners because he's dead. If he were still alive, he'd be just another winner and this thread wouldn't even exist.

mellow.gif ok...so you're going to judge all of us? Whatever you want.

The Oscars aren't exactly all that prestigious these days. They're horribly selective and will completely exclude movies whether they are deserving or not if they deem them too mainstream. No thanks. You either celebrate all of the best of the best or you can't claim yourself as an awards show that rewards genius.

I agree, they tend to nominate the movies they consider creative, and not just what peopl around the world are being captivated by.
\

#29 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Flag Football, Anime, Indoor Wall Climbing, Hiking, Running

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

I was very happy he won as well. I felt he was an extremely gifted actor and he took on the role of the Joker to a whole new level. I do think that the magnatude of the movie played a small role in solidifying his victory. Mainly because if you ask anyone on the street which of those movies they've seen and which of those actors did the best, most would pick Batman and the Joker. In the comics, the Joker was Batman's arch nemesis and he defined the Batman. And in The Dark Knight Ledger's Joker defined Batman and the movie. Not only that, people walking away from the movie talked about The Joker, not batman. They talked about how creepy, eerie, and sinister the portrayal of one of the most reknown villians, not his death. There are even petitions out for the movie series to not bring back another Joker character because they feel no other actors would be up to the task of following in his footsteps. That, to me, defines an award winning performance.

I don't have anything against any of the other actors for this award. I think they did an amazing job. The only other one I saw was Tropic Thunder. I do feel that every actor nominated was deserving of the Award based on the merits of their performance. Everyone has their preference in movies, and styles, but when it came down to becoming your character and leaving everything else behind, I don't think I've ever seen a better performance. He has set a standard for villainy in all future comic book movies. RIP Ledger.

PS. Just because there is a thread about Ledger does not mean other actors and award winners have any less merit. If someone is a fan of something or someone, they have a right to voice their feelings, opinions on the forum. Just because someone likes something, doesn't mean they discredit everything else. We all post about how much we love NaruSaku. But does that mean we are belittling other Naruto and Sakura pairings? I happen to agree with the author of this post, so I'm replying. smile.gif

#30 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (Illmatic @ Feb 23 2009, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
take it easy laugh.gif

this thread aint hurtin nobody, Mik3's happy he won, big deal, im glad he won too, youre making too much of it. if youre concenred about the others make a thread for them happy.gif

Yeah, this will be my last post. Don't really want to bring the mood in here down.

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Feb 23 2009, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I kind of doubt it. We're talking about a high profile performance in a very high profile film. Ten to one a thread like this would have been created had he won because, and I mean no disrespect and I'm not trying to be snarky when I say this, no one would have tuned into the Academy Awards otherwise. Their ratings have been on a relatively steep downslide for a number of years now; the only time people even tune in anymore is when something like The Dark Knight or Lord of the Rings turns up in there.

When the Academy Awards get decent ratings one year, you need only look at the award recipients because a big film probably slipped in there somwhere.

Well, you probably know more than me... so you may be right.

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Feb 23 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mellow.gif ok...so you're going to judge all of us? Whatever you want.

Nope, I'm just judging you (and people like you). People judge others all the time. It's how the world works.

Most of the replies in this thread seem to be just congratulating him on his performance and how he deserved to win. I have no problem with that.

Maybe dl316bh is right and this thread would have been created even if he were alive and I'm totally wrong. Nobody can know.
Pretty bored.

#31 Tsunade

Tsunade

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:People.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

I give Heath and A+ for trying.

Twitches and movement were excellent, but if he only worked on his voice and that laugh he would have won me over. When he was talking he didn't sound creepy enough for me...

Sadly one little thing keeps me from giving a whole hearted congrats.

But that's just my opinion....
Tsu.gif

#32 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Feb 23 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, I'm just judging you (and people like you). People judge others all the time. It's how the world works.

true
\

#33 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Feb 23 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well now that you've elaborated abit, I'm clued in more XD Before you were so punctual and then you used the " happy.gif " face so I really sensed some sort of snarky 'tude on your side. I mean you said "dead actors" like it was something to smile or be sarcastic about. I took it as a go to be sarcastic right back. Kinda immature but I really wasn't looking to treat your post as one with anything less. My apologies on my response, I shouldn't have put the spotlight on your post, but with the level of pessimism concerning someone that put so much into their career they died for it just got to me.

Anyway what I meant was that if times were different, if say, being homosexual was looked at by being similar to being dead, I hinted that your opinion wouldn't waver at the winner being gay as well. Sean Penn won for a homosexual role, Heth Ledger won for his role but unfortunately passed away-- they're both similar in the sense of being particularly different compared to their counter-parts. That said, the way you just singled out him being dead amongst the other actors just hit a nerve, making me wonder if you'd say the same to having the majority winners being gay or something of that context and thus reply in the same sense, as before, asking "why can't" the straight actors have "their own thread."

IDK TL;DR -- don't worry about it, just a snarky response to a snarky post. XD; Either way you're done posting so I hope you enjoyed this post dedicated to you, sir :indeed:

Oh and by the way, I didn't really agree with this thread's topic. Personally, I saw it as an ice-breaker and a way to respectfully open up the Oscar's thread-- that's why I brought up different parts of the show when the discussion of Heath Ledger had been met with a standstill. But w/e old news is old. XD

YAY FOR THE OSCARS.

btw, omg Brangelina and Jennifer Aniston in the same vicinity... D8

#34 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

Heath deserved it plain and simple, and it's a consolation to those (like me) who are pissed off that The Dark Knight was snubbed for the major awards. On another note pertaining to the Oscars....Mickey Rourke was robbed! arg.gif

uc.png

#35 Dormin

Dormin

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

I really don't understand what some people have against this post, if you want to congragulate other actors then open your own post instead of ranting about it here.

I am too disapointed that the Dark knight was Snubbed, but it seems that the hour of non super drama films hasent arrived.

Made by Vongola10th

"Someone shoot me..." - Kyon, cheerful as always

#36 dl316bh

dl316bh

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE (UzumakiEdward85 @ Feb 25 2009, 04:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On another note pertaining to the Oscars....Mickey Rourke was robbed! arg.gif

Quoted for truth.