• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:14 AM

Was there ever any doubt he would win? Im sure not alone in saying congratulations and god bless to his family who showed up and were there to celebrate his accomplishment.
\

#2 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:15 AM

Huzzah. Hope you see this up there, Heath.

RIP, Mr. Ledger. You shall be missed.

#3 Sakura~Kitsune

Sakura~Kitsune

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location:The Forgotten Borough formerly known as Staten Island!
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Roleplaying, Magical Girls, Anime/Manga, Video Games, Music, Friends/Family, and Food!

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:26 AM

Turned on the TV right when the nominations began! ...Well, when they started talking about his cynical role as The Joker (that movies still leaves me staring blankly at the screen; it braindrains me). I couldn't imagine anyone else winning the award, but now, I'm continously congratulating Heath Ledger for winning The Oscar (hope he was able to see this from up there) and his family for going up to accept it. Just the look on the faces in the audience, they all knew he deserved it.

RIP, Heath Ledger. Never will you be forgotten.
tumblr_n9ki6ltPXZ1qai1u2o1_500.gif

No matter how dark it is, you’re not alone you know?

The moonlight is shining on us

#4 Tahaji

Tahaji

MoneyPenny

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:35 AM

I knew the instant I saw The Dark Knight that Heath would dominate this in any and all awards. His acting in that movie was just beyond comprehendable.

RIP Heath Ledger

tahajiXcloud (MY AZN)

#5 Tsunade

Tsunade

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:People.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:00 AM

He won it because he died.

There were better actors in nominees. *le sigh* Oh well that's what I think.

Edited by Tsunade, 23 February 2009 - 04:05 AM.

Tsu.gif

#6 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:I like writing, reading, working out, and being online. :3

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:00 AM

Why wasn't there a thread made for all the winners, instead of just the dude that won because he's dead?

Nice.

#7 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:08 AM

Josh Brolin (Milk)

Robert Downey Jr. (Tropic Thunder)

Philip Seymour Hofmfan (DOUBT)

Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Micheal Shannon (Revolutionary Road)

-

Hmm best movie? The Dark Knight

Hmm best character? The Joker

tl ; dr hey guys we are non conformists, are we cool yet? :cookie:

#8 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:11 AM

And the Oscar goes toooo....

The dude who everyone feels sorry for! YAY!

*fake tear wiped away*

"I think he was soooo deserving."

sleep.gif

I don't think it's fair to all the actors that worked just as hard *coughMILKcough* to lose to some dude who overdosed.

#9 Tahaji

Tahaji

MoneyPenny

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:26 AM

Its sad that he Died and all, but comon...The acting in that movie was outstanding. I could barely tell it was him. Looking back at the previous movies he's done, we really see him developing as an actor and how talented he was.

Havent seen Milk, so I cant say to much about that, I do however think Philip Seymour Hofman gave a superb preformance in Doubt, just thought that The Dark Knight was done better.

tahajiXcloud (MY AZN)

#10 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (Dark @ Feb 23 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the Oscar goes toooo....

The dude who everyone feels sorry for! YAY!

*fake tear wiped away*

"I think he was soooo deserving."

sleep.gif

I don't think it's fair to all the actors that worked just as hard *coughMILKcough* to lose to some dude who overdosed.

True ignorance shown in this post. Heath Ledgers performance was being hyped up HEAPS even before he died, It was being hyped up by EVERYONE that I know that had seen the trailers, so it is pretty damn obvious that he played an outstanding role and yet here you are saying that he won it just because he died.

Just because you dont agree with the winner and that Heath has passed away doesnt give you the right to cheapen his achievements.

#11 Unknown Entity

Unknown Entity

Abandoned

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE (Dark @ Feb 22 2009, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why wasn't there a thread made for all the winners, instead of just the dude that won because he's dead?

Nice.

This.

I don't care about who won it or anything. I don't watch enough movies to even have a opinion on that matter.

The only thing I find funny is that there's a thread for the dead winner but not the winners who are alive. happy.gif
Pretty bored.

#12 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (Dark @ Feb 22 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the fact that he had an accidental overdose on drugs takes away from his performance in superbly acting a role in a movie that was hyped before his death as well as his character since people went nuts when the Joker who is easily one of the most popular villains was announced to be in the movie. I'm sure everyone is perfect and are pretty much angels amirite that they haven't had trouble in their lives?

Sympathy did not win him the Oscar. He did a great job in one of the best movies of 08'. If you said 'the hype of the Dark Knight as well as playing the Joker' may have done so in him winning the Oscar I'd have no problem. But to cheapen his accomplishment and mocking a man who died? Ignorance at its best.

#13 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Rick (Bonta-kun) @ Feb 22 2009, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True ignorance shown in this post. Heath Ledgers performance was being hyped up HEAPS even before he died, It was being hyped up by EVERYONE that I know that had seen the trailers, so it is pretty damn obvious that he played an outstanding role and yet here you are saying that he won it just because he died.

Just because you dont agree with the winner and that Heath has passed away doesnt give you the right to cheapen his achievements.

It's more ignorance to hype only one achievement in film instead of all of them. I've seen all the movies nominated tonight, and whether or not I agree with the win has nothing to do with this, I merely showing an example of all the 'hype' surrounding it.

YES, he's a good actor, but whether or not The Dark Knight was a good movie means nothing. It's the performance that counts. Just look at Tropic Thunder, it's not an 'Oscar-ish' movie, but the performance of Robert Downey Jr was great.

#14 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:52 AM

Wow, I was anticipating different viewpoints on Heath's win (if he did) but this.... wow.

QUOTE (Sakura~Kitsune @ Feb 22 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Turned on the TV right when the nominations began! ...Well, when they started talking about his cynical role as The Joker (that movies still leaves me staring blankly at the screen; it braindrains me). I couldn't imagine anyone else winning the award, but now, I'm continously congratulating Heath Ledger for winning The Oscar (hope he was able to see this from up there) and his family for going up to accept it. Just the look on the faces in the audience, they all knew he deserved it.

RIP, Heath Ledger. Never will you be forgotten.

Sakitsuuuune! This. (:

But for me, I'm not going to be congratulating him on his win... oh no. My whole heart and soul goes behind his performance-- on his performance that earned him that Oscar. And personally, I think that if he hadn't won I still would've considered him as an Oscar winning actor.

QUOTE (Dark @ Feb 22 2009, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice.

Make one then.

Nice.

QUOTE (Unknown Entity @ Feb 22 2009, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This.

I don't care about who won it or anything. I don't watch enough movies to even have a opinion on that matter.

The only thing I find funny is that there's a thread for the dead winner but not the winners who are alive. happy.gif

Wow.

This makes me wonder what you're saying now that Sean Penn won for a homosexual role.

Just saying.

QUOTE (True @ Feb 22 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah the fact that he had an accidental overdose on drugs takes away from his performance in superbly acting a role in a movie that was hyped before his death as well as his character since people went nuts when the Joker who is easily one of the most popular villains was announced to be in the movie. I'm sure everyone is perfect and are pretty much angels amirite that they haven't had trouble in their lives?

Sympathy did not win him the Oscar. He did a great job in one of the best movies of 08'. If you said 'the hype of the Dark Knight as well as playing the Joker' may have done so in him winning the Oscar I'd have no problem. But to cheapen his accomplishment and mocking a man who died? Ignorance at its best.

Pretty much have to agree.

I doubt that that standing ovation was for his death.

#15 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (Dark @ Feb 23 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's more ignorance to hype only one achievement in film instead of all of them. I've seen all the movies nominated tonight, and whether or not I agree with the win has nothing to do with this, I merely showing an example of all the 'hype' surrounding it.

YES, he's a good actor, but whether or not The Dark Knight was a good movie means nothing. It's the performance that counts. Just look at Tropic Thunder, it's not an 'Oscar-ish' movie, but the performance of Robert Downey Jr was great.

Dont get me wrong, I agree that all the actors did fantastic jobs, but someone has to win the award, and Heath won it in this case, because he did the best job. At least, thats what most people think. And its fine if you dont think that, everyone has there own opinions, but you basically said that he won it because he died, which isnt True because as i stated before, his performance as the joker was making people go crazy even before his death when the trailers were first shown.

#16 Denim88

Denim88

I have my moments, believe it or not.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Hm, interests...well, I was one of those crazy nuts that knew all the pokemon back when that was the big thing...still do know them all (cough). I happen to be a very strong supporter of NarutoxSakura pairing. I really enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I'm a gamer I guess...yeah, okay, I am. Let's see, what else could I put down...um, I love reading, writing, and biking too. Comedy movies are the best...um yeah. Kind of a weak interests section, but whatever.<br /><br />Ah, yes, I guess I should mention that my stories are also able to be viewed on fanfiction.net. You can find me under the name Denim88 on there too.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:00 AM

Heath was played the role of the Joker as though he did it all the time. The actors make a movie great, and he did just that. Maybe Heath is getting a lot of attention, but he was a good actor. Showing honor to someone who gave dedication to his role is only being respectful.

Now, let's PLEASE not go and start any further conflict over this issue, alright?

Gimme a break, 'kay?

Denim88's fanfiction page!!!

#17 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE (Rick (Bonta-kun) @ Feb 22 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont get me wrong, I agree that all the actors did fantastic jobs, but someone has to win the award, and Heath won it in this case, because he did the best job. At least, thats what most people think. And its fine if you dont think that, everyone has there own opinions, but you basically said that he won it because he died, which isnt true because as i stated before, his performance as the joker was making people go crazy even before his death when the trailers were first shown.

I understand what you mean, and I agree. I just don't agree with putting all the other winners in the background. I'm not going to make a thread because I always watch the Oscars and I'm a very big fan of them, but I still think you should give credit where credit is due. Congratulations to Heath, where he may lie, but I think we should think about all the other actors who slaved just as hard as he did.

Denim:

Exactly my point. Showing honor to someone who gave dedication to his role is only being respectful.

Edited by Dark, 23 February 2009 - 05:02 AM.

#18 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:03 AM

Why do you guys humor these people anymore? Everytime someone dies during the filming of a good movie, there are going to be these people crawling out of the woodwork. It's why I hate it when actors die. Not because I liked them, but because I know I'm going to have to listen to whining when they posthumously win justified awards. It got old a long time ago. I'm sick of people trying to tell me the only reason anyone gives a damn about The Crow is because Brandon Lee died in an accident during filming. I promptly give them the middle finger. Same goes for Heath Ledger and the Dark Knight, only I'd give them a bigger middle finger if I possibly could.

People on the internet b**** because they can. It's why the internet isn't much fun and hasn't been for a long time.

That said, I don't see this as a really big deal. The Oscars aren't exactly all that prestigious these days. They're horribly selective and will completely exclude movies whether they are deserving or not if they deem them too mainstream. No thanks. You either celebrate all of the best of the best or you can't claim yourself as an awards show that rewards genius.

Christ, they used to make fun of it back in the Looney Tunes days.

Edited by dl316bh, 23 February 2009 - 05:09 AM.

bd5.jpg

#19 Juujuu

Juujuu

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:God, art, literature, music, anime, romance, internet, friends

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:05 AM

YAY HEATH LEDGER!

I'm happy he won. He was fantastic as the joker and provided us with a performance unlike any we've seen for a long time. I think that even if he were still alive he would still deserve it. He played the role convincingly and portrayed a level pf character acting on par with Johnny Depp and possibly even the great late Lon Channey of silent film fame. Cheers to you Heath! Job well done!

And on a side note... OMG I'M BEING ACTIVE AGAIN! O_____________O
"Balthier is Sexy" Fangirl Army - SECOND IN COMMAND JUUJUU!

#20 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Feb 22 2009, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That said, I don't see this as a really big deal. The Oscars aren't exactly all that prestigious these days. They're horribly selective and will completely exclude movies whether they are deserving or not if they deem them too mainstream. No thanks. You either celebrate all of the best of the best or you can't claim yourself as an awards show that rewards genius.

Christ, they used to make fun of it back in the Looney Tunes days.

Tbh you've got a huge point there XD I really was kinda peeved that I hadn't seen the foreign films that were nominated. I'm really digging the german and japanese originated ones. *g*

Prestigious.... well I think it's the best of the best on there, so that's why it's so serious business. Anyway I really enjoyed Hugh Jackman as host XD He was so energetic! Something the Globes really really needed >w>

QUOTE (Juujuu @ Feb 22 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YAY HEATH LEDGER!

I'm happy he won. He was fantastic as the joker and provided us with a performance unlike any we've seen for a long time. I think that even if he were still alive he would still deserve it. He played the role convincingly and portrayed a level pf character acting on par with Johnny Depp and possibly even the great late Lon Channey of silent film fame. Cheers to you Heath! Job well done!

And on a side note... OMG I'M BEING ACTIVE AGAIN! O_____________O

Agreed! His performance holds up with those of JD (no bias XD) and the other prestigious actors out there. I think the reason his role broke everyone's brains is because it centered around him being psychotic-- it's the unknown that seems to appeal so much. Cheers :indeed:

OMG U R? WAI SO ...uh GONE?! 8D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users