Kobe Bryant Died in a helicopter crash in California

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:11 PM

I didn't believe it was true, but it is:

https://www.reuters....t-idUSKBN1ZP0QW

RIP

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#2 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:39 PM

:(

ナルサク

#3 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

Worst part is that one of his daughters was with him.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#4 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:25 PM

Worst part is that one of his daughters was with him.

Yes and it was confirmed. His second daughter, Gianna, was with him. My condolences to the Bryant family.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#5 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:27 PM

Even though I was an MJ and a Lebron fan, I still had an amount of respect for his work ethic.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#6 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:44 PM

It's just heartbreaking.

#7 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:13 AM

It's just heartbreaking.

It really is. :hug: What sucks worse... he wasn't that much older than me, since I'm gonna be 37 this year, and he was 41.

#8 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:17 AM

I’m deeply shocked, this happened so suddenly out of no where. I cannot imagine what the victims families are and will be going through. Truly heartbreaking.

#9 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

First Neil Peart and now Kobe Bryant this is how 2020 starts? 

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#10 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:33 PM

Turns out one of his daughters were on the plane as well. :( https://people.com/s...3qUEfclsAmYPzOI

ps We don't need to say every dead man was a good person, and that you can let a family grieve while not excusing the sins of the deceased. He deserved prison, not to die in a crash. He was probably a great dad, he was probably a rapist and I believe people should be allowed to miss him as long as they don't put him on a pedestal.

Edited by sushi., 27 January 2020 - 07:39 PM.

ナルサク

#11 DrK

DrK

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:53 PM

Turns out one of his daughters were on the plane as well. :( https://people.com/s...3qUEfclsAmYPzOI

ps We don't need to say every dead man was a good person, and that you can let a family grieve while not excusing the sins of the deceased. He deserved prison, not to die in a crash. He was probably a great dad, he was probably a rapist and I believe people should be allowed to miss him as long as they don't put him on a pedestal.

I wonder what a celebrity would have to do to be accused of rape and not be called a "probable rapist"? Because if people look at the facts of that case and their takeaway is still "Welp, more likely than not he was a rapist!", then I don't think anyone can recover from something like that.

And personally since he is now dead as a result of taking his daughter to (her) basketball game, I feel it's more than "probably" that he was a great dad. But you're entitled to your opinion on that as well.

#12 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:08 PM

I wonder what a celebrity would have to do to be accused of rape and not be called a "probable rapist"? Because if people look at the facts of that case and their takeaway is still "Welp, more likely than not he was a rapist!", then I don't think anyone can recover from something like that.

And personally since he is now dead as a result of taking his daughter to (her) basketball game, I feel it's more than "probably" that he was a great dad. But you're entitled to your opinion on that as well.

I looked up the case.   I drew my own conclusion. The police didn't drop the case, the accuser did after harassment, because the accused leaked her name.

Anyhow I can only say "probably" as I didn't know him personally. Fans don't actually know the celebrities they like, and taking your kids to a football game doesn't make you a great parent. I assumed he was because in the photos they seemed close. Well people are complicated and you can be cruel to one person and good to another.

ナルサク

#13 DrK

DrK

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

I looked up the case.   I drew my own conclusion. The police didn't drop the case, the accuser did after harassment, because the accused leaked her name.

Anyhow I can only say "probably" as I didn't know him personally. Fans don't actually know the celebrities they like, and taking your kids to a football game doesn't make you a great parent. I assumed he was because in the photos they seemed close. Well people are complicated and you can be cruel to one person and good to another.

... To say essentially "People are allowed to miss him, but they need to remember that he was a rapist!" is an absolutely repulsive sentiment to express given the circumstances. People are not OVERLOOKING it, they just view it differently than you do. I'm from the Bay Area (GSW) so I've talked to many, many basketball fans (yes, basketball, not football), and this is honestly the first time I've heard that brought up in years. And trust me that it's not because everybody loves Kobe here (SF Bay Area, not LA). Many dislike him because they find him to be a threat to some other player who they feel is of greater stature. Hell I was probably one of them at some point.

So if you said "People are allowed to miss him, but I don't like how he was an adulterer!" that would be one thing (as that is confirmed rather than being unknown and impossible TO KNOW)... But that isn't what you said. Though I'd find that in fairly poor taste as well, I have to be honest. Because whatever his weaknesses were, his death is not the time to discuss them. And trust me that he possessed many traits that even you would find admirable if you bothered to look beyond something that happened almost 15 years ago.

Edited by DrK, 27 January 2020 - 09:31 PM.

#14 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

... To say essentially "People are allowed to miss him, but they need to remember that he was a rapist!" is an absolutely repulsive sentiment to express given the circumstances. People are not OVERLOOKING it, they just view it differently than you do. I'm from the Bay Area (GSW) so I've talked to many, many basketball fans (yes, basketball, not football), and this is honestly the first time I've heard that brought up in years. And trust me that it's not because everybody loves Kobe here (SF Bay Area, not LA). Many disliked him because they find him to be a threat to some other player who they feel is of greater stature. Hell I was probably one of them at some point.

So if you said "People are allowed to miss him, but I don't like how he was an adulterer!" that would be one thing, but that isn't what you said. Though I'd find that in fairly poor taste as well, I have to be honest. Because whatever his weaknesses were, his death is not the time to discuss them. And trust me that he possessed many traits that even you would find admirable if you bothered to look beyond something that happened almost 15 years ago.

When someone dies, should you look at the best or worst behaviour only, or both? This is what the news that I follow are discussing now and I think it's an important discussion. I thought "let people grieve or be mad and don't judge anyone else" was a non confrontational opinion.

Please don't tell me I don't look beyond this accusation. I do, but if you assault someone it's a dealbreaker for me. It's where I draw the line, but I already acknowledged he was a good dad and I know he did some charity work. Right now his victim and many other survivors are affected by his death too, because they have to read how great he was and I'm sure it's a painful reminder. Don't stop feeling bad for his death but see the other side here extend your empathy to them.

Honestly the fact that you think the case is not important because it happened long ago leaves me an icky feeling, it was not a robbery but an attack that created lifelong trauma for a person. I would agree we should forget had it not been so serious. 

ナルサク

#15 DrK

DrK

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:36 PM

When someone dies, should you look at the best or worst behaviour only, or both? This is what the news that I follow are discussing now and I think it's an important discussion. I thought "let people grieve or be mad and don't judge anyone else" was a non confrontational opinion.

Please don't tell me I don't look beyond this accusation. I do, but if you assault someone it's a dealbreaker for me. It's where I draw the line, but I already acknowledged he was a good dad and I know he did some charity work. Right now his victim and many other survivors are affected by his death too, because they have to read how great he was and I'm sure it's a painful reminder. Don't stop feeling bad for his death but see the other side here extend your empathy to them.

Honestly the fact that you think the case is not important because it happened long ago leaves me an icky feeling, it was not a robbery but an attack that created lifelong trauma for a person. I would agree we should forget had it not been so serious. 

I thought this was obvious but I guess it isn't, so read the following very carefully: I don't believe he committed a crime. I believe his version of events. And I DO NOT think I'm in the minority.

I am NOT certain that he didn't do something WRONG (something other than rape/a crime) but I do NOT believe he would have been found guilty of rape. And I feel horrendous that I'm even stooping to address this.

Edited by DrK, 27 January 2020 - 09:42 PM.

#16 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:59 PM

I thought this was obvious but I guess it isn't, so read the following very carefully: I don't believe he committed a crime. I believe his version of events. And I DO NOT think I'm in the minority.

I am NOT certain that he didn't do something WRONG (something other than rape/a crime) but I do NOT believe he would have been found guilty of rape. And I feel horrendous that I'm even stooping to address this.

I guess I took you too literally when you said I shouldn't be upset about something that happened 15 years ago. I assumed then that you also believed it happened, but you don't, so ok I accept that.

ナルサク

#17 DrK

DrK

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

I guess I took you too literally when you said I shouldn't be upset about something that happened 15 years ago. I assumed then that you also believed it happened, but you don't, so ok I accept that.

I do not think that woman's life was enriched by having him in it but I REFUSE to equate that to a crime automatically in this or any other circumstance because of how dangerous that is. With the justice system we have (and I do see and understand that you're in Europe) we simply CANNOT assume something happened based on an accusation even with accusations that have fewer questions swirling around it than that one did.

I don't know how much media you have read/watched surrounding this news but you'll just have to trust me that people spoke of him in an exemplary manner prior to this, it's not a case of him being whitewashed after his death. The general view is that the case was discredited. And there are plenty of other celebrities here (like OJ) who are absolutely reviled for that sort of violent crime with or without a conviction. As I said you're entitled to your opinion but there are many who aren't going to understand why you have it.

Edited by DrK, 27 January 2020 - 10:21 PM.

#18 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

The One True Demi-Goddess of Misfortune

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, things, people.

https://twitter.com/Huldra_Nix

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:15 PM

Life really is fragile...

This is why I'm terrified of flying and I dont want to hear anyone's statistics on how flying is mostly safe.

That being said on the topic of him being a good/bad person...the fact of the mater is we live in a world where people DO lie and anyone can say anything.

I don't know jackkitten about Kobe as a person and I venture to guess no one here knew him personally but as a woman the whole "believe all women" thing deeply bothers me. Women can lie. Women DO lie. What I have to believe are not accusations but facts.

I think Casey Anthony killed her kid, she went to court and was proven "not guilty" in the eyes of the law. her case was tried before an actual court,Kobe's was not. We don't get to hear defense and prosecution make their case or provide evidence.

So everything about it is essentially he said, she said and will remain that way.

Edited by Tsuki Hoshino, 28 January 2020 - 03:27 AM.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611991db478fd57f4321b
                                         Pls shame me for procrastinating.  :argh: 

#19 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:08 AM

Life really is fragile...

This is why I'm terrified of flying and I dont want to hear anyone's statistics on how flying is mostly safe.

That being said on the topic of him being a good/bad person...the fact of the later is we live in a world where people DO lie and anyone can say anything.

I don't know jackkitten about Kobe as a person and I venture to guess no one here knew him personally but as a woman the whole "believe all women" thing deeply bothers me. Women can lie. Women DO lie. What I have to believe are not accusations but facts.

I think Casey Anthony killed her kid, she went to court and was proven "not guilty" in the eyes of the law. her case was tried before an actual court,Kobe's was not. We don't get to hear defense and prosecution make their case or provide evidence.

So everything about it is essentially he said, she said and will remain that way.

People are not proven “not guilty.” Not guilt simply means the State failed to prove its case to the jury beyond a reasonable doubt. Nothing more. 

I share your fear and for the same reason. Knowing that stats doesn’t really help. I still don’t like flying. 

#20 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

The One True Demi-Goddess of Misfortune

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, things, people.

https://twitter.com/Huldra_Nix

Posted 28 January 2020 - 03:41 AM

Now that i think about it Anthony was found "guilty" just not of murder. She was convicted for lying to the police on multiple counts if I recall correctly. :zaru: that case was a clusterkitten...and that's something that went to an actual court with hard evidence and years of investigation behind it.

I used to live in a house where planes were constantly flying over (lowly) and it would shake the entire structure. Its not just the thought of being on a plane that scares me it's even the thought of then flying over head.

I just have this innate fear that one is going to crash right on top of me.

Edited by Tsuki Hoshino, 28 January 2020 - 03:41 AM.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611991db478fd57f4321b
                                         Pls shame me for procrastinating.  :argh: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users