Close
Photo

Rants on Hinata

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#21 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

I myself don't like how bashful Hinata is at times, and how she doesn't try to become confident for herself rather than having Naruto trying to give her confidence. She could have become so much stronger if she was able to do that, instead of being set up as pairing fodder. :( Especially since she had the potential to be great, like the other kunoichi of the Rookie Nine tend to be. Sure, we don't see much from Ino and Tenten, but they got impressive skills, while Hinata has been holding herself back sadly.

#22 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts
  • Interests:Guilty Gear, Basketball, Futbol, and writing.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

I didn't hate her, but my older brother kept bothering me about her and now I don't like her. Too much idolizing.

#23 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:56 PM

I don't hate her. I just think she's bori....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pretty much this, her charactor is boring, I've tried so hard to try to imagine a scene with the Naruto and Hinata talking and I just can't do it.

I don't have an issue with her per se, her charactor is just 2D. He charactor profile literally just reads, Likes Naruto, get beaten up to make NAruto Angry, Stalk Naruto. there is no depth in her charactor, even in fanfics I read she's a complete OC, many times her charactor ends up a Yandere or someone who behaves like Sakura.

It's hard to form a honest option of someone who is that shallow. She's had a tough childhood but that changed years before, her father shows her he cares more, she has a sister who cares, Neji was devoted to her, Kurenian thought of her like a daughter, her teammates really care for her, yet all that doesn't seem to be enough for her to grow as a charactor, get stronger, be more confident...yet she's  still the same awkward kid she was when she was introduced at the start.

Look at Orihime from Bleach, she started as being shy and awkward around Ichigo but now she's openly trying to get his attention, even asking his opinio when she wore more revealing clothers the last time we saw her. That is charactor progression. Ginny from Harry Potter, another girl who was shy around Harry at the beginning, but she outgrew that, acted more like herself, and was confident enough to kiss the guy infront of the entire Griffindor house. Hinata is still stuck in the same place, and there has been nothing shown in the Manga that suggests apart from being shy, nice girl who likes Naruto there is much else to her.

Edited by harry4e, 21 November 2014 - 06:05 PM.

iAnby7W.gif

#24 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:17 PM

Pretty much this, her charactor is boring, I've tried so hard to try to imagine a scene with the Naruto and Hinata talking and I just can't do it.

I don't have an issue with her per se, her charactor is just 2D. He charactor profile literally just reads, Likes Naruto, get beaten up to make NAruto Angry, Stalk Naruto. there is no depth in her charactor, even in fanfics I read she's a complete OC, many times her charactor ends up a Yandere or someone who behaves like Sakura.

It's hard to form a honest option of someone who is that shallow. She's had a tough childhood but that changed years before, her father shows her he cares more, she has a sister who cares, Neji was devoted to her, Kurenian thought of her like a daughter, her teammates really care for her, yet all that doesn't seem to be enough for her to grow as a charactor, get stronger, be more confident...yet she's  still the same awkward kid she was when she was introduced at the start.

Look at Orihime from Bleach, she started as being shy and awkward around Ichigo but now she's openly trying to get his attention, even asking his opinio when she wore more revealing clothers the last time we saw her. That is charactor progression. Ginny from Harry Potter, another girl who was shy around Harry at the beginning, but she outgrew that, acted more like herself, and was confident enough to kiss the guy infront of the entire Griffindor house. Hinata is still stuck in the same place, and there has been nothing shown in the Manga that suggests apart from being shy, nice girl who likes Naruto there is much else to her.

Good examples with Ginny and Orihime

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#25 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

I just dislike the staple 'perfect' moe-blob character. She doesn't do much of anything, so she doesn't have a lot of plot related things to complain about. She's not significant enough for that. Hinata's just a background character that people embraced over Sakura, because Sakura is a girl who makes tons of mistakes in comparison. Hinata was given only one thing to do: Naruto-kuuuun! Everything else about her...is fan-made! She exists mostly as a fan-imagined entity, since there isn't enough canon material to flesh her out.

#26 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:01 PM

I just dislike the staple 'perfect' moe-blob character. She doesn't do much of anything, so she doesn't have a lot of plot related things to complain about. She's not significant enough for that. Hinata's just a background character that people embraced over Sakura, because Sakura is a girl who makes tons of mistakes in comparison. Hinata was given only one thing to do: Naruto-kuuuun! Everything else about her...is fan-made! She exists mostly as a fan-imagined entity, since there isn't enough canon material to flesh her out.

I didn't think about that aspect, but you're exactly right: Hinata is a character who never had enough of a storyline to make mistakes. She is just an ideal. With boobs. Sakura is the real flesh-and-blood girl who makes mistakes and learns from them.

#27 Paperman

Paperman

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:The four main shounen manga. Animation in general.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Sakura is the real flesh-and-blood girl who makes mistakes and learns from them.

And the reason why she is quite literally one of the most disliked characters in Naruto. What did she do to warrant that hate? Is it really only the confession?

#28 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:21 PM

I didn't think about that aspect, but you're exactly right: Hinata is a character who never had enough of a storyline to make mistakes. She is just an ideal. With boobs. Sakura is the real flesh-and-blood girl who makes mistakes and learns from them.

Which begged the question, what was it did she do to correct it with Sasuke? Nothing! It killed her gimmick and credibility! That's why people are upset! It killed the idea! I can't find moral out of this because there is none! I guess get a first start because once you claim it, you win! YOU ALWAYS WIN! It's like Chrsitmas moral...from a bad movie!!!

Dumb!

#29 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

I agree especially on the ginny part.  :thumbsup:

#30 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:35 PM

And the reason why she is quite literally one of the most disliked characters in Naruto. What did she do to warrant that hate? Is it really only the confession?

You know, I really don't know.

It could easily be that it's because Sakura is always compared against the infallible, curvy Hinata, who's so sweet and meek that she can't even draw criticism? 

Coupled with the ham-handed treatment of Sakura — having her cry after Sasuke, then hug Naruto after Hinata's moment, then confess to Naruto in such a clumsy way.

The age demographic may play something into it as well, in the acceptance of a passive character over an active character.

But yeah, I tend to think it's unfair comparisons with Hinata that are continually reinforced in the manga that does it. It would be like putting up a centerfold of a heavily-photoshopped model next to a snapshot of a real girl. Hinata is a contrived character with no visible flaws. Sakura is an evolving character, with plenty of flaws. Hinata is non-threatening with her one goal. Sakura can put people off with her relentlessness, her determination and her capacity to change, both herself and the world around her.

I could keep going, but I'm sure there's been plenty of research done into why people prefer the non-threatening pretty girl over the tougher partner-type girl. I'd be willing to bet the same applies here. Ultimately, I'm sure Kishimoto certainly didn't do Sakura any favors by stringing Hinata along as her constant comparsion. If he had let Hinata fall back to her rightful slot as a pretty plot device, then Sakura might have had her moment to shine.

#31 Paperman

Paperman

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:The four main shounen manga. Animation in general.

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:22 PM

That's the issue though. It seems in recent years, these passive no-personality characters are making some sort of comeback. Do you guys really think it's basically the illusion of this perfect Mary-Sueish character many people like? Or rather, prefer?

I ask because these sorts of characters are always, always featured in anime or manga. And whenever a 'tsundere' shows up, she is instantly criticized, even though she does much more than the moe type. It's like they don't understand it.

Also, while Orihime is a bit of an airhead, she is way ahead of Hinata. Initially I thought both were of the same mould but Orihime had her shining moments later on. Like when she slapped Ulquiorra. (Sorry).

#32 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

Yeah...it's odd to me how much the 'perfect' characters are loved. I'm not exactly sure why, since I appreciate the character trying to change rather than just someone static. When you're not doing anything in the story, it's easy to look good. I mean, were most HInata fans expecting her to change (along with getting Naruto's affections)? Or were they content with her simply remaining as-is? @_@ It's very confusing to me because I can't understand the draw of someone going no where.

Sakura hate pretty much started in part 1, I think. She was pretty bratty at her introduction, made a lot of mistakes, and had a lot of ground to make up. The charming points to her character could have easily been over-looked. (Like how she would secretly look out for Naruto, even while claiming to dislike him) You're given basically two girls that have something to do with the main guy. Sakura who starts out acting like an annoying bratty fangirl rather than a ninja, or Hinata who simply is quietly watching Naruto. The choice is, give the bratty girl the benefit of the doubt, or pick someone else as your favorite girl.

Goes along with the idea that...you can do no wrong as long as you aren't doing much of anything. XD Sad truth that people prefer this over development.

#33 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

Yeah...it's odd to me how much the 'perfect' characters are loved. I'm not exactly sure why, since I appreciate the character trying to change rather than just someone static. When you're not doing anything in the story, it's easy to look good. I mean, were most HInata fans expecting her to change (along with getting Naruto's affections)? Or were they content with her simply remaining as-is? @_@ It's very confusing to me because I can't understand the draw of someone going no where.

Sakura hate pretty much started in part 1, I think. She was pretty bratty at her introduction, made a lot of mistakes, and had a lot of ground to make up. The charming points to her character could have easily been over-looked. (Like how she would secretly look out for Naruto, even while claiming to dislike him) You're given basically two girls that have something to do with the main guy. Sakura who starts out acting like an annoying bratty fangirl rather than a ninja, or Hinata who simply is quietly watching Naruto. The choice is, give the bratty girl the benefit of the doubt, or pick someone else as your favorite girl.

Goes along with the idea that...you can do no wrong as long as you aren't doing much of anything. XD Sad truth that people prefer this over development.

Early part 2 sakura was so cool.
If only she was given more development and another cool fight besides sasori (im not counting the juubi thing, everyone fought against it)

#34 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:45 PM

I wonder what is the difference between criticism and bashing....hmmm....

All I can say is, Hinata is selfish. You can do selfless acts, but that doesn't mean you aren't selfish and Hinata is probably thee most selfish person in the whole series. The man she loves so much she refuses to see what makes him happy. Instead she only focuses on her own happiness. That's it.

It's all about her...and that is how she is portrayed. Even the studio knows it is all about her.

I love the characters that seem selfish on the outside, but deep down they are selfless. They want the best for those they care about even if it means giving up their own dreams for it. To me, those characters truly deserve real happiness. Hinata however is not these kinds of people. Instead she is the opposite. Selfless on the outside, selfish on the inside.

Naruto...I'm sorry to say doesn't really love her...he just pities her which he doesn't really respect her. Just like everyone else. They say that you have to accept things even if they don;'t work out the way they should, but here Hinata couldn't even accept not being with Naruto and so everyone pitied her. They know she is pathetic.

That is the biggest insult I have ever seen for a character.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 21 November 2014 - 10:49 PM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#35 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

If he had let Hinata fall back to her rightful slot as a pretty plot device, then Sakura might have had her moment to shine.

I can't agree with this. The problem with Hinata is exactly her lack of development. It would be better if somehow she had the focus of some arc or some fight, and learned from it. It could be on the war, Hiashi could've died and Hinata could have prove her worth leading the hyuuga clan during the battle.

This development could ultimately end with her maturing from her love of Naruto. Or something like that

Edited by Nar123, 21 November 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#36 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

Harry, you are the man, since it's very true. Plus with Orihime, she's been motivated to want to become stronger so she can help Ichigo out. :)

It's why I feel bad in a lot of ways with Hinata; she lacks some good development, like you said about Hiashi possibly dying during the war, or even growing stronger after facing Neji in the Chunin Exams. In my Naruto fanfic, I am exploring those possibilities of Hinata becoming more confident so she doesn't need to "cling" to her love for Naruto, and begin to believe in the real him, not this preconception she has about him, since the manga showed plenty of times she doesn't REALLY believe in Naruto himself, like wanting him to withdraw from his fight with Neji after he was nailed by the 8 Trigrams 64 Palms, or her worrying about him when Obito kicked him when he tried to stop Teams Kakashi and Kurenai from getting to where Sasuke and Itachi were while Sakura told her to keep her eyes on Obito, etc.

I want Hianta to be this kind of confident girl who can outgrow her romantic feelings and see Naruto as an equal as well as to be a better person, but sadly, that never came to pass. =(

#37 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:58 PM

You know...I have to wonder if it would have been better to not have Hinata in the series at all and see how that would change it all. You have a flat character in a world of complex characters. It's almost like she doesn't belong in the world at all...

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#38 Suigetsu

Suigetsu

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hinata became boring, her sole porpuse was to say Naruto Kun and to be used as pairing fodder. I never understood what was the obsession with her being with Naruto. I mean, unless you adore hinata the interactions would be boring as a snail race.

With her naruto cant be himself, he has to tone down to accomodate to Hinata's pace.

I dont like Hinata because it's all the time shoved in my face, everyone it's always all the time; hinata, hinata hinata. Because hinata this and hinata that...
Most overrated character of the series.

That's why I dont like her and now I like her even less.

#39 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:19 PM

Also, while Orihime is a bit of an airhead, she is way ahead of Hinata. Initially I thought both were of the same mould but Orihime had her shining moments later on. Like when she slapped Ulquiorra. (Sorry).

i've always thought Sakura was more on par with Orihime, especially in that they are both characters who make a ton of mistakes. Yeah, their personalities are different, but as far as room for growth, they are the types that have a lot of potential. I know Rukia has way more fans than Orihime, like Hinata seems to have way more fans than Sakura. Rukia is actually more static of a character than Orihime - she's a veteran fighter, after all. Do people prefer female characters who largely remain the same throughout the story? Sometimes it seems that way @_@

#40 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:24 PM

i've always thought Sakura was more on par with Orihime, especially in that they are both characters who make a ton of mistakes. Yeah, their personalities are different, but as far as room for growth, they are the types that have a lot of potential. I know Rukia has way more fans than Orihime, like Hinata seems to have way more fans than Sakura. Rukia is actually more static of a character than Orihime - she's a veteran fighter, after all. Do people prefer female characters who largely remain the same throughout the story? Sometimes it seems that way @_@

I dunno, Miss Soupy, but I can see whatcha mean when comparing Sakura and Orihime, as well as the fact the two of them are always trying their hardest to get stronger for those they love. Even Orihime admitted that she knows she isn't a good fighter, but she would hate to be a burden to Ichigo and the others, like Sakura was afraid of being one, and how seeing Naruto fight so hard for her and her drive to want to help him keep his promise to her, that led her to become Tsunade's apprentice. I'm not sure myself, but I like depth from all characters in any kind of fiction I read. No matter their gender or role.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users