jworks

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Mar 21 2013, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I highly recommend Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. biggrin.gif

This book was a lot of fun to read, and I enjoyed the characters and world of OASIS. Readers will definitely find plenty to relate to, and anyone who had an 80s childhood will enjoy it even more!

I was just about to recommend this! smile.gif it was a lot of fun, great book. I think WB already owns the rights for a movie, we'll see if they actually make one.

Second recommendation: WOOL by Hugh Howey...Awesome. It started as an independent project and turned into a highly rated book. It has the highest rating for a book I've ever seen on amazon and for good reason. It takes place in a giant underground "silo" where humans now live since the outside is a toxic wasteland. The premis itself is cool but it manages to not get distracted by it; instead it focuses on the characters and their struggles.

#42 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (jworks @ Mar 22 2013, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just about to recommend this! smile.gif it was a lot of fun, great book. I think WB already owns the rights for a movie, we'll see if they actually make one.

Second recommendation: WOOL by Hugh Howey...Awesome. It started as an independent project and turned into a highly rated book. It has the highest rating for a book I've ever seen on amazon and for good reason. It takes place in a giant underground "silo" where humans now live since the outside is a toxic wasteland. The premis itself is cool but it manages to not get distracted by it; instead it focuses on the characters and their struggles.

If they do make a movie, it would be awesome. biggrin.gif I'm a bit sceptical because there are so many franchises in the book itself; Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Blade Runner, Ultraman and all those video games, shows, music and icons associated with the 80s. Of course, some of those are simply mentioned and they could just leave out some scenes to lower the licensing bill. wink.gif

Quite honestly, I'm glad the OASIS doesn't exist (yet). I would most likely get addicted to it. sweatdrop.gif

Funny you should mention WOOL, I have it on my birthday wishlist. XD My birthday is next week, so we'll see if I get it or not...

#43 jworks

jworks

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Mar 22 2013, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they do make a movie, it would be awesome. biggrin.gif I'm a bit sceptical because there are so many franchises in the book itself; Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Blade Runner, Ultraman and all those video games, shows, music and icons associated with the 80s. Of course, some of those are simply mentioned and they could just leave out some scenes to lower the licensing bill. wink.gif

Quite honestly, I'm glad the OASIS doesn't exist (yet). I would most likely get addicted to it. sweatdrop.gif

Funny you should mention WOOL, I have it on my birthday wishlist. XD My birthday is next week, so we'll see if I get it or not...

yeah I think it would make a good one, although I was thinking all the reference to other franchises could be a problem too. And they couldn't drop to many things because the whole plot is so heavily based on 80s pop culture. I wonder....

Oh hopefully you do get WOOL for your birthday smile.gif I don't have a kindle but I got the kindle version and read it on my computer because it was so cheap. Happy next-week birthday by the way biggrin.gif

Another recommendation: Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King. This book is for those who enjoy art history and history in general. It is non-fiction and can get dry but is very interesting. It is about Michelangelo during the time he was commissioned to paint the Sistine Chapel in Rome. I enjoyed it because it went into depth on the political and social climate of the times to give it context and analyzed how Michelangelo and the other figures felt and acted.

#44 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

I have a couple of recommendations, two post-apocalyptic novels by Diana Peterfreund:

For Darkness Shows the Stars - In a dystopian future, a genetic experiment has devastated humanity, and in the aftermath a new class system placed the anti-technology Luddites in absolute power over vast estates and the genetically damaged Reduced population. Elliot North is a dutiful Luddite who runs her father's estate, and when the boy she loved, a servant named Kai, asked her to run away with him four years ago, she refused. Now, Kai is back, and Elliot longs for a second chance with her first love, even though she knows it could mean betraying everything she's been raised to believe is right.

Across the Star-Swept Sea - Expands on the universe from the first. Centuries after war nearly destroyed civilization, the two islands of New Pacifica stand alone, a paradise where even the Reduction - the devastating brain disorder that sparked the wars - is a distant memory. Yet, on the isle of Galatea, uprising against the ruling aristocrats has turned deadly, and the revolutionaries' weapon is a drug that damages their enemies' brains, and the only hope is rescue by the mysterious spy known as the Wild Poppy. On the neighboring island of Albion, no one suspects that the Wild Poppy is famously frivolous aristocrat, Persis Blake, who uses her shallow, socialite trappings to hide her true purpose.

Both recommendation have strong, vibrant heroine leads, well-written romances and beautiful narrative, and raise intriguing questions about humanity and the price of progress.

#45 Isian

Isian

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:27 AM

If you want a short book, 'looking for alaska' is a good one. I dont read books but I have read this one and enjoyed it.

#46 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

lol my own thread but I'd like to recommend to everybody else the most recent few books I've read:

Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis, 

I'd say a must read for any RHCP fans and anybody else, especially if you've ever struggled with an addiction. A great narrative of Kiedis' personal journey through life focusing a lot on his insane adolescent years and his struggle with sobriety. I've got to say one of the best books I've ever had the pleasure of reading. 

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk

Pretty great book written in the style of an oral history with multiple narrators giving short statements in every chapter. It is a Chuck Palahniuk book though so expect some pretty graphic writing and a lot of dark themes.

Intoxication: The Universal Drive for Mind-Altering Substances by Ronald K. Seigel Ph.D

This is a very important book that offers a broad insight into the use of intoxicants in the animal world and in particular, the human part of it. It covers the chemistry and effects of the psychoactive agents available, and the ways societies use them. It also carefully covers the more basic questions pertaining to why they are used. Dr. Siegel is an old student of psychopharmacology and the human condition, and the experiments he has devised are both elegant and clever. The scholarship is superb. I can highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the pharmacology and effects of intoxicant usage, and its history and causes. It is especially pertinent to the present "War on Drugs". ~too lazy to write a review ripped from amazon

also thanks all for your recommendations!

Edited by Muffins?, 26 January 2014 - 01:29 PM.

JLHza2T.png

#47 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

Just recently read the book Horns by Joe Hill on a recommendation and thought it was fantastic. If you're looking for a good read this summer check it out!

JLHza2T.png

#48 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

Nice to see this thread back up and running. I'l recommend another book- The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero. You might recognize the author as the actor for Mark in Tommy Wiseau's timeless classic, The Room. This book is a memoir of his experience working with Tommy and the movie. It's truly amazing how much insight it gives to a man otherwise shrouded in mystery.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#49 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:18 AM

This just fiction? I always recommend The Guns of August by Barbara Tuckman. It deals with the lead up to WWI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users