20 replies to this topic

#1 Vivi

Vivi

Dr. Snakes

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:14 PM

Well, I really don't have a problem with OCs, as long as their not the main focus...after all , I'm going to have some OCs in my story. But OCs can get out of hand and it gets to the point where it isn't even about the story anymore...What do you guys think?

#2 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Eating... Sleeping... Thinking about monkeys...

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

it all depends on the author, the usage, and the story. OC's can prove to be very helpful. they can even be main charactes, but ONLY if the author really defines their character well. otherwise the reader is confused.

#3 Wrathchylde

Wrathchylde

Old Fart.

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:stuff...

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:44 PM

OC's can be a bane or a blessing. When used properly, they can push the story along, add depth and create a character that a reader can identify with. On the other hand, you've got what seems to be the biggest trend for OC's. Super powered, self insertions. Alot of the time, especially in an action oriented storyline, an OC will be an all knowing character who can defeat anyone in a flash. When designing a character, remember that they're usually not gods. They have flaws and weaknesses. If they know everything that's going on, that means they're a busybody who doesn't have time for anything else so they'd be weak and probably not that well liked. Just make sure to keep them a character and not the author of the story.

#4 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Wrathchylde @ Aug 1 2006, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When designing a character, remember that they're usually not gods. They have flaws and weaknesses. If they know everything that's going on, that means they're a busybody who doesn't have time for anything else so they'd be weak and probably not that well liked. Just make sure to keep them a character and not the author of the story.

Now that's what I call good advice happy.gif

#5 Toa

Toa

Shota shota night fever~

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Computer, anime, music, drawing, arts, literature...a lot XD Neil~

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:42 PM

depends on the author on how he/she uses the OC...

I don't really acre about OCs as long as they help the plot of the story but just remain as a supporting character and not a main character

#6 starrynights

starrynights

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing

Posted 06 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

I don't mind OC's if they are not like Mary Sues or all powerfulls. If I write fic I try to make an OC not as important in main characters. Some OC's that made are suddenly taking over the whole story and main characters are put in background of the story. I really don't like that sometimes if it's written poorly. Like it was said before it mainly how the author writes.

#7 Aaron Nowack

Aaron Nowack

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 04:56 AM

Anybody who has read "One Hundred Days" knows where I come down on with this question.

OCs are extremely useful, and pretty much any story that takes Naruto is directions that canon doesn't go is going to use at least a few in minor roles. Unfortunately, OCs are also one of the hardest tools to use well, and many people are much worse at using OCs than they think. (I like to think I've managed it fairly well, but I could be wrong. smile.gif )

The important thing to remember, in my opinion, is that people read fanfic for the canon characters, not the OCs. An OC should exist to somehow serve the canon characters' stories; they aren't there to be the stars.

#8 gamerman_007

gamerman_007

Shodaime Smexkage

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Females, Internet/computers B(o)(o)bs.

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:30 AM

There is a fic I read, which the OC is the main character it. It's called "Silver Wolf, Red Fox". I like it, but I don't like the OC. And for OC's avoid whenever possible, the best OC is a placeholder OC. laugh.gif

Bunny: Sasuke, join me.
Sasuke: What will I receive if I join you?
Bunny: POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!
Sasuke: Sweet! what do I do?
Orochimaru: Sssssssssssssaaaaaaasssssssssukkkkkkeeeeeee-kkkuuuuuunnnn!
Sasuke: oh f***

Sono nantomo ienai sekushii na oshiri wo ore no kokan ni okittensukete rizumu ni awasete kosurinasai = Back that ass up. :D

#9 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 05:52 PM

I agree with Aaron and Wrathchylde. OC's have the ability to enrich a story and can add alot when used well. I have read a story where I think over twenty were used. It's was extremely lengthly so the author gave himselfplenty of space to work with each.

They are so hated because the vast majority of them tend to embody all the vices that readers hate about them. For example, perfection.

As others have one of the reasons they are so disliked is because they are Gods, all-knowing, all-doing characters who are the embodiment of perfection. And if they do have flaws they are generally minor, often to the point of being completely insignificant. But its more than just about adding flaws, I have seen OC where the author appears to add just a bunch of random traits in an attempt to sell it as a non-mary sue. This doesn't work either

The other thing that drives readers crazy is that in many cases the author appears to living vicariously through the character. It's how they would act if they were there. For example, not letting Naruto take the abuse he does from the villagers and some teammates (if they perceive it that way). The end result is them, being paired the desired characters.

I will not say that this should never be done, but OC/Character romances tend to be really contrived and cliche' and are, as I said, an attempt to live vicariously through the character they have created.

#10 Kyuubi's Kit

Kyuubi's Kit

Unimaginative-Klutz

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 02:10 AM

The main problem is that most authors don't know how to use OCs well. Sometimes really-powerful OCs aern't too bad, but there has to be some sort of conflict, some development, some flaws.

Sometimes introducing an OC can be a problem too. If you introduce them by making them "save" some main character, some people just mark it off as an over-powerful OC. It could probably be pulled off though, but it depends.

Kirby: The Greatest.Ninja.Ever.EVEEERRRR!!!!!
^^^MADE BY ME!!!^^^(A.K.A Slybrood/SilentCaim/Phate/JKFLBOB...And..Yeah...Man that's a lot of Usernames...)

Actualy, in certain hypothetical algebraic situations, 2+3 equals 1.

#11 Aaron Nowack

Aaron Nowack

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (Shriner @ Sep 7 2006, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have read a story where I think over twenty were used. It's was extremely lengthly so the author gave himselfplenty of space to work with each.

You know, this comment made me wonder, so I went and counted how many major OCs there were in One Hundred Days, including a couple of technically canon characters who I expanded from one appearance and a handful of lines into a more major role, but not counting the various bit parts like "ANBU #7" or "Random Civilian".

List contains at least one major spoiler for the story, so click at your own risk if you haven't read it and plan to.

Haruno Amaya (technically canon)
Koyanagi Miyoko
Hiraki Arata
Matsuyo Nissho
Mitarashi Kimi
Shimano Ren
Haruno Midori
Aoki Saburo
a (still-unnamed!) doctor
Yamakita Akira
Mako
Iwakuro Hojo
Sinobi Junhime
Gonkuro
Uzuki Ami (technically canon)
Mitokado Fuki (technically canon)
Inuzuka Shinta (technically canon)
Yuhara Maya
Chiba Ikkei
Kitakami Ichizo
Kitakami Rui
Kitakami Yuki
Haruno Shizuru
Kinji
Seseki
Nara Tsuneo
Nara Saeko
Kaida
Kiyomura Zeshin

So as of the end of Chapter 12, twenty-nine OCs I consider to be a least a little important, four of which are technically canon.

Just in case anyone else was curious too. smile.gif

#12 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 05:10 AM

Wow that is quite abit. Well, those were main characters that were present througout the story, if you include minor, it considerably more.

But I guess my point was, even though there was a lot the author made it work and it was a better story for having included them.

#13 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:31 AM

Restoration of Faith and Faith in Humanity have a lot of pretty good OC in them. Though they do appear to be quite powerful, but the author(karrafear) seems to be talented enough to not make them mary-sue's.
A NaruSaku Manifesto - A presentation on the NaruSaku pairing using the manga.

#14 Demonic_Wonder

Demonic_Wonder

Space-Pirate-Ninja Dohicky.

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:There's a difference between the things that I do and what interest me.

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:31 PM

I hate OC's that will never happen. Uzumaki Suruki , naruto's long lost sis..wtf? Uchiha Ren, Sasuke's long lost older brother...again..wtf?
But a good OC, is a beleivable one. happy.gif

#15 Nes Mikel

Nes Mikel

The Wanderer

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:26 AM

I think the biggest problem lies in the fact that most bad OC's that take a central role in a story in the world of fanfiction is that 99% of them (even if the author denies it) are self-inserts and/or mary-sues. I have to admit, I wrote a self-insert mary-sue story once before (not on Naruto, though, thank god), and I understand why people like to write that type of stuff. I mean come on, if you were a fanfiction author you have had to imagined at least once what it would've been like if you had been inserted into the anime world of your choosing, blessed with cool powers, and generally change everything for the better (or for worse) of your liking.

The problem? It's really, really hard to get other people relate to your character, hence the reason why nobody likes to read those types of fictions. A lot of people like to write them, sure, but a heck of a lot more don't like to read them too. If you got a lot of people to relate to your self-insert/mary-sue, then good for you. You just created a likeable OC.

But my opinion still stands in that it's probably a bad idea to create a self-insert and/or mary-sue OCs. Whenever I introduce OCs in my story, they are usually either:

a.) Cannon fodder
b.) Plot device/filler OCs
c.) Semi-OCs (OCs that are technically cannon, except left to the creater's imagination as we're not privy to the details because Kishimoto never explored them in depth)

I try my best to never, ever let an OC take a central role in a story. Some will be important, but they are basically there to further enhance a canon character, making the canon characters more 'realistic' so to speak.

To use my story, Empyreal Paradox, as an example:

(List contains spoilers if you're not familiar with the story)

Hyuuga Setsuka: The Fourth Hokage's to-be wife and Hyuuga Hiashi and Hizashi's younger sister. In a very complicated sense this character is technically canon since Sakura is currently this character.

Mizouchi Rukyou: The 'Butcher of Kusagakure', a Hidden Grass missing-nin, introduced and killed off as cannon fodder to illistrate the Second Hokage's strength and personality.

Kazama Seishi: The Second Hokage of the Hidden Leaf. Currently retired. Technically canon. His name and personality, however, is made-up.

Hyuuga Juubei: Hyuuga Clan Branch house member. Introduced and killed off as cannon fodder to illistrate how costly the battle between the Leaf and the Mist was.

Hyuuga Hyouma: Same as above.

Hyuuga Okoi: Same as above.

Hyuuga Saemon: Same as above.

Utono Kagerou: The apperentice of the strongest swordsman among the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. An important OC for the sake of plot development.

The Master: The strongest swordsman among the Seven Swordsmen of the Mist. An important OC for the sake of plot development.

Hyuuga Sen: The Hyuuga Clan's Fifth Generation Leader, and the father of Hiashi, Hizashi, and Setsuka. Filler OC. Technically canon.

Hyuuga Masaki: Hyuuga Sen's wife. Died in Setsuka's childbirth. Filler OC. Technically canon.

Hatake Midori: Hatake Sakumo's wife and the eventual mother for Hatake Kakashi. Filler OC. Technically canon. Her background has been made up.

Nagi: Sakumo and Midori's ANBU squad teammate. Filler OC.

Kaede: Same as above.

Miwako: Mist nin. Mitarashi Anko's mother, and for that, she is technically canon. Introduced as cannon fodder to illistrate Saukumo's strength and to explain the birth secret of Mitarashi Anko.

Miwako's husband: The poor Mist nin that got killed by Sakumo before he even had a chance to give himself a name. Introduced as cannon fodder for the same reason as above.

Sometimes I think I maybe overdid it with the numbers of OCs, but at the very least more than half of them would never make an appearance again because they are already dead. Hahahahaha. *evil laugh*

The biggest thing to remember when creating an OC, I think, is to make sure that either they will never take major roles, and in the event they do, make sure to create a OC that is both likeable and realistic.

#16 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:30 AM

Nes, your story makes my head spin! In a good way! Your OCs are great.

Hmm... I want to make an OC, a really good one. OCs are like any story, if its good, believable and catchy then you have a hit. Otherwise, you can sink that ship.

#17 Aaron Nowack

Aaron Nowack

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (Nes Mikel @ Jan 2 2007, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes I think I maybe overdid it with the numbers of OCs, but at the very least more than half of them would never make an appearance again because they are already dead. Hahahahaha. *evil laugh*

"Overdid it"? I consider that list amazingly small given the story you're trying to tell; if I were trying to write a story set in that era it would probably be at least twice as long with significantly fewer entires on the list dying in first couple chapters. If anyone ever accuses you of having too many OCs, just point them to my list above. There's even been at least one OC added to One Hundred Days since then... wink.gif

I'm excited that my idea for my next big Naruto story should be writable without any OCs in major roles, which is basically a first for me. My muses tend to like stories that just can't be told without a vast cast expansion; it's a good thing that I'm at least somewhat competent at it based on reader reaction.

#18 Luis

Luis

The GREATEST Manga artist in the WORLD!!!

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the greatist comic/manga artist of all time &gt;_&lt; and playing music and starting a studioe ;P all purpuse studio ;P

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

we have to know what an OC is frist look at it i mean The Naruto charter are OC just to the guy how came you with naruto. now i am writhing a manga and i need to come you with charters so i got my friends together and had them draw them shelf as if they were is manga them i tolk it from there now when you put how they act you have to take in how they act and other things like haptes and names charter you can find are molde form some one or some thing tohat makes them how they are. that is what an OC is it deppens on how you use it in storys if porly then bad if graet then good it can brake or make a story
My art ;P
What every one want.
What every one needs.
yet not every one gets it.

#19 TokehGecko

TokehGecko

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:06 PM

Hmm, the OCs in my stories are usually killed off after a chapter or two, because OCs are supposed to be there for a reason. When there's no reason anymore, kill them off or make them disappear for a while.

There was an exception for one fic of mine, there where when is now, where I didn't kill off OCs because I received good reviews about them, strange enough. In such circumstances, I considered it possible to let them remain alive throughout the fic and let them pop in every once in a while.

But usually, I think you're supposed to use an OC to, for example, complete a Three-men Cell, or an ANBU Team, or any other important, but relatively small purpose.

People tend to get annoyed when an OC's name keeps being readable in a fic, like 'What the hell, who is that? Was that character in the anime/manga?' Some readers even get annoyed to see a name which was only used in the filler.

Basically, my advise is to use as little OCs as possible. And if you do, don't make them as important. For example, becoming a father/mother figure for a main character, or best friend/rival, brother/sister for the main char.

That's my take on it, anyway.

#20 Annethy

Annethy

CURSE YOU VLADCARD

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:whatever i wanna be interested in!

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

i really dont mind OCs but only if they are well written.

for example, D. M. Evans (one of my favorite FMA writers) has very well written OCs, ones with just enough information and good descriptions that make them believable for that setting; while other authors use their OCs as their own way to twist the character into OOC-ness.

i really dont like writing OCs, but some times it's needed for things like villans, if you dont want to infringe with cannon. but that's kindof oxymoronic, concidering the fact that they are OCs.

sometimes, it's better to take a namless character in a background and make a story for them, y ou know... this is bob. he's that nameless ninja who started the whole narusasu fandom (meaning chapter three) obsession. bob likes fish and apple juice, etc. no offence meant to anyone named bob or any narusasu fans

one last question tho... would an alternate personality placed in side a character's mind by an external force be concidered and OC? or would it be an OOc character?

anyway, that just my two cents.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users