202 replies to this topic

#1 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:15 AM

AHEM* A new topic although it is related to this in a sense I read on this site that Fans don't like the portrayal Naruto's female characters here: (read the bottom)

http://fanlore.org/w...The_Big_3_Manga

so what do you think, are Naruto's female cast being portrayed as weak, lacking will or something? huh.gif

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#2 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:26 AM

That's a nice wiki you found there. I loved the illustrations of the storylines and it affirms my beliefs why I prefer Naruto over the other 2. It has a storyline that goes one way but can be expanded into many different directions but still end up the same. Making it predictable and unpredictable at the same time.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#3 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jul 10 2011, 07:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a nice wiki you found there. I loved the illustrations of the storylines and it affirms my beliefs why I prefer Naruto over the other 2. It has a storyline that goes one way but can be expanded into many different directions but still end up the same. Making it predictable and unpredictable at the same time.

I'm happy you appreciate it Codus laugh.gif anyways anyone read the bottom it says that Naruto is mistreating its female characters, does anyone gere think that? mellow.gif

Edited by Phantom_999, 10 July 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#4 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

It used to be the big 4 with Fullmetal Alchemist.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#5 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

TRUE cool.gif

#6 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jul 10 2011, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It used to be the big 4 with Fullmetal Alchemist.

Actually FMA was published in Monthly Shounen Gangen, so it can't be included with the Big 3, which are all published on a weekly basis. That's why it took nine years to finish the 108 chapter series. Not dissing FMA or anything, but the pace that series took kind of makes it hard to compare with Naruto, OP, and Bleach as far as sales go.

As for the critcism of female characters, I've always thought Naruto had a stronger female cast than most manga/anime I've seen. But maybe that's just me. In any case, I wouldn't put too much stock into that line, considering how that comment didn't even have a citation. From what I've seen so far, the Fanlore Wiki is almost as bad as Narutopedia in regards to source citation.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 10 July 2011 - 10:46 PM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#7 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

Even though it could go with this topic, its still another subject to discuss about. So I will move these posts into a different thread.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#8 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:31 AM

okay Derock! a_thumbs.gif yeah I agree with You booming The female cast in Naruto is unique and and definitely not weak but some fans are claiming that they are and though it is not fact and it maybe like Narutopedia it's still their opinions and and was just wondering if everyone feels the same. Or maybe its just bashing on the One Piece's fans part headscratch.gif But I'd like to think FMA could compete with the Big 3

Edited by Phantom_999, 11 July 2011 - 01:38 AM.

#9 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jul 10 2011, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anyways anyone read the bottom it says that Naruto is mistreating its female characters, does anyone here think that? mellow.gif

LOL of course. Just look at the amount of development the two main male characters get in comparison to Sakura. She is nothing more than a blip in the entire timeline of the story. At least three generations of Konoha teams that were most prominent included the female member always being the medic. Tsunade in comparison certainly wasn't on par with Oro or Jiraiya and Sakura is headed down the same route given her development compared to Naruto and Sasuke. Honestly, what female warrior have we seen anywhere near the level of the most powerful male warriors? But it doesn't bother me most of the female ninja are in some way medics. It just doesn't look very awesome in comparison to the guys, most of the time. The girls not getting at least some development beyond their romantic interests is what bothers me. TenTen doesn't even have a last name and Sakura barely has a back story. Come on, it wouldn't kill him to do a little more, would it?

Not only that but I find Kishi's interpretation of a 'real girl', aka Sakura, to be pretty unrealistic at this point.

Perhaps there are some girls who would still be in love with a guy who has tried to kill her multiple times. I'm not a ninja so what do I know? XD Doesn't mean I don't support Sakura, I just don't find her all that realistic anymore on certain accounts, nor do I find Kishimoto all that gifted at writing women. Seeing as how he admitted he wasn't very good at it, or comfortable with it, I suppose it shows.

#10 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jul 11 2011, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL of course. Just look at the amount of development the two main male characters get in comparison to Sakura. She is nothing more than a blip in the entire timeline of the story. At least three generations of Konoha teams that were most prominent included the female member always being the medic. Tsunade in comparison certainly wasn't on par with Oro or Jiraiya and Sakura is headed down the same route given her development compared to Naruto and Sasuke. Honestly, what female warrior have we seen anywhere near the level of the most powerful male warriors? But it doesn't bother me most of the female ninja are in some way medics. It just doesn't look very awesome in comparison to the guys, most of the time. The girls not getting at least some development beyond their romantic interests is what bothers me. TenTen doesn't even have a last name and Sakura barely has a back story. Come on, it wouldn't kill him to do a little more, would it?

Not only that but I find Kishi's interpretation of a 'real girl', aka Sakura, to be pretty unrealistic at this point.

Perhaps there are some girls who would still be in love with a guy who has tried to kill her multiple times. I'm not a ninja so what do I know? XD Doesn't mean I don't support Sakura, I just don't find her all that realistic anymore on certain accounts, nor do I find Kishimoto all that gifted at writing women. Seeing as how he admitted he wasn't very good at it, or comfortable with it, I suppose it shows.

i agree... in terms of fighting...

ino--> hasnt won one fight by herself
hinata--> lost both fights she was in, almost dying
tenten---> do i need to say anything??? she won against herself if thats something
tsunade--> got hurt by kabuto over a fear that a medic really shouldnt have....and couldnt defend against pain
temari--> isnt shown enough cause shes from another village.
kurenai-->hasnt done anything!! compared to kakshi, asuma and gai
shizune--> is only a medic
sakura--> has been doing better than all of the above, but compared to her teammates, sakura isnt getting the fair share of fights and development in techniques...i mean COMON!! the girl knows like one jutsu and its for healing!!! give her more KISHI!!!

anyway. maybe im not giving enough props.....i love allll the girl characters (eh kinda hinata) but they arent getting what they deserve...i like healing and i know its important but a little action cant hurt them.

Edited by merryGOflava, 11 July 2011 - 10:37 PM.

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#11 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jul 11 2011, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Completely agree. Sometimes I wonder if it's not some differences in east-vs.-west storyteling, because that woman-as-healer thing is soooo common.

The fact that it's even a discussion point in the manga that women who are strong are the ones you want (Shika's dad, Jiraiya) should be a clue. *ahem* waaaay ahead of you, buddy.

However one of the things I enjoyed so much about FMA is the really strong female characters, with no drawbacks. Izumi, their teacher, was a great one, as well as Gen. Armstrong. Unapologetic badass girls. Izumi screeching that she's "A HOUSEWIFE!" before she wipes somebody out is epic.

And I remember some of the talk about creating Katara's character had to do with making a girl who was self-possessed and capable, that was powerful in her own right. And we are shown that all the time in ATLA.

In Naruto, we know Sakura is powerful because we are told she is, not becaue she gets a lot of panel time actually being a badass.

edit: lov your beautiful sig, btw!

Edited by tricksie, 11 July 2011 - 11:38 PM.

#12 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (merryGOflava @ Jul 11 2011, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i agree... in terms of fighting...

ino--> hasnt won one fight by herself
hinata--> lost both fights she was in, almost dying
tenten---> do i need to say anything??? she won against herself if thats something
tsunade--> got hurt by kabuto over a fear that a medic really shouldnt have....and couldnt defend against pain
temari--> isnt shown enough cause shes from another village.
kurenai-->hasnt done anything!! compared to kakshi, asuma and gai
shizune--> is only a medic
sakura--> has been doing better than all of the above, but compared to her teammates, sakura isnt getting the fair share of fights and development in techniques...i mean COMON!! the girl knows like one jutsu and its for healing!!! give her more KISHI!!!

anyway. maybe im not giving enough props.....i love allll the girl characters (eh kinda hinata) but they arent getting what they deserve...i like healing and i know its important but a little action cant hurt them.

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jul 12 2011, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Completely agree. Sometimes I wonder if it's not some differences in east-vs.-west storyteling, because that woman-as-healer thing is soooo common.

The fact that it's even a discussion point in the manga that women who are strong are the ones you want (Shika's dad, Jiraiya) should be a clue. *ahem* waaaay ahead of you, buddy.

However one of the things I enjoyed so much about FMA is the really strong female characters, with no drawbacks. Izumi, their teacher, was a great one, as well as Gen. Armstrong. Unapologetic badass girls. Izumi screeching that she's "A HOUSEWIFE!" before she wipes somebody out is epic.

And I remember some of the talk about creating Katara's character had to do with making a girl who was self-possessed and capable, that was powerful in her own right. And we are shown that all the time in ATLA.

In Naruto, we know Sakura is powerful because we are told she is, not becaue she gets a lot of panel time actually being a badass.

my thoughts exactly emoticon_monocle.gif th_coffee.gifI want Sakura and Naruto to get development in techniques and become stronger I want Sakura to be one of the series' strongest characters and Naruto too if he isn't THE strongest so they will get some positive light and make their children heheelq7.png AMAZING!!!

#13 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jul 11 2011, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This. So much. Sure we get panels of Kakashi or Jiraiya or others saying how she is like Tsunade or will surpass her or has improved a lot, etc. But do we ever see it? Hardly. It's not enough in a manga like this to just say things; they need to be shown in panels to be proven. A war is going on and Sakura hasn't had a real fight yet. I mean, if Kishi won't show her fighting now, what hope is there for her point in the story being beyond romantic subplot? As the main female character, she should get something more special than simply the ability to heal and a mess of emotions.

Thank you! Need to get my Potter on~ pimp.png

#14 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:47 AM

OOOOOHH!!! That's Hermione! sorry I didn't recognize her because that's the first time I've seen an anime style of her anyway NICE miss soupy though I miss your Ulquhime sigs heheelq7.png

Edited by Phantom_999, 12 July 2011 - 01:50 AM.

#15 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:17 AM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Jul 11 2011, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OOOOOHH!!! That's Hermione! sorry I didn't recognize her because that's the first time I've seen an anime style of her anyway NICE miss soupy though I miss your Ulquhime sigs heheelq7.png

LOL Don't worry, they shall return with a vengeance after my Harry Potter fever subsides heheelq7.png

#16 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:25 AM

Indeed, what I love about Harakawa's writing is that almost everyone in FMA can hold their own next to each other. I don't mean combat-wise, but as characters. Even Winry, despite not being a fighter or alchemist manages to be a "healer" (on account of being Ed's automail engineer) but she's not shoehorned into crying and pining at the background all the time.

...I don't know if that makes sense at all....

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 12 July 2011 - 04:25 AM.

#17 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

^^ Definitely, FMA had some of the best female characters I've seen in manga/anime. I mean Gen. Armstrong was awesome. Pretty much a female Kenpachi Zaraki (from Bleach). I'd love to see a crossover pairing with those two. They'd probably have the most powerful babies in existence.

I wonder if FMA's strong female cast has anything to do with it having a female mangaka. But I guess that's probably pretty simplistic logic on my part, since I don't know very many modern-day female manga writers.

Back on topic, I like Sakura and everything, but the whole SasuSaku thing really annoys me. I mean, maybe Kishi's pushing character relationships over the individual characters themselves, but the her one-sided Sasuke attraction hardly seems like a positive thing for her. My personal opinion is that getting past that attraction will be one of the last obstacles for her character, but it's still kind of hard to see her as the 'realistic girl' after everything that's happened between them.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 12 July 2011 - 04:57 AM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#18 pharix

pharix

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Jul 12 2011, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder if FMA's strong female cast has anything to do with it having a female mangaka. But I guess that's probably pretty simplistic logic on my part, since I don't know very many modern-day female manga writers.

whoa I didn't even know that... doesn't seem like the type of story a female would write >_> (THIS IS NOT IN ANY WAY SEXIST)

#19 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE (pharix @ Jul 12 2011, 06:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whoa I didn't even know that... doesn't seem like the type of story a female would write >_> (THIS IS NOT IN ANY WAY SEXIST)

biggrin.gif yea, hitman reborn was also made by a girl....if i remember :3

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#20 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jul 12 2011, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed, what I love about Harakawa's writing is that almost everyone in FMA can hold their own next to each other. I don't mean combat-wise, but as characters. Even Winry, despite not being a fighter or alchemist manages to be a "healer" (on account of being Ed's automail engineer) but she's not shoehorned into crying and pining at the background all the time.

...I don't know if that makes sense at all....

You forget Mei. She's a healer too. wink.gif But unlike many other healers, she can also kick ass at the same time. Hell, she held her ground against Father awesomely. Even Father didn't come close to finishing her before Scar activated his circle.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users