Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:53 AM

I agree with you Nate River.
I do not like his policies, nor am I excited about his Presidency.

#42 Sora no Kitsune

Sora no Kitsune

Keyblade Master

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Manga/Anime - Naruto, FMA, ect.<br />Video Games - Kingdom Hearts, Metroid, LoL, Tera<br />Music - 2 Step from Hell, Rise Against, 30stm<br />Books - Inheritance Cycle (Eragon Series), Game of Thrones<br />Sports - DAGORHIR!!!!<br />

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jan 20 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't understand your complaint. Are you saying it's ridiculous for people to complain about him for Republican or personal opinions...? You're going to have to elaborate. For people who complained about Bush did they not do so based on their personal opinion of him and his policies? Why would that not be equally ridiculous aside from the fact you may not agree with his policies?

There are people who do not like Obama. There are those that do not like his policies. I do not like his policies. I wasn't inspired or impressed. It was a good speech, but I didn't find it all that remarkable. I'm not going pretend that I did nor am I going to pretend that I'm excited about his Presidency when I'm not. It would be insincere of me to express excitement and joy when I don't feel any of it.

I don't see how the historical nature of it suspends their right to criticize a man with which they don't agree. If the first black President had been the conservative Michael Steele or Clarence Thomas would it be fair to criticize Democrats who disagree and complained simply because of the historical nature or would they too be asked to celebrate a Presidency for which they do not feel excitement? Would you have celebrated and suspended criticism of Sarah Palin had McCain won simply because of the historical nature of that achievement? I doubt it and I wouldn't expect or ask you to do otherwise.

Although i don't agree with your opinion about Obama, which is my own opinion and i don't think less of you because of that, I do, however, agree with the rest of your well thought out and perfectly fair reply.

People shouldn't think less of other others just because their opinions are diffrent. If your willing to fight over whos right or wrong over a subjective statement, then are you any diffrent from the many before you whom you look down apon with disappointed looks? If it's their opinion, accept it, even if it is the exact opposite from yours.

Get Chance and Luck!!~

#43 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (Kurosaki Ichigo @ Jan 20 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with you Nate River.
I do not like his policies, nor am I excited about his Presidency.

I'm not really irritated about that. What bothered me is the implication that the historical nature of this provides a de facto shield against criticism. That because of the historical nature of the achievement we can't say anything bad about him when most people would not have done the same for Palin or someone like Michael Steele. I simply cannot pretend to be excited when I'm not. This historical nature of this doesn't change my view on his policies and that's the bottom line.

If his policies work and he does a good job, that'll be fantastic. I don't think they will, but he has the chance to prove me wrong and convince me otherwise. If he succeeds I will acknowledge that success. Until then, I'm not going to be silent and refrain from stating my opinion simply because he's the first black president. I expect no more and no less of him than I would anyone else.

#44 VNgal

VNgal

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:15 AM

My school spent ALL day watching President Obama. We didn't even do schoolwork! You should've seen us when he did his oath, it was deathly silent

#45 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Jan 20 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not really irritated about that. What bothered me is the implication that the historical nature of this provides a de facto shield against criticism. That because of the historical nature of the achievement we can't say anything bad about him when most people would not have done the same for Palin or someone like Michael Steele. I simply cannot pretend to be excited when I'm not. This historical nature of this doesn't change my view on his policies and that's the bottom line.

If his policies work and he does a good job, that'll be fantastic. I don't think they will, but he has the chance to prove me wrong and convince me otherwise. If he succeeds I will acknowledge that success. Until then, I'm not going to be silent and refrain from stating my opinion simply because he's the first black president. I expect no more and no less of him than I would anyone else.

Again, he's *not* the first 'black' President. And two, you are wrong about the criticism of him. Leading up until the inauguration, that's all that Obama was getting. Criticism. From Republicans *and* even his own fellow Democrats about his policies, his stimulus package, his tax breaks/rebates, how much his whole plan would cost. They man has been fielding nothing *but* criticism for weeks now, and I'm *sure* that after today he'll be once again trying to defend his plans and ideas.

Today was a special day. *Everyone* put away their sharp words, criticisms, and barbs, and just let the man have his day. Tomorrow they'll all start up again. So just for today, let's just let him have his day in the sun, and not start the political lampooning until tomorrow, hm happy.gif

#46 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jan 20 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, he's *not* the first 'black' President. And two, you are wrong about the criticism of him. Leading up until the inauguration, that's all that Obama was getting. Criticism. From Republicans *and* even his own fellow Democrats about his policies, his stimulus package, his tax breaks/rebates, how much his whole plan would cost. They man has been fielding nothing *but* criticism for weeks now, and I'm *sure* that after today he'll be once again trying to defend his plans and ideas.

Today was a special day. *Everyone* put away their sharp words, criticisms, and barbs, and just let the man have his day. Tomorrow they'll all start up again. So just for today, let's just let him have his day in the sun, and not start the political lassoing until tomorrow, hm happy.gif

THANK YOU, Shauna!

I'm just sick and tired of the criticisms they are giving to the new Commander-in-chief. He JUST GOT INTO OFFICE! Wait until like the end of his first term to start talking if he did good or bad for the nation. And yes he has ALOT on his plate, more like over 10 things ranging from economy (both domestic and global) to healthcare, hell, I just find out about there is a problem with the senior citizens who are part of the Baby Boomers generation and social security. And this doesn't take like "1-2-3 and BAM, that's the whole shebang!" No, he said this will take time and there will be some risks along the way and we have to become more RESPONSIBLE.

He said he need EVERYONE'S help. And this is why I see Obama will be a good leader starting right now because he's using the words responsibility and teamwork and emphasing (might be wrong spelling) it. This is why he's using the same strategy Lincoln did back then when he was President (having his friends and enemies working together in one Cabinet and listening to different views).

EDIT:

Oh and I also like to point out to those who said what's the big deal about the celebration... most of you who briefly heard or stayed in the US don't realize or understand that this country has had SO many social issues in society since the beginning of America as a country, I really can't elaborate it in detail. But when Obama won the election and recently took oath for office, he managed to break one of those barriers that America had since years. He managed to bring hope and inspiration to the entire nation, which makes us believe that we can be an equal nation without any barriers in between.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#47 Nee-sama

Nee-sama

Still trying to beat the boredom.

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:30 AM

I'm sorry that wasn't really clear. I don't mean to imply that just because this is a historic first that should sheild him from any critism. What I found rediculous was the fact that people seem to think that Obama will literally run this country into the ground. Judging from the text of his speech that I just read he is making an effort to do the opposite.

971084_656443124372835_371212529_n_zps46

#48 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:42 AM

That was pretty funny at the Commander and Chief ball

Barack: "I think I've been stood up"

laugh.gif

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#49 jigglychu

jigglychu

is a MAN

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jan 20 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Again, he's *not* the first 'black' President.

Not withstanding the relevance or importance of this small distinction, I fail to see how this is as cut and dry as you make it sound. The term "black" is ambiguous, and by society's convention, refers to both people with a significant portion of African American ancestry and people with complete African American ancestry. Consequently, it's completely justfiable to say that Obama is the nation's first "black" president.

Edited by jigglychu, 21 January 2009 - 04:10 AM.

Jigs

#50 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (jigglychu @ Jan 20 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not withstanding the relevance or importance of this small distinction, I fail to see how this is as cut and dry as you make it sound. The term "black" is ambiguous, and by society's convention, refers to both people with a significant portion of African American ancestry and people with complete African American ancestry. Consequently, it's completely justfiable to say that Obama is the nation's first "black" president.

If going by your logic, why don't they say that he is also white? Why is it that when someone has even a *drop* of black blood in them, they are *instantly* labeled as being 'black'. Why is their other half *immediately* discarded? I have no problem with the media portraying me him as black. I have a problem with them not even *mentioning* his other half. At all. There is significance in his being from both races. America was established by people of *all* walks of life, from *many* different cultures, and just irks me that the significance of *all* of Obama's birthrights are downplayed by the media, in favour of hyping up only *one* aspect of it. I'm not saying that there is no significance in him being *part* black, because obviously there is. Just that they stop saying that he is *all* black. Because he's not.

#51 jigglychu

jigglychu

is a MAN

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jan 20 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If going by your logic, why don't they say that he is also white? Why is it that when someone has even a *drop* of black blood in them, they are *instantly* labeled as being 'black'. Why is their other half *immediately* discarded? I have no problem with the media portraying me him as black. I have a problem with them not even *mentioning* his other half. At all. There is significance in his being from both races. America was established by people of *all* walks of life, from *many* different cultures, and just irks me that the significance of *all* of Obama's birthrights are downplayed by the media, in favour of hyping up only *one* aspect of it. I'm not saying that there is no significance in him being *part* black, because obviously there is. Just that they stop saying that he is *all* black. Because he's not.

My point was that black and "100% African American" are not synonymous. No one in the media is saying he is "100% African American". The media is focusing on that aspect of his heritage since that is the part that is making history today. Sure, it might be a little clearer to say he's the first president that's "not completely white" or "partly black", but that adds unneeded complexity when "black" gets the same message across. happy.gif
Jigs

#52 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE (jigglychu @ Jan 20 2009, 11:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My point was that black and "100% African American" are not synonymous. No one in the media is saying he is "100% African American". The media is focusing on that aspect of his heritage since that is the part that is making history today. Sure, it might be a little clearer to say he's the first president that's "not completely white" or "partly black", but that adds unneeded complexity when "black" gets the same message across. happy.gif

Meh, for reasons that are my own it still irks me, even though I understand why the media plays it up like this. But, as I said before I just want to enjoy this day, so let's just let the subject drop and let Obama have his time in the spotlight happy.gif

#53 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jan 20 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Today was a special day. *Everyone* put away their sharp words, criticisms, and barbs, and just let the man have his day. Tomorrow they'll all start up again. So just for today, let's just let him have his day in the sun, and not start the political lampooning until tomorrow, hm happy.gif

As far as he's the first black president or not in the sense you mean it, I'm not going to debate the issue for the simple reason that I don't think that distinction has any bearing on my overall argument. Second, whether he's 100% or 0% black is of no importance to me. Either way he is still Barack Obama and his policies are still his policies and that's what matters to me. The specific label we use to desrcibe whatever first his presidency is isn't terribly important to me.

I never said he hasn't been criticized. I objected to the implication that he should be given any kind of deference on his inaugeration day when it hasn't been and likely wouldn't be given to someone else and that I'm not going to make that exception simply because it happens to be historical. If you believe that there should be a tradition where all Presidents are given that kind of deference for their inaugeration day then I think that's fair.

However, it's an all or none deal. If the reason to do so is to let them celebrate their day and their achievement then all President's should be afforded that deference because their inaugerations are a big deal to them as well.

THANK YOU, Shauna!

I'm just sick and tired of the criticisms they are giving to the new Commander-in-chief. He JUST GOT INTO OFFICE! Wait until like the end of his first term to start talking if he did good or bad for the nation. And yes he has ALOT on his plate, more like over 10 things ranging from economy (both domestic and global) to healthcare, hell, I just find out about there is a problem with the senior citizens who are part of the Baby Boomers generation and social security. And this doesn't take like "1-2-3 and BAM, that's the whole shebang!" No, he said this will take time and there will be some risks along the way and we have to become more RESPONSIBLE.

He said he need EVERYONE'S help. And this is why I see Obama will be a good leader starting right now because he's using the words responsibility and teamwork and emphasing (might be wrong spelling) it. This is why he's using the same strategy Lincoln did back then when he was President (having his friends and enemies working together in one Cabinet and listening to different views).

What you've said is true for any President who has ever held office. Think he has it worse than Gerald Ford who had to follow Nixon? What about Harry Truman who had World War II suddenly dumped in his lap and who almost from the get go had to decide whether to invade Japan or drop the bomb on them?

Second, (1) you'll have to get used to it, it's the nature of the beast. Bush supporters put up with the same thing for 8 years as did Clinton supporters. (2) Would you honestly do what you are asking others to do here if the person elected was someone you didn't like and someone who policies you believe were bad for the country? Would you give them a chance and sit in silence for nearly their entire administration to see what happened if it wasn't your guy in office? Would you offer such full supporter and help to policies in which you didn't believe?

Honestly, I can't believe you would and I think it would be ridicolous to ask that of you. If say, Sarah Palin, had been elected would you not think it absurd for me to ask you to sit back and say nothing for a candidate you hate and think will harm the country?

Oh, and Pelosi used words like bipartisan, responsibility, and ethics when she won in 2006. That hasn't been the case. If fact, she's ditching rules that were put in place by the 1994 Republican Congress that were meant to give minority parties a greater say. In other words, she trying to shut Republicans out of the process. So, you'll have to forgive for being skepitcal since the last person who used words like that turned out to be a total fraud. The halls of Washington are filled with the unfullfilled promises of many politicians of all stripes and parties who promised the same thing and didn't deliver.

If he wants me to believe it, he'll have show me and he may do so. I simply don't think the policies that have been proposed so far match the retoric. He has at least four years to prove me wrong. If he can live up to the promise then that's great, but he has to that first.

Your entitled to your opinion and I don't have a problem that you like him, but you are not entitled to ask those who disagree to stand down for your guy if you cannot do the same for Presidents you do not support. I don't think it would even be fair for me to ask you do something like that.

#54 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

Okay. Enough. There *is* a political thread for all of this debating. This is *not* that thread.

All Things Politics

This thread is just to celebrate Obama's inauguration, and to state where you were, and what you were doing on this day. So for the last time, let us *please* just drop everything else that has nothing to do with the actual inauguration. Thank you.

#55 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

And speaking of inaugurations, there are 10 official balls that the First Couple were attending, does that mean that other Inaugural type balls and galas happening during the night wouldn't be attended by the president or vice-president?

#56 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jan 21 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And speaking of inaugurations, there are 10 official balls that the First Couple were attending, does that mean that other Inaugural type balls and galas happening during the night wouldn't be attended by the president or vice-president?

Probably so. I hear that there were a number of unofficial ones that were cancelled for lack of funds. But, I'd wouldn't be surprised if that happened simply because he had a lot of places he had to be and he can only be in one place at once.

And for the record, during the ceremony I was at work doing jail docket (people who can't bond out or are being held for probation revocations). So, I was sending guys to jail, including a enteraining fellow who wanted an extension on his probation and informed me that the reason he hadn't been complying with it in first place was because he was on the run.

#57 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:33 AM

My Canadian friends are proud that finally a minority has made it into the White House. biggrin.gif

I share their sentiments.

#58 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:54 AM

....Nehhhh not worth writing it all out. XDDD

Alls I have to add is that even though I'm not all that super politically charged and debating left and right, I'm still excited to admit that there was a president, in my FIRST voting period, that has actually gotten me excited and filled with hope for the future. I think he deserves most of the praise. He inspired a whole nation even before his presidency began-- heck, I volunteered on inauguration day and I'm planning on giving time for that Starbucks thing a few friends of mine found out about a few days ago.

Again-- BEFORE his presidency.

That's skills. >w>

And if he can do that with one nation, think what he can do with the whole world by the time we're in the meat of his term? The possibilities look promising. (:

Another reason I'd like to point out about why I'm so into Obama and his mind-set is that he centers his goals and aspirations around difference and multi-culturalism. I dunno about you (btw I'm totes not here for a racial dispute) but I've had to deal with being the minority big time when I was younger. I've been through that whole ethnicity trouble and 'prejudice' as a kid-- I've gone through it. And I think anybody who's grown up as a 2nd and 3rd generation kid from a family that migrated in, can really vouch for me. So that plays a huge role in, personally, why I believe this guy is gonna do legendary things.

...But! I'll agree with the opinion that people need to lay off kissing the ground he walks on or having every single tiny little move he makes on the news. I mean seriously, his dog? On primetime news? C'MON. I got a pure-bred golden retriever a year back, lost him to some dude that wanted him, emo'd forever and ever and I STILL didn't even make THE FRONT PAGE OF MY COUNTY PAPERS D:

Anyway, in a nutshell, I'm just really optimistic about Obamamamamama's term. |D

"Unclench your fists" GUIS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users