236 replies to this topic

#61 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

I appreciate the effort to update things, and I like a few of the new features, but I don't think I like this update, overall.  I hate to post this, because I'm sure I'll come across as one of those "sourpusses who just doesn't like change," but I would like to think that I have a legitimate justification for each of the critiques I give other than I "just don't like change."  And most of what my complaints go beyond bug fixes, so I'm not sure how many (if any) of them can be addressed.

The library been disabled (you say there's an archive there, but I'm not able to access it), which you say is "necessary" for the upgrade, and is "the reason we haven't updated in so long."  The library is one of the principle reasons I joined this site all those years ago, so I hope this isn't permanent.

The text background is a downgrade, now a harsh white that is hard on the eyes (there do appear to be ways to change some colors, but if there's a way to change that I haven't found it yet) instead of an eye-saving soft blue.  I would at least like the option to change that text background -- much more than I would to change the banner color, which seems to be the only setting change you can make to the view.

Also, I have yet to figure out how to mark topics as read.  It used to be you could click on a "view new posts" button and then click on "mark all as read"; there is now a "View new content" button, which could prove very useful, but without a "mark all as read" button it'll make navigating the forums for new content that actually interests me difficult.  The View New Content button has a lot of nice features, but it doesn't act the same way -- there is no way to mark things as read for the "content I have not read" option, and "new since my last visit" isn't actually "new since my last visit," but rather "well, you were here a few hours ago and it was new then, so I think it's still new now."

Also, this may just be user error (as in, I may just not have found the right button, yet), here, but I'm not able to get gallery images to zoom in as much as I used to.  It makes reading text on some pictures difficult.  Edit:  Okay, a little more exploring and I've got it, but it requires more button-pushing than before.  Ugh.  Also, sometimes it stretches pics funny on widescreen monitors.

I like the idea of upgrading the forums, and I appreciate all the hard work, but... I'm not happy with the result.  Sorry.  :confused:

Edited by desaix, 25 May 2013 - 09:46 PM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#62 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

I appreciate the effort to update things, and I like a few of the new features, but I don't think I like this update, overall.  I hate to post this, because I'm sure I'll come across as one of those "sourpusses who just doesn't like change," but I would like to think that I have a legitimate justification for each of the critiques I give other than I "just don't like change."  And most of what my complaints go beyond bug fixes, so I'm not sure how many (if any) of them can be addressed.

The library been disabled (you say there's an archive there, but I'm not able to access it), which you say is "necessary" for the upgrade, and is "the reason we haven't updated in so long."  The library is one of the principle reasons I joined this site all those years ago, so I hope this isn't permanent.

The text background is a downgrade, now a harsh white that is hard on the eyes (there do appear to be ways to change some colors, but if there's a way to change that I haven't found it yet) instead of an eye-saving soft blue.  I would at least like the option to change that text background -- much more than I would to change the banner color, which seems to be the only setting change you can make to the view.

Also, I have yet to figure out how to mark topics as read.  It used to be you could click on a "view new posts" button and then click on "mark all as read"; there is now a "View new content" button, which could prove very useful, but without a "mark all as read" button it'll make navigating the forums for new content that actually interests me difficult.  The View New Content button has a lot of nice features, but it doesn't act the same way -- there is no way to mark things as read for the "content I have not read" option, and "new since my last visit" isn't actually "new since my last visit," but rather "well, you were here a few hours ago and it was new then, so I think it's still new now."

Also, this may just be user error (as in, I may just not have found the right button, yet), here, but I'm not able to get gallery images to zoom in as much as I used to.  It makes reading text on some pictures difficult.

I like the idea of upgrading the forums, and I appreciate all the hard work, but... I'm not happy with the result.  Sorry.  :confused:

Click on the stars next to the thread.  That'd take you to the newest post you haven't read yet.

I do agree with you on the white text, though.  I changed the background to the sky-blue color, but it only changed the banner on top of the site and not the borders.

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 25 May 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#63 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

Click on the stars next to the thread.  That'd take you to the newest post you haven't read yet.

I do agree with you on the white text, though.  I changed the background to the sky-blue color, but it only changed the banner on top of the site and not the borders.

"Click on the stars" isn't my issue.  It's not being able to mark threads as being read.  I used to be able to "view unread posts" and I'd get a list of threads which had posts I hadn't read in them.  I could click on the ones that interested me, back up, and then "mark all read" and none of them would show up on the "view unread posts" search, again, unless a new post was made.  That feature is no longer present.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#64 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

Wow, what an upgrade. This will take some time to get used to though. Good job.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#65 StrawberryAcappella

StrawberryAcappella

If you can’t convince them, confuse them

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:A lot of fandom shiznit. I literally just read fanfiction and search the internet for fandom related things all day, even at school on my phone. My current love is Sherlock, but my long time love is Naruto. When im not doing what im supposed to im also practicing something musical~ because the classical variety of music making is tiresome...

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

AAHH! I just logged on for the first time in a month and I have no idea how to navigate This place anymore!!

My Awesome Birthday Banner My friend Made me!!!!

#66 tekopi

tekopi

Randomness Practitioner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Foods, Books, Martial Art, Play MPV, Rock Climbing, Camping, Ukulelelele, Sony MP3, Sony Xperia, Sony Everything!!

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

The last I posted is around 3 years ago...when I try to access last night, about 6 hours ago (right now 6.00 a.m in my place)...somethings went wrong...

and I thought some die hard anti-narusaku fan had successfully hacked the page and sabotage the sys... :sweatdrop:

LOL...my apology to them

BTW, this new page really rocks on...I'm really looking forward using it...keep it up !!  :ohboy:  :ohboy:  :ohboy:

Whoever had watched this cutie pie

a9LmPMo_700b_zpspu05hup0.jpg

You Are Sick...Just like me  :hehehe: 

#67 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

"Click on the stars" isn't my issue.  It's not being able to mark threads as being read.  I used to be able to "view unread posts" and I'd get a list of threads which had posts I hadn't read in them.  I could click on the ones that interested me, back up, and then "mark all read" and none of them would show up on the "view unread posts" search, again, unless a new post was made.  That feature is no longer present.

Since you mentioned that feature, I went to hunt for it myself and found at the verrrrrrry bottom of the page next to "change theme" and "help" there is a "mark community read" option. I believe that is the closet thing to what you are looking for.

The site looks great, Smiter! It'll take some adjusting though especially since the star/view new posts option doesn't seem to work on my iPad. It just takes me to the first post when I click the topic title :/ other than that, I can't wait for the new banners!

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#68 Chatte

Chatte

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,755 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

So for me, until now, the only things that aren't working are the spoilers.

Also, may I suggest something? Some additional smileys? I very much like the onion head ones. :D

If you guys would like it as well. :)

2d617bda57e68a9871d0769988a82b4b93870803

Still rambling about Naruto/NaruSaku stuff on

https://chatte-georgiana.com

#69 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Can I also make a suggestion? An arcade game corner, please. : 3

#70 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

Since you mentioned that feature, I went to hunt for it myself and found at the verrrrrrry bottom of the page next to "change theme" and "help" there is a "mark community read" option. I believe that is the closet thing to what you are looking for.

The site looks great, Smiter! It'll take some adjusting though especially since the star/view new posts option doesn't seem to work on my iPad. It just takes me to the first post when I click the topic title :/ other than that, I can't wait for the new banners!

Okay, that works.  I take back that complaint.  I still don't like the removal\archival of the library just so we could have this upgrade (I don't think the new features are worth the loss of the library), and clearly there are still lots of bugs that'll need fixing, but there was the suggestion of addressing the library later and the bugs ARE being fixed.  I'll give it time.

-Tonbo

#71 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

People, the spoilers work. Its only the previous spoiler tags from the original doesn't work. I had already explained how does it work:

Go to the third button, which look like a small grid, that's the special BBCode. Click and it would show you the options, scroll to Spoiler and do the rest (title, fill in text).

Well, the Library, unfortunately, is not "successfully" archive because even I cannot access it, since that was glued to the original database. Hoepfully, when Smiter comes back, he can check on it.

Oh, I'm not sure an arcade game section. We'll discuss about it soon.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#72 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Finally looking at the full version and wow, I'm impressed. I love it. Thank you. Keep updating.

#73 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

In regards to the Facebook page, there should be a profile pic and a cover photo for a little :nsdance:  personality ^_^

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#74 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:05 AM

So that's what was coming.

You trolls...I though we were going to be oficially canon in 10 hours yesterday ><

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#75 TerrorKing

TerrorKing

Glorified lurker of the deep!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

Man, everything is so shiny!  :wow:  

It's probably going to take some time to get used to, but overall I really like it.  ^_^

Edited by TerrorKing, 26 May 2013 - 12:28 AM.

ragnorak-heavydose-500-2.jpg

Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die

Won't you run, live to fly,

fly to live, Aces high

#76 StrawHatNaruto

StrawHatNaruto

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Video games, golf and tennis

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:22 AM

Love the update! Everything is much more accessible, but my only complaint is the layout of the mobile version. On my iphone it's difficult it navigate to new topics, not sure if you can change the mobile version layout but the upgrade is still a plus.

#77 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:48 AM

Okay, that works.  I take back that complaint.  I still don't like the removal\archival of the library just so we could have this upgrade (I don't think the new features are worth the loss of the library), and clearly there are still lots of bugs that'll need fixing, but there was the suggestion of addressing the library later and the bugs ARE being fixed.  I'll give it time.

Obviously you wouldn't know, but Smiter has been agonizing over the Library for a year. Yes, this new upgrade should have been instituted at least a year ago, but the current Library system was just not compatable with the new upgraded server/site. He's tried every way possible to try to integrate the Library with the new forum. He's spoken with Help Techs, tried different codes, anything and everything to try to make it work. So, cut the man some slack on the Library. How long could we keep this upgrade from going through, because the Library just refused to cooperate? Another year? Indefinitely? It was a hard choice to make, it wasn't easy. But we wanted Heaven and Earth to move forward. We've had the same look and design since the forum first went up almost 10 years ago. An update/upgrade has been well overdue. So, again I ask that you cut Smiter some slack. He tried, and continues to try to find a solution to the Library. Give the new site a chance. That's all we're asking of all our members.

#78 Orenji

Orenji

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:46 AM

I don't know if I just can't find it or if it doesn't exist, but is there a "View Recent Posts"s option like on the last one? I know there is a recent thread thing. Do you just have to follow a board now instead of being able to refresh in the recent posts?

#79 Jake

Jake

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

I don't know if I just can't find it or if it doesn't exist, but is there a "View Recent Posts"s option like on the last one? I know there is a recent thread thing. Do you just have to follow a board now instead of being able to refresh in the recent posts?

Yes there is. Its the "view new content" button, its at the top of the page between you profile button and the sign out button.

HampESig_zpsfc7d2080.jpg

#80 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

Yes there is. Its the "view new content" button, its at the top of the page between you profile button and the sign out button.

There's some extra options on the side too so you can choose to view only unread content or view within a certain time span. If you choose the time period option it functions just like the old "view recent posts" feature.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users