Fanfiction.net (the Pit) strikes again

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 23 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

You all gotta check this new FFnet mess out dry.gif

#2 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Mar 23 2008, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wellllll, THIS is a fine pickle. :-/

Bryon

#3 FullmetalNinja25

FullmetalNinja25

I'm The Alchemist.

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Video Games, Comic Books, Wrestling, Movies, Doctor Who and all sorts of stuff.

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

What a load of bs.

uc.png

#4 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:32 PM

This is why it is called the Pit, and the reason why so many writers on that site, are so gawd awful when it comes to proper grammar and punctuation. FFnet removes all good punctuation marks, so all the newb writers don't insert them into their fics, which means that they get absolutely no practice with how to form proper grammar and punctuation, and we end up with the 90% crap heap that is called Fanfiction.net dry.gif

#5 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:36 PM

Now I worry about if I post there, Shauna. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'm very worried I am gonna have this happen if I upload more soon...

Bryon

#6 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:34 PM

Er, what does it mean?

#7 Angel

Angel

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Music, Books, Video Games, Magic the Gathering, eating healthy and exercising.

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Yoshimoto Trigen @ Mar 23 2008, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er, what does it mean?

It means that newb writer (most of a young age) wont be able to practice proper grammar because they post fiction in FF.net. It also means fanfiction.net is the reason Hinatards with no real grammar exist? DX

#8 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:31 PM

Great.

Now I'm gonna stop posting over there.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#9 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:57 PM

SRSLY?

I've never been able to understand why FFN disallowed about 50% of the punctuation marks to begin with. Now I guess I better check my one-and-a-half stories to see what a unreadable pile they've become.

Er, more of an unreadable pile than they were already, anyway.
QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#10 SakuNaruLover

SakuNaruLover

Don't fear the darkness

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Gaming, reading manga, watching anime, playing games, reading fanfics, writing fanfics and my own stories, talking with my friends.<br /><br />Manga: <br />-naruto <br />-bleach<br />-clannad<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br /><br />Anime: <br />-naruto<br />-naruto shippuden<br />-bleach <br />-shakugan no shana<br />-shakugan no shana second<br />-clannad<br />-kanon<br />-air<br />-zero no tsukaima<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br />-code geass<br />-code geass r2<br />-gundam wing<br />-gundam 00<br />-melancholy of suzumiya haruhi<br />-hayate no gotoku

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

geez, this is annoying >.>;
I'm completely through with FF.net now. I'll remove my fics there and post them on other sites. I can't stand this crap anymore.
I am neither good nor evil, I am awake yet I dream

#11 Onionhead Attacks

Onionhead Attacks

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, eating, and sleeping =]

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:23 PM

Ahh.. great... I don't want to go back through my old documents to fix that stuff. I don't even have a copy of them anymore! dry.gif I'll just leave my stuff the way it is and if lots of people complain then I'll just remove the stories completely.

EDIT: It seems that ff.net had gone ahead and changed all my hyphen scene dividers all into their horizontal bars without my knowledge. I didn't know till I just looked over my old stories right now... way to mess with somebody's head...

Edited by Onionhead Attacks, 23 March 2008 - 09:30 PM.

Fanfiction.net C2: Heaven & Earth: A NaruSaku Library

ns-believe.jpg
Colored by me

#12 Travis

Travis

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

Doesn't seem so bad to me. They have a button now where you can ad a nice big long line to use a scene divider. But they are causing writers to go back and do a little bit of editing work. That is kind of annoying.

Still, grammer should be on the writer, and it should be up to tactful reviewers to help new writers with that.

#13 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Well peachy, man i miss back in the old days of the site fanfix.com or net what ever it was lol.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#14 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:17 PM

=>_>= hmm this worries me a bit. Iw a splanning on an attempt to post In your arms on FF.net but now.......

My grammars ok not as good as it could be, but if FF mess's with it to the point where it looks trully atrocious.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#15 Jin

Jin

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:01 AM

Do they even bother to explain why? I am wracking my brain and I cannot understand one bit why. Even if an author is posting on there and has horrible grammar all by themselves why should it matter to them.

#16 Samantha

Samantha

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:music of any genre, decaffeinated green tea, books, unexpected thunderstorms, freshly cut grass, sugar-free jello, skinny jeans, close friends, Fitzwilliam Darcy, morals, feminism, stargazing, multi colored socks, running so fast that you swear that you can fly, cloud watching, jumping into rain puddles, purple nail polish, freshly sharpened color pencils, Star Wars marathons, funky sunglasses, movie theatres, summertime, the Beatles, lazy days, daydreaming, 80’s music, history class, scrabble, Dr. Gregory House, photography, broken in converses, volunteering, and art.<br />

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:11 AM

*bangs head on desk*
fan-freaking-tastic.
111193.gif

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

#17 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:47 AM

Er... isn't it easier just to fix the stuff then to struggle in finding a new fanfiction site?

#18 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:53 AM

noooooo DX i love hyphen! its a nice subtle break rather than SOLID LINE ACROSS WHOLE PAGE =_= what possible reason could they give for removing it?

#19 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (Yoshimoto Trigen @ Mar 23 2008, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er... isn't it easier just to fix the stuff then to struggle in finding a new fanfiction site?

You're missing the point, Yoshi...they're a fiction website, one of the biggest in the world, and they are promoting bad grammar and punctuation...that's beyond wrong...it's damn near criminal.

#20 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:12 AM

Ah man that really sucks! I use the line breaks that are provided by FF. but my sympathies go out to those who use hypens. They could have at least sent a message out because now there is a bunch of mashed up words in a majority of fics!

Um also..why do they called FF "the pit"..? Never heard that one before XD

Edited by TrueSalvation, 24 March 2008 - 03:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users